PDA

View Full Version : Headshots.. what I did wrong?

Snowranger19
04-16-2013, 11:25 AM
I am not sure if this is just me but.. is anyone else having weird problems with headshots? I never had trouble before, I would line up my crosshairs and hit them in the head...

Now, well specifically today, I line it up, and either its not a critical headshot or it MISSES completely. I did this on many occasions with both Raiders and 99ers. Is it the scope? The gun? Lag? Am I missing something? Headshots were so fun but now its just frustrating because I am not sure if I am going to hit it or not. Its resulted in me just going for body shots now in order to not waste ammo.

gtr
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM
If you cant hit the head. Aim for the balls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrimPaladin
04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
I've noticed that. It seems like you have to aim a bit low when you're a long distance away.

alred
04-16-2013, 11:44 AM
I am not sure if this is just me but.. is anyone else having weird problems with headshots? I never had trouble before, I would line up my crosshairs and hit them in the head...

Now, well specifically today, I line it up, and either its not a critical headshot or it MISSES completely. I did this on many occasions with both Raiders and 99ers. Is it the scope? The gun? Lag? Am I missing something? Headshots were so fun but now its just frustrating because I am not sure if I am going to hit it or not. Its resulted in me just going for body shots now in order to not waste ammo.
I'm a spray and pray type of person. But only as back up. I'm a firm believer in the use of rocket launchers and grenades. Though I think that they are underpowered. I hit the enemy, and he gets a little ding. He hits me, and I'm dead. lol.

Snowranger19
04-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Right.. even when aiming at the throat sometimes it hits the head and sometimes it doesn't. Did they add bullet drift in and forget to mention it?

I've noticed that. It seems like you have to aim a bit low when you're a long distance away.

Kogasa Tatara
04-16-2013, 11:45 AM
If you're using a scope, remove it. The scopes add +Accuracy, which does the opposite of what you might think it'd do.

Gibbins
04-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Yeah i find this correct... the Hitbox for the head doesnt seem to quite cover the whole head and just the bottom half.

I find aiming for the Neck seems to work most the time, if not just take the assist ^^

Shima
04-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Yea scope mods (or the accuracy stat) are bugged and make your shots worse, not better.

CyberGHOST
04-16-2013, 11:47 AM
A lot of things can be taken into account.
Are your targets on the move? Is there a latency issue? How far away are you? and more.

From my experience shooting my rifle. I always aim for the throat. It works every time.

Side note: There is a thread that said scope or anything mod that add accuracy will actually lower your gun's accuracy. Not sure if this is true, but the thread is quite large and have a few pages. Don't quote me on it though.:p

Kogasa Tatara
04-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Side note: There is a thread that said scope or anything mod that add accuracy will actually lower your gun's accuracy. Not sure if this is true, but the thread is quite large and have a few pages. Don't quote me on it though.:p

I hate to say it, but its true. Had a sniper rifle that when I added a scope, became unreliable as hell. Just sold the damned thing in the end.

Highbinder
04-16-2013, 11:49 AM
It depends on the weapon, the range, etc, while a magnum works a lot like a sniper riffle the fall off on the dmg at range is insane, snipers can hit in the head but you need to see if it has a chance of missing the mark, AR's and LMGs pretty much never hit where you are aiming. As to head shooting 99ers they can be a pain just because they move so dang much.

cjhaus123
04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Yep been sniping the entire game.. lvl 12 sniper, I wasn't getting a single head shot.. by luck or off chance I was getting them.

MrCawsan
04-16-2013, 11:52 AM

To be fair, in real life a bullet actually ascends a good distance before it takes the projectile lane of descending to the ground. So aiming directly for the scalp of a headshot at 200-300m distance would result in a missed shot.

Gotta love military rifle training.

Shima
04-16-2013, 11:53 AM
To be fair, in real life a bullet actually ascends a good distance before it takes the projectile lane of descending to the ground. So aiming directly for the scalp of a headshot at 200-300m distance would result in a missed shot.

Gotta love military rifle training.

Fortunately the game isn't designed that way :P

It's just a bug with the accuracy stat on scopes causing you to miss. Not gravity or wind.

MrCawsan
04-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Fortunately the game isn't designed that way :P

It's just a bug with the accuracy stat on scopes causing you to miss. Not gravity or wind.

I know, just wanted to share my experiences from the airforce... like a baws.. of some sort.. I should stop now.

Sterling191
04-16-2013, 12:08 PM
As to head shooting 99ers they can be a pain just because they move so dang much.

They may move a bit, but relatively speaking the amount of head movement compared to say a Raider is fairly minimal.

Plus they have very convenient light up targets for you to aim at.

Santana Ortega
04-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Body shots with an Auto sniper rifle works best

Reaper85
04-16-2013, 12:11 PM
On the subject of sniper rifles, does anyone know why the crit % multiplyer from the weapon skill doesnt add to the weapon? my headshot damage is the same now with level 16 in bolt actions as my alt with level 1 sniper skill.

Dazz
04-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Sounds like maybe bloom went up for the OP.

MahChew
04-16-2013, 12:19 PM
aim for the jugular works 95% of the time for me

Snowranger19
04-16-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't think bloom effects sniper rifles on their first shot? Bloom is after firing.. no?

Sounds like maybe bloom went up for the OP.

Shima
04-16-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't think bloom effects sniper rifles on their first shot? Bloom is after firing.. no?

Yea bloom wouldn't really apply unless you were spamming a semi-automatic or something.

Weirdkid
04-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Like others have said, remove the scope. I tested it myself with a bolt action. Shot with it before I put the scope on, with the scope, and without a scope again. Shots got messed up with the scope and returned to normal after I removed it.

Here's a link to the other thread.
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?27092-Sniper-Rifle-Accuracy-Varies-Wildly

Dazz
04-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't think bloom effects sniper rifles on their first shot? Bloom is after firing.. no? My understanding is that bloom is a probability that your round will hit within a certain radius at a certain distance. The further away from the target, the larger the radius. Unless they've done something to factor in barrel heating effects, I don't see why bloom isn't factored in on every shot, first or last.

Snowranger19
04-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Bloom is how much your reticle/crosshairs spread from you intended target... like your first shot has a certain reticle, your next will have a larger area, blah blah blah... Bloom is reduced by aiming and increased by hip-shooting. I believe.

My understanding is that bloom is a probability that your round will hit within a certain radius at a certain distance. The further away from the target, the larger the radius. Unless they've done something to factor in barrel heating effects, I don't see why bloom isn't factored in on every shot, first or last.

dirtyklingon
04-16-2013, 12:44 PM
bloom also affects spray pattern.

idk if it affects auto snipes.

Dazz
04-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Bloom is how much your reticle/crosshairs spread from you intended target... like your first shot has a certain reticle, your next will have a larger area, blah blah blah... Bloom is reduced by aiming and increased by hip-shooting. I believe.

I did some experiments with a scoped automatic. There were no visible differences in the view through the reticle that I could see over time, only drifting off target by recoil effects. *shrugs* maybe they are invisible effects.

Dead Body
04-16-2013, 01:08 PM
If you're using a scope, remove it. The scopes add +Accuracy, which does the opposite of what you might think it'd do.

U serious? so never use sights? never aim down barrel? or just not bother to add a scope in the first place?

Shima
04-16-2013, 01:11 PM
U serious? so never use sights? never aim down barrel? or just not bother to add a scope in the first place?

Just don't add a scope mod. Aiming works fine otherwise.