PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of speech an excuse of ignorance?

Escyos
03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Over the years I have had many arguments online with people over things and when I correct them I often get the whole "I have freedom of speech" thing.

My question is: Do Americans (and others) really assume that just because they can say whatever they want, that excuses them of being right or even maintaining the simplest of manners?

Protonix
03-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Well most Americans are idiots. Freedom of speech only applies to speaking out against the government and/or speaking on public grounds. It doesn't apply to a privately run forum, it doesn't apply to threatening other people and so on.

UmbrusNightshade
03-14-2013, 07:55 PM
As a citizen of the United States, I regrettably must admit that many of my countrymen do indeed believe that freedom of speech does in fact justify falsities and the lack of manners. This is because of our atrocious public school system and because of the hardcore relativistic "morality" that is being pushed in these schools. I find that our young adults and children are less and less prepared for the real world and are more lacking in basic intelligence with each successive year. For this, I am ashamed and sincerely apologize.

Protonix
03-14-2013, 07:57 PM
If kids are learning their morals from the school system, parents are doing it wrong.

I'm not sure why all of a sudden it became the cool thing to blame anyone BUT the parents when their kids turned out stupid or when they turned out to be criminals etc.

UmbrusNightshade
03-14-2013, 08:04 PM
If kids are learning their morals from the school system, parents are doing it wrong.

I'm not sure why all of a sudden it became the cool thing to blame anyone BUT the parents when their kids turned out stupid or when they turned out to be criminals etc.

Oh I agree absolutely. The problem is that many parents here let the schools raise their children. They only do the bare minimum (if that) by law and then let their kids do as they please because they are too lazy, stoned, etc. to do their job.

FaerGothika
03-14-2013, 11:38 PM
I tend to agree with UmbrusNightshade, but I'd take the explanation a bit further.

You have kids being raised by people who either grew up during, or are the children of people from, the ME Generation, as in it's all about me and everything else takes a backseat, including family and so on. (Face it, in America, if a dab will do, then a freaking boatload HAS to be better, right?) Pair that with the boneheaded ideas hammered into American heads by the followers of Dr. Benjamin Spock (Spanking is bad, m'kay.), and the end result is what we have now: self-focused, self-centered, selfish, self-righteous hardly educated monsters, each with a sense of entitlement the size of the Milky Way. They are quick to condemn anything they don't like, but how DARE you attempt to nay-say them, no matter how wrong or stupid or jacked up they may be.

There is no reasoning with people like this. If you call them on anything, the response is denial or name calling or immediate violence. The more "extroverted" these monsters are, the more likely they will be to take offense to you minding your business. This is part of the reason for bullying to be so troublesome in the USA these days.

And the truly frightening thing about these monsters is the high-level of innate intelligence they possess. Sure, they don't seem to understand anything worthwhile, but they know how to size up situations and how to manipulate circumstance, systems and people to their advantage, to get what THEY want. If we could harness those abilities for something positive for the good of everyone, the USA would be a better place. But that will never happen because we would be denying them their right to be "who they want to be".

ZombieTech
03-15-2013, 02:40 AM
I completely agree with this entire thread. Too many people act way too "entitled", and expect more than they give. I'm an old dog and all... and even though my upbringing and family were horrible, I still managed to learn that respect isn't given, it's earned. Just like you reap what you sew. The new ME generation as it's been called, have come to expect everything on a silver platter and "claim" they'll cover the tab (respect, civility, manners, etc) once they get what they want (spoiled). Sadly, most never do... they get what they want and keep on running the tab higher and higher. Maybe they should call it the "credit" generation or "deficit spending" generation. I just keep faith that karma eventually catches up to all people... and the "ME is all that counts" types eventually get theirs when they bite off more than they can chew... and/or their ego/pride/conceitedness blows up in their face. Sometimes it's nice every once in a great while to be there to see it happen when it does. :cool:

Escyos
05-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Just had another run in with Americans on the facebook page, fairly quickly told me to "die in a desert" so when I told him that the nearest desert was hundreds of kilometers away and his ignorance was failry obvious he called in several of his friends. I decided to take a point from him and make an assumption that just because he was wearing an army uniform that he was an idiot, put them in an uproar.

Kind of annoying how Americans use stereotypes for everyone else but the second you do it to them they start getting super angry and even threaten you.

ShiMoShinkenFry
05-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Ignorance is bliss to some people.

Clown
05-24-2013, 07:38 PM
... stupid key combination ruined my entire post by forcing me into advance settings... I'm American, other Americans define the definition of stupid every minute of the day, I see why the world hate us... it's a bit strong but you get the point.

They should study up on some History and then take a look at other countries before throwing around "Freedom of speech" because it appears they don't understand what it means.

TheFlyingBrandito
05-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Not to jump on the "Defend good ol Murica" train but I am military and an American. I am proud of the good and I accept that we have also done bad but what nation is perfect? I feel your pain and being an American myself trust me I see ignorance and stereotypes alot and while some Americans are VERY stuck up and see themselves as perfect, many also do not. Many like myself realize that my Nation is not BETTER than yours but different. The world has gained alot from American and so has it from your nation as well. Please do not become the very thing your typing again and stereotype all Americans for stereotyping people. I think in life you will find that "Hate drives fastest on a two way road" this means that while someone can just HATE someone, usually the two hate on another and because of this a vicious cycle is created. I don't assume things about you because of you nation, your religion or you ethnicity, please don't do that to me. If you want people to change and trust me I am with you on wanting them to, then you need to be the example for them to follow.

Fiancee
05-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Are you so IGNORANT? You're one of them. Yout question is pretty no-brainer, we arent damn caged animals, we love to live freely and do whatever we want and say whatever we want, just human nature.