PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Show?

SaintRaze
04-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Watching the show on Hulu right now, halfway through the first episode and loving it so far. Has a ton of action and suspense. I can see this being the first show I ever actually get pulled in to.

What is everyone else's opinion?

Cyanide Martyr
04-16-2013, 03:47 PM
I thought it was pretty entertaining. I was weary about the game and the show. Turns out, they are both good pieces of work. What brought me to even try and watch the show was Julie Benz. Because i liked her calm role in Dexter. I wanted to see what she could do with more of a commanding role. Not bad. :)

SaintRaze
04-16-2013, 03:49 PM
I thought it was pretty entertaining. I was weary about the game and the show. Turns out, they are both good pieces of work. What brought me to even try and watch the show was Julie Benz. Because i liked her calm role in Dexter. I wanted to see what she could do with more of a commanding role. Not bad. :)

The show is actually getting my heart going XD Pretty amazing so far, I'm glad it's on Hulu so I can start watching it whenever I'm away from home.

Cyanide Martyr
04-16-2013, 03:51 PM
I know right? I went to Hulu after words to watch a different show. And i was shocked to see it was on there already. Pretty awesome!

SaintRaze
04-16-2013, 04:04 PM
I feel like they coulda made Irisa a bit less of a *****, though. Seems like everytime she talks she ticked about something lol

Ikagawa
04-16-2013, 04:05 PM
It was all right. The "twist" at the end is going to require some really good storytelling to make sense, though. Right now it just seems completely ridiculous and a weak attempt by SyFy to add intrigue.

TheShiningLily
04-16-2013, 04:08 PM
I like the part with the ark visible as it descended from space like a giant red eye. Reminded me of FF9, almost expected a beam of dooooom.

FlamingNinja007
04-16-2013, 04:09 PM
It was all right. The "twist" at the end is going to require some really good storytelling to make sense, though. Right now it just seems completely ridiculous and a weak attempt by SyFy to add intrigue.

I'd like to know a few things. Was that bridge the only access point to the city? If so, I noticed that it was 120 miles away. Does anyone even use that bridge anymore? Blow it up? Idk.

Dirt Nap
04-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Needs more hellbugs.

wlfvenom
04-16-2013, 04:15 PM
I love the game, the game is super awesome fun.

I just wanted to say that before I said...

The pilot of Defiance is generic and boring with a lot of the same cliched characters you see in all these "western" shows such as the ex-military bounty hunter who becomes the local sheriff, his young female companion, the brothel owner with the good heart, the ruthless businessmen whose children are reenacting Romeo and Juliet and the Mayor who does the best they can but they (and the majority of the townfolk) obviously have their doubts. Even the look of the buildings and the clothes they wear is all super generic "western"

There is NOTHING new or interesting here, just the same tired tropes with a fresh coat of paint.

I was really looking forward to this show, I was more interested in the show then the game but after watching the pilot I just found it so incredibly dull

SaintRaze
04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
I love the game, the game is super awesome fun.

I just wanted to say that before I said...

The pilot of Defiance is generic and boring with a lot of the same cliched characters you see in all these "western" shows such as the ex-military bounty hunter who becomes the local sheriff, his young female companion, the brothel owner with the good heart, the ruthless businessmen whose children are reenacting Romeo and Juliet and the Mayor who does the best they can but they (and the majority of the townfolk) obviously have their doubts. Even the look of the buildings and the clothes they wear is all super generic "western"

There is NOTHING new or interesting here, just the same tired tropes with a fresh coat of paint.

I was really looking forward to this show, I was more interested in the show then the game but after watching the pilot I just found it so incredibly dull

Just about any plot has been made up, really can't add many "new" things to it unless the protagonists are secretly antagonists and blow up Earth or something lol

Niurok
04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
It was funny at times and well Irisa is just acting like all Irathi's do /shrug. To have 2 characters get killed however minor they may be right off the bat sucks.

EV76
04-16-2013, 04:24 PM
I enjoyed the show and was pleasantly surprised. I hope they keep the same pace, and thought it was well balanced. I can't wait for the next one. This might be the first show on Sy fi I actually watch the whole season!

StarFire
04-16-2013, 04:25 PM
I liked it, very few shows make we want to watch like defiance, there is plenty of c*** at the moment but defiance is not one of them. I cannot wait and if the game works with the show as they promise I can see a lot of potential and an interesting game in future. Its still early days but if they do keep this up the following could end up like star wars, so I have high hopes and so far it make TV worth watching :)

Technodude
04-16-2013, 04:26 PM
I liked it. Nothing spectacular like BSG but is a good time pass.

Ikagawa
04-16-2013, 04:27 PM
I liked it. Nothing spectacular like BSG but is a good time pass.

BSG was just spectacular on the pilot episode because of Tricial Helfer... ;)

SaintRaze
04-16-2013, 04:27 PM
So, now I'm wondering why the former mayor is getting high and talking about killing everyone in the town to search for something. Any ideas as to what she's looking for to "make the earth a better place" by killing a city?

Hepburn
04-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Overall I was impressed. The CGI was a bit shaky with regards to cars/monsters etc (like early BSG) but the world was believable and I loved the large panorama shots with everyone bustling around. For a pilot it was pretty well done.

It's definitely got a very 'Firefly' quality to it but I think it has enough original content to separate it from other sci-fi 'westerns'. (And let's be clear, sci-fi westerns are by no means a bad thing!) I will agree that some of the characters are a bit cliché but the idea of a pilot is to hook you, I'm sure the more in-depth twists and turns of the show will become clear as the season progresses.

One thing I'm very impressed with is the way the game mimics the show (or visa versa, any idea which was started first?!) The landscapes are great, character models are spot-on and watching the show gives so much more history to the Irathients than the in-game codex. I couldn't decide whether my Irathient toon was sexy or not and after seeing Irisa I still can't decide! lol

I will definitely be watching the next episode and will certainly be loitering at the next Arkfall!

DrNoesis
04-16-2013, 04:44 PM
simply put, the best 2 hrs of my life that I've spent with my clothes on in a long long time.

Lets hope they keep their fingers off the cancel button for a while.

StarFire
04-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Overall I was impressed. The CGI was a bit shaky with regards to cars/monsters etc (like early BSG) but the world was believable and I loved the large panorama shots with everyone bustling around. For a pilot it was pretty well done.

It's definitely got a very 'Firefly' quality to it but I think it has enough original content to separate it from other sci-fi 'westerns'. (And let's be clear, sci-fi westerns are by no means a bad thing!) I will agree that some of the characters are a bit cliché but the idea of a pilot is to hook you, I'm sure the more in-depth twists and turns of the show will become clear as the season progresses.

One thing I'm very impressed with is the way the game mimics the show (or visa versa, any idea which was started first?!) The landscapes are great, character models are spot-on and watching the show gives so much more history to the Irathients than the in-game codex. I couldn't decide whether my Irathient toon was sexy or not and after seeing Irisa I still can't decide! lol

I will definitely be watching the next episode and will certainly be loitering at the next Arkfall!

point defiantly taken :) +50 kudos

Ikagawa
04-16-2013, 04:46 PM
point defiantly taken

No!

/10char

SaintRaze
04-16-2013, 04:56 PM
simply put, the best 2 hrs of my life that I've spent with my clothes on in a long long time.

Lets hope they keep their fingers off the cancel button for a while.

You mean you didn't watch it naked? What's wrong with you.

DrNoesis
04-16-2013, 04:59 PM
You mean you didn't watch it naked? What's wrong with you.

suspect my step daughter would have complained about that tbh :P

SaintRaze
04-16-2013, 05:01 PM

I watched at work naked, I thought that was the only way to watch shows? Figured it was physically impossible otherwise.

Ikagawa
04-16-2013, 05:14 PM

There's a lot of **** based on that scenario...

wlfvenom
04-16-2013, 05:16 PM
I will agree that some of the characters are a bit cliché but the idea of a pilot is to hook you

But that's just it. It didn't hook me. If anything it sprayed repellent in my face and said "SHOO. Go away"

SaintRaze
04-16-2013, 05:19 PM
But that's just it. It didn't hook me. If anything it sprayed repellent in my face and said "SHOO. Go away"

Can't please everyone I guess.

Hooked me, though.

Zenavos
04-16-2013, 05:19 PM
I really liked it. Some of the CGI was a bit iffy.. but hey, what more can ya ask for? I just wish the game was set in and around Defiance.. and not in the bland back yard of San Francisco.

Jack Siwel
04-16-2013, 05:23 PM
So, now I'm wondering why the former mayor is getting high and talking about killing everyone in the town to search for something. Any ideas as to what she's looking for to "make the earth a better place" by killing a city?

Why is she getting high? She's old and her bones hurt. She doesn't think twice about killing the people in that town because she's working toward the greater good and in her mind, whatever she's trying to accomplish is worth a few deaths compared to the whole planet's population. It was some high tech weapon that was buried but miner boy found it. Sounds like a super bomb to me because I picture those things needing a key. Maybe it will "reset" the planet? Maybe kill all of the aliens? Her friend was a human and if it was a multi-race conspiracy at the top then the friend would have been an alien. (shrug) Not able to draw many conclusions but it's fun to speculate.

SaintRaze
04-16-2013, 05:23 PM
I really liked it. Some of the CGI was a bit iffy.. but hey, what more can ya ask for? I just wish the game was set in and around Defiance.. and not in the bland back yard of San Francisco.

Ya, I noticed all of the driving seens looked like they were some Higher Def cutscenes from the game, but hey, can't stat off with an enormous budget for a Pilot.

SaintRaze
04-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Why is she getting high? She's old and her bones hurt. She doesn't think twice about killing the people in that town because she's working toward the greater good and in her mind, whatever she's trying to accomplish is worth a few deaths compared to the whole planet's population. It was some high tech weapon that was buried but miner boy found it. Sounds like a super bomb to me because I picture those things needing a key. Maybe it will "reset" the planet? Maybe kill all of the aliens? Her friend was a human and if it was a multi-race conspiracy at the top then the friend would have been an alien. (shrug) Not able to draw many conclusions but it's fun to speculate.

Seems like, as respected as she is around town, she could have just nicely asked them to move over and let her dig something up? XD

MoFetti
04-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Looks good so far to me.......I want more!

Shinji Ex
04-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Teared up a bit at a certain point which in my book makes it a great TV show :)

KingMike
04-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Team from BSG, gotta be the guys that where kicked from BSG that was working on Defiance Pilot episode. Hope it gets better tbh...

Technodude
04-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Team from BSG, gotta be the guys that where kicked from BSG that was working on Defiance Pilot episode. Hope it gets better tbh...

Kicked from BSG? please elaborate.

KingMike
04-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Kicked from BSG? please elaborate.

There where a couple of animation artist that was canned on season 3 i think it was from BSG.

DrNoesis
04-17-2013, 08:23 AM
incidentally, just to add.... Doc Jawll is probably my hands down favorite character in the show tbh

Ikagawa
04-17-2013, 04:36 PM
incidentally, just to add.... Doc Jawll is probably my hands down favorite character in the show tbh

You should look her up on IMDB. It's pretty jarring seeing how pretty she is without the Indogene makeup.

ironhands
04-17-2013, 04:38 PM
wasn't enough content, all of the episodes should have been on instead of just one. coldfire guns are OP

thoma683
04-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Thought pilot was cheesy and generic. Game is better buying I think the game coul
d be improved on.

Opus
04-17-2013, 04:59 PM

I second this.

Which is surprising, because I got into both the show and the game because of Jaime Murray. Who was good, don't get me wrong. But it was embarrassing how giddy I was when Doc Yewll would show up in a scene. Pretty sure I'd be willing to have her children.

Hepburn
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
As with all things in life, it's 50/50 in the love/hate department and that's to be expected. (If you give a bunch of people a gold bar for free, half of them will complain it's heavy...)

But speaking as someone who is currently enjoying the game, I thought the pilot did a lot of stuff well. The game isn't perfect and neither is the show, but it has awesome potential. And for this gamer, potential is enough for me to stay tuned and see what happens. I just hope the community gives it a chance and the developers maintain their passion.

Fingers crossed...

SaintRaze
04-17-2013, 06:00 PM
I second this.

Which is surprising, because I got into both the show and the game because of Jaime Murray. Who was good, don't get me wrong. But it was embarrassing how giddy I was when Doc Yewll would show up in a scene. Pretty sure I'd be willing to have her children.

Ya, she's my favorite so far too just because of her sarcasm and being a smartass lol

Wraieth
04-17-2013, 06:10 PM
I liked it, very few shows make we want to watch like defiance, there is plenty of c*** at the moment but defiance is not one of them. I cannot wait and if the game works with the show as they promise I can see a lot of potential and an interesting game in future. Its still early days but if they do keep this up the following could end up like star wars, so I have high hopes and so far it make TV worth watching :)

Dont think it will ever reach SW legacy but may very well be the most watched syfy show since stargate or farscape

Wraieth
04-17-2013, 06:11 PM
i have a sneaky feeling the game will end up in defiance eventualy

SaintRaze
04-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Dont think it will ever reach SW legacy but may very well be the most watched syfy show since stargate or farscape

I think it can be bigger. If they get good show ratings plus pitch in money from the games profits they can up their budget and make the CGI/sets even better.

Wraieth
04-17-2013, 06:14 PM
I think it can be bigger. If they get good show ratings plus pitch in money from the games profits they can up their budget and make the CGI/sets even better.

Dont get me wrong its a great show but it dosnt have the mass apeal that SW had and still has to this day. But yea it could be a huge show no doubt.

Rasczak
04-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Watching the show on Hulu right now, halfway through the first episode and loving it so far. Has a ton of action and suspense. I can see this being the first show I ever actually get pulled in to.

What is everyone else's opinion?

I really liked it. I didn't expect in-depth character development in a premier episode, as such things in the television format take time. Typically each episode is filmed in about 6-8 days, and actors might not see more than 3-4 episode scripts at a time (and sometimes less). Unlike in a film, where they know how and where the character is going from beginning to end, from the jump.

So, I thought they did a good job. I liked Nolan and Irisa, and found myself interested in the politics taking place within the Defiance settlement. I thought they did a good job of setting up the season.

SaintRaze
04-17-2013, 06:17 PM
I really liked it. I didn't expect in-depth character development in a premier episode, as such things in the television format take time. Typically each episode is filmed in about 6-8 days, and actors might not see more than 3-4 episode scripts at a time (and sometimes less). Unlike in a film, where they know how and where the character is going from beginning to end, from the jump.

So, I thought they did a good job. I liked Nolan and Irisa, and found myself interested in the politics taking place within the Defiance settlement. I thought they did a good job of setting up the season.

You must be reading my mind lol
I wish I could fast-forward to next week and watch the episode already.

Rasczak
04-17-2013, 06:20 PM
I also want to add, as a response to previous posts, that nothing, and I mean nothing, will likely ever achieve the far reaching appeal of Star Wars. When Star Wars debuted in 1977, it was the right time and place for it. From the film itself, and what it achieved in '77, to the toys and merchandising: Star Wars laid the ground work for that sort of cash grab that we assume as normal today. It wasn't done to such a high degree before the success of Lucas and company.

Repeating the Star Wars franchise's success is extremely unlikely for damn near any sci-fi.

SaintRaze
04-17-2013, 06:21 PM
I also want to add, as a response to previous posts, that nothing, and I mean nothing, will likely ever achieve the far reaching appeal of Star Wars. When Star Wars debuted in 1977, it was the right time and place for it. From the film itself, and what it achieved in '77, to the toys and merchandising: Star Wars laid the ground work for that sort of cash grab that we assume as normal today. It wasn't done to such a high degree before the success of Lucas and company.

Repeating the Star Wars franchise's success is extremely unlikely for damn near any sci-fi.

I didn't mean better than SW XD I meant all the other big SciFi shows.

I agree that Star Wars can not and will not ever be pushed to second, rofl.

NarcoticDragoon
04-17-2013, 06:22 PM
I actually liked it more than the game.
I enjoyed the lively, active, excited feel of the town and world of the show. The game sorely lacks this, given that everything feels pretty static.

NeoDraven
04-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Has some room to improve, my roomate just shouted "probably won't see a second season" but who knows look at Sanctuary how popular that was for 6 seasons but hope it lasts just as long if not more it's my replacement for Sanctuary being cancelled.

SaintRaze
04-17-2013, 06:24 PM
I actually liked it more than the game.
I enjoyed the lively, active, excited feel of the town and world of the show. The game sorely lacks this, given that everything feels pretty static.

What really got me about the show is that it jumped straight into the action and kept the excitement going. When I saw the first 2min of the car ride I was fully prepared for a boring 30min intro to the characters/world. They surprised me and made me happy about the beginning.

Badblade
04-17-2013, 06:27 PM
I was worried it would be a 2 or 3 out of 5... but I really enjoyed it. I'd give it a 3.5 or 4 out of 5

Ikagawa
04-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Has some room to improve, my roomate just shouted "probably won't see a second season" but who knows look at Sanctuary how popular that was for 6 seasons but hope it lasts just as long if not more it's my replacement for Sanctuary being cancelled.

Nothing can replace Amanda Tapping...Buuuuuut, I think Mia Kirshner is a good try ;)

Also, I don't know why she isn't listed on the Defiance IMDB cast list. It's odd.

NarcoticDragoon
04-17-2013, 06:29 PM
I was a bit worried too, but they managed to keep it moving the whole two hours. It was very interesting, excited to see if it keeps it up in the coming episode :)