PDA

View Full Version : Community Ambassadors?

Quizzical Harpy
06-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I know on the rift forums there are about 3 community ambassadors. It would be nice to have some for defiant too! You know, getting feedback during early stages of development.

I think there are already a few keen people really being active with community it would be lovely to get lots of interaction.

What do you think?

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 02:26 PM
What do you think?

I think it's an excellent idea!

Turrant
06-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I think it is a little early to determine who gets the Community Ambassador titles on the forums. I will say hoever that there are some people whom should they keep up thier efforts should get them in due time.

*cough*Escyos*cough*Adsinonimous*cough* ;)

I would say that they would get the green forum names as well but they are already kind of green on this forum by default, not the light blue color like on the Rift forums. Red is currently being used by mods and devs, so maybe a purple or dark orange?

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 03:56 PM

Awwh :) Thank you friend!

fuzzynaru
06-06-2012, 04:00 PM
I think it is a little early to determine who gets the Community Ambassador titles on the forums. I will say hoever that there are some people whom should they keep up thier efforts should get them in due time.

I would say that they would get the green forum names as well but they are already kind of green on this forum by default, not the light blue color like on the Rift forums. Red is currently being used by mods and devs, so maybe a purple or dark orange?

I do agree And it is a god idea.

Cyber
06-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Yeah End of Nations did the same thing, although they were chosen quite a bit after the launch of the community to differentiate those who were genuinely contributing versus those who were simply spam posting in order to rapidly increase their post count. Once the community here picks up speed and has been going for a little while I would imagine they will get some kind of ambassador system going.

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Yes. I believe that, if there is to be ambassadors in the Forums, they should have complete understanding of the forums but they should also have a good reputation within the community. I also think it should be after, pretty much, all information about the game has been released as some people may decide they do not want to play this game for various reasons from friends deciding they wont play with them to not wanting to pay a monthly subscription if there is to be one.

Escyos
06-06-2012, 05:31 PM

:D

Not sure what a community ambassador would do.

Turrant
06-06-2012, 05:44 PM
For those that do not know; taken from the Rift forums.

RIFT Community Ambassador Program
The RIFT Community is made richer by those who go out of their way to make it a welcoming and friendly place to be. We do notice these individuals, and want to recognize them in a way that others will too! We're happy to introduce everyone to our RIFT Community Ambassador Program! This FAQ explains the basics about this program, but please feel free to ask any questions we haven't covered. We will be making our initial round of selections and announcing your first few RIFT Community Ambassadors next week, so stay tuned!

What is the RIFT Community Ambassador Program?

The RIFT Community Ambassador Program is created to recognize individuals who have made the RIFT community a better place through their constructive and enthusiastic participation and interaction.

What is the purpose of a RIFT Community Ambassador?

RIFT Community Ambassadors are intended to be knowledgeable, helpful, and enthusiastic members of the RIFT Community. They will be identifiable by a custom title, both in-game and on the official forums, RIFT Community Ambassadors are natural community helpers, and all-around go-to individuals within the RIFT Community.

Why would someone want to become a RIFT Community Ambassador?

Those who are RIFT Community Ambassador material are probably already doing the things we'd be looking for because they enjoy it, but we do have a few recognition perks. RIFT Community Ambassadors are given a unique title in-game and on the official forums. They are also given their own forum area to offer suggestions and feedback about how to improve the RIFT Community (please note, this is not for game feedback).

How does one become a RIFT Community Ambassador?

We will not be revealing the full selection process, but we will say that being enthusiastic, helpful, friendly, active, and involved are a great start. We will be accepting nominations from our community, but you are not allowed to nominate yourself. We will not be considering requests to become a RIFT Community Ambassador, and all steps of the selection are at the discretion of the RIFT Community Team. If you wish to nominate someone, please send a PM to any of the moderators, or send an email to community@riftgame.com. Please be aware that we will not comment on nominations beyond letting you know we received them.

How does this differ from a volunteer program?

These are hand-picked individuals who have proven their desire to improve the RIFT community. They are not asked or required to perform any duties and are not given any responsibilities; they do it because they love RIFT and the RIFT Community, have a desire to make it a better place, we want to recognize them for it. It's also worth noting that we do expect our RIFT Community Ambassadors to hold themselves to a high standard. Earning infractions on the forums, or getting suspended from the game will result in being removed from the RIFT Community Ambassador program.

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Thank You Turrant. You're always so helpful :)

fuzzynaru
06-06-2012, 05:54 PM
You would be a good ambassador my i say so myself

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 06:10 PM
You would be a good ambassador my i say so myself

Who was this comment directed at? There was no quote or address so I'm just wondering who you were talking to :)

fuzzynaru
06-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Talkin to you

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Talkin to you

Oh! Well in that case. Thank you very much, man!

Shrapnil
06-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me. you have my vote for this.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 07:55 AM
My vote too. If we got to vote in such situations.

Cyber
06-07-2012, 08:14 AM
"Those who are RIFT Community Ambassador material are probably already doing the things we'd be looking for because they enjoy it..."

This is the critcal part. As was stated nicely on the End of Nations forums, you get the title for already doing the job, not do the job once you get the title. It is way too premature to worry about this stuff on here yet. Everyone just continue contributing and let them worry about it.

Adsinonimous
06-07-2012, 10:46 AM
"Those who are RIFT Community Ambassador material are probably already doing the things we'd be looking for because they enjoy it..."

This is the critcal part. As was stated nicely on the End of Nations forums, you get the title for already doing the job, not do the job once you get the title. It is way to premature to worry about this stuff on here yet. Everyone just continue contributing and let them worry about it.

Yeah, well said. Everyone should contribute as much as they can anyway and if it comes to having community ambassadors, I'm sure those who have made an excellent contribution to the community will be picked or voted for, however it might work,

Walsingham
06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I know on the rift forums there are about 3 community ambassadors. It would be nice to have some for defiant too! You know, getting feedback during early stages of development.

I think there are already a few keen people really being active with community it would be lovely to get lots of interaction.

What do you think?

This is definitely something we would like to take a look at down the road. :)

Kalbuir
06-27-2012, 11:08 AM
I think with the right people it can defiantly be a good addition to any forum, although I think its far to early to setup these sorts of things.

Aythir
06-27-2012, 11:25 AM
I feel that this would be too early to implement this type of thing, due to most points people have already announced. Also The 15-20 people on this forum are all pretty active I feel with getting their points across. Some I feel, like me, just do not feel they need to post something small on a topic that would provide not much information just for the extra post number. I have the forums up all day on my laptop and I check them dozens of times throughout the day reading what everyone has posted, but I just post very rarely to make sure that I have a good chunk of something to say, not just a single line of text.

Adsinonimous does do a good job with relations throughout the forums which is a good job so keep it up, but I feel there are a lot of others that may not be as active that would also bring to the table. I have notice they do not bring as many posts to the boards but what they do have to say is very well thought out and has a lot of bang for the buck. This is just my way of seeing though.

Malchuth
07-01-2012, 12:17 AM
i would like to see trion worlds even go one step further with its ambassador programm to something like the CSM of CCP:

"The Council of Stellar Management (CSM) is a player-elected council who represent the views of the members of the EVE Online community to CCP. The purpose of the CSM is to represent society interests to CCP. This requires active engagement with the player community to master EVE issue awareness, understanding, and evaluation in the context of the greatest good for the greater player base."

for more information click here (http://community.eveonline.com/council/voting/http://)

Kalbuir
07-01-2012, 02:44 AM
i would like to see trion worlds even go one step further with its ambassador programm to something like the CSM of CCP:

"The Council of Stellar Management (CSM) is a player-elected council who represent the views of the members of the EVE Online community to CCP. The purpose of the CSM is to represent society interests to CCP. This requires active engagement with the player community to master EVE issue awareness, understanding, and evaluation in the context of the greatest good for the greater player base."

for more information click here (http://community.eveonline.com/council/voting/http://)

I loved that about EVE, however I am curious how something like that would play out in a "normal" MMO. Don't get me wrong I am not downplaying EVE's success (actually imo EVE is one of the most successful ones and sticking with their (hard)core group of players). I am just curious how todays average MMO community would handle such a setup, as pick any random official forum after a successful launch and it's mayhem at times.

The reason it works so well in EVE I think, is because EVE's maturity level of the playerbase is much higher, I am not even speaking of age itself but the majority of that community is still part of the "old" guard of MMO players. Listening to reason, able to phrase their thoughts without calling people out and most of all a willingness to keep an open mind.

I think it's one of the best ways to collect a sort of focused feedback but I wonder out-loud if it will work in MMO's these days.

Cyber
07-01-2012, 12:25 PM
The reason it works so well in EVE I think, is because EVE's maturity level of the playerbase is much higher, I am not even speaking of age itself but the majority of that community is still part of the "old" guard of MMO players. Listening to reason, able to phrase their thoughts without calling people out and most of all a willingness to keep an open mind.

I believe it is less to with the maturity of EVE players (I have been a long time EVE player and I wouldn't say they are that much more mature, just generally way more invested), rather than the type of MMO EVE is. Given that the EVE universe is so heavily influenced by the player base (i.e. a huge amount of the game universe is due to player input) that it stands to reason that the community should have such a strong voice. Most other MMOs aren't shaped by the players to the extent EVE is, and as such the player base simply doesn't need that kind of involvement.

Should the Defiance have the depth of influence of players on the in-game world, economy, politics, etc., then it might benefit from this, but I doubt it will be anything close to what is seen in EVE.

Malchuth
07-02-2012, 01:48 AM
does a close relationship to the community depend on the depth and complexity of a mmo(rp)g? not necessarly, i would think. the CSM of EvE is more like a reflection of the mood and thoughts of the players and not only the hardcore ones. nowadays it seams that developers don't even listen to the people (trion might be an exception of the rule) and are more into what some economical analysts tell them.

the disappointment that bioware failed to create something longlasting with sw:tor or that the elder scrolls online seams to be another wow-clon aren't anymore only concerns of so called mmo(rp)g veterans or hardcore players, even the casual gamers are tiered of the repetitive concepts. no wonder that games like guild wars 2 are so (over)hyped, that archeage and world of darkness are so promising expected.

i agree if you might say its not always advisable to listen too much to the community but it can't hurt if a developer invites a bunch of representatives once every 6 or 12 month to their studios and discuss upcoming changes and additional features.

Kalbuir
07-02-2012, 10:13 AM
While I do think that many veteran gamers have become tired of the cookie cutter: cater to all fully satisfy none concept. I think by the time the community is big enough and knows enough about the game to give that sort of feedback in a council form to developers your already too late. I mean most important desin decisions and fundamentals are locked in early on. Not only that but these initial steps \ decisions also determine which intitial playergroup will show interest in the game.

What I mean is that what many or well maybe few of these old timers are looking for is simply not being considered in main stream MMO's anymore. Nor do I expect Defiance will, which is ok it is about profit in the end and having a large target group helps greatly with that. I think RIFT is a great example of a game that is enjoyable for all but a lot of the gamers that grew up with MMO's dont feel fully satisfied like they were in the past when MMOs belonged in a niche market. None the less I love RIFT yet I miss a lot of mechanics in older games.

Personally I am OK with the.current state of online gaming. I enjoy a lot of games when they first come out but very few have the ability to hold on to players for years like in my case Anarchy, EQ, SWG, Vanguard did. part of his is ofcourse because of more titltes coming out but it also has to do in my oppinion with the learning curve and especially depth these games offered (offer). some concrete examples would be a crafting system that requires you to learn quite a bit an most of all can almost be played as aseperate game. A combat and class system that was for its day quite indepth and playing with max efficiency wasnt a matter of 3 button rotations.

We are in a day and age where real virtual worlds are pretty damn feasible. The sky is the limit (or should I say resources?). Features like open world housing, actual building, a real economy, open world dungeons are all examples of features in old mmos that with todays technology could be implemented much better.

My one big hope (TRION, Lars butler if your reading this give it a second of thought for us old timers). Is that one day when the MMO market crashes / breaks down due to simply having too many generic titles that a respectable company with experienced designers and devs are willing to invest in a more specific (and more loyal) target group. the box sales might not be in the multiple milions but I would expect the staying power of the playerbase to be much bigger due to the game actually fitting the player instead of moving off after the initial hype passed.

I expect it to get harder and harder for companies to year after year blow out new online games which sell for the big tiltles of the last years. However untill then I will enjoy myself with all the current games.

(this is what happens if I spend an hour in the buss bored, sorry or the mindless banter)

Quizzical Harpy
07-03-2012, 06:40 AM

I think the community managers will deal with this. Trion already employs 4(?) Community managers who read the forums, update the facebook/twitter ect and on the Rift forums they regularly post that they have pass information onto the devs. There were also dev Q&As published every so often, they often dealt with the issue of high demand features for rift.

To be given the title of community ambassador is recognition of the work they have put in to improve and support the community.

Adsinonimous
07-03-2012, 08:33 AM
I think the community managers will deal with this. Trion already employs 4(?) Community managers who read the forums, update the facebook/twitter ect and on the Rift forums they regularly post that they have pass information onto the devs. There were also dev Q&As published every so often, they often dealt with the issue of high demand features for rift.

To be given the title of community ambassador is recognition of the work they have put in to improve and support the community.

Yeah, you're right. The reason we don't need something like EVE online has is because Trion employs people to help with the transfer of ideas from the community. If we need something, or there is something wrong with the game, we can just contact community managers with ease because Trion has great activity within the community, itself. :cool:

Community Ambassadors should not be thought of as staff for the Trion team. I think they should be people whom have a lot of contribution to the community and they should be a naturally helpful person who people can trust; But they should not have duties that are compulsory. Without compulsory duties to do, it shows how genuine a community ambassador really is, which I love. And I also think that this gives people who are fairly new to the community, a better chance to interact with the community and a little more encouragement to do so as some people may find it a little daunting to ask questions to the team itself as they may feel they are being rude or unnecessary.

Evil Wall
02-03-2014, 01:21 PM
That would be awesome