PDA

View Full Version : PC refund. Is it possible?

ELCID
04-16-2013, 12:47 PM
I've been trying to get through to customer service for awhile now. I had terrible experience launch day trying to talk to them and don't feel like spinning my wheels again. Has anyone been able to get a refund?

ironhands
04-16-2013, 12:48 PM
not if the code's been redeemed, you'd need to deal directly with who you purchased it from, if you didn't purchase from trion

ELCID
04-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Bought it from gamestop...not happening

Kublakhan
04-16-2013, 12:52 PM
launch day...you know what kind of hell their office was on launch day??

GarfrostPAX
04-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Considering this is an MMO, I only have this post filled with (a major lack of) sympathy for you today.

I had terrible experience launch day
Welcome to the world that is online gaming.

anastasia
04-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Bought it from gamestop...not happening

If you have a legitimate grievance and paid by credit card, contact them if you have exhausted trying to deal with Gamestop (actually made the effort). I'm not sure why you want a refund, and you don't have to tell me since it's none of my business but if you have a legitimate reason I hope it works out for you.

ELCID
04-16-2013, 12:57 PM
I don't care about excuses. I've seen a lot of MMO launch days. This one was by far the worse but we're past that. What bothers me is the fact that I went out and bought the game disc and STILL had to download about 12 gigs of SHtuff launch day. It took about 13-14hrs. Unacceptable. Fast forward 2 weeks and now for a "patch" I'm looking at a 7-8hr download time for about 4 gigs. Their patcher sucks. Plain and simple. The fact they haven't addressed this issue or explain the reason for such a huge patch is even worse. I'm done with game. I paid for the digital upgrade and have lost quite a bit of time, as have others, due to constant bugs/patches/downtime/ etc... I just want my money back. I'll even take some comp Rift sub time I honestly don't care at this point.

GarfrostPAX
04-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Because god forbid they fix the issues mentioned earlier in your post right? right?

Seriously though, 13-14 hours? I had the entire client down in about an hour. Today's patch? 5 minutes. It's probably more than just their patcher, while it has its share of troubles it isn't nearly as bad as some people claim. I asked for a bunch of traceroutes of people, guess what.. a 5 second delay between a few routers. Well that'd do it.

And seen many launches? One of the worst? Oh lord, don't get me started on that one.

dirtyklingon
04-16-2013, 12:58 PM
if you've seen alot of mmo launches then you should know physical media is useless for them as a rule.

Defy
04-16-2013, 12:59 PM
if you used the code than I dont think you can get a refund, you can try gamestop its up to them since thats where you bought it from, anyway what problems are you having maybe they can be solved

Calranthe
04-16-2013, 01:01 PM
I don't care about excuses. I've seen a lot of MMO launch days. This one was by far the worse but we're past that. What bothers me is the fact that I went out and bought the game disc and STILL had to download about 12 gigs of SHtuff launch day. It took about 13-14hrs. Unacceptable. Fast forward 2 weeks and now for a "patch" I'm looking at a 7-8hr download time for about 4 gigs. Their patcher sucks. Plain and simple. The fact they haven't addressed this issue or explain the reason for such a huge patch is even worse. I'm done with game. I paid for the digital upgrade and have lost quite a bit of time, as have others, due to constant bugs/patches/downtime/ etc... I just want my money back. I'll even take some comp Rift sub time I honestly don't care at this point.

Hmm I bought it on steam but went to trions website two days before launch to grab the downloader, took me 2-3 hours to download, this patch only took 50 minutes to download, kind of wierd that you are having these issues.

Yenkin
04-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Wow, I downloaded the client in less than 90 minutes and I thought that the rollout was pretty smooth, I have had no lag issues, nor issue playing. Since I basically only solo at this point, whether chat gets fixed on not is not that important. I do have other issues with the game, more along the lines of if this is a First person Shoot MMO it is missing some elements that would make life easier. But as for some game play, the one annoying bug and I hope it gets fixed is my disappearing ammo.

TheBigFish
04-16-2013, 01:03 PM

Do you have throttled internet or dial up? 13-14 hours my god, it took me 30 minutes at launch, and this patch today was 45 minutes and i don't have remarkable download speeds either. Seems likes its more on your end then Trion's.

ELCID
04-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Because god forbid they fix the issues mentioned earlier in your post right? right?

Seriously though, 13-14 hours? I had the entire client down in about an hour. Today's patch? 5 minutes. It's probably more than just their patcher, while it has its share of troubles it isn't nearly as bad as some people claim. I asked for a bunch of traceroutes of people, guess what.. a 5 second delay between a few routers. Well that'd do it.

And seen many launches? One of the worst? Oh lord, don't get me started on that one.

Did you preorder or download from Steam? Maybe that's why it was an hour. But those of us who purchased the game launch day had a much different experience while trying to download the game during launch day. Use the search tool for the forums if you don't believe me. Tons of posts regarding the issue. I've done the whole port forwarding crap, etc... it's not my connection, it's not a client issue, it's a server issue. My internet is really good and that's what frustrates me about the whole situation.

ironhands

took me 3 days to get farcry3, and 3 separate download attempts until i had to manually repair the archives myself.
Defiance took me 2 hours, no problems.
if you're having slow download speeds, there are plenty of threads addressing the issue and possible solutions to correct the issues that may exist on your computer or connectivity with their servers.

GarfrostPAX
Wow, I downloaded the client in less than 90 minutes and I thought that the rollout was pretty smooth, I have had no lag issues, nor issue playing. Since I basically only solo at this point, whether chat gets fixed on not is not that important. I do have other issues with the game, more along the lines of if this is a First person Shoot MMO it is missing some elements that would make life easier. But as for some game play, the one annoying bug and I hope it gets fixed is my disappearing ammo.
I swear, reading this in almost every post makes me want to strangle somebody, especially when they write it in full and STILL don't realize how stupid it sounds.

Spirithunter1970
04-16-2013, 01:07 PM

15 minutes to download the patch you seriously need a new isp or something dont blame there patcher

anastasia
04-16-2013, 01:08 PM
I feel for your frustration, I really do, BUT I don't think you can blame Trion for your download speeds. Today's patch took about 18 min for me to download and the full version was maybe an hour or so. Now I realize I may have a faster connection or whatever and as I said I feel badly that you're so upset, but even with today's extended downtime this has been a very smooth launch IMHO.

Now, if you just said "I hate the game, I'm sorry I bought it and I want my money back" that would probably make more sense and might even gain you some traction with getting a refund since no business really wants unhappy customers. If you're only issue is that your system has download challenges and there was a modicum of downtime within the first 2 weeks of launch, I don't think that's going to be very motivating.

regardless, I hope there's some resolution that brings you some peace!

ironhands
04-16-2013, 01:09 PM
I've done the whole port forwarding crap, etc... it's not my connection, it's not a client issue, it's a server issue. My internet is really good and that's what frustrates me about the whole situation.

If it were a server issue, we'd ALL be having it. That's great that your internet is good, but when you connect to Trions servers, you aren't connecting directly to them, there are many other networks your data travels through, and if any of them are having issues or are misconfigured and unable to support the high MTU threshold the patcher expects, you will experience a corrupted download or slow transfer rates as it will constantly be trying to correct itself. I've experienced the problem with many other games. The problem isn't on either of your ends, it's the middleman, though it can be compensated for on either side to some degree. Have you adjusted your MTU threshold down locally?

GarfrostPAX
04-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Did you preorder or download from Steam? Maybe that's why it was an hour. But those of us who purchased the game launch day had a much different experience while trying to download the game during launch day. Use the search tool for the forums if you don't believe me. Tons of posts regarding the issue. I've done the whole port forwarding crap, etc... it's not my connection, it's not a client issue, it's a server issue. My internet is really good and that's what frustrates me about the whole situation.
Apologies, I didn't see this. Anyway, I did order it through Steam. HOWEVER, even now my download is from the official Trion website. I had it downloaded beforehand. (Also, note that Steam has the exact same launcher anyone else has). And I have seen several people report the issue, but in most cases I could point it down to "Your network is ****, should change your damn routing table".

ELCID
04-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Back to the original question. Has anyone been able to get a refund for the PC version? Yes or no will suffice. Thanks.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Back to the original question. Has anyone been able to get a refund for the PC version? Yes or no will suffice. Thanks.

Not from Gamestop, and Trion won't refund you if you gave Gamestop your money.

CowboyHatValor
04-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Chances of a refund are extremely unlikely without a real grievance. It's been purchased, played, and "I didn't like the experience" doesn't work outside of a mom-and-pop sandwich shop.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be an ******* to clarify, this is just a more realistic expectation.

ELCID
04-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Ya I figured =\ It was worth a shot. Thanks guys. Saved me some time with customer support. Enjoy the game.

iKoN
04-16-2013, 01:22 PM
For a mmo launch it was very well done wow was a train wreck at release for those who remember that...these guys care ten times more than blizzard ever did

steven4537
04-16-2013, 01:23 PM
This launch was worst than diablo 3 by blizzard. It took them 5 years to make this Defiance game? Give me a break. This major patch should of been broken up into smaller ones over a course of a few days, instead of pushing it back weeks after launch.

Tayce
04-16-2013, 01:23 PM
15 minutes to download the patch you seriously need a new isp or something dont blame there patcher

Same here. Patcher must be bad for ppl with bad isp.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 01:27 PM

nah, it's bad switches between the ISP and trion

Daeion
04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
This launch was worst than diablo 3 by blizzard.

Because D3 was awesome. Oh... Wait... It was completely crappy and had a bunch of queues and server errors/downtimes. Also, D3 isn't an MMO and the gameplay sucked untill they put out a patch about half a year later and even then it wasn't all that great unless you liked spending money on their fantastic real money auction house.

Maybe, I don't know, get a clue about what you are talking about? Probably a hard task for someone that praises Diablo 3's launch.

Go back to D3. Enjoy those smaller patches instead of patches that actually make a difference. While you are at it, be sure to kiss Jay Wilson's *** and tell him you'll be his b**** forever.

Taskman
04-16-2013, 01:32 PM

At least it is something that makes it really bad for some people. Sure the load is probably a lot less now but I just got home and got the whole patch downloaded in about 6 minutes with the speed showing about 85Mbps through the whole download.
Sure it was another 5 mins or so to patch it but on the whole I consider that really good.

Even if you buy the game you will have to patch it and be glad it was quite a big one on release because that just means it was a lot that was fixed between game going gold and the actual release.
This MMO is from my pov one of the better ones. Had no problems to login on release day apart from it taking a bit longer.

Most MMO's you are not able to even play untill several hours after release due to server problems or login problems..
You often end up in a queue as well on launch day where it could be several hundreds before you.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 01:35 PM
You've already paid for the game, if you're not happy with the state currently, come back in a few weeks and give it a second look, it's not like you're wasting subscription time.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Even if you buy the game you will have to patch it and be glad it was quite a big one on release because that just means it was a lot that was fixed between game going gold and the actual release.

No, it was actually just an inefficient patcher downloading an entire file, instead of just updating the changes.

iHOLLOWFIED
04-16-2013, 01:38 PM
I love this game, no subscriptions, the community is so nice and social, what don't you like about this game?

aprisma
04-16-2013, 01:43 PM
If you read the rules for using that software there is normalyl something like if you open it - its over.
No shop will refund a already open softwarecase due to copyright law.
And beside that .... there is no reason for refund. The game runs lagfree, only a very few bugs and ok today they DO have some problems but they are working hard on it.
cheers,

RNW
04-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Omg, i just cant stand the "gimme refund" people during the early stages of MMO launches. Get over it, and wait a little bit damnit. If you can do all this better, go make your own company and become a millionaire, but in the meantime, save us the space of another QQ thread

Sargonnax
04-16-2013, 01:51 PM

I downloaded the entire game on PC with a normal cable internet connection and never had an issue and did it in less than an hour. This doesn't look like Trions fault as much as your own internet or computer.

ELCID
04-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Omg, i just cant stand the "gimme refund" people during the early stages of MMO launches. Get over it, and wait a little bit damnit. If you can do all this better, go make your own company and become a millionaire, but in the meantime, save us the space of another QQ thread

I'm not enjoying the game. That is my personal opinion from experience. Forgive me for forming my own thoughts and ideas regarding a product which I worked for and purchased. ****ing sheeple man.

ironhands
04-16-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm not enjoying the game. That is my personal opinion from experience. Forgive me for forming my own thoughts and ideas regarding a product which I worked for and purchased. ****ing sheeple man.

You're welcome to your own opinion, and we should respect that, but not enjoying the game doesn't really entitle a person to a refund, unfortunately. All I can really recommend, is give it another shot in a few weeks, or even a few months, you may like it better seeing it with fresh eyes.

iHOLLOWFIED
04-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Someone explain to me why this game is so bad in his eyes, I love this game, in my opinion its my dream MMO.

Aspect
04-16-2013, 02:08 PM

Pacifiers and numnum blankies help sometimes too

ironhands
04-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Someone explain to me why this game is so bad in his eyes, I love this game, in my opinion its my dream MMO.

He had really bad launch experiences and it's soured his view of the game, it's understandable. I've been really soured on a few games for install issues over the years, not enough to demand a refund or anything, but enough to not play them for a while.

Only game I've been so ticked off over that I stopped playing, was Dragon Age 2.. Was really excited for it, but after maybe 4-5 hours, I finally started to notice I was going through the same level over and over, just from different entrances, it was nothing like what I'd experienced with DA:O. Game was clearly designed using shortcut methods. Bugs, I can deal with. Install issues, I can deal with, but this was a clear issue of "get it out the door".

Some may say that that the bugs, or feel that there is not enough content, also suggests "get it out the door", for the release of Defiance, but there is a notable difference - being an MMO, we are promised constant stream of bug fixes and new content.

For some, this isn't enough, and while I disagree, they have every right to their opinion, but I do hope the choose to revisit the game in the coming months, and hopefully years. A year from now, there could be an additional week or two worth of content, and it won't have cost you another $60 to play.

cjhaus123
04-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Honestly to OP, If your a PC gamer, you have no place in a Game stop... ever... they're horrible, Always pay for games online.. I have had better luck with online retailers then Game stop, they gave up on selling PC games a long time ago, and they're customer service reps are 16 year old punks that don't give two ****s.

dirtyklingon
04-17-2013, 07:09 AM
only game i've ever saought a refund for was gw2, because of the ascended patch, which was de facto classic bait and switch, since they utterly failed to attempt to live up to certain core advertising premises.

it's not that it's a bad game either.

i've learned alot about what's going on over there at anet since, and it makes more sense now. but utlimately i feel i was justified in seeking a refund for the game cost and MTs i purchased.

i have mixed feelings about it in retrospect. i like to hold on to my toons, and i was rather happy with the ones i had, from names to gear to outfits. i did buy the game again later on, but i regret that because ultimately the things that convinced me to rebuy were also fabrications and it was like "fool me twice"

anyways i can understand why someone would want a refund if they have been hit by the worst game breaking problems this game has had, and still has for many people.

that's why it's so obnoxious when people come into these threads, and on gaming site articles, adn start running their mouths about how perfect the launch has gone, and how communicative trion has been, and how even though trion is outlining major issues, those issues don't really exist and people confirming them are liars who are just trolling.

i do realize that some of those comments are viral marketting of some sort or another. either ex industry workers trying to get another job on the inside, or paid viral marketting teams.

mutharex
04-17-2013, 07:17 AM
if you've seen alot of mmo launches then you should know physical media is useless for them as a rule.

Also, he should know that if he can't cope with this, he shouldn't buy a MMO at launch. But from his hyperbole I gather is he is talking $hit. Or maybe "siv" LOL

tstar420
04-17-2013, 07:42 AM
I don't care about excuses. I've seen a lot of MMO launch days. This one was by far the worse

Everyone says that lol every launch day and yet trion's communication has been impeccable so I dont see it as a bad launch at all. Try SWTOR that had the community fixing patches for them and going a month w/critical errors on the patcher.

Hats off to trion for even talking to us and letting us know whats going on daily thank you and for that I will be sticking with you for a long time!!!!

tstar420
04-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Honestly to OP, If your a PC gamer, you have no place in a Game stop... ever... they're horrible, Always pay for games online.. I have had better luck with online retailers then Game stop, they gave up on selling PC games a long time ago, and they're customer service reps are 16 year old punks that don't give two ****s.

^^ what jim said!

Thorbrand
04-17-2013, 07:51 AM
There is no reason for anyone to get a refund on the game. That game released, plays fine compared to other online games, few bugs unlike what everyone likes to say, is an open world with the features they said would be in the game. Where is the reason for a refund?

I have been here before with getting refunds with games that launch bad but defiance is far from being a game that had a bad launch. Trion delivered to you the product they said they would and you paid for that product opened the product (redeemed the key) and used it for two weeks. Now you want to say I had a bad experience at launch? NO GROUND TO STAND ON HERE!

Wytchfire
04-17-2013, 07:59 AM
This launch was worst than diablo 3 by blizzard. It took them 5 years to make this Defiance game? Give me a break. This major patch should of been broken up into smaller ones over a course of a few days, instead of pushing it back weeks after launch.

Gah nothing was worse then D3 for me. You sure you were in D3 on launch day?

Wesley Cabal
04-17-2013, 08:02 AM
If you are from europe you donŽt need a reason to revoke anything you buy (unless its food or of medical nature), same goes for digital products. BUT its the 17th anyway and launch was the 2nd so, your 14 days for the revoke are over.
Most companies will buckle aginst that anyway but lawfully youŽd win the case if you dare take it on, after the 14 days you can just deal with it.

Airwave
04-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Learn from your experience. Never again buy a game on launch day. Wait a month or 2 check the forums so you know the current state of the game. let the people that can deal with the bumps and hic-ups deal with the launch. Everyone's happy!!

PS if download speed is you main complaint, you may want to test it someplace like speedtest.net then ask for a refund from your ISP!!