PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think that the Indogene doctor in the series is awesome?

Beta582
04-16-2013, 12:43 PM
I mean seriously, absolutely hilarious and somewhat sadistic! I love it!

Exes
04-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Good human!

jonwes
Yep. One of my favorites.

K A S H I H A R A D
But of course.

RelativeBlue
That weird woman doctor? No, I don't like her one bit. Not one bit.

KashraFall
04-16-2013, 12:45 PM
"Nolan: How ya doin up there doc?"

"Doctor: If you rush me...we go boom. If you shout at me...we go boom. Now you know how I am doing."

Who can't love this character? She is awesome!

WirelessPillow
04-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Reminds me of a character in Farscape, been a while since I have watched that though.

Beta582
That weird woman doctor? No, I don't like her one bit. Not one bit.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ELFl2_1q7DI/TObn1HnV2fI/AAAAAAAAAaQ/5JkvAtpbv7k/s1600/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Exes
"Nolan: How ya doin up there doc?"

"Doctor: If you rush me...we go boom. If you shout at me...we go boom. Now you know how I am doing."

Who can't love this character? She is awesome!

To be honest that was probably one of the worst lines she had.

fang1192
She was awesome, although i think this would fit better under Story & lore in the gameplay forum. Just loved her no nonsense, straightforward character.

Edit: @exes, that just tells you how good the rest of her lines are. lol.

KashraFall
04-16-2013, 12:47 PM

She had about five lines total. This one stood out and made me laugh just due to nolan's facial expressions.

Beta582
04-16-2013, 12:48 PM
She was awesome, although i think this would fit better under Story & lore in the gameplay forum. Just loved her no nonsense, straightforward character.

Technically, this isn't gameplay considering that it was in the show...

MrGrinse
04-16-2013, 12:48 PM

Indeed. Her berating of Irisa was one of my favorite lines of hers.

ChrisJSY
04-16-2013, 12:49 PM
I like them in the TV series, they're extremely sarcastic, have an air of unspoken authority and people just listen to them instead of being the tech-geeks everyone ignores until they need help.

But in the game, the one we actually got to see speak and interact ended up being some sort of automaton-robot-emotionless version.

Applesaws
04-16-2013, 12:51 PM
She's hot hot hot.

Beta582
04-16-2013, 12:52 PM
But in the game, the one we actually got to see speak and interact ended up being some sort of automaton-robot-emotionless version.

Unfortunately this is true... I kind of wanted to see more personality in her character.

Blackwolfe
04-16-2013, 01:00 PM
I liked the character in general except for one thing, her voice. She sounds like she has seriously swollen lips (no not those lips, you have a dirty mind, shoo!) or something.

Snowranger19
04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
I liked her line about being paid.

dalendria
04-16-2013, 01:14 PM
If you keep posting threads, we all go Boom. :)

She needs to become a main character and get at least one episode focused on her.

Beta582
04-16-2013, 01:15 PM
If you keep posting threads, we all go Boom. :)

She needs to become a main character and get at least one episode focused on her.

Only one???

Charon
04-16-2013, 01:16 PM
I don't like how aliens are represented at all, but the character of the doc is awesome. I think she'd be awesome in ANY human-only TV show, too.

Sdric
04-16-2013, 01:20 PM
I totally agree, she is awesome!
She has a little bit of the mad scientist and another bit of the typical "I'm surrounded by idiots"-genius mixed up with a "whatever" -attitude.

Snowranger19
04-16-2013, 01:21 PM
But she is a cyborg so that superiority is a given.

I totally agree, she is awesome!
She has a little bit of the mad scientist and another bit of the typical "I'm surrounded by idiots"-genius.

Tetsabou
04-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Yeah the doctor is awesome. I hope the do more with that charecter as the show goes on.

Kitten Mittons
04-16-2013, 01:23 PM
I like them in the TV series, they're extremely sarcastic, have an air of unspoken authority and people just listen to them instead of being the tech-geeks everyone ignores until they need help.

In all fairness, it's too early to say. We only have one indogene in the game thus far, after all. That isn't necessarily a reflection on the game vs. show's portrayal of a race so much as a difference between individuals. I would actually much prefer if we get some variety in how they're portrayed. People generally have a pretty negative view towards stereotyping these days, but when it comes to fantasy and sci-fi races, we're all more than willing to accept "everyone from this race is like this" as a normal way of thinking.

Derity
04-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Yeah she was great, Irisa is my favourite though.

hardy83
04-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Both the Indogene characters in the show threw me off. The one in the game. Evas partner, made me believe that the race was more neutral or like "Data" from Star Trek in how they speak and deal with situations.

I don't know if it was poor writing or if it was just how they wanted the games character to be, but it threw me off regardless.

Blackwolfe
04-16-2013, 01:26 PM
In all fairness, it's too early to say. We only have one indogene in the game thus far, after all. That isn't necessarily a reflection on the game vs. show's portrayal of a race so much as a difference between individuals. I would actually much prefer if we get some variety in how they're portrayed. People generally have a pretty negative view towards stereotyping these days, but when it comes to fantasy and sci-fi races, we're all more than willing to accept "everyone from this race is like this" as a normal way of thinking.

Indogenes in general are said to see themselves as superior to other races, and so do the castithians. However, life on earth might have changed some of them.

K A S H I H A R A D
She's hot hot hot.

You ain't never lie. Mmm @ that bald head. I'd rub more than just that for good luck.

Only one???

One is more than enough. We don't want the rest of the cast to be jelly.

Snowranger19
I like the one in the game better too. It was what I was expecting in the show, but apparently they are not all the same.

Both the Indogene characters in the show threw me off. The one in the game. Evas partner, made me believe that the race was more neutral or like "Data" from Star Trek in how they speak and deal with situations.

I don't know if it was poor writing or if it was just how they wanted the games character to be, but it threw me off regardless.

Shogo_Yahagi
04-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Dammit, Jim. She's a doctor, not an actor.

NeoMorph
04-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Who's the actress that plays her?

Edit: Found her.... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2276274/?ref_=tt_cl_t5

FlamingNinja007
04-16-2013, 01:30 PM
But the voice kills me for some reason.

Snowranger19
04-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Someone that tried out for Irisa and didn't get it.

Random
04-16-2013, 01:31 PM

That is a human tribal response.
It has nothing to do with stereotypes.

When we don't understand something completely we turn the things we don't understand into "Them" and all of "Them" "Do the same thing" because our experience is so limited.

Sci-fi isn't written with psycho-analysts directing the plot. It's written by "normal" people generally. People whom don't realize this tribal characteristic being played into their fiction.

So basically that is why any stereotype exists. Lack of understanding. If the creatures written have a pre-canon background that is diverse you almost always lose that "all the same". See>Farscape.

hardy83
04-16-2013, 01:31 PM

Any person that has been on Corner Gas is good in my books!

Kitten Mittons
04-16-2013, 01:32 PM
At first I was thinking that she talked weird because of the makeup and such. She seems to have trouble moving her mouth... But the Mayor's assistant guy didn't seem to have a problem with it. I guess it's just how she talks.

K A S H I H A R A D
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Niiiiccceee.

AgentMytho
04-16-2013, 01:39 PM
I was really suprised when she called Irisa a *****, seem a little unprofessional. Although she probably isn't used to surprises.

Sargonnax
04-16-2013, 01:42 PM
I liked the character in general except for one thing, her voice. She sounds like she has seriously swollen lips (no not those lips, you have a dirty mind, shoo!) or something.

I was thinking something similar. I like the character and the sarcasm, but it feels forced as if its horribly difficult to do the lines seriously in all that makeup.

Kitten Mittons
04-16-2013, 01:43 PM
That is a human tribal response.
It has nothing to do with stereotypes.

When we don't understand something completely we turn the things we don't understand into "Them" and all of "Them" "Do the same thing" because our experience is so limited.

Sci-fi isn't written with psycho-analysts directing the plot. It's written by "normal" people generally. People whom don't realize this tribal characteristic being played into their fiction.

So basically that is why any stereotype exists. Lack of understanding. If the creatures written have a pre-canon background that is diverse you almost always lose that "all the same". See>Farscape.

I was referring to racial stereotypes that people create for each other, which are the RESULT of said tribal mentality. I'm sure in-universe the different races have their own stereotypes for each other. In any case, I'm not against some shared cultural traits; it makes sense that some would develop due to a shared background. A large canon background is not always a guarantee against lame generalizations, though. Just look at how thick Mass Effect's codex is, but most of the aliens you encounter are nothing but a composite of their most distinct racial differences to "the norm".