PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 gigs plus is not a patch/ is a re download

Meleck
04-16-2013, 08:22 AM
They try to say it is a patch, yeah right.

Its a re download of the game to fix all the problems that they could not figure out how to patch properly per file. A real game patch to fix bugs should only need to fix certain files, the only reason they should force a 4 gig download is for new content. These guys Fail!!

ironhands
04-16-2013, 08:24 AM
I like turtles

Cropcord
04-16-2013, 08:26 AM
It seems that this should be called the general *****ing forum and not the general discussion forum. I find nothing else here

Shogo_Yahagi
04-16-2013, 08:26 AM
you're complaining about receiving additional content, that they told you from the start would be released as the game progressed?

I think he's complaining about the size of the patch file. The new content isn't related to the patch. I got new content last night on the PS3 without having to download a 4 gig patch.

mcwjimbo
04-16-2013, 08:27 AM
well since Microsoft and Sony limited trion on "patching" to every 2 weeks then expect this often & it isnt trions fault

scowl at the console people :-)

Dahdii
04-16-2013, 08:27 AM

Its a re download of the game to fix all the problems that they could not figure out how to patch properly per file. A real game patch to fix bugs should only need to fix certain files, the only reason they should force a 4 gig download is for new content. These guys Fail!!

Why the **** are you complaining?!?!?!? Wow people these days are insane, never are satisfied.

Phrase Universe
04-16-2013, 08:28 AM

So you made an account just to complain about this? Please leave.

Jitterbug
04-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Haha, hopefully some of these dweebs will be gone soon, and pretty much all that will be left are players, not doomsayers.

JTheJackal
2h31 until it's finished for me. Woe is my connection.

fishboy11
you're complaining about receiving additional content, that they told you from the start would be released as the game progressed?

what new content? as far as i know those 2 useless pursuits that we got yesterday are the only content we get until the dlc that has been pushed back for at least 3 weeks comes out, and i'm willing to bet that dlc has jack squat in it besides more recycled content

EdgeTW
04-16-2013, 08:32 AM

The original poster has a legitimate point. Those patch notes do not justify having to re-download almost half of the game again. Come on, that is obvious as day. Nobody should be defending this.

This is a problem with the way they've chosen to manage their file system. I've seen this in a few other games, where the tiniest update requires downloading huge pack files again rather than simply being able to download the changes and apply them to the file in the form of a patch. We're not patching files, we're replacing them.

This is a serious pain in the neck for anyone with monthly bandwith restrictions or slower download speeds. It will take me over 8 hours to download this patch with my DSL, because that's how long it takes me to download 4 GB of data.

We're not in beta anymore. This is live now, and this "patch" system stinks. You don't throw 4 GB of downloads at players for changes this small. If you can not (for example) correct a 2 MB texture issue on a single outfit without having everyone re-download an entire 200 MB texture.wad file again, you're doing something horribly wrong.

I realize this is difficult to care about when your ISP speeds allow you to download a 4 GB patch in 30 minutes, but that does not make what I said above any less true, or the patch setup any less stupid. It just makes it more tolerable and easier to ignore.

Shogo_Yahagi
04-16-2013, 08:36 AM
well since Microsoft and Sony limited trion on "patching" to every 2 weeks then expect this often & it isnt trions fault

Yes, how unreasonable of the console makers to insist upon quality control before releasing content, when if Trion had done more quality control ahead of time, we wouldn't need such an enormous patch. Remind me. How many games has Sony released, and how many has Trion released?

You can lay this at Trion's feet for releasing such a poor first client, and for doing no real beta testing for the consoles, and for ignoring the results of the testing they did do. Many of the things they are patching were apparently reported ages ago.

Scowl at the pc people who don't know as much as they think they do about consoles. ;-)

jazz
04-16-2013, 08:37 AM

wow what a great first post thanks for contributing :rolleyes: I'll bet if the patch was small we would have a flood of "WTF is up with this small patch size posts" so there is no pleasing some people

Spencley
04-16-2013, 08:37 AM

Only thing is nothing has changed, No new content. 1 reward got a new skin... Data Recorders are still broken, missions are still missing, PVP maps still missing. Random Roadside encounters no longer reward you with even a single Keycode.

squidgod2000
04-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Mine says 8.6 gigs, which means I've got to delete a game to make room on my ssd... decisions decisions...

Xaearth
04-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Does the concept of time-locked content mean nothing to you people?

It's not like it was just YESTERDAY that new content was added without a patch... :rolleyes:

Tgreen
04-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Someone walks by you on the street and gives you a bag with a 100 grand in it, no strings attached.
Some people here would rage and whine how it wasnt 200 instead!

At least this is the mindset your displaying, maybe think about your attitude of entiteled whining.
I blame the mothers really, either edging on abandonment or smothering more often than not. Women, take an example of these nerds here and do not mistreat your childs emotional attachment, all futer internet forums will be thankfull to you!

It's not like it was just YESTERDAY that new content was added without a patch... :rolleyes:

Does the concept of unlocking content that was hidden and unavailable, but already part of the client, mean anything to you? :P

ironhands
04-16-2013, 08:43 AM
I think he's complaining about the size of the patch file. The new content isn't related to the patch. I got new content last night on the PS3 without having to download a 4 gig patch.

No, but why not release it all at once when you're able?

Pyth

Well soorrry.

Some of us didn't want to pay $2,000 for a gaming rig just to play indie games on Steam.

RedKelrick
Yes, how unreasonable of the console makers to insist upon quality control before releasing content, when if Trion had done more quality control ahead of time, we wouldn't need such an enormous patch. Remind me. How many games has Sony released, and how many has Trion released?

You can lay this at Trion's feet for releasing such a poor first client, and for doing no real beta testing for the consoles, and for ignoring the results of the testing they did do. Many of the things they are patching were apparently reported ages ago.

Scowl at the pc people who don't know as much as they think they do about consoles. ;-)

Doesn't help with a beta test environment when they have to give Microsoft builds that are older months in advance just to get approval for dispersal. This is as pointed out a console only issue. PC doesn't have to release things for prior approval. Also Microsoft is hardly making sure the game works properly before they release. They just make sure the game won't fry or unlock things that they don't want available to the public. The patch could have broken non-functioning things in it and they'd still release it.

JTheJackal
04-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Does the concept of time-locked content mean nothing to you people?

This. Just because it's patching now, doesn't mean everything has to be available at once.

Rhorge
04-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Holy shtako, now that you have the patch you complain that it's too big?

ironhands
04-16-2013, 08:45 AM
what new content? as far as i know those 2 useless pursuits that we got yesterday are the only content we get until the dlc that has been pushed back for at least 3 weeks comes out, and i'm willing to bet that dlc has jack squat in it besides more recycled content

just because you can't access it yet, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Having the new music, models, etc, now, means when the DLC or new missions are triggered, they won't require a download. Same reason we already all have Volge models in our folders.

Kogru
04-16-2013, 08:46 AM
The size of this patch is disappointing if they are not secretly adding future content to the game (which will eventually be unlocked). 4.2gigs is actually a lot to people with bandwidth limits and slow internet. But i really have to believe they have added more stuff than they are telling us about, because last week on the PC version that was a small patch that was only a few megs that fixed some bugs.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 08:46 AM
This. Just because it's patching now, doesn't mean everything has to be available at once.

exactly. we knew from the start that we'd be receiving episodic content, why would they require a download every time they added a new, if they could incorporate it into the major updates and/or original release?

JMadFour
04-16-2013, 08:47 AM
*shrug*

don't care whether its a re-download or a patch. just so long as shtako gets fixed.

Shawnchapp
04-16-2013, 08:47 AM

Just started the download, downloading at 10mbps be done in 45 mins :P

Rhorge
04-16-2013, 08:48 AM
The size of this patch is disappointing if they are not secretly adding future content to the game (which will eventually be unlocked). 4.2gigs is actually a lot to people with bandwidth limits and slow internet. But i really have to believe they have added more stuff than they are telling us about, because last week on the PC version that was a small patch that was only a few megs that fixed some bugs.

Playing MMOs with bandwidth limits and slow internet is not the optimal idea.

Man With No Name
04-16-2013, 08:49 AM
Somewhere in here I believe an Adam Orth saying is needed.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 08:49 AM
Only thing is nothing has changed, No new content. 1 reward got a new skin... Data Recorders are still broken, missions are still missing, PVP maps still missing. Random Roadside encounters no longer reward you with even a single Keycode.

nothing has changed YET. they just haven't triggered the code that activates the NPC to start the missions or spawned new arkfalls.

JTheJackal
04-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Just started the download, downloading at 10mbps be done in 45 mins :P

Must you tease? :(

Voyavoda
04-16-2013, 08:50 AM
FFS...would you freaking babies give it a rest... 'where's the patch'...'they lie'...'this isn't a patch'....blah blah blah....

Damn babies in this community.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 08:51 AM
The original poster has a legitimate point. Those patch notes do not justify having to re-download almost half of the game again. Come on, that is obvious as day. Nobody should be defending this.

This is a problem with the way they've chosen to manage their file system. I've seen this in a few other games, where the tiniest update requires downloading huge pack files again rather than simply being able to download the changes and apply them to the file in the form of a patch. We're not patching files, we're replacing them.

This is a serious pain in the neck for anyone with monthly bandwith restrictions or slower download speeds. It will take me over 8 hours to download this patch with my DSL, because that's how long it takes me to download 4 GB of data.

We're not in beta anymore. This is live now, and this "patch" system stinks. You don't throw 4 GB of downloads at players for changes this small. If you can not (for example) correct a 2 MB texture issue on a single outfit without having everyone re-download an entire 200 MB texture.wad file again, you're doing something horribly wrong.

I realize this is difficult to care about when your ISP speeds allow you to download a 4 GB patch in 30 minutes, but that does not make what I said above any less true, or the patch setup any less stupid. It just makes it more tolerable and easier to ignore.

has anyone posted what files were actually transferred? do we know conclusively that the files we got overwrote existing files, or were they additional/new files?

Kogru
04-16-2013, 08:53 AM
someone who has patched just needs to check the size of the install folder, if its bigger than 10.8gigs (or however big it was) then they added stuff to the game.

Xavier Horovitz
04-16-2013, 08:55 AM
As a Battlefield 3 player who is used to patches taking up a few gigs for some ungodly reason, I am okay with this.

Fenomenom
04-16-2013, 08:55 AM
someone who has patched just needs to check the size of the install folder, if its bigger than 10.8gigs (or however big it was) then they added stuff to the game.

After patch it's 10.8 gig.

Also glad to say that nothing was removed, no skills were reset and vehicle levels ego was added retro actively. (I was 864 ego yesterday, today 950'ish)

Cynical Jester
04-16-2013, 08:56 AM
wow what a great first post thanks for contributing :rolleyes: I'll bet if the patch was small we would have a flood of "WTF is up with this small patch size posts" so there is no pleasing some people

Pretty much.. can't make anyone happy no matter how hard you try. Please keep the fixes and updates coming no matter how big they are...

Maybe their were some very critical files that needed to be changed and they simply couldn't just "update" them.

Perhaps every file needed to be updated hence why we have to download everyone of them again...

Maybe a guy hit the wrong button or packed it wrong from being so damn tired from working on fixes for the game constantly around the clock to make sure all you whinos stay happy... Bet you've never made a mistake right?

We don't know why it is as big as it is but I bet they have a good reason even if its the last one... They are humans delivering us quality entertainment and all many of you can do is complain at every ****ing turn... JUST DON'T PLAY...

I'm just glad a majority of the players and often the more satisfied are the vocal minority and the whiners are the vocal majority. Always need something to ***** about.

Its one thing to make a suggestion or to report a bug, but new flame threads every second is getting ridiculous.

They are juggling a lot right now, 3 platforms, a show, a new launch etc.. etc..

Just stop for one second and think how they feel.. Do any of you whiners work or deal with the public? No? Go try it!

They gave away over $500 of stuff just last night and all people could do was ***** about how they didn't talk about the patch... Not to mention all the perks the pre-order people got...

Just stop and say thank you, or maybe ask politely why it was so big in a live chat or something... But chill... If your not satisfied with how they are handling things or the game itself.. go away...

I'm sure they'd rather listen to you whine than lose a customer though... I would never make a good CEO of a game company.. I would ban all the stupid people and probably piss off the investors / publishers.

This is comparing chickens to pterodactyls now but I ran a Minecraft server for awhile when it was popping off and made decent money from VIP memberships and donations... I ultimately shut it down and refunded some peoples money because a majority.. especially the older ones... were spoiled little *****es and I got tired of dealing with them... It was a constant flood of new *******s every day, paying *******s, demanding *******s.

Cut people some slack.

rxl209
04-16-2013, 08:59 AM
what are you playing on the wii u? its only 4 gigs relax

rxl209
04-16-2013, 09:00 AM
mine took 16 minutes

DustOfDeath
04-16-2013, 09:01 AM
its not "only" 4 gb - perhaps it is for you with ur fancy 100mbit connections, half the world has barely 5 mbit or even 1mbit.

rxl209
04-16-2013, 09:02 AM
when you make statements with absolutely no data to support them you kind of embarass yourself

hardy83
04-16-2013, 09:02 AM
How do you know exactly how big the patches are?
My launcher only shows the download speed and time left. I can't only guess how big it is by putting those two numbers together.

Does 360 or PS3 actually show the size?

Spencley
04-16-2013, 09:03 AM
nothing has changed YET. they just haven't triggered the code that activates the NPC to start the missions or spawned new arkfalls.

wait... they they have not triggered the code that will implement all the fixes listed? Pistols still missing ammo in PVP, Data recorders missing, Missions missing Missions broken....

ironhands
04-16-2013, 09:04 AM
wait... they they have not triggered the code that will implement all the fixes listed? Pistols still missing ammo in PVP, Data recorders missing, Missions missing Missions broken....

did you see where i said "NPC to start the missions"? Where did I say anything about general bug fixes? We were discussing additional content

Cynical Jester
04-16-2013, 09:04 AM
its not "only" 4 gb - perhaps it is for you with ur fancy 100mbit connections, half the world has barely 5 mbit or even 1mbit.

Go away.. I spent most of my younger life on 56k and never once *****ed about the size of a patch for any game or the frequency of them. I played WoW in vanilla, and if anyone else did then they know how the patches went down then... Get over it.. its 4 gigs.

rxl209
04-16-2013, 09:05 AM

just because youre either a: too poor for faster internet, or b: live in some backwoods rural area, dont expect developers to gimp the game for the rest of us, gaming is not a hobby for poor people

Khufu
04-16-2013, 09:06 AM

You do know that PS3 users aren't getting the patch today, right? Now who will you blame?

Pyth
After patch it's 10.8 gig.

Also glad to say that nothing was removed, no skills were reset and vehicle levels ego was added retro actively. (I was 864 ego yesterday, today 950'ish)
That's great to know. I'm glad the skill/ego points apply retroactively. Was one of my few big concerns about the patch.

EdgeTW

No.. if the patch were tiny but still contained the same patch notes, we'd be saying "wow, your patching system is super efficient. Nice job!".

That you think "large download size" = "massive changes in content" tells me you must be incredibly new to MMOs, or incredibly oblivious to how this all works. Which is it?

DustOfDeath
04-16-2013, 09:07 AM
the fact that you have high speed internet and telling those who cant have it to **** off is not an excuse for a massive patch for soo little amoutn of fixes.

rxl209
04-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Well soorrry.

Some of us didn't want to pay $2,000 for a gaming rig just to play indie games on Steam.
thats odd because my pc cost 600 dollars, plays all the biggest multiplats, and at a higher resolution with better framerates than any console including the new 720/ps4, i could be wrong, is the xbox version of this game 1080p 60 fps. lol

EdgeTW
04-16-2013, 09:09 AM
just because youre either a: too poor for faster internet, or b: live in some backwoods rural area, dont expect developers to gimp the game for the rest of us, gaming is not a hobby for poor people

Hey look.. it's another person making the mistake of believing that large patch size automatically means tons of content. Couldn't possibly be an inefficient patching system that requires the complete replacement of large .wad files rather than having the ability to simply patch/modify them with the small changes we're actually getting.

Why don't you go into the game and tell us where 4 GB of content has been added. Did they increase the amount of gamespace/content/stuff by 50%? How strange that the install size on the disk didn't change post-patch.

(shakes head)

If I fix a texture seam on your infiltrator outfit and that small change to the infiltrator's texture file requires you to re-download the entire 200 MB pack file containing all the outfit art.. that is not "a ton of content". That is you mistakenly believing you're receiving a ton of content when in reality I'm just saddling you with a crap patch system.

3rdpig
04-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Well soorrry.

Dude, Defiance is an Xbox port, you can buy a PC for $600 that will run it at double the FPS it runs on the Xbox. I paid $600 for my quad core desktop PC 4 years ago, added a $200 video board and a $100 power supply and it runs Defiance at 70 FPS. And that's a 4 year old computer, the same $600 today will buy a considerably faster one than I've got.

I agree that computers are more expensive than consoles, but let's try to keep the exaggerations within reason, ok?

Shinobi
04-16-2013, 09:13 AM
No, but why not release it all at once when you're able?

Cause then it would be a 8 gig patch?

Pyth
04-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Dude, Defiance is an Xbox port, you can buy a PC for $600 that will run it at double the FPS it runs on the Xbox. I paid $600 for my quad core desktop PC 4 years ago, added a $200 video board and a $100 power supply and it runs Defiance at 70 FPS. And that's a 4 year old computer, the same $600 today will buy a considerably faster one than I've got.

I agree that computers are more expensive than consoles, but let's try to keep the exaggerations within reason, ok?
It was a joke.

Glad I got paragraphs out of some of you though.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Cause then it would be a 8 gig patch?

i didn't finish my statement, meant to say when you're able to release it in chunks.

mcwjimbo
04-16-2013, 09:26 AM

They are juggling a lot right now, 3 platforms, a show, a new launch etc.. etc..

^ THIS

there are a ton of fingers in the pie and a multitude of different managers that everything has to be filtered through

-Trion
-Microsoft
-Sony
-Scy-Fy
- & hell, Ford probably has something in its contracts making sure things have to go through their management team as well for approval and tweaks

fsol
04-16-2013, 09:39 AM
14 min to get it all downed here,but i can understand ppl that have limited or slow bandwith.
Having to get this is a pain in that situation.

And as Xavier sad if you play bf3 you know the drill.

Do hope thigns are changed cause the game does still need a lot off work.

Yes i know its just launched and yes its a mmo , have played dozens off them(even alpha/beta tested) for over 20 years now.
Still the issue here is imo tha thtey rushed to get on shedule with the tv show.

All in all i do enjoy the game except for the pvp cheatbaboons,still have 3 headmissions to do and half the underpart of the map has sidequests left +need to do 90% off challenges and timetrials.
I aint in no hurry so as long as they fix it in the end its kk lets hope that end isnt to far away or the fun might end for real.

Mewmew
04-16-2013, 09:50 AM
This patch is frigging ridiculous... Seriously. I figured there'd be a patch but what the heck this is crazy. And as others have mentioned, this is like a re-download, this isn't a patch. I really like the game but what the hey this patch system is nuts. I thought I'd be playing the game in a few minutes. Instead I need to download for 4 hours and tie up my Internet / phone / TV to do so?

As others mentioned this isn't that much new content, it's just a horribly inefficient patch system. This is not reasonable...

Chivaro
04-16-2013, 09:53 AM
This patch is frigging ridiculous... Seriously. I figured there'd be a patch but what the heck this is crazy. And as others have mentioned, this is like a re-download, this isn't a patch. I really like the game but what the hey this patch system is nuts. I thought I'd be playing the game in a few minutes. Instead I need to download for 4 hours and tie up my Internet / phone / TV to do so?

As others mentioned this isn't that much new content, it's just a horribly inefficient patch system. This is not reasonable...
I second this. A patch to fix stuff shouldn't be this large. If it was new content it would be understandable.

MacDeath
04-16-2013, 09:54 AM
someone who has patched just needs to check the size of the install folder, if its bigger than 10.8gigs (or however big it was) then they added stuff to the game. I finished patching. Took ~ 10 minutes to download and apply. Downloaded at 52 Mb/s (that's about 6 MB/s) and as fast as my ISP lets me download. The folder is 10.8 GB.

Cynical Jester
04-16-2013, 09:58 AM
I second this. A patch to fix stuff shouldn't be this large. If it was new content it would be understandable.

Thank god you weren't around during the Salem witch trials... All the kids would be dead and probably half the town.

Interface
04-16-2013, 09:59 AM

I hope your computer blows up.

Autherial
04-16-2013, 10:03 AM
I am so tired of people complaining that the patch is 4gigs and say its redownloading the game. You are not redownloading the game people its a patch.

Kuldred
04-16-2013, 10:13 AM
You can really tell who has and who has not played MMOs before. A regular MMO player barely bats an eye at this patch, non-MMOers scream like you kicked thier dog. Pretty funny actually! I'm also enjoying the tears from people with slow internet complaining that Trion isn't catering to them. Unreal.

Naturi
04-16-2013, 10:20 AM
How do you know exactly how big the patches are?
My launcher only shows the download speed and time left. I can't only guess how big it is by putting those two numbers together.

Does 360 or PS3 actually show the size?

If you look in the install directory, there is a patcher.log file. if you scroll down you will see a line that states how big the patch is. this one says:

Downloading 3717.13 MB

or ~4GB. it also lists the files that get patched.

Shastra
04-16-2013, 10:22 AM

What additional content we received:confused: which is worth 4 gigs download?

Magrock
04-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Wait, people actually don't have proper internet yet? This shouldn't take long to download at all. I suggest you toss your 56k modem out the door

ironhands
04-16-2013, 10:28 AM
What additional content we received:confused: which is worth 4 gigs download?

don't know, haven't checked what was actually downloaded yet, but there's a possibility that the large download contained content which hasn't been spawned yet. just because we haven't seen it in the game yet, doesn't mean that it isn't on our drives. we already know we have Volge models in our installation.

jazz
04-16-2013, 10:31 AM

No.. if the patch were tiny but still contained the same patch notes, we'd be saying "wow, your patching system is super efficient. Nice job!".

That you think "large download size" = "massive changes in content" tells me you must be incredibly new to MMOs, or incredibly oblivious to how this all works. Which is it?

I think you may be confused and need to read, make sure to highlight in bold letters and large text size where in my post I mentioned large size=massive changes :confused:

rxl209
04-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Hey look.. it's another person making the mistake of believing that large patch size automatically means tons of content. Couldn't possibly be an inefficient patching system that requires the complete replacement of large .wad files rather than having the ability to simply patch/modify them with the small changes we're actually getting.

Why don't you go into the game and tell us where 4 GB of content has been added. Did they increase the amount of gamespace/content/stuff by 50%? How strange that the install size on the disk didn't change post-patch.

(shakes head)

If I fix a texture seam on your infiltrator outfit and that small change to the infiltrator's texture file requires you to re-download the entire 200 MB pack file containing all the outfit art.. that is not "a ton of content". That is you mistakenly believing you're receiving a ton of content when in reality I'm just saddling you with a crap patch system.
im looking for the part in my comment where i say anything about content.....nope, not a word, you typed up a very long reply for nothing

Technodude
04-16-2013, 10:32 AM
don't know, haven't checked what was actually downloaded yet, but there's a possibility that the large download contained content which hasn't been spawned yet. just because we haven't seen it in the game yet, doesn't mean that it isn't on our drives. we already know we have Volge models in our installation.

So you are flaming him just on basis of speculation? i read the patch not i don't see anything about content yet.

ChrisJSY
04-16-2013, 10:33 AM

Yeah, semi on this track; even if we don't have access to new areas it should still be there in the base install.
In fact, as long as they've finished the world/quests/vo & sounds/etc up to end of season 1 it should all be there. However I warn you this, considering the state of game in the starter zone, all the bugs and issues, can you imagine how it is for the much newer content which hasn't had as much time to QA. Yikes.

The ironic thing I find is that people constantly spew the whole "consoles need to go through rigorous QA/testing before going live" and they still can't get it right. Although it's impossible to tell with whome the fault lies.

Rannin
04-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Eh it only took me ~20 minutes to download it. Sorry your internet is bad, but getting the game fixed is more important than the method they use to do so. I would rather have large patches over a broken game.

Speedstersonic
04-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Wait, people actually don't have proper internet yet? This shouldn't take long to download at all. I suggest you toss your 56k modem out the door

Can't help I live in the country due to family and the only option is 2megabit per sec dsl or satellite that would be slightly fast dl but way higher ping. Wish the whole world had great internet instead of putting down people born in locations not suited.

Naturi
04-16-2013, 10:36 AM

Not everyone can get decent high speed. Esp. those who live in rural areas. Some actually do have to settle for dial-up or extremely slow i-net connections.

Just recently here where I live, the power company ended up buying the phone company. So for cost cutting efforts, they decided to run fibre to every business / home in the COUNTY. so now anyone can get speeds up to 100 MB/s for an actually VERY reasonable price ( $150); as well, they can get cable television, when before it was unavailable to them. Before they did that, people were limited to 1-2 Mb/s download speed or slower (dial-up). so not everyone has access to high-speed internet

ironhands
04-16-2013, 10:39 AM
So you are flaming him just on basis of speculation? i read the patch not i don't see anything about content yet.

No, I thought the OP was implying that part of the large download was new inactive content. They may be pre-downloading new content for missions or DLC, I can't confirm it's that, or if the patcher simply overwrote a lot of the already installed files.

Munx
04-16-2013, 10:42 AM
4.2 gigs does seem way over the top based on whats in patch notes.

And it definatly is taking its sweet time to download.

Mivo
04-16-2013, 10:43 AM
The problem is not that they patch the game or add content. The issue is that the patcher is terribly and inefficiently designed. Instead of using a Diff-based system, like most everyone in the industry (basically, patches alter existing files with only the changes), Defiance requires you to re-download entire files, even if you already have most of the data. I am pretty sure that with a properly design system, this patch would be substantially under 1 GB. Bandwidth is never free, not for the company, not for the customers.

On top of that, the patcher (on the PC) will reset whenever a hotfix is released. For example, if you have downloaded 3 GB of the patch and Trion releases a 10 MB hotfix, you start the download of the 3 GB again from scratch. It took some people 50+ GB and more until they had finally downloaded the game (10 GB). I had to ask a friend to send me a flash drive with the game files because the download kept resetting.

So, TL;DR: Patches good, patcher bad. And your personal internet speed is irrelevant because you didn't pay for anyone else's game.

Boom Boom
04-16-2013, 10:43 AM

Wow what a ******ed thing to say.

Greyhawk
04-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Honestly 4 gigs isn't bad for a MMO patch I have seen MMO patches go up to 20 gigs. I think the trouble is that most Xbox players are not used to playing MMO games as I have seen lots of threads complaining about things that any seasoned MMO player would consider normal lol.

Murzin
04-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Well soorrry.

this is the problem. console players think you need a high end gaming rig to play games on the PC.

you could not be more ignorant.

ram: 100$
cpu: $150
PSU: $150
GPU: $140
Case: $140
MoBo: $130
Keyboard+Mouse: $80
Monitor: $250
Blu-Ray DVDRW: $80
3Com NIC: $25

$1250 for a decent gaming rig.

keep in mind, these are high quality parts. if you want to skimp, you certainly can. you really do not know how low the technical specs are for consoles, even the "next gen" that will be coming out later this year and next year.

the above PC will have higher specs and better quality parts than the next gen consoles. and the console lifetime is 4-6 years. so the above PC will keep you in games until at least 2016 and maybe 2017.

keep in mind, that there are only certain things that have to be upgraded/replaced together. ram+cpu+mobo are the only parts you really need to buy together to ensure compatibility.

oh, and you will be able to draw a 1920x1080 picture without upscaling at 60 FPS. something not even the next generation consoles will be able to do at 30 FPS.

Magrock
04-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Can't help I live in the country due to family and the only option is 2megabit per sec dsl or satellite that would be slightly fast dl but way higher ping. Wish the whole world had great internet instead of putting down people born in locations not suited.

I feel for you, but that's not Trions fault. If they need to make a patch this big, they can't magically make it smaller because a few players have a bad internet.

DeathTrap
04-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Just thought I'd quote this - fantastic post. This is an unreasonable patch - way too large for the number of fixes. They are not adding 4 GB of new content - if they were, the install folder would get much larger. Instead, it's staying about the same. It's clear that we're downloading parts of the game again instead of just the relevant pieces that need patching.

Sogreth
04-16-2013, 10:49 AM

Thank you!! I still got some item since my ego rating 170 -_-

wilks
04-16-2013, 10:50 AM
I really hope they figure out how to patch properly. This is going to eat up ppls data caps if they don't.

MacDeath
04-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Not everyone can get decent high speed. Esp. those who live in rural areas. Some actually do have to settle for dial-up or extremely slow i-net connections.

Just recently here where I live, the power company ended up buying the phone company. So for cost cutting efforts, they decided to run fibre to every business / home in the COUNTY. so now anyone can get speeds up to 100 MB/s for an actually VERY reasonable price ( $150); as well, they can get cable television, when before it was unavailable to them. Before they did that, people were limited to 1-2 Mb/s download speed or slower (dial-up). so not everyone has access to high-speed internet
It all depends on what part of the world you live in. Here in Skandinavia, the governments have decided that EVERYONE in the lands deserves access to broadband internet. I used to live out in the country in Sweden, I had the same access speed that people in the cities had. Now I live in the capital district of Denmark. America has decided that internet access isn't a national issue, so internet providers aren't required to provide equal access bandwidth (for equal cost). Talk to your elected officials.

Mivo
Honestly 4 gigs isn't bad for a MMO patch I have seen MMO patches go up to 20 gigs. I think the trouble is that most Xbox players are not used to playing MMO games as I have seen lots of threads complaining about things that any seasoned MMO player would consider normal lol.

It is not normal, no. Several GB are expected if an expansion is released and you bought a digital edition. 4 GB is ANYTHING but normal for a bugfix patch after release. This is not a beta. As explained above, the issue is not that there is 4 GB of content. The problem is that there is NOT 4 GB of content and that the system is just poorly designed and re-sends whole files instead of the parts that have changed. Pretty much everyone else uses Diff-based systems, because bandwidth is not free.

Elric1
did for 700 and lasted well over 5 years before Vid card took a dump.

Mivo
04-16-2013, 10:52 AM

It is not normal, no. Several GB are expected if an expansion is released and you bought a digital edition. 4 GB is ANYTHING but normal for a bugfix patch after release. This is not a beta. As explained above, the issue is not that there is 4 GB of content. The problem is that there is NOT 4 GB of content and that the system is just poorly designed and re-sends whole files instead of the parts that have changed. Pretty much everyone else uses Diff-based systems, because bandwidth is not free.

Another
04-16-2013, 10:52 AM

Wow this is the first time I've seen someone complain about receiving "more" content.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 10:53 AM
this is the problem. console players think you need a high end gaming rig to play games on the PC.

you can totally cut that down. $150 on a psu? $140 on a case? can probably skip the dvdrw and NIC as well, with an on-board and a dvdrw, easily <$1k

wilks
04-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Wow this is the first time I've seen someone complain about receiving "more" content.

Do you really think its 4.2gigs of new content when the game itself was 4gigs? Its a reinstall. Not a patch.

Rannin
04-16-2013, 10:57 AM
you can totally cut that down. $150 on a psu? $140 on a case? can probably skip the dvdrw and NIC as well, with an on-board and a dvdrw, easily <$1k
You could also get 8 gb of RAM for like 60 bucks. Really no need to spend 100 for 16gbs or more...

higher2003
04-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Actually I like seeing how many people online complaining. it's like watching Jerry Springer; it makes me happy to see people with a puddle for a gene pool attempt to type and I feel ever so superior to all of them for it. Hmm.. Thank you for being less than I am losers whom complain without merit or cause! =)

Haha did you read that back ******!

Wrenito
04-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Well soorrry.

Some of us didn't want to pay $2,000 for a gaming rig just to play indie games on Steam.Must be rough being poor.

Hostee
04-16-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm assuming you guys are refering to the PC version of the game, when you speak of a 4.2 GB patch? I just patched my Xbox version of defiance and no I'm not exactly sure how big it was but I'm 100% sure it wasen't 4.2 GB..... I downloaded the patch in 30 mins on a 7MB ADSL connection, so therefore it's impossible the update was that big.....

DeathTrap
04-16-2013, 11:01 AM

keep in mind, these are high quality parts. if you want to skimp, you certainly can. you really do not know how low the technical specs are for consoles, even the "next gen" that will be coming out later this year and next year.

the above PC will have higher specs and better quality parts than the next gen consoles. and the console lifetime is 4-6 years. so the above PC will keep you in games until at least 2016 and maybe 2017.

keep in mind, that there are only certain things that have to be upgraded/replaced together. ram+cpu+mobo are the only parts you really need to buy together to ensure compatibility.

oh, and you will be able to draw a 1920x1080 picture without upscaling at 60 FPS. something not even the next generation consoles will be able to do at 30 FPS.

$1250 is actually really expensive compared to the price of a console. A console that you don't have to worry about upgrading for half a dozen years.

UglyCoyote
04-16-2013, 11:01 AM
omg we live in times of LTE for every phone and laptop (just google) which is over vodafone available in nearly every country so that every farmer in the wilderness can use 50 mbit internet !!!!

Nextic
04-16-2013, 11:02 AM
ITT: Console kids first MMO

DeathTrap
04-16-2013, 11:02 AM

If you had read the entire thread, you would realize that there is not 4 GB of new content. Not even close.

Munx
04-16-2013, 11:03 AM
ITT: Console kids first MMO

sounds like its your first mmo, if you think 4.2gb bug fix patches is normal.

Wrenito
04-16-2013, 11:03 AM
$1250 is actually really expensive compared to the price of a console. A console that you don't have to worry about upgrading for half a dozen years.You can build a gaming rig for 500. That guy that posted 1250 doesn't know what he's talking about.

DodgeThis
04-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Big patch, wonder if the console is the same? That would be a hit on a hard drive each time, wonder how much each DLC will be as well.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 11:04 AM
You could also get 8 gb of RAM for like 60 bucks. Really no need to spend 100 for 16gbs or more...

yeah my system is pretty sad, core 2 duo with 8gb ram, 3 24" monitors on radeon 8900. need a new mobo/ram/cpu pretty bad, should be around 350-450 for a quad i7. wanna get the asus sabertooth

Hostee
04-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Big patch, wonder if the console is the same?

If you would of read my post, 1 page back you would of known.....

Greyhawk
04-16-2013, 11:06 AM

That is standard for most MMO patches at first. As I have said playing things like EQ SWTOR FFXI and quite a few other MMO games from day one I have seen plenty of patches go for 4 gigs just as I have seen servers go down for two or three days for maintenance.

Nextic
04-16-2013, 11:08 AM

Oh look, a "No U!" Retort... Stay original console peasant.

Mivo
04-16-2013, 11:08 AM
omg we live in times of LTE for every phone and laptop (just google) which is over vodafone available in nearly every country so that every farmer in the wilderness can use 50 mbit internet !!!!

Doesn't it have a 4 GB cap per month and then you pay quite a lot for every additional MB? LTE really isn't ready for cable/DSL-like use yet. Read up on the technology and on the availability (the LTE nodes are shared by a lot of people, and it is fairly limited). They advertise it as if you could use it like cable or DSL, but this is only true on the paper and in the ads.

Saraya
04-16-2013, 11:09 AM

Yes, well do remember this only PART of the big patches. This is just a portion of them bringing the game to a retail status.

Additional content? Are you reading the same patch notes with "FIXED FIXED FIXED from top to bottom?"

Munx
Oh look, a "No U!" Retort... Stay original console peasant.

Pc Peasant thank you, and this peasant has 15 years of mmo experience, most of which was a peasants life.

Snow

Yup and if they postponed the game for a week to come out the 9th then people would whine and moan about it being delayed for the extra quality control so it doesnt matter what or when its always cry cry cry.

too bad there isnt a block function to block useless threads :(

Omnifarious Xji
04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Shtako, my Walmart knock off was 300 dollars, plays Starcraft II on Ultra at 25 FPS. Hell, it even plays Arma II high at 20-25 FPS.

Saraya
04-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Didn't see this ..once again Edge summing it up perfectly :

Helvidnir
04-16-2013, 11:11 AM

Internet is not like 10 years ago. Today we have high speed internet everywhere.
Since the developer is "up to date" and not 10 years behind it is logical that they update accordingly.

ps: took me 10 minutes to download the patch with around 47mbits/sec
Would take 30 minutes if someone has 16mbits which is more than common where I live.
30 minutes would be a meal, or some homework..or a fine shower.

Clarkeh
04-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Well personally i see this is a good thing they could have thrown the patch at us and then let us into the game and deal with these bugs they have found during thier hour of QA and thier on the case to squash it.

Mivo
04-16-2013, 11:15 AM
That is standard for most MMO patches at first. As I have said playing things like EQ SWTOR FFXI and quite a few other MMO games from day one I have seen plenty of patches go for 4 gigs just as I have seen servers go down for two or three days for maintenance.

Not true for EQ, not true for SW:TOR. Not true for WoW, UO, DAoC, Warhammer and several others I had played on release, either. You remember incorrectly. Several GB only happen if it is a beta or an expansion.

None of this changes the fact that the patch size is so large because of a software design issue with the patching system, not because there is so much new content or the changes actually require such a large size.

They should just have used Steam for the PC version. Then they wouldn't even have needed to come up with something of their own (Rift had the same problem).

Calranthe
04-16-2013, 11:22 AM
4.2g is not that bad a size of patch for an mmo gamer especially on the pc, I don't think trion are evil or on some mad plan to destroy your bandwidth I believe that within the 4.2 is updates to code for future content and episode stuff that is not active now.

Mivo
04-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Internet is not like 10 years ago. Today we have high speed internet everywhere.

No, we don't. I live in the middle of Germany, in the west, about 100km from the major city of Frankfurt. Here, I can only get DSL Lite, which is 384kbs, or 45 kb/sec. This is in one of the technologically most advanced countries, and yet there are many areas that are not properly covered with highspeed access. The situation is the same in the US (where cable does help a lot, which isn't the case in Europe due to the type of phone cables used) and in many areas of the world.

Scandinavia is the exception, but in many other places you are often out of luck if you don't live in a large city and want fast internet.

That aside, there is no reason to waste bandwidth. It is not free, for no one, even if people don't realize that. If by designing the patcher better they could have cut down the patch size to 1 GB, there is simply no economical reason to not do it.

Mivo
04-16-2013, 11:23 AM

No, we don't. I live in the middle of Germany, in the west, about 100km from the major city of Frankfurt. Here, I can only get DSL Lite, which is 384kbs, or 45 kb/sec. This is in one of the technologically most advanced countries, and yet there are many areas that are not properly covered with highspeed access. The situation is the same in the US (where cable does help a lot, which isn't the case in Europe due to the type of phone cables used) and in many areas of the world.

Scandinavia is the exception, but in many other places you are often out of luck if you don't live in a large city and want fast internet.

That aside, there is no reason to waste bandwidth. It is not free, for no one, even if people don't realize that. If by designing the patcher better they could have cut down the patch size to 1 GB, there is simply no economical reason to not do it.

Technodude
04-16-2013, 11:26 AM
People think if they are downloading 4Gb patch in 30 minutes rest of the world is doing the same. Would be shocking for you guys to know that even in most advanced countries not every nook and corner is covered by high speed internet.

Jevonski
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
I have to agree with Mivo not all of us have High speed internet I live 10km from town and I can't even get 98kb/s through the phone line I have a 3g connection instead which is capped at 20gb a week (Irish broadband infrastructure at it's finest /sarcasm) so 1.5mb/s to 2mb/s is the best I can hope for but I don't see the point in complaining about patch size if you buy an mmo and you have poor internet you have to put up with these things.

Nextic
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
People think if they are downloading 4Gb patch in 30 minutes rest of the world is doing the same. Would be shocking for you guys to know that even in most advanced countries not every nook and corner is covered by high speed internet.

Not my problem.

EdgeTW
04-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Thank god you weren't around during the Salem witch trials... All the kids would be dead and probably half the town.

I think you're a contender for the ridiculous reaction of the year award.

Technodude
04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Not my problem.

No one said it is your problem.

Helvidnir
04-16-2013, 11:32 AM
No, we don't. I live in the middle of Germany, in the west, about 100km from the major city of Frankfurt. Here, I can only get DSL Lite, which is 384kbs, or 45 kb/sec. This is in one of the technologically most advanced countries, and yet there are many areas that are not properly covered with highspeed access. [...]

I don't think that my homeland is one of the technologically most advanced counties, but fine.
Of course, DSL Lite hurts alot, but thats not the developers fault. It is your providers fault - which does not provide a faster connection due to various reasons related to money and money only ;)

Greyblade Dunar
04-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Whining sacks of blistering cud.
It's an MMO. I'm more appalled by how silent our community is in the console verse. There are conversational and co-operative groups but sadly, I have yet to actually engage in more than a small handful of moments where I heard voice chat or response from my own in group offers. Let alone the literally silent chat in text channels including the guild I am more than happy to leave once I can log on.

There are issues with the game that go deeper than what Trion offers, the community itself is what truly will define this game. At least for me.

That said, again, it's an MMO. Patches happen, ALOT. Microsoft (not accounting for PS3) is a huge pain in the ***** from what I've read and heard. Creating situations which only serve to complicate things for Trion. Hell, the very reason we're not all one total cross platform servers (Which for me was a HUUUUGE hope) is because the bigshots in the console world don't feel like shaking hands, the ******s...

So yea, I'm pissy I am here on the forums wasting time rather than killing peeps in pvp or tending to my pursuits. But it's the nature of the beast, this isn't like a Trion only situation where a patch goes wrong.

They are embarassased I'm sure.

They will do something about it beyond merely fixing it I hope, but don't expect, and do doubt.

It's a big patch. We don't know why. Life sucks.

Grow up and deal with it is good advice. But futile advice really, because no one cares, we're all just pissed we're here rather than shooting guns or driving around. And since we're pissed we're going to bicker.

That said I stand by my point that my hope for this game continues to thrive, hopefully, despite whatever concoction of justifications we all have to gripe... the fixes go to good use, the game gets continued development, and most importantly in the short term.. we get a chance to play on my only day off for huh... 46 days? ugh.

EdgeTW
04-16-2013, 11:37 AM
I feel for you, but that's not Trions fault. If they need to make a patch this big, they can't magically make it smaller because a few players have a bad internet.

Here's the problem with your statement. The only reason they "needed" to make the patch this big is because they didn't have the foresight to develop a file system that allows for more efficient patching, like most of the other MMOs in the industry do. No, they can't make it smaller with "magic", but they can make it smaller with a smarter design.

It's not a problem of having a bad internet. It's a problem of having a poor patch process. All faster internet allows you to do is ignore the effects of that poorly designed patching process. That, however, does not change the fact that the patching process is ridiculously bad.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Additional content? Are you reading the same patch notes with "FIXED FIXED FIXED from top to bottom?"

If any additional data was included, which I have not been able to confirm one way or another, they may not have published the info relating to it because they wouldn't want people to start demanding access to the content immediately. If you'd read through the thread, you'd also see that I interpreted the OP as implying that additional content was included along with the bug fixes.

EdgeTW
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM
4.2g is not that bad a size of patch for an mmo gamer especially on the pc..

So many comments like the above and they're just ridiculous. I am curious.. what do you consider "a bad size" for a patch? 6 GB? 8 GB? 10 GB? (you know, at the point where you've replaced the 10 GB installation of the game with 10 GB of patch files?). Would that be "a bad size" for a patch?

/facepalm

Murzin
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM

yes, i said a medium end gaming rig.

i just built someone a high end gaming rig for $2300, and that was without going stupid overboard with SSDs and dual GPUs.

i said that was quality parts, not the cheapest you could go and have it work.

it was to illustrate my point that the guy i quoted was an idiot.

Chivaro
04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
You're pathetic. This must be the most ridiculous reaction on this forum or any forum for that matter.

Cynical Jester
04-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Here's the problem with your statement. The only reason they "needed" to make the patch this big is because they didn't have the foresight to develop a file system that allows for more efficient patching, like most of the other MMOs in the industry do. No, they can't make it smaller with "magic", but they can make it smaller with a smarter design.

It's not a problem of having a bad internet. It's a problem of having a poor patch process. All faster internet allows you to do is ignore the effects of that poorly designed patching process. That, however, does not change the fact that the patching process is ridiculously bad.

I posted these on page 4 and 5... I think you missed it:

Pretty much.. can't make anyone happy no matter how hard you try. Please keep the fixes and updates coming no matter how big they are...

Maybe their were some very critical files that needed to be changed and they simply couldn't just "update" them.

Perhaps every file needed to be updated hence why we have to download everyone of them again...

Maybe a guy hit the wrong button or packed it wrong from being so damn tired from working on fixes for the game constantly around the clock to make sure all you whinos stay happy... Bet you've never made a mistake right?

We don't know why it is as big as it is but I bet they have a good reason even if its the last one... They are humans delivering us quality entertainment and all many of you can do is complain at every ****ing turn... JUST DON'T PLAY...

I'm just glad a majority of the players and often the more satisfied are the vocal minority and the whiners are the vocal majority. Always need something to ***** about.

Its one thing to make a suggestion or to report a bug, but new flame threads every second is getting ridiculous.

Just stop for one second and think how they feel.. Do any of you whiners work or deal with the public? No? Go try it!

They gave away over $500 of stuff just last night and all people could do was ***** about how they didn't talk about the patch... Not to mention all the perks the pre-order people got...

Just stop and say thank you, or maybe ask politely why it was so big in a live chat or something... But chill... If your not satisfied with how they are handling things or the game itself.. go away...

I'm sure they'd rather listen to you whine than lose a customer though... I would never make a good CEO of a game company.. I would ban all the stupid people and probably piss off the investors / publishers.

This is comparing chickens to pterodactyls now but I ran a Minecraft server for awhile when it was popping off and made decent money from VIP memberships and donations... I ultimately shut it down and refunded some peoples money because a majority.. especially the older ones... were spoiled little *****es and I got tired of dealing with them... It was a constant flood of new *******s every day, paying *******s, demanding *******s.

Cut people some slack.

In response to I have slow internet:

Go away.. I spent most of my younger life on 56k and never once *****ed about the size of a patch for any game or the frequency of them. I played WoW in vanilla, and if anyone else did then they know how the patches went down then... Get over it.. its 4 gigs.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 11:45 AM
yes, i said a medium end gaming rig.

i just built someone a high end gaming rig for $2300, and that was without going stupid overboard with SSDs and dual GPUs.

i said that was quality parts, not the cheapest you could go and have it work.

it was to illustrate my point that the guy i quoted was an idiot.

of course, but I don't think a case, blu-ray, and a NIC make the different between a low-range and a mid-range PC :P

Cynical Jester
04-16-2013, 11:46 AM
You're pathetic. This must be the most ridiculous reaction on this forum or any forum for that matter.

Here.. need me to light your torch? Need a map to their office?

Smauzt
04-16-2013, 11:47 AM
I've got no problem downloading this patch! ;) Finished in about 3minutes, and it was downloading faster if I werent going Yarr on other files as well, he he he :o

Regards, Smauzt

RoG Goat
04-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Wait... I have to clear ANOTHER FOUR GIGS on my xbox?!

For a PATCH?!

.........wtf am I gunna do when a DLC comes out?

EdgeTW
04-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Not my problem.

No, but you're standing in the way of other people's problems for no legitimate reason.

Nobody is saying "give us less content in our patches". People are saying "give us the same content, but with smaller patch sizes, which is totally possible if you develop a more efficient patching system". Why would anyone object to that? Who here is so absurd that they simply can not tolerate the idea of receiving the same amount of content in a smaller download size? This patch should not be 4 GB. If they did their jobs right it wouldn't even be 1 GB!

The people in this thread who apparently hate the concept of smart designs or efficiency... what the heck? What planet are you all from? I imagine you folks going car shopping and being like "No, I don't want the BMW that gets 35 MPG.. I want the exact same car except it must only get 5 MPG, tops. Because I just 'aint happy unless I'm supporting a stupid setup!".

OMG.

Hope499
04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Wait wait, I havent played yet today so do people mean the total patch size to date is 4gig? or JUST the one for today is 4g?

WhiteCell
04-16-2013, 11:54 AM

It must be insufferable to live where a 4 gigabyte download causes you such pain and anguish.

1st world problems.

Technodude
04-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Wait wait, I havent played yet today so do people mean the total patch size to date is 4gig? or JUST the one for today is 4g?

They have very bad system to patch files. For first time in playing MMOS in years i have seen a patch 4 gig in size which is just for fixing bugs.

Usually content updates are this big. SWTOR released a whole new planet last week with loads of content and total size was 2 gigs.

EdgeTW
04-16-2013, 11:55 AM

Today's patch is 4 GB. And the game directory did not increase in size, which means it's downloading 4 GB of data and then replacing 4 GB of the data you already have installed with practically the same data, except modified with the patch contents.

It's like having this conversation:

Me: "I fixed the texture seam on your Infiltrator Armor.. I'm sending it to you along with all the other armor art in the game.. so it's going to be a 400 MB download"

You: "Wait, what? Did the other armor art change?"

Me: "No, just the Infiltrator Armor. By itself it's just 5 MB."

You: "Why are you sending me the entire zip file then? Just send me the updated Infiltrator Armor art."

Me: "I don't know how to do that. Take the whole 400 MB zip file containing all the armor art, please."

You: "..."

It's not adding anything that remotely justifies a 4 GB download. If the directory size grew by 4 GB that would be different.. that would be new, additional content. That's not what we got.

Naturi
04-16-2013, 11:57 AM

the patch TODAY is 4 GB in size.. which is absurdly large for no new content to be added

Murzin
04-16-2013, 12:00 PM
$1250 is actually really expensive compared to the price of a console. A console that you don't have to worry about upgrading for half a dozen years.

yes, spoken like a person who doesnt know what their console is actually doing.

blu-ray is a resolution of 1920x1080 @ 29.5 FPS. the PS3 has a blu-ray player. when drawing a picture at 1920x1080 resolution, it can only achieve that at 10 FPS. that means to draw at 29.5 FPS, it has to draw at 1/3 the native blu-ray resolution. the newly announced PS4 will be able to draw a 1920x1080 picture blu-ray at 29.5 FPS, but that is without any pre-proccessing or post-proccessing that games employ. Sony has already admitted that for games, they will be drawing at 1/2 that resolution and achieving 30 FPS. yes, it is a step up from the PS3, but that is horrible for gaming.

you know LTE is not 4G right?

3G = 100 mbit/s
4G LTE = 300 mbit/s
4G = 1 gbit/s

verizon and such are bragging about an inferior service. and you fell for it.

You can build a gaming rig for 500. That guy that posted 1250 doesn't know what he's talking about.

yes, i do know what i am talking about. you people did not read my post, i was posting a medium end rig with high quality parts. not cheap parts.

my PSU that i run cost me $275 a few years ago. yes, it does appear that PSU makers have grown some intelligence and solving the problem that caused me to need that expensive of a PSU so you can get away with cheaper now, but you still need to buy almost a $200 PSU. if you dont understand why, then you are not actually paying attention to the specs of the PSU and your GPU.

well yes, they said there are LOTS of client stabilization changes, that means re-writing lots of code to fix the problems. it could very well have just been simpler to re-do the entire file rather than downloading lots of changes to lots of files.

say you have 500 game files, and make changes to random parts of 100 of them. that means its more effecient to download those 100 files than to download the parts and patches to those 100 files as there will be less problems.

now lets say you have 10,000 files, and make changes to 2,000 of them. its less "wasted" bandwidth downloading all the files than it is on the first case.

and if you think WoW and AC and EQ did not have these problems, you would be wrong. there have been multiple times where i take a week or 3 off from WoW and i end up having to download the entire game because the patcher screws up.

it happens. and lots of smaller files actually wastes a quite a bit of hard drive space.

look at file allocation sizes and "slack space". yes, NTFS solves a lot of the problems that FAT-32 had, but it still happens.

of course, but I don't think a case, blu-ray, and a NIC make the different between a low-range and a mid-range PC :P

they do. im suprised at the number of people that think an on-board NIC vs add-in card make. especially during sustained load, the add-in NIC ends up working much better due to them handling buffering much better than on-board NICs. such as sending a ton of smaller packets during a sustained gaming session, or during downloading a large file.

cjhaus123
04-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Soooo, by them actually listing to the concerns/comments/complaints of the community and actually trying to fix the game, they fail?, get off your high horse, come back down to earth.. and wait for the patch to finish just like the rest of us. Trion is a damn good company, Miles better than most, so give them a chance to fix this broken turd ok :)

Chivaro
04-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Here.. need me to light your torch? Need a map to their office?
I've got better things to do than feed pathetic trolls like yourself. Good day.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Today's patch is 4 GB. And the game directory did not increase in size, which means it's downloading 4 GB of data and then replacing 4 GB of the data you already have installed with practically the same data, except modified with the patch contents.

Me: "I fixed the texture seam on your Infiltrator Armor.. I'm sending it to you along with all the other armor art in the game.. so it's going to be a 400 MB download"

You: "Why are you sending me the entire zip file then? Just send me the updated Infiltrator Armor art."

Me: "I don't know how to do that. Take the whole 200 MB zip file containing all the armor art, please."

It's not adding anything that remotely justifies a 4 GB download. If the directory size grew by 4 GB that would be different.. that would be new, additional content. That's not what we got.

the only reasonable explanation, since it appears the volumes do not contain anything new, would be if the current files were repackaged into a more efficient format, but overall, yes, if a file can be modified through a search/replace routine like many other patchers do, it would certainly be more efficient, or, use a hundred small files instead of a WAD.

Hope499
04-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Me: "I don't know how to do that. Take the whole 200 MB zip file containing all the armor art, please."

Awesome post with amazing clarity, plus the added feauture of making me lol. Thanks

Oceanhawk
04-16-2013, 12:07 PM
God the fanboys with this game are out of control. I swear if Trion handed you a plate of excrement and told you to eat it you would do so with a smile on your face.

Trion has been promising to fix stuff since day 1 and here we are several weeks later and the mythical patch that is supposed to fix everything hits and it fixes nothing. So yeah people are pissed off. For those people that have download limits, I can understand your pain. In this day and age a patch should be controlled to force a download of only changed files (ie incremental backups anyone?) a concept that isn't new for most reputable companies.

So you knotheads that are ok with nothing improving just crack me up. The rest of us like the concept of the game and would like the developers to deliver on their promises.

Smoky
04-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Why the **** are you complaining?!?!?!? Wow people these days are insane, never are satisfied.Some people (like me) may have very low data caps. Mine is 30 gigs a month. If this is true then I guess I'm going to have to find another game to play, because nothing is worth $10/gig overage.

EdgeTW
the only reasonable explanation, since it appears the volumes do not contain anything new, would be if the current files were repackaged into a more efficient format, but overall, yes, if a file can be modified through a search/replace routine like many other patchers do, it would certainly be more efficient, or, use a hundred small files instead of a WAD.

The original Guild Wars literally has 3 files in its directory: an executable, a temp file, and a 4 GB data file. Whenever they patch their game, they do not make you download 4 GB of data again. You do not have to use hundreds of smaller files to avoid this problem.

Wrenito
yes, i do know what i am talking about. you people did not read my post, i was posting a medium end rig with high quality parts. not cheap parts.

my PSU that i run cost me $275 a few years ago. yes, it does appear that PSU makers have grown some intelligence and solving the problem that caused me to need that expensive of a PSU so you can get away with cheaper now, but you still need to buy almost a $200 PSU. if you dont understand why, then you are not actually paying attention to the specs of the PSU and your GPU.You can build a gaming rig with high quality parts for 500. You're not as all-knowing as you think you are.

deltadeath93
04-16-2013, 12:15 PM
ok i read the patch updates but didnt see anything on fixing the auto revert to level 1 for vehicles n such. did anyone else see if it was fixed so i can have my car back instead of my quad?

Skeptic
04-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Im just shocked that my patcher at 2Mbs says it is going to be over 4 hours to patch makes me wish I had started it 4 hours ago.

Fenruswolf
04-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Garhisdaklejdfs h fjiejf sjdjkfsk AND I MEAN IT!

ironhands
04-16-2013, 12:17 PM
The original Guild Wars literally has 3 files in its directory: an executable, a temp file, and a 4 GB data file. Whenever they patch their game, they do not make you download 4 GB of data again. You do not have to use hundreds of smaller files to avoid this problem.

did you read what i said before OR? the entire 3rd line says that.

Monkerlotus
04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Im just shocked that my patcher at 2Mbs says it is going to be over 4 hours to patch makes me wish I had started it 4 hours ago.

yeah I'm getting 5mbs and it's still an hour away (been at it for 43minutes so far) this is annoying to say the least, but if it fixes stuff and makes the game better it'll (hopefully) be worth it.. :rolleyes:

ironhands
04-16-2013, 12:19 PM
they do. im suprised at the number of people that think an on-board NIC vs add-in card make. especially during sustained load, the add-in NIC ends up working much better due to them handling buffering much better than on-board NICs. such as sending a ton of smaller packets during a sustained gaming session, or during downloading a large file.

Yes, they do, but on a budget it's probably more efficient to go with a GPU upgrade than the extra cost of a nic.

ELCID
04-16-2013, 12:22 PM
People have every right to be angry about this considering the huge problems many of us had with the patcher on launch day. 4 gigs is NOT a friggin' patch it's an expansion. I can't believe Trion would purposely do something like this.

EdgeTW
04-16-2013, 12:26 PM
did you read what i said before OR? the entire 3rd line says that.

I did but I'm gunning for everything now with the way the ridiculousness in this thread has me seeing red. :p pew pew lazer fire!

ironhands
04-16-2013, 12:27 PM
I did but I'm gunning for everything now with the way the ridiculousness in this thread has me seeing red. :p pew pew lazer fire!

Yeah, same here :P

Eisberg
04-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Took me about 10 minutes to download the patch, now I am just waiting for the servers to start =P

Cruize
04-16-2013, 12:38 PM
This huge patching thing is a huge pile of crap atm.

Not everyone has that good internet
The launcher does not have a RESUME function leaving those people incapable of gettin the update without risking resets.

I love the hame so much but this is actually the first time I had to "re-download" a game. And i will admit that I am one of those people unfortunate enough to be stuck in a country wherein the internet is crappier than a lame joke.

Please Trion , ADD A RESUME function so people like me can update the game without "capping" us

StickyChief
04-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Must be rough being poor.

Everyone, this brilliant individual deserves a round of applause. His reply was so deeply intellectual and intriguing that his wisdom has been proven to have no boundaries. Bow down to his omniscience, my faith in humanity has been restored.

Sir Lemming
04-16-2013, 12:48 PM
There are multiple ways to handle patching, this is one of them.

Lotro used compressed mega files with the ability to patch individual stuff in them along with lots of small files, like a combined stuff. Due to all the versioning performance may drop over time and/or stability issues may arise. Community made a defragger for it, if you don't want to re-download all the 15+Gbyte stuff (16-18 maybe).

Guild Wars 2 uses a big-big data file and the patcher tampers with the files in it. (Their launcher was replaced shortly after launch.)
Planetside 2 uses lots of files (main assets are 'zipped' and split into several pack files). (Launcher may fail, and you have to re-verify/fix stuff with the built in tool.
Cryptic games patcher is mostly ok.
Several of these games use pando media booster, torrent and other solutions for better distribution. (Or simple file servers, but they proved to be inadequate when demand is high.)

Hopefully, this will also get some love in the future.

As I finished the last sentence, the patcher finished, but half of the launcher went invisible. :)

(21st century and still on slow connections with limits? Ok, I know that this is the sad reality, but always amuses me. My net is only a 15mbps dsl, nothing special, but definitely better than the 384kbs I had in... 2003? Whats the issue with improving services? Distance? Corporate lazyness? No need for it? Wired connections are simply not possible?)

SlashZaku
04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Wait... I have to clear ANOTHER FOUR GIGS on my xbox?!

For a PATCH?!

.........wtf am I gunna do when a DLC comes out?Not going to read through all 17 pages but PS3 user here and when I played today, post-patch notice (30 minutes, 10 minutes, etc.), didn't notice any need to download anything when I came back when I was expecting to actually do so =\ I noticed some things were changed (like areas showing on the map as you scrolled over them) but noticed other stuff that was supposed to be fixed/changed was the same (Pursuits still only show the headgear, headgear doesn't zoom in on head when previewing, haven't looked at other stuff much). Am I missing something?

EDIT: Also noticed '0' damage was still showing up (happened to a bud in co-op).

Chivaro
04-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Not going to read through all 17 pages but PS3 user here and when I played today, post-patch notice (30 minutes, 10 minutes, etc.), didn't notice any need to download anything when I came back when I was expecting to actually do so =\ I noticed some things were changed (like areas showing on the map as you scrolled over them) but noticed other stuff that was supposed to be fixed/changed was the same (Pursuits still only show the headgear, headgear doesn't zoom in on head when previewing, haven't looked at other stuff much). Am I missing something?

EDIT: Also noticed '0' damage was still showing up (happened to a bud in co-op).
That's because the ps3 patch is coming out a bit later. Issues with Sony I guess.

EdgeTW
04-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Am I missing something?

PS3 servers weren't patched yet, only XBOX and PC. However, apparently there is a problem with the patch so XBOX and PC servers are down.

If they turn around and release another 4 GB fix to correct their 4 GB patch.. just ugh. And, really, why would we assume they can fix the patch issues without doing that when they couldn't do it the first time around?

SlashZaku
04-16-2013, 01:11 PM
So they pulled it last minute for PS3? I was in game and saw the notice that the patch was coming with a 30 minute warning and then 10 minute warning. Signed out, waited an hour, got back in and just...eh. No download. I came to the forum and saw a post in the Server section saying Patch Update: All Platforms so I figured PS3 got squeezed in as well but I don't know anymore. Maybe it was a broad message that wasn't supposed to go to the PS3 servers?

One of those times where I don't know what the hell is going on.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 01:12 PM
So they pulled it last minute for PS3?

No, it was intended to go out about a week later IIRC, check the original community posts.

SlashZaku
04-16-2013, 01:15 PM
No, it was intended to go out about a week later IIRC, check the original community posts.Like I said, I was in game this morning and saw the in game system say it was coming and the servers would be down. Even the News Feed when selecting your character talks about it. Were PS3 servers/users not supposed to get these messages?

I'll look for the post. And a week later huh...=\

EdgeTW
04-16-2013, 02:46 PM
So, 6 hours into this excessive download.. is this the only patch or did they release another on the PC?

Dagbiker
04-16-2013, 02:50 PM
PS3 servers weren't patched yet, only XBOX and PC. However, apparently there is a problem with the patch so XBOX and PC servers are down.

If they turn around and release another 4 GB fix to correct their 4 GB patch.. just ugh. And, really, why would we assume they can fix the patch issues without doing that when they couldn't do it the first time around?

Who cares if they cant, are you going to play the unpatched version, and glitch your way into negative zone? I mean what are you going to do with an unpatched version of an online only server based game?

EdgeTW
04-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Who cares if they cant, are you going to play the unpatched version, and glitch your way into negative zone? I mean what are you going to do with an unpatched version of an online only server based game?

I think the people who get stuck downloading 4 GB x 2 at slower internet speeds might care. Just a hunch, if you've been following this thread.

Lt_Defiance
04-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Scowl at console gamers for thinking they are higher then PC gamers O_o but what if you're both? Gasp. So should I scowl at myself in a 4 way mirror room angled so they all face eachother so that I can scowl at my scowler scowling at my scowl? O_o

Napalm Sunrise
04-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Scowl at console gamers for thinking they are higher then PC gamers O_o but what if you're both? Gasp. So should I scowl at myself in a 4 way mirror room angled so they all face eachother so that I can scowl at my scowler scowling at my scowl? O_o

so epic^^^

vizibledog
04-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Well if they are fixing things why complain?

EdgeTW
04-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Well if they are fixing things why complain?

Because it can be done in a smarter, more efficient way that doesn't tie up my internet for 8 hours. Why is this so hard to understand? :/

KodiakX
04-16-2013, 03:24 PM
At least it lets me DL at 30 Mpbs.

vizibledog
04-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Stop your unnecessary whining. They are working on things. If your not happy bugger off and play something else.

Anim
04-16-2013, 03:26 PM
At least it lets me DL at 30 Mpbs.

Meh, got a solid 75, patched in a few minutes and fired up the game ... to find no changes and removed content :P

Technodude
04-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Meh, got a solid 75, patched in a few minutes and fired up the game ... to find no changes and removed content :P

It is a mystery isn't it? what the hell is in 4 gb?

Downloaded new expansion for swtor last week, one whole new planet and loads of new content and total size was 2 gb. ;)

Dradiin
04-16-2013, 03:32 PM
There are multiple ways to handle patching, this is one of them.

Lotro used compressed mega files with the ability to patch individual stuff in them along with lots of small files, like a combined stuff. Due to all the versioning performance may drop over time and/or stability issues may arise. Community made a defragger for it, if you don't want to re-download all the 15+Gbyte stuff (16-18 maybe).

Guild Wars 2 uses a big-big data file and the patcher tampers with the files in it. (Their launcher was replaced shortly after launch.)
Planetside 2 uses lots of files (main assets are 'zipped' and split into several pack files). (Launcher may fail, and you have to re-verify/fix stuff with the built in tool.
Cryptic games patcher is mostly ok.
Several of these games use pando media booster, torrent and other solutions for better distribution. (Or simple file servers, but
they proved to be inadequate when demand is high.)

Hopefully, this will also get some love in the future.

As I finished the last sentence, the patcher finished, but half of the launcher went invisible.

(21st century and still on slow connections with limits? Ok, I know that this is the sad reality, but always amuses me. My net is only a 15mbps dsl, nothing special, but definitely better than the 384kbs I had in... 2003? Whats the issue with improving services? Distance? Corporate lazyness? No need for it? Wired connections are simply not possible?)

I live in Barrow Alaska, one of the richest regions in the world, 384kbs is awesome internet for this area. Infrastructure and state/federal funding is what allows telecoms to implement high speed upgrades.

Sure where I live the entire community is flush with, massive oil profits. But that does not make the telecoms want to pay the millions it takes to wire the hundreds of extreme rural areas. So while I make a very nice living here n Barrow, I have to accept myinternet is crap and will stay crap for a long time.

Dagbiker
04-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Perhaps this whole patch thing is a commentary about what Defiance means. Where Humans, and less Human looking Aliens fight ugly Aliens that are ugly and no one can empathize with because they are ugly.

Perhaps this is the reason they are doing this to us, perhaps this is a commentary about working together for a common goal, to get a good game. Like the end of Independence day when the Americans single handedly uploaded a Virus using a macs WiFi, made in dos, and the rest of the world did stuff too.

We, PC gamers, and you people, Console gamers. Needed a common enemy to hate, needed a reason to unite, and needed a reason to be friends. And Trion has given us this reason.