PDA

View Full Version : Need more info to start coming out for the Defiance game soon !

vampero
11-18-2012, 04:07 AM
We are hearing mostly about the TV show and not the game lately. That is starting to worry me because April will be here in a blink of a eye. I'm hoping to get some great inside scoops to put on my webpage to blow Defiance wannabe gamers out of their minds soon !!! :cool:

Escyos
11-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Considering we had months of nothing but game, now its time for more about the show.

vampero
11-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Considering we had months of nothing but game, now its time for more about the show.

I disagree it was just the same news over and over with a different face...:p

Jenbuu
11-18-2012, 06:00 PM
im sure there will be stuff to come, but as escyos said there wasn't alot of info anyway but what information there was, was all about the game,
now the the show has adverts and the youtube mini chapters it seems like the show has more attention. But thats because its whats being shown more

remember every tv show advert alot advertises the game

Vega
11-18-2012, 10:33 PM
          

Kalbuir
11-19-2012, 01:18 AM
The focus being on the TV show this early isn't a bad sign in my opinion. Most TV shows get their hype really late, its a good sign that the Season 1 wrap was so heavily focused / written about. Like the rest of you though i am itching for some more Defiance game information.

However we did get the shadow war reveal a short while ago which i think was a big reveal, we might not have a lot in depth knowledge of it yet but it is a major feature reveal.

Darktide
11-19-2012, 05:24 AM
I for one want the show more than the game. Don't get me wrong I want the game too but I love my scifi shows.

vampero
11-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes we need more info now. I'm already having withdrawals. I think I've exhausted Jenbuu's D Central, Escyos's wiki and watched all of Kalbuir's Gamescon footage. I need more and the new little show preview that just released isn't enough.

D Central pod cast said there were other upcoming cons. Those will be a good source of info. Which cons are they again and when are they? I'm thinking I may have to plan a vacation around one.

I for one want the show more than the game. Don't get me wrong I want the game too but I love my scifi shows.

I agree with you both ! I just want some real in-depth things about the game. They are being more tight lipped about Defiance than they did before the release of Rift.

whoiscraig
11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Patience... patience...

Vega
11-19-2012, 10:40 PM
          

MechPilot
11-20-2012, 01:09 AM
I personally am losing all interest in the game.

I have never seen such a lackluster way on advertising a game. I just got tweeted a damn photo of a fat alien suit, a lady with odd contact lenses at a table over "thanks giving". But not hide nor hair about the game. Has their marketing gone mad? Is it something in the water?

I gotta tell ya for a multimillion dollar company (Trion) to be teamed with a Entertainment Network (SyFy). I'm a bit disappointed how halfassed things have become. Which absolutely in stark contrast to This guy Chris Roberts (http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/) With extremely limited resources for what hes trying to achieve, has reached 6 million dollars through crowd funding alone, breaking current records. What more disturbing is that I know more about his game that has just been revealed hardly a month ago. Yet the community is still in the damn dark about defiance, as it was 2 years ago when it was first announced...You been shoving that what looks to be very mediocre show down our throats for what seems like an eternity. But we have to sit here and hope you so much as publish sketches of Concept art of the game?

If one man can generate that sort of awareness for his product via posting a handful of videos and being at ONE convention. Then why can't Defiance with so much money behind it, even compare?

Food for thought trion.

vampero
11-20-2012, 04:07 AM
I personally am losing all interest in the game.

I have never seen such a lackluster way on advertising a game. I just got tweeted a damn photo of a fat alien suit, a lady with odd contact lenses at a table over "thanks giving". But not hide nor hair about the game. Has their marketing gone mad? Is it something in the water?

I gotta tell ya for a multimillion dollar company (Trion) to be teamed with a Entertainment Network (SyFy). I'm a bit disappointed how halfassed things have become. Which absolutely in stark contrast to This guy Chris Roberts (http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/) With extremely limited resources for what hes trying to achieve, has reached 6 million dollars through crowd funding alone, breaking current records. What more disturbing is that I know more about his game that has just been revealed hardly a month ago. Yet the community is still in the damn dark about defiance, as it was 2 years ago when it was first announced...You been shoving that what looks to be very mediocre show down our throats for what seems like an eternity. But we have to sit here and hope you so much as publish sketches of Concept art of the game?

If one man can generate that sort of awareness for his product via posting a handful of videos and being at ONE convention. Then why can't Defiance with so much money behind it, even compare?

Food for thought trion.

I can see you have BALLS and say what you feel ! Great post I thought I was the only that thought that way around here. Stop sugar coating the game and PUMP real new info out !

vampero
11-20-2012, 04:09 AM
What is this patience you talk about? This is the 21 century the here and now century. Infomation runs at the speed of light. The no time for patience

I could have not said it any better !

TriggHappy
11-20-2012, 11:26 AM
You guys are raising incredibly valid points. The timings for what is going with Defiance, starting from first announce, to progress of the show versus progress of the game definitely feel a bit scattershot. Without getting to bogged down in details, development and release of a TV show is radically different from development and release of a game.

For example, shooting for the first season has already wrapped, whereas the game is still in crunch mode. (https://twitter.com/DefianceGame/status/270713702267908096/photo/1)

Should there already be a lot of marketing going on? That's up for debate. Considering this is the holiday period, and feels like AC3, and BLOPS2 are ubiquitous and constantly on, I'd say our strategy is to focus on the post holiday --> spring timeframe.

That being said, we are definitely ramping up our plans for Defiance the game.

Right now, I can tell you the game is in a very playable state internally, the shots you see in the trailers is all from the game, and we're working incredibly long hours to get this in your hands come April.

If you have any more questions, let me know and I'll try my best to answer!

JellyBean
11-20-2012, 12:35 PM
You guys are raising incredibly valid points. The timings for what is going with Defiance, starting from first announce, to progress of the show versus progress of the game definitely feel a bit scattershot. Without getting to bogged down in details, development and release of a TV show is radically different from development and release of a game.

For example, shooting for the first season has already wrapped, whereas the game is still in crunch mode. (https://twitter.com/DefianceGame/status/270713702267908096/photo/1)

Should there already be a lot of marketing going on? That's up for debate. Considering this is the holiday period, and feels like AC3, and BLOPS2 are ubiquitous and constantly on, I'd say our strategy is to focus on the post holiday --> spring timeframe.

Right now, I can tell you the game is in a very playable state internally, the shots you see in the trailers is all from the game, and we're working incredibly long hours to get this in your hands come April.

Not to say that i wouldn't like more info on the game, all the focus right now are on the big releases for the holiday season. Any money spent now wouldn't be as effective as after the holidays.

TriggHappy
11-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Not to say that i wouldn't like more info on the game, all the focus right now are on the big releases for the holiday season. Any money spent now wouldn't be as effective as after the holidays.

Guess you're stuck with me for the time being. :)

JellyBean
11-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Remember after the holidays its still Football season. (sorry to anyone from the chicago area thinking about the blowout yesterday) and that's a huge marketing facet right there. Not sure if its even a consideration for the right market group but there are ample opportunities to capitalize on in terms of ads in '13

Augustus
11-20-2012, 04:47 PM

Ok, let's start with one of the most basic questions...
Please give us and idea of how we'll develop our characters skills.
Is it a strictly class based game?
Or a more open skill tree system?
Or something in-between?

vampero
11-20-2012, 05:45 PM

Glad that you replied to this post. First day of spring I will start bugging the hell out of you...;)

Jenbuu
11-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Or something in-between?

It already been noted that there isnt a "class" system as sorts, you start with an ability like sprint, hologram, cloak and then skill into upgrades for that ability. during the live stream you could see a panel type thing that looked to be the skill section

Kalbuir
11-21-2012, 01:26 AM
Or something in-between?

These are all questions that are already known, not the specifics but the general design direction seems to be very clear http://defiance-central.com/category/gamescom/ read the GamesCom reports, listen to our podcasts for a quick summary.

Maybe I should do another write up from what we know about the way characters will progress from GamesCom as it seems to be lost on some of our newer community members.

Will plan to do a write up this weekend! Will be nothing new to read for the guys and girls that have been around for a while though.

vampero
11-21-2012, 04:56 AM
Or something in-between?

I will start replying to these questions when I get the answers from the horses mouth...I'm done listening to people assuming things about the game other than what we all know so far.

Jenbuu
11-21-2012, 06:14 AM
I will start replying to these questions when I get the answers from the horses mouth...I'm done listening to people assuming things about the game other than what we all know so far.

so you mean like, the outline that they said int eh developers diary?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kuBQea7i9BE#t=157s

and there we saw cloak, blur and hologram.

There is information out there, might not be the largest amount of information. but some of the questions ive seen being asked recently have been answered in these dairies, interview, and even the podcast that me, kal and matt do.

Vega
11-21-2012, 06:28 AM
          

vampero
11-21-2012, 06:44 AM
so you mean like, the outline that they said int eh developers diary?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kuBQea7i9BE#t=157s

and there we saw cloak, blur and hologram.

There is information out there, might not be the largest amount of information. but some of the questions ive seen being asked recently have been answered in these dairies, interview, and even the podcast that me, kal and matt do.

You are correct ! Why keep repeating the same thing over and over ? You only can do it in a different light so many times. I will have a live G+ hangout once I get more info to talk about to my followers. I'm trying very hard to get them hyped about Defiance on G+ but there is no one biting atm and I have over 1000 gamer followers...:confused:

Jenbuu
11-21-2012, 07:39 AM
You are correct ! Why keep repeating the same thing over and over ? You only can do it in a different light so many times. I will have a live G+ hangout once I get more info to talk about to my followers. I'm trying very hard to get them hyped about Defiance on G+ but there is no one biting atm and I have over 1000 gamer followers...:confused:

i wasn't repeating i was answering a question, But i was backing it up with a source. You said your not gonna answer a question unless you hear it form the horses mouth. That was just proof that there was information.

Ive probably seen every bit of information that there is about the game at least twice, would i love to see more? of course. Would i like to know it faster? definitly. but what i dont like seeing is people demanding stuff and getting mouthy about it.

Yes we want the game, yes we want information, but getting all rattled because of the lack of information wont for get us the information any faster then they can develop the game or sort the news out for it.

I know what its like to want the information and to make the games, and i know how frustrating it can be when things are slow or buggy. I know you've heard it all before with saying "be patience" but there is still time, there are still events and still lots of stuff to be done.

vampero
11-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Ive probably seen every bit of information that there is about the game at least twice, would i love to see more? of course. Would i like to know it faster? definitly. but what i dont like seeing is people demanding stuff and getting mouthy about it.

Who is getting mouthy about it ? Some people look at different than other people do, some don't care if they sit on their hands and keep waiting for new spicy info and I fine with that (Fanboy types). I'm the type that wants to get new info weekly to push Defiance to a bigger crowd. I want to do a live hangout with more than 4 or 5 topics to talk about for 1 hour. If you think i'm getting mouthy I'm not . I just look at it different than you do I guess. In the end we all want a great game to play.

PS: It's only 5 months to release !

Augustus
11-21-2012, 01:41 PM
These are all questions that are already known, not the specifics but the general design direction seems to be very clear http://defiance-central.com/category/gamescom/ read the GamesCom reports, listen to our podcasts for a quick summary.

Maybe I should do another write up from what we know about the way characters will progress from GamesCom as it seems to be lost on some of our newer community members.

Will plan to do a write up this weekend! Will be nothing new to read for the guys and girls that have been around for a while though.

Ok, this brings up another point.
Although I only started posting in the past couple days, I've been lurking for over a month. In that month I've watched most, but not all, the videos and read most of the wiki. Admittedly, I have not listened to podcasts (not my thing, I either read or watch) and haven't waded through the old news bits at Central.
In all that I have made it through so far, I only caught 1 vague reference to classes (In a recording of the 24hr charity live stream they did).

With less then 5 months to go to launch I'd expect basic information about the game to be up on the main site, such as in a FAQ, or on the wiki.
"Is this a class or skill tree based game" is about as basic as it gets, and I've only caught one reference to it in the fairly large amount of stuff I've been through so far. IMO, that's not good.
This close to launch I'd expect to know more in the first hour of looking at the main website then I know now after a month of checking the forums daily and watching many of the videos.
To be frank, it makes me nervous. I'll be around to check out the game, but I can't say that I'm putting much of faith in it doing well.

vampero
11-21-2012, 04:05 PM
With less then 5 months to go to launch I'd expect basic information about the game to be up on the main site, such as in a FAQ, or on the wiki.
"Is this a class or skill tree based game" is about as basic as it gets, and I've only caught one reference to it in the fairly large amount of stuff I've been through so far. IMO, that's not good.
This close to launch I'd expect to know more in the first hour of looking at the main website then I know now after a month of checking the forums daily and watching many of the videos.
To be frank, it makes me nervous. I'll be around to check out the game, but I can't say that I'm putting much of faith in it doing well.

You bring up great points !

Carnak
11-21-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm assuming that TRION have adopted a deliberately different PR strategy for the game. It's definitely not following the usual pattern for MMOs which try to release a steady trickle of information throughout development.

But... Rift was a solid game in excellent condition at launch so they've established their game development creds and I'm confident Defiance (the game) will be good.

With April fast approaching I'm sure we'll see the floodgates open soon.

Shadinaxx
11-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Maybe what we should is get a list of "essentials" that we'd like Trigghappy to address and see how that goes. Let him do teh community guy thing, lol

Something like:

Can we get a character creation widget on the website to play with?
Can we see a list of classes and their skill breakdowns?
When can expect a fansite kit?

simple stuff, even if it's finalized, we'd love to see the character creation things (not a youtube vid of someone playing dress up with the character creater like it's a barbie) and class/skills

vampero
11-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Maybe what we should is get a list of "essentials" that we'd like Trigghappy to address and see how that goes. Let him do teh community guy thing, lol

Something like:

Can we get a character creation widget on the website to play with?
Can we see a list of classes and their skill breakdowns?
When can expect a fansite kit?

simple stuff, even if it's finalized, we'd love to see the character creation things (not a youtube vid of someone playing dress up with the character creater like it's a barbie) and class/skills

Sounds good to me . That sounds very reasonable to ask for.

Jenbuu
12-01-2012, 03:50 AM
we going the Q&A session in london
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?418-Defiance-Central-hitting-up-Q-amp-A-session-in-london

vampero
12-01-2012, 06:21 AM
we going the Q&A session in london
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?418-Defiance-Central-hitting-up-Q-amp-A-session-in-london

Cool can't wait to hear all about it when you get back !

MechPilot
12-01-2012, 11:10 AM

What I don't think people understand is, By April it will be too late. The proving grounds are closed. anytime you release a product without any prior info,test. It will end up a disaster 100% of the time. Trust me if we have as much info in April about the game as we do now. You can call it a wrap. So what does this mean? Since the game wont have anything prior to its release it mean, there will be ingame feature that will breakable. There will be areas in the terrain where players/mobs can fall through. There will be blatantly exploitable areas/drop/quest. Which of course leads to a decimated in-game economy, Giving Gold farmers one hell of a headstart. All of the because they have little to noone getting hands-on experience with the game. They aren't is is reporting on info or features of the game beyond the same rhetoric they been repeating since day one.

All of this pales in comparison to the septic-floodgates that opened up Over the show. Pure media overexposure. We know everything but the damn alien's shoe size. Yet ask about the game and you'll be met with nothing but shrugs.

vampero
12-01-2012, 08:00 PM
What I don't think people understand is, By April it will be too late. The proving grounds are closed. anytime you release a product without any prior info,test. It will end up a disaster 100% of the time. Trust me if we have as much info in April about the game as we do now. You can call it a wrap. So what does this mean? Since the game wont have anything prior to its release it mean, there will be ingame feature that will breakable. There will be areas in the terrain where players/mobs can fall through. There will be blatantly exploitable areas/drop/quest. Which of course leads to a decimated in-game economy, Giving Gold farmers one hell of a headstart. All of the because they have little to noone getting hands-on experience with the game. They aren't is is reporting on info or features of the game beyond the same rhetoric they been repeating since day one.

All of this pales in comparison to the septic-floodgates that opened up Over the show. Pure media overexposure. We know everything but the damn alien's shoe size. Yet ask about the game and you'll be met with nothing but shrugs.
I have to agree with you totally ! I'm very very surprised at Trion letting the show steal all the headlines ! No big gaming website is hyping the game at all

Carnak
12-02-2012, 11:44 PM
What I don't think people understand is, By April it will be too late.

I don't think other people not understanding is a problem here. Your not reading might be though. You said the above in response to:

I didn't say I thought TRION would or should wait until April to release more info - the point (made by no-one) you've decided to disagree with. I said that with so little time remaining until release that we'd likely be seeing more information soon. Not four months from now.

The proving grounds are closed. anytime you release a product without any prior info,test. It will end up a disaster 100% of the time.

If you want to start tossing around statistics try this one - 100% of MMOs developed by TRION (yeah I know there's only one) had famously polished and smooth launches.

At this stage we've no reason to think Defiance won't have a similarly good launch. Even if you want to ignore Rift as an example of how they do business, the inclusion of SyFy in this equation almost guarantees the MMO will be a polished product at launch.

Why?

If any other MMO launches in poor condition the only negative outcome for the developer is lower than ideal profits. But if TRION were to launch Defiance in less than good condition it's probable SyFy could sue their pants off.

In terms of Defiance's PR strategy, Guild Wars 2 has effectively owned the MMO space for much of the past twelve months. Why compete with that? More specifically in terms of sci-fi shooters, the recently launched Planetside 2 is currently up front and centre. There's also Firefall on the playing field.

While I think there is some value to cultivating a fan base over the prolonged period of an MMO's development by dribbling out tidbits of info, I don't think it's the only effective strategy.

How many times have you read about a newly announced MMO and wished "if I only could play it soon / right now"? That's the advantage that Defiance will have by doing it this way. All of the information they release about the game over the new few months will be shiny and new and worth getting excited about because a) release is imminent, b) it's actually going to release (not all make it) and c) their claims are about an essentially finished product, not pipe dreams which may or may not go up in smoke.

Relax. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about :)

Vega
12-04-2012, 09:24 PM
          

vampero
12-07-2012, 04:19 AM
Been checking gaming sites and tv show sites for Defiance recently and havent seen any info, not even on syfy site. Anything new here?

Jenbuu went to the Q&A and should be posting new info soon !

Shadz
12-07-2012, 02:25 PM

1. Lack of information isn't going to kill a games success chances. Bioware released new information for SWTOR every Friday for months before release and look how that turned out. Even with Star Wars huge fan following.

2. You're making assumptions of how unplayable the game will be based on the lack of information released?
I have no idea how that works. There are currently alpha testers testing the game. Beta testers may be starting shortly, depending on when they decide to take "applciations" for beta. It's the testing by the beta players and the willingness of the developers to address issues that determines how playable a game is on release. If you want to blame anyone for poor game play when a game goes live, point your finger at the beta testers. I would guess half of them just get into beta for early game play, decide they don't like it and stop testing.

Carnak
12-08-2012, 01:22 PM
1. Lack of information isn't going to kill a games success chances. Bioware released new information for SWTOR every Friday for months before release and look how that turned out. Even with Star Wars huge fan following.

They sold close to 2 million boxes at launch? That's pretty good for an MMO. Especially a sci-fi one. Has any sci-fi MMO come even close to that?

Given their emphasis on story I always expected massive attrition. Not because the game is bad but because it would have significant appeal as a single-player game as well as an MMO. I'm sure a lot of people who enjoyed the KOTOR games bought SWTOR, played through the stories, then tossed it aside.

I'm personally disappointed by it as an MMO. To me it's mostly WOW-clone with lasers. But I wouldn't hold it up as an example of failure.

Dolnor
12-19-2012, 04:46 AM
What Chris Roberts has done with Star Citizen is mainly due to having a small focused team... and not having to deal with the multitude of management.

The release of information about this show/game has to go through so many management levels and everyone has to sign-off on any release of content. They have to mutually walk-on-rice-paper and not overstep their authority. These guys HAVE to get along... one misstep and the whole thing could blow up.

I agree with the OP on the lack of hype for this game/show. Unless you happen to bump into this concept, it is easy to miss (yes, I can't afford to fly around the globe attending Cons...so I missed the banners and panels). I belong to 2 large gaming guilds (Old Timers Guild and The Older Gamers) and this game/show is only mentioned in passing. There isn't any hype over on either of their forums...each guild has over 5,000 members! -*(

By the way, Chris' project has now raised over $7million.

TQQdles™

Shadinaxx
12-19-2012, 07:40 AM
It's still early yet, and track records have shown that Trion uses beta as part of it's advertisments. They came outta "nowhere" with Rift, with an aggressive ad campaign that just started about 3 months before launch (january I believe, for a spring launch).

The thing that I would like to see, is information people have access to by attending the conventions with the game play. Things such as able to view the (as it is currently) Ego trees, paper doll setups, UI layouts, character customizations at the creater, and I personally would like a sneak peek at the guild/clan interface.

Mostly though, alot of the hype and coverage will be provided by the fans in forms of contests during beta, beta key giveaways, etc.