PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure people are going to hate me for this....

F4tKidKill3r
04-16-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm gonna give some props to Trion for attempting such a lofty IP concept and launch goals. Let's face it, the tech side of this game alone would make any IT team cry. I am going to say this, I don't understand the update issues(this is where Iget #&@* on) as Treyarc and Activision have been doing auto minor and downloaded major updates with McSft for years seamlessly. Just about every other week there's a version change in COD that takes all of 5min in game. Are these studios just not willing to help each other out? Is updating and seamless DLC some big trade secret?

Jestunhi
04-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Updating a game where servers are external (i.e. dedicated hosts or players themselves) is a whole different thing from patching a persistent world (especially when it's multiple persistent worlds running on different platforms in different server farms as Defiance is).

Voyavoda
04-16-2013, 10:32 AM
what's to hate about your statement... it's true.

Props to Trion for this well executed project are in order.

SweetMadness
04-16-2013, 10:33 AM
I hate you OP...
Because I hate everyone equally.

Margrave
04-16-2013, 10:35 AM
what's to hate about your statement... it's true.

^this

/10char

F4tKidKill3r
04-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Updating a game where servers are external (i.e. dedicated hosts or players themselves) is a whole different thing from patching a persistent world (especially when it's multiple persistent worlds running on different platforms in different server farms as Defiance is).

I understand it's a persistent environment and that's different in nature. COD puts a brake on game play and resets the lobby lists till every one is up to par. Why can't they just shut the dedicated externals 1 platform at a time, junk the resident buffer, load update in system, on board updater picks up version change at login. Same idea as COD. More of a process but it works for them.