PDA

View Full Version : Snipers useless?

RHA Defiled
04-16-2013, 11:05 AM
I haven't used a sniper since I started the game, are they any good with any certain ego?

Jestunhi
04-16-2013, 11:06 AM
They are good from the start of the game.

I'd advise bolt action & headshots for max damage. Semi-auto snipers suck in any game IMO.

:edit:

Actually, I suspect you mean with a certain EGO skill, not at a certain EGO level.

Personally I've used it with decoy and blur. Decoy gives easier targets (if leveled up & enhanced by perks) whereas stealth lets you get to a good position easier.

Thee Apothecary
04-16-2013, 11:06 AM
im waterfront there funny to use if you can pull off the shots you can bottleneck a doorway someone comes through round to the head

RHA Defiled
04-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I'll just put a Shotty to their face lol

Warlander
04-16-2013, 11:07 AM
they are great and a his sniper rifle is a must for Sanfran

Wraieth
04-16-2013, 11:08 AM
try the ranger semi's they are realy nice take some getting used to in order to get the double tap head shots. But when you get it down they are alot of fun espeacily with fire effect.

cleric1471
04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
the sniper rifle i have one hits quite a lot of elite enemy's, makes a nice thing to have if you can pick them off before they engage you.

PseudoCool
I happen to like snipers in Defiance. Their rather situational however, BUT, that being said.. when you get a purple and the proper mods.. added to the proper ego set up for crits.. you can EASILY put out 3K damage (if not more) on NPC's.. and literally watch their heads explode. It's pretty awesome if you ask me :) I've got mine up to level 7 now, waiting to see how it does when it's got all the extra crit modifiers from the class rank bonuses.

I will agree however.. the semi-auto's really stink. There's the Ranger SS-2 that does a double tap, but you REALLY have to have the skill and mods to make it worthwhile IMO. I'm a HUGE fan of the VoT Bolter.. larger magazine, faster bolt cycle time, and crazy accurate once you get used to it. Probably the best sniper rifle in the game.

Froggyman
I love my sniper. I always keep a sniper on me, and some form of medium distance weapon, like an Assault Rifle, or an LMG. Popping off people's heads is a blast, and a good sniper REALLY helps against the 99ers, or Dark Matter, as a well placed headshot will eat through their shields. With a few mod attachments and a solid gun, you can actually one shot a couple of them.

Napalm Sunrise
04-16-2013, 11:12 AM
PVE they can be good on most trash mobs with no shields, provided you have a quick trigger finger and fine aim. headshots are really the only thing that count and that's not to be elitest. It's because they really are the only way to generally confirm a one shot, one kill on an enemy because after that shot you've lost element of surprise and the whole camp/quarry/base/what have you descends upon you like the wrath of God.

Semi auto snipers are great for targets that have huge amounts of health because you can accurately drop a high volume of crits provided you have someone to draw aggro off you. As a lone sniper stick to bolt action, cloaking, a backup weapon and the usual tactics of kill, kill, relocate and repeat.

Xionsmith
04-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Semi-auto snipers suck in any game IMO.

Semi-auto sniper rifle is the highest DPS weapon in the game. Just have to have the skill to use it as so.

Ichidakiller
04-16-2013, 11:15 AM
I happen to like snipers in Defiance. Their rather situational however, BUT, that being said.. when you get a purple and the proper mods.. added to the proper ego set up for crits.. you can EASILY put out 3K damage (if not more) on NPC's.. and literally watch their heads explode. It's pretty awesome if you ask me :) I've got mine up to level 7 now, waiting to see how it does when it's got all the extra crit modifiers from the class rank bonuses.

I will agree however.. the semi-auto's really stink. There's the Ranger SS-2 that does a double tap, but you REALLY have to have the skill and mods to make it worthwhile IMO. I'm a HUGE fan of the VoT Bolter.. larger magazine, faster bolt cycle time, and crazy accurate once you get used to it. Probably the best sniper rifle in the game.

3k ....im doing that with my pistol. Headshot with a bullrush with 4.9 crit mult knock down and perk for 75% extra damage on knock downed enemies..... Wonderful combo. Knock them down two in the some cap will take out damn near anyone. It does 5-6k on forges center "eye"

shortname
I love my sniper. I always keep a sniper on me, and some form of medium distance weapon, like an Assault Rifle, or an LMG. Popping off people's heads is a blast, and a good sniper REALLY helps against the 99ers, or Dark Matter, as a well placed headshot will eat through their shields. With a few mod attachments and a solid gun, you can actually one shot a couple of them.

just got a purple ranger something or other semi auto sniper with electricity it does some decent damage and I was not a fan of snipers before I am warming up to this one

Error404
I think the issue is less that snipers suck but more that they can not be used efficiently as a main weapon due to severe ammo shortage.

I think a doubling of the current ammo reserve would not go a miss, thus allowing players to more actively use such against boss-types and arkfalls.

Jackobite
04-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Semi-auto sniper rifle is the highest DPS weapon in the game. Just have to have the skill to use it as so.

gotta side with that, My fav weapon atm is an assault rife fires semi auto with a 20 round mag it just suits me so well, not a sniper weapon I guess but quick firing does alot of damage.

Ichidakiller
04-16-2013, 11:17 AM
at arkfalls a good pistol sniper combo is nice when hellion or matriarch comes out switch to something heavier

Orbital
04-16-2013, 11:18 AM
They have their uses, they are very useful for picking off the other snipers. You can two shot the dark matter snipers that hide on buildings if you know where they spawn, making clearing areas much smoother. You have two weapons to switch between for a reason. I use a assault rifle as a medium to close range cleanup weapon.

Pulsar
04-16-2013, 11:18 AM
As long as you...

1) have the range, and
2) can reliably headshot

...bolt action snipers are the best non-ark pve weapons to lead off with. You can one-shot about 1 mob a second with little return fire for 10-15 seconds until they come after you. Clean up with after with your weapon of choice.

Voyavoda
04-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Im actually enjoying the snipers in Defiance.

I've got one character slot devoted to a sniper...one manual rifle and a semi. with a bio-blast nade incase i get charged by agros.

Jestunhi

Can you show your work please?

This doesn't agree with you: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuAXA8GRArcRdFZvOGxnTmtWZ0lNdkFaR0s5anNMc 1E#gid=0

I admit it doesn't take into account perks relating to critical damage, but they are not exclusive to the semi-auto sniper so if you can provide the max bonus to crit then I'm sure we could factor that into the calculations.

PseudoCool
3k ....im doing that with my pistol. Headshot with a bullrush with 4.9 crit mult knock down and perk for 75% extra damage on knock downed enemies..... Wonderful combo. Knock them down two in the some cap will take out damn near anyone. It does 5-6k on forges center "eye"

Cool.. I'll have to try that. I generally dump my Bullrush's, and I guess now that I'm working on my pistol skill, I'll have to give it a try. How's the falloff? Range?

Komakala
04-16-2013, 11:23 AM
I find sniper rifles very useful. It takes a bit to get used to where to fire and how to compensate, then you have to relearn once you slap a scope mod on. But bolt action sniper rifles all the way for me.

Vitalsine
04-16-2013, 11:24 AM
I hated semi's until I started working on the Sniper pursuit. Now that I have them at level 7, I have to say, they are pretty sweet. You can use them on the fly, from the hip, and once you get your routine down you can take down a whole squad extremely fast, even in PVP. I still prefer bolt action because I do almost double the damage, but I really want this pursuit... Just wanted to say that the semi's don't deserve to be slept on. Just put on a shorter range scope and it will all come in time. Lately I have been using telescopic sights.

SweetMadness

I'd advise bolt action & headshots for max damage. Semi-auto snipers suck in any game IMO.

Actually, I suspect you mean with a certain EGO skill, not at a certain EGO level.

Personally I've used it with decoy and blur. Decoy gives easier targets (if leveled up & enhanced by perks) whereas stealth lets you get to a good position easier.

I agree with Bolt over Semi. Obviously you'll need to use semi for ER and the pursuits, but if you don't care about that bolt is better. Semi is basically a slightly more damaging version of the battle rifle variant of assault rifles, with a significantly lower ammo reserve.

Unknown
I think the issue is less that snipers suck but more that they can not be used efficiently as a main weapon due to severe ammo shortage.

I think a doubling of the current ammo reserve would not go a miss, thus allowing players to more actively use such against boss-types and arkfalls.

I can say that the lack of ammo is something wrong with the set up you are using. Sniper riffle headshots nearly always crit, which means you can quite easily get crit kills. Using the Assassin's cache perk refills 1% 2% 3% ammo on a crit kill which is plenty for a sniper. The only time you may notice lack of ammo is in major arkfalls or co-op instances where you are not getting the kill shot but then it's not so much bother as you can normally lose aggro to someone else. Boss fights there's always an ammo cache or two in easy range of a sniper, you don't even have to move to take pot shot's and then full refill at the same time :)

I'd say there are actually 3 types of sniper rifle as I personally class the double tap sniper rifles as a class of their own. That's just personal opinion. But playing around with them can be quite fun once you get used to having to shoot in the chest and calculate where the headshot will hit after

PseudoCool
04-16-2013, 11:25 AM

I don't think it's a matter of ammo. I *DO* however believe it's a serious limitation in draw distance. I've got a military grade sniper rifle sitting in my gun safe right now, and you can damn sure be it shoots a helluva lot farther than 80 meters...lol Pretty much has the same effect tho.. heads go pop if ya use the right rounds :)

And I've used my sniper rifle for Arkfalls.. they work GREAT against mutants, especially if you can get the high ground and let everyone else run around in the debris field. Then you sit up there and play "cover man" for everyone else as they survive the mobs... pick off this target here.. pick off that target there... headshots, headshots, HEADSHOTS! LOL

Pulsar
04-16-2013, 11:26 AM
headshots, headshots, headshots! Lol

boom headshot!!!

RoG Goat
04-16-2013, 11:27 AM
I laugh when someone tries to snipe me in-game.
I just evade when I get hit, and by the time they correct their scope I'm already pounding them with an overcharged LMG.

Napalm Sunrise
04-16-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't think it's a matter of ammo. I *DO* however believe it's a serious limitation in draw distance. I've got a military grade sniper rifle sitting in my gun safe right now, and you can damn sure be it shoots a helluva lot farther than 80 meters...lol Pretty much has the same effect tho.. heads go pop if ya use the right rounds :)

And I've used my sniper rifle for Arkfalls.. they work GREAT against mutants, especially if you can get the high ground and let everyone else run around in the debris field. Then you sit up there and play "cover man" for everyone else as they survive the mobs... pick off this target here.. pick off that target there... headshots, headshots, HEADSHOTS! LOL

I can appreciate a good samaritan, playing Finger of God on the ridge. How do you stay supplied though? I mean 50 rounds plus whatever is in the mag actually goes pretty fast in Hellbug Arkfalls and probably Scrapper Ark Falls too.

Ichidakiller
04-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Cool.. I'll have to try that. I generally dump my Bullrush's, and I guess now that I'm working on my pistol skill, I'll have to give it a try. How's the falloff? Range?

That's the downside its up-close to mid range at best. I have one with a scope that does around 700-1k headshot about 40meters
But anything longer then 40meters im using my sniper anyways.

Tango80
04-16-2013, 11:34 AM
There is one downside atm for Sniper rifles (this is on the 360 so i don't know what it's like on the PC, or PS3)
The draw range when looking down the scope is about 80 - 100m

That being said most real guns can see and shoot much further than that.

And for those that didn't know yes i did some testing in game. I'll link my previous post here.
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?37154-Maximum-View-range-for-sniper-scopes

Weirdkid
04-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I've used a bolt action as my primary gun since day 1. I haven't been playing as much but I've done perfectly fine with it up until fighting Nim. Currently level 11 (Would be higher if I knew you needed to switch weapons once the weapon was maxed) and using it with Overcharge and my Ego level is 505. Ammo was never an issue for me other than with the Arkfalls as I only aim for headshots.

They have their uses, they are very useful for picking off the other snipers. You can two shot the dark matter snipers that hide on buildings if you know where they spawn, making clearing areas much smoother. You have two weapons to switch between for a reason. I use a assault rifle as a medium to close range cleanup weapon.
I one shot dark matter snipers with my bolt action. They usually get the jump on me with their cloak but after that it's easy to find them and one shot them.

Lollie
04-16-2013, 11:41 AM
You have to aim for the head, and be ballsy and accurate and keep aiming for their heads as long as possible because another 10 mobs will appear out of nowhere like they're psychic and start running and shooting at you. They also magically know exactly where you are hiding even if you shift position a lot. Keep another weapon handy ;)

Orbital
04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
I one shot dark matter snipers with my bolt action. They usually get the jump on me with their cloak but after that it's easy to find them and one shot them.

Cool, I haven't maxed out my legendary or found the blue mods I want for it yet. I'm sure it is possible, but it is usually hard to do a headshot while they are cloaked sometimes.

Spydaw
04-16-2013, 11:44 AM
I really love the damage of the sniper rifles in this game. I am a huge fan of stealth and sniping, Defiance allows me to do both. Just pick the targets off one by one, from a distance, and swoop in and mop up after.

BleakPanther
04-16-2013, 11:45 AM
You have to aim for the head, and be ballsy and accurate and keep aiming for their heads as long as possible because another 10 mobs will appear out of nowhere like they're psychic and start running and shooting at you. They also magically know exactly where you are hiding even if you shift position a lot. Keep another weapon handy ;)

This is true most of the time. Find a good position, pop some tops, swap weapons and move, rinse and repeat.

Unknown
04-16-2013, 11:46 AM

Yeah this is the one thing that bugs me... If I can see it in range with a sniper rifle I should be able to hit it... But quite Often I find myself taking a shot and having to move a few paces closer as it was somehow out of range... Yet swap to a pistol and i can still hit it from the same distance >.<

Unknown
04-16-2013, 11:48 AM
I can appreciate a good samaritan, playing Finger of God on the ridge. How do you stay supplied though? I mean 50 rounds plus whatever is in the mag actually goes pretty fast in Hellbug Arkfalls and probably Scrapper Ark Falls too.

It's all in the perks... Assassin's Cache near the cloak perk... must have for snipers

Pyth
04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
They're great PvE weapons. Much tougher to use on the PvP side of things.

rhodezie
04-16-2013, 11:54 AM

I dont know what games you have been playing but i know a few with good semi-automatic sniper rifles/battle rifles in some cases because battlefield 3 think a sks is a sniper rifle which it is not

nWp
04-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Just aim better or use noob tubes.

Dazz
04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
My primary loadout is the SAW and VOT Bolter. Loved the semi-auto sniper early in the game. Early bolt actions are a pain because you lose target acquisition when working the action. Semi-autos let you stay on target for followup shots. The bolter is nice because its a rapid reload and you don't lose the target. One-shots get harder to do against shielded mobs like the dark matter guys. Mutants are awesome one-shot, one kill.