PDA

View Full Version : If one fails will the other continue

Darktide
11-19-2012, 05:28 AM
I was just wondering that since the show and game or so intertwined what would happen if the show got cancelled? Would the game continue and the other way about.

Escyos
11-19-2012, 05:34 AM
I was just wondering that since the show and game or so intertwined what would happen if the show got cancelled? Would the game continue and the other way about.

There was mention somewhere that they are not dependent on one another and so if the show is cancelled the game can continue or if the game dies the show can keep going.

Jenbuu
11-19-2012, 07:15 AM
There was mention somewhere that they are not dependent on one another and so if the show is cancelled the game can continue or if the game dies the show can keep going.

i think it may have been the SDCC panel?

JellyBean
11-19-2012, 12:25 PM
i think it may have been the SDCC panel?

Yea it was, they made it quite clear that neither is financially dependent and both can survive without the other. They have the ability to Enhance the other.

Vega
11-19-2012, 10:08 PM
          

Escyos
11-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Its great that they are financially independant but if one fails could the other survive long after with audience/fan base/gamers?

I imagine they will continue as most games and TV shows do, usually ones without a tie-in TV show or a game, which is all of them.

Kalbuir
11-20-2012, 01:31 AM
I got the impression from GamesCom that they do plan for every outcome, it was said multiple times that they make the game good and fun enough to be unique and successful on its own. And the implications for the TV show failing are much bigger for the game than the other way around.

Basically if they game turns out to be bad (no chance in hell, mark my words), this means very little for the TV series besides TRION potentially having an IP they don't use for a game anymore. But like I said I do believe this is NOT even an option.

Vega
11-21-2012, 04:00 AM
          

vampero
11-21-2012, 04:59 AM
No chance in hell indeed :D Its a solid looking game from what I have seen so far and from what Rift has done for Trion(or Trion for Rift:D) Defiance will be here to stay.

I hope you are right ! I would love to see that. The only way the game Defiance will fail is if Trion does not support it right and I don't see that happening.

Carnak
11-21-2012, 04:26 PM
As much as they're upselling the transmedia elements I wouldn't worry about this.

MMOs rarely actually shut down even if they don't do so well. And TRION only has a few games in its stable so worst case scenario would be they'd keep it going but not invest much in ongoing development.

TV shows - especially sci-fi ones - have unpredictable and often short lifespans.

Why?

MMOs have high initial development cost and long development time, then it's mostly just raking in money.

TV shows have high ongoing production costs.

Kalbuir
11-22-2012, 03:44 AM
MMOs rarely actually shut down even if they don't do so well. And TRION only has a few games in its stable so worst case scenario would be they'd keep it going but not invest much in ongoing development.

They won't shut down but if you look at say Vanguard, Planetside 1, the failed EA space MMO (can't think of name atm) they first get put in the freezer with staff that can maintain the game not expand it then it slowly dies. These days its a bit more optimistic as they are converted to F2P and at least keep some resources going. But back in the day most not super successful MMO's died a slow and painful (for fans) death.

Shadinaxx
11-22-2012, 10:01 AM
The "failed" EA space MMO was not a failure if you are thinking of Earth and Beyond. EA bought Westwood studios, and shut the game down after terminating all their staff. The game has been reborn through an emulater now, funded only on voluntary donations.

Your point however, is valid, while most MMO's wont shut down, many are cut short before they actually get interesting, and without continued funding, they just dont get to mature into their storyline, etc.

Another for the list: Tabula Rasa

Carnak
11-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Your point however, is valid, while most MMO's wont shut down, many are cut short before they actually get interesting, and without continued funding, they just dont get to mature into their storyline, etc.

If they're not interesting from the start.... could be why they fail and get cut short?