PDA

View Full Version : TRION Review what MMO Chat Systems are supposed to be AND PTT The Frackin VOICE Chat

Dui
04-16-2013, 07:26 PM
There are plenty of examples out in the real world of MMO Gaming

WoW
Guild Wars 2
The Secret World
LoTR
EVE

oh and one you should know by now

RIFT

Go out there and get us something like these...this crap you are trying to pass off as a chat system is ..well still Fracking useless Schtako...Its an arksphere that's burnt out..

Your fan base has been Telling you they need it since ALPHA FRACKIN LISTEN you morons
------------------------------------------------
Where's the PUSH to talk Options I am tired of hearing the moronic 12 year olds breathing heavy into an open mic that you insist I have

AND What the FRACK is this Voice Chat being on when I set my settings to OFF why are you persisting in changing my settings

Zuul
04-16-2013, 07:42 PM
A proper chat system is a staple feature of any MMO, be it MMOFPS (Planetside 2), MMORPG (WoW, RIFT, GW2, etc), or MMOTPS (Firefall). But I knew upon purchase what I was getting, having experienced this horrendous chat system in the last beta. I was flabbergasted at the state it was in during the beta, but I had had faith in Trion and kept up hope that they'd look into it.

Hopefully it's still something they're looking into. At this point I don't care if we get a full featured chat system. I'd be ecstatic with a simple addition of just zone chat (what Area chat SHOULD have been) such as Madera chat, Mount Tam, etc.

BrassRazoo
04-16-2013, 09:11 PM
I also want to see zone chat for text.
Talking to the afk people at the fast travel spot is just not doing it for me.
Why can we just resize our own chat window?
I just want a little box in one of the bottom corners which I can set to the channel I want to read. Also, creating custom tabs would be good so I could have group and zone appearing etc.

I have not played many MMOs and I just assumed a decent chat / message system was default in these types of games.
Obviously I was way off.

Munx
04-16-2013, 09:27 PM
the horrible chat on pc is my main issue with the game, and it is actually a quite big one.. This is a mmo, and being able to text-chat in it is kind of a must.. I really don't know who at trion thought it would be a good idea to make the text char subpar, and focus on voice chat..

Gamers are not ready for forced voice chat yet, and im not sure they ever will be, I sure as hell am not.. I still got nightmares about the "good" old days in xbox live.

Saraya
04-17-2013, 09:04 AM
As explained umpteen times to you people, the lack of a zone wide chanel has no bearing on the broken aspects of the text or voice communications.
With the recent patch, most of the bugs relating to text or voice have been addressed.

Additionally the game doesn't need a zone wide channel. It serves no purpose to advance the game play/content, and no one has yet to provide the developers an actual proposal that says otherwise.

Meanwhile anything you need to do in-game, has a system to support it:

-PVE instance = matchmaking
-PVP instance = matchmaking
-Working chat window, with option to expand to large window
-Multiple chat channels for relevant activities e.g. area, group, clan etc.
-Player search via text input i.e. name, account name etc.
-Player search via proximiy check a.k.a. 'area'

Accomodating the need for social rejects to loiter and spam Your Mom jokes, is not a Trion priority.
If you want to BS, go find a public Team Speak server - there's already several for Defiance.

ChrisJSY
04-17-2013, 09:07 AM
With the recent patch, most of the bugs relating to text or voice have been addressed.

Uhhhh.... no, it has not.

ironhands
04-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Uhhhh.... no, it has not.

What chat bugs still exists? I haven't encountered any

Saraya is saying that the issues most are complaining about aren't bugs, they're issues with the design of the system, or the expectations of the system.

Taaltos
04-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Make sure your chat settings are right.

Also, type /help to see all the chat options.

Chat seems to be working just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkj_ySfyqV0

Misto29
04-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Gamers are not ready for forced voice chat yet, and im not sure they ever will be, I sure as hell am not.. I still got nightmares about the "good" old days in xbox live.

When I am out and about the last thing I want to do is stop and type in a chat window. So for me personally, I love a good voice chat system. Local area chat, clan chat, and even a TS of some sort. And yes Trion does need to improve on what they have and until they do, I will just use my TS and speak with my clan through it. Other then that I like this game.

tstar420
04-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Additionally the game doesn't need a zone wide channel. It serves no purpose to advance the game play/content, and no one has yet to provide the developers an actual proposal that says otherwise..

LOL that is funny... As a PC MMO global and map chat are a MUST!!!. MMO automatically makes it social and yet no social interaction has yet to come into my direction w/the exception of a guild invite spam or 100 thats it. The fact the the ENTIRE PC community wants a new chat system should make trion want to make one. I play for an hour a day now and its only been what 2 weeks? lol its just an console game on PC and I am currently pursuing different games, Im giving trion 1 month to figure this out but the constant redundancy and the boredom this game provides is starting to make me wanna leave....

ironhands
04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
LOL that is funny... As a PC MMO global and map chat are a MUST!!!.

The fact the the ENTIRE PC community wants a new chat system should make trion want to make one.

I'm on PC. I don't want a new chat system. First thing I do is shut off global and area chat in an MMO, they're annoying as all hell.

Shurengyla
04-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Make sure your chat settings are right.

Also, type /help to see all the chat options. I tried /help but I did not see specific chat options as of the latest patch. I saw ways to send a private message or tell, ways to send area messages, and so on. However, I did go in and change all the Voice options to off, so mute was off, then on to make sure Mute was back on.

Blak
04-17-2013, 10:33 AM
When I am out and about the last thing I want to do is stop and type in a chat window. So for me personally, I love a good voice chat system. Local area chat, clan chat, and even a TS of some sort. And yes Trion does need to improve on what they have and until they do, I will just use my TS and speak with my clan through it. Other then that I like this game.

The point you just made is honestly how everybody feels.

Most people ... and by most I mean 100% of all people who play PC Games online have some voice chat application installed already.
So the sheer amount of time and money and effort wasted on installing this feature is already pathetic.

The true issue I see is that they at TRION should realize we don't need a voice chat feature, and instead would like a standard functioning MMO Chat system. I don't need to explain what that is because there are about 50+ titles out there already that have done this right.... hell almost every single F2P MMO out there has a better chat system then DEFIANCE.

If you don't want to make a decent chat system for people to find like minded groups, I.E. Datapad hunting group, Dark Matter Farming group.... or whatever type of group you want to build, then at the very least we need Looking For Group feature that I can type a player note stating what I want to do. Then people could use the FIND Feature and search for players that want to participate in a similar task.

ironhands
04-17-2013, 10:53 AM
It's "because consoles". They generally don't have keyboard going, so the design has revolved around that aspect. Us PC players don't necessarily need a voice chat based systems, but the consoles do. If the clients begin to diverge, we'll see this changed.

Shurengyla
04-17-2013, 10:54 AM
For PC Users:

I could be wrong, I have not tested it, and I just don't feel like doing so at the moment. I did test turning off Steam and trying to run Defiance without it and Steam had to start up before I could enter the game. So there is a chance I could be right.

I was looking for screen shots I had taken while playing the game and I noticed I had to go to the folder indicated in my Steam preferences. While I was looking for the folder I noticed there are Voice settings for Steam. I use that feature sometimes for chatting with friends through Steam for Skyrim. So it occurred to me that everyone might be asking for a Push To Talk feature, and it's already there. In fact I'll bet the Voice chat features go through Steam. So for everyone wanting a PTT feature go turn it on in your Steam settings and see if it works.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2013/voicechat.jpg

I would suspect PS3 and Xbox have something different.

ironhands
04-17-2013, 11:00 AM
really don't think it's steam-dependent. I'm sure lots of defiance players don't have steam installed

Zuul
04-17-2013, 11:05 AM
As explained umpteen times to you people, the lack of a zone wide chanel has no bearing on the broken aspects of the text or voice communications.

Additionally the game doesn't need a zone wide channel. It serves no purpose to advance the game play/content, and no one has yet to provide the developers an actual proposal that says otherwise.

-PVE instance = matchmaking
-PVP instance = matchmaking
-Working chat window, with option to expand to large window
-Multiple chat channels for relevant activities e.g. area, group, clan etc.
-Player search via text input i.e. name, account name etc.
-Player search via proximiy check a.k.a. 'area'

Accomodating the need for social rejects to loiter and spam Your Mom jokes, is not a Trion priority.
If you want to BS, go find a public Team Speak server - there's already several for Defiance.

You've listed some of the things that you can do in this game without a staple MMO chat system. But what about things you CAN'T easily do without something like a zone wide chat? How can I find a group for a mission that I'm having difficulties with? How can I ask if anyone needs / wants help with something? When hitting up a major arkfall, and ending up getting to one that has noone there yet... how can I ask which one everyone is congregating too? What if I want help finding datapads?

And then there's the social factor, what you refer to as the thing for "social rejects". Look at the other side of the coin, people LIKE talking to other players. There's TONS of uses for it. What if I want to arrange a zonewide race just for fun? Maybe get everyone together for a corny dance party? You know, normal corny fun things you can do in EVERY OTHER MMO. The lack of any real socializing in this game kills any feeling of it being an MMO.

A simple zone wide chat (Mt Tam chat, Madera Chat, Marin Chat) could add SO much more to this game, give solutions to the situations I described above, and actually give it that MMO feel that it's currently lacking imo

ironhands
04-17-2013, 11:16 AM
A post full of ignorance. You listed the things that you can do without a staple MMO chat system. Tell me, how can I find a group for a mission? How can I ask if anyone needs / wants help with something? When hitting up a major arkfall, and ending up getting to one that has noone there yet... how can I ask which one everyone is congregating too?

There's a queue system for the co-op missions, that's how you find a group. Doesn't the game window point you to the best one when there's a major arkfall in the vicinity automatically, for balancing? I wouldn't want everyone showing up at the same small event and powering through it, nobody would really be able to make a large contribution to the damage output. If the event scales itself to the number of people to compensate for that, it ends up leaving smaller events with few, or nobody at them, potentially failing the major arkfall, right?

Zonewide chat might be an improvement, but, how many people are in the same shard you're in anyway? Calling out for assistance in a spot would only be useful if you're on the same one, otherwise you'd need to group with them and warp to their loc.

Vyshan
04-17-2013, 11:22 AM
He's not talking about co-op. He's talking about stand-alone missions. You can't queue for stand-alone missions.
Also, roleplayers need a functional text chat. They do not roleplay in voice, as it's difficult to be a convincing player when your a female character, yet sound like Barry White.

Additionally, there are people who can read and write in a language, but not speak/understand it very well audibly, or may have very thick accents. Text chat is the ideal route for them.

Blak
04-17-2013, 11:24 AM
really don't think it's steam-dependent. I'm sure lots of defiance players don't have steam installed

I have steam installed but I don't launch the game in STEAM, I downloaded the game from TRION with their downloader.

Zuul
04-17-2013, 11:25 AM
There's a queue system for the co-op missions, that's how you find a group. Doesn't the game window point you to the best one when there's a major arkfall in the vicinity automatically, for balancing? I wouldn't want everyone showing up at the same small event and powering through it, nobody would really be able to make a large contribution to the damage output. If the event scales itself to the number of people to compensate for that, it ends up leaving smaller events with few, or nobody at them, potentially failing the major arkfall, right?

Zonewide chat might be an improvement, but, how many people are in the same shard you're in anyway? Calling out for assistance in a spot would only be useful if you're on the same one, otherwise you'd need to group with them and warp to their loc.

I changed my post up before your reply, felt it came off too rude lol and added some more stuff.

I'm aware of the co-op queue, but I'm not referring to co-op missions. Just the regular story missions in the game. Sure they're not hard, but sometimes it's fun to do things with other players. It's an MMO, yet it seems like I have to go out of my way to play with others people in things other than CO-Op or Arkfalls. I'd love to sign on, open up a zone chat and get a group together to go around doing side missions or hunting events. It's fun doing stuff with other players, it's the reason I play MMOs. Plus I added other things, like asking for help for finding datapads or specific locations, and social things like arranging fun races, random social events, or just simple chatting.

A zone chat just seems like it'd add so much more to this game, as it stands it's just way too "quiet" =(

Blak
04-17-2013, 11:25 AM
He's not talking about co-op. He's talking about stand-alone missions. You can't queue for stand-alone missions.
Also, roleplayers need a functional text chat. They do not roleplay in voice, as it's difficult to be a convincing player when your a female character, yet sound like Barry White.

What if I am into that .....

ironhands
04-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Also, roleplayers need a functional text chat. They do not roleplay in voice, as it's difficult to be a convincing player when your woman sounds like Barry White.

Stand alone missions weren't designed to be cooperative, but they do allow for them to be done cooperatively. You can just sit outside the area for a moment and often someone will come along. Haven't seen a stand-alone mission that couldn't be solo'd yet.

This isn't a role-playing game, but if it were, wouldn't you only be role-playing in local chat anyway, and not across a zone or globally?

ironhands
04-17-2013, 11:31 AM
I changed my post up before your reply, felt it came off too rude lol and added some more stuff.

I'm aware of the co-op queue, but I'm not referring to co-op missions. Just the regular story missions in the game. Sure they're not hard, but sometimes it's fun to do things with other players.

A zone chat just seems like it'd add so much more to this game, as it stands it's just way too "quiet" =(

True, but they weren't designed for group play, they were built around a solo ark-hunter, the cut-scenes wouldn't make sense, since they refer to you as an ark-hunter, not a team of them.

What I could see, is enabling teams once you've completed it solo or something.

Quiet, yes, but zone chat and general chat are often full of the most annoying, obscene, and obnoxious trash imaginable. I can only imagine how bad they'd be, based on the state of the forums. Also, not having those channels reduces lag on the server side of things considerably - which is very important in a shooter environment where every ms is vital.

Vyshan
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
What makes this "not a roleplaying game" ? Cause it doesn't say it is on the box?
That's a bit like telling children that they can't play in front of their house, because the side-walk doesn't have a "It's okay to play here" sign.

The people who think creating a viable textchat interface is a waste of resources are, unfortunately, in the minority. You need only look at the dozens and dozens of "We need a text chat" threads, versus the non-existant "We don't want a text chat" threads.
This issue will not die until it's officially addressed.

ironhands
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
I have steam installed but I don't launch the game in STEAM, I downloaded the game from TRION with their downloader.

exactly. the steam audio options really only apply to games that require steam to function, or, as an add-on utility for those that have no audio component.

creepsley
04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
anyone remember dcuniverse release? kinda reminds me extremely of this one hehe, but that turned out great with a ok chat system eventually so i still have hopes for this one ^^

ironhands
04-17-2013, 11:37 AM
What makes this "not a roleplaying game" ? Cause it doesn't say it is on the box?
That's a bit like telling children that they can't play in front of their house, because the side-walk doesn't have a "It's okay to play here" sign.

The people who think creating a viable textchat interface is a waste of resources are, unfortunately, in the minority. You need only look at the dozens and dozens of "We need a text chat" threads, versus the non-existant "We don't want a text chat" threads.
This issue will not die until it's officially addressed.

You're flipping the logic around. It's not designed to be a role playing game, so they don't include features to facilitate them. It's like telling your kids it's ok to play in the street and then complaining there are cars.

Area or zone chat will increase server lag, there is no debating it, it has nothing to do with "want" or "do not want", or wasting resources. The game is a shooter first, and as such, it needs to prioritize its sever traffic with player and enemy locations and target info.

Vyshan
04-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Area or zone chat will increase server lag, there is no debating it, it has nothing to do with "want" or "do not want", or wasting resources.

In MMOs, chat is seldom tied to the play server. It's on it's own hardware. It's actually an observable difference in a number of games. For example, if you're playing WoW and a zone crashes, you'll notice that you can still communicate during the brief period of time it takes your login session to time-out.

In Vanguard, as another example, you actually see a notification when you first login for the day, indicating that you've been connected to the social server. In SOE games, their chat server is called UChat, which even allows you to textchat people across game servers or even in a completely different game (ie. PlanetSide players can talk/mail to EverQuest players).
Games from Cryptic Studios do this as well (Champions Online and Star Trek Online can communicate with each other).

Text Chat does not affect play server lag.

ironhands
04-17-2013, 11:47 AM
In MMOs, chat is seldom tied to the play server. It's on it's own hardware. It's actually an observable difference in a number of games. For example, if you're playing WoW and a zone crashes, you'll notice that you can still communicate during the brief period of time it takes your login session to time-out.

In Vanguard, as another example, you actually see a notification when you first login for the day, indicating that you've been connected to the social server. In SOE games, their chat server is called UChat, which even allows you to textchat people across game servers or even in a completely different game (ie. PlanetSide players can talk/mail to EverQuest players).

Text Chat does not affect play server lag.

Often, yes, but not always. It's quite likely they didn't put chat on a separate server for this game because it isn't chat or messagebox focused. Why would they go to all the trouble, when the vast majority of the players are on consoles, and a chunk of the PC players don't or won't use it?

Vyshan
04-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Then, your comment about "There's no debating it" is inaccurate.
You have no idea how the infrastructure was created.
That said, it's very likely that it is on its own hardware, due to the multi-server/shard architecture they're using with Defiance.

ironhands
04-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Then, your comment about "There's no debating it" is inaccurate.
You have no idea how the infrastructure was created.
That said, it's very likely that it is on its own hardware, due to the multi-server/shard architecture they're using with Defiance.

Fine, you win at internet due to semantics. However whether the data comes from the same location server, or a secondary server, it still congests the bandwidth with relatively useless data. Terribly sorry I didn't use "client/server lag" instead of just server lag.

You also have no idea how their internal infrastructure was created. It's just as likely that it's not on its own hardware since it's not a massively important feature, since only group and area chat go to people right with you on the same shard.

silvertemplar
04-17-2013, 12:30 PM
True, but they weren't designed for group play, they were built around a solo ark-hunter, the cut-scenes wouldn't make sense, since they refer to you as an ark-hunter, not a team of them.

What I could see, is enabling teams once you've completed it solo or something.

Quiet, yes, but zone chat and general chat are often full of the most annoying, obscene, and obnoxious trash imaginable. I can only imagine how bad they'd be, based on the state of the forums. Also, not having those channels reduces lag on the server side of things considerably - which is very important in a shooter environment where every ms is vital.

Are you serious? You are actually defending the piece of crap system Defiance have? You are clearly mistaking Defiance for a single player game.

I can't even /say to buddies i'm not grouped with, how's that?

You can't even find players to TRADE with. You can't find players to join a CLAN with. You can't do squat in this game if it remotely requires you to ask a question. You can't even ask for HELP, i.e. not knowing how the skills work and whatnot. And don't freaking tell me to come here to search for answers, it's pathetic to require everyone to run to a forum to interact with other players.

I can't believe you are even suggesting that an online game like this is functional without any of this. This is not a lobby based game, this is not Diablo 3 or some coop/single player game .

I'm starting to think you're trolling for the sake of trolling to be honest. There is just no logical reason to not demand a proper text based chat system. Even Battlefield got a better system than this for crying out loud.

ironhands
04-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Are you serious? You are actually defending the piece of crap system Defiance have? You are clearly mistaking Defiance for a single player game.

I can't even /say to buddies i'm not grouped with, how's that?

You can't even find players to TRADE with. You can't find players to join a CLAN with. You can't do squat in this game if it remotely requires you to ask a question. You can't even ask for HELP, i.e. not knowing how the skills work and whatnot. And don't freaking tell me to come here to search for answers, it's pathetic to require everyone to run to a forum to interact with other players.

I can't believe you are even suggesting that an online game like this is functional without any of this. This is not a lobby based game, this is not Diablo 3 or some coop/single player game .

I'm starting to think you're trolling for the sake of trolling to be honest. There is just no logical reason to not demand a proper text based chat system. Even Battlefield got a better system than this for crying out loud.

You quoted me, but did you read it? Did I say anything about a direct tell/say/whisper? I said group/area.

whittefoxx
06-18-2013, 01:03 PM
i was wondering if they could have an option where you can invite someone to party chat like xbox make it easy and simple to just communicate better with your team. typing is kinda time consuming and what if you needed a heal asap but you couldnt type it i think it would be cool if they had party options and there be like 12 party slots available so you could have a small group it would make the PC much better at that point i dont see what would be stopping PC from beating xbox and playstation just my thoughts.

divot2001
06-18-2013, 08:26 PM
My biggest complaint is the text is WAY too small to read and by default its already at its largest size. On top of that dark blue text (clan) on a black background is not easily read.

Arrielle Shaw
06-19-2013, 12:27 AM
I really honestly don't care about chat. I've come to despise MMOs because a large quantity of people just want to ruin your experience while playing them. Like another poster in this thread, I shut off any semblance of global chats because nothing but vitriol tends to get sent over them for the most part. I don't bother chatting in group chat unless it's to say that people shouldn't really run straight into the room at the end of Commandeer Cronkhite, and my clan chat is dead. Facilities for trading things would be nice, but the more solvent currency in Defiance is Ark Salvage. I'm fairly certain that cannot be traded, so I just don't care about making more and more Scrip. Fixing chat should really be secondary to fixing stuck emergencies (whose lack of cleanup does consume resources) and bugged Arkfalls. Chat is just not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Linamaria
06-19-2013, 02:17 AM
Positive side about text chat and its channels (world, area, trade, pvp, clan, group, private, etc):

- can help people to find help for their missions;
- can help people to trade stuff easier;
- can help people to find clans/guilds;
- is an essential tool for who wants to immerse in Roleplaying;
- and for the last, can help people to meet other people and make new friends.

Negative side about text chat:

- kids trolling in public channel;
- annoying people spamming stuff in public channel;

A text chat system with an ignore/mute people option and channel filters (turning on/off option) can deal with trollers and spammers.

In my opinion, a better text chat system would make the general game experience much more enjoyable.

Arrielle Shaw
06-19-2013, 02:41 AM
- can help people to find help for their missions;

If I see someone struggling with a mission, and I'm in the same phase, I drop the stuff attacking them and revive them. Chat is unnecessary to do this.

- can help people to trade stuff easier;

I try to sell stuff after Arkfalls where the highest concentration of people congregate - no one responds.

- can help people to find clans/guilds;

True, but there exist better facilities for this on these forums.

- is an essential tool for who wants to immerse in Roleplaying;

Also true, but I can't say one way or another as I don't go this far with roleplaying.

- and for the last, can help people to meet other people and make new friends.

I've only met one good friend (my best friend) who's stuck with me beyond the game we met in. While good, I don't necessarily use games as a way to try to make friends like this, as they tend to disappear if you stop playing.

Linamaria
06-19-2013, 03:13 AM
If I see someone struggling with a mission, and I'm in the same phase, I drop the stuff attacking them and revive them. Chat is unnecessary to do this.

I try to sell stuff after Arkfalls where the highest concentration of people congregate - no one responds.

True, but there exist better facilities for this on these forums.

Also true, but I can't say one way or another as I don't go this far with roleplaying.

I've only met one good friend (my best friend) who's stuck with me beyond the game we met in. While good, I don't necessarily use games as a way to try to make friends like this, as they tend to disappear if you stop playing.

LOL You really found counters to my all positive points.

Back to subject...

When someone asks for help it doesn't totally mean that someone is suffering to complete a task, maybe someone just want to group up with other people to run things faster (contracts, etc.), just an example of possibilities. :)

About to sell stuff after Arkfalls, I don't recommend that, because is very easy to miss text chat while checking the new items in inventory. Remember: after 3-4 seconds the text just vanishes from our chat window.

The Roleplaying in Defiance is dead or almost non-existent because is almost impossible to roleplay with the current text chat tool. "But roleplayers could use voice tools!"... There are many females toons with real males behind. What would be very awkward to roleplay with these people.

About to meet people and make friends... Well, it is kinda a personal matter I guess. I feel sorry if you didnt have luck in your games. I didnt make lots friends in my games either, but I have a bunch people in my skype from other games that I still keep in touch and sometimes we move together to new games. You should try it! It is fun to play new games with people you already know! :)

I tried to show my point of view about why I think important a good text chat in MMO's (Defiance included). Some people can't agree with me, I respect that. Anyways, does a better text chat imply in to not have other good features as well?

Sinnafae
06-19-2013, 04:20 AM
Adding to this, I would like to see a local area chat and auction channel since there is no auction house.

Strontium Dog
06-19-2013, 04:04 PM
As explained umpteen times to you people (YOU are one of the People unless you are superior in every way to us), the lack of a zone wide chanel has no bearing on the broken aspects of the text or voice communications.

Negative. No chat goes further than 30-40 feet.Try it. Thats not even local chat.its not a chat.its a small whisper behind your hand.Chats borked and needs fixing/replacing

You know this how? EVERY mmo any of us have ever played had a chat system to give us communication to further gameplay,meeting up and/or socialising.Its what we do in MMOs.And its just your opinion it serves no purpose.

-PVE instance = matchmaking - Fails so often its not funny
-PVP instance = matchmaking - People still do this apart from the hackers and cheats?
-Working chat window, with option to expand to large window - Nope 2 or 3 lines isnt a chat window called Large !
-Multiple chat channels for relevant activities e.g. area, group, clan etc. - Nope.Area is 40 odd feet, thats not area. Clan chat...are there any left. Again 3 lines isn't a chat system
-Player search via text input i.e. name, account name etc. - What about by EGO level, sniper, Gunner, Healer etc. Search is more basic than on ZX80
-Player search via proximiy check a.k.a. 'area' - AKA 40 feet away ie I CAN FRIKKIN SEE HIM SO WHY SEARCH!!!

First MMO huh? Yeah guess as much. Clueless as to what we do and have always done in any mmo from Everquest to Eve, from Planetside to Firefall..talking when downtime (player down not server) is what happens. YOU might use chat for mom jokes but most dont. Thanks for punishing most of us based on your standards.

Fixed , sorted and answered.

Strontium Dog
06-19-2013, 04:07 PM
You can see THAT far???

Because the chat system is shtako and we dont see the two lines of chat !!!!!!!

/facepalm
/bangsheadofwall

Mercy Killing
06-19-2013, 04:58 PM
The point you just made is honestly how everybody feels.

Most people ... and by most I mean 100% of all people who play PC Games online have some voice chat application installed already.
So the sheer amount of time and money and effort wasted on installing this feature is already pathetic.

The true issue I see is that they at TRION should realize we don't need a voice chat feature, and instead would like a standard functioning MMO Chat system. I don't need to explain what that is because there are about 50+ titles out there already that have done this right.... hell almost every single F2P MMO out there has a better chat system then DEFIANCE.

If you don't want to make a decent chat system for people to find like minded groups, I.E. Datapad hunting group, Dark Matter Farming group.... or whatever type of group you want to build, then at the very least we need Looking For Group feature that I can type a player note stating what I want to do. Then people could use the FIND Feature and search for players that want to participate in a similar task.

I hate to disagree....okay, no I don't. I play exclusively PC games...and I have no voice chat apps installed. Went out of my way to remove them. I also do not use MSN chat, yahoo, IRC chat....none of it. So you are wrong. Not everyone uses these things.

You want a good example of a near-perfect ingame chat system? City of Heroes had one. It's going to be hard to present examples of it, since its shutdown....but it did have the closest thing to perfect ingame chat, IMHO.

brandileigh
06-19-2013, 05:42 PM
I hate to disagree....okay, no I don't. I play exclusively PC games...and I have no voice chat apps installed. Went out of my way to remove them. I also do not use MSN chat, yahoo, IRC chat....none of it. So you are wrong. Not everyone uses these things.

You want a good example of a near-perfect ingame chat system? City of Heroes had one. It's going to be hard to present examples of it, since its shutdown....but it did have the closest thing to perfect ingame chat, IMHO.

I'm the same, I don't want to use voice chat unless there's really a reason I need to. I shouldn't have to resort to a secondary program to chat in game with someone during my downtime. Right now, I can't see most of what people say if they do say anything because it disappears sooo fast.

But I'm hoping all this discussion is going to be forgotten because they said they were overhauling chat?

Arrielle Shaw
06-20-2013, 07:53 AM
*Snide remarks*

For the first snide remark, I did qualify my statement with, "I'm in the same phase," which implies that yes, I can see that person, I'm in close proximity to them to be able to help them. I pay fairly close attention to my minimap, and when a player's blip blinks out, that means they've been incapped. Secondly, if people are spending time blowing items up or in the menu system in general, chat remains displayed. I send only one line of chat, mentioning that I have legendaries for sale. In my case, I notice when someone sends messages. Perhaps I'm used to noticing the slightest of changes on my UI from my experiences with other MMOs. My apologies for giving other people the benefit of the doubt and thinking they'd be as attentive.

Strontium Dog
06-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Oh we are attentive but sometimes we do have to blink.

Lasse B
06-20-2013, 10:29 AM
I would love a fully fledged chat system. And don't even try to tell me otherwise. I am one of these PC gamers that doesn't have a voice chat software installed. I don't even have a microphone. It might be a surprise for some of you, but after a long day's work listening to the yapping of god knows who feels entitled to tell me his life's story, I don't want to get home, turn on a game and to the same shtako all over again.

Text chat is what's needed. No blabberers there that need individual squelching, no annoying voice trying to tell me what to do next, I can focus on the game and its sounds which increases combat awareness, I'm even free to turn on some music if all I do is minor skirmishes without it leaking into voice chat or being drowned by other players voices. And most of all, text chat messages stay in chat history for some time so you can get back to it after you've dealt with a heated situation.

WhiteCell
06-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Honestly we're lucky keyboard and mouse is even supported with the PC version. I mean that is literally the only thing the PC version has over the console version. We don't even have graphical settings. Instead we have a frivilous graphical option that was never coded into the game. That shows how much effort and thought was put into the PC version.

That UI...........
Can we classify the Defiance UI as harsh interrogation yet? It's painful to use and so tedious to accomplish the most basic of task such as breaking down an item.

Anything that wasn't available on consoles was completely scrubbed from this game too. The weather they literally promoted was taken out of the game for whatever reason as a glaring example of this hostility towards the PC version.

Linamaria
06-21-2013, 10:56 AM
I really don't get what's the point with some people trying to defend the actual state of our text chat or trying to devaluate the discussion for a better chat text system...

No, the "I'm a non social person, so i don't care about chat" is a NOT valid a argument for a MMO game with an active forum! Really, this is just the most ultimate selfish argument.

This kind of behavior makes me wonder, If you are a non social person, why are you here in these forums replying to many posts? Perhaps you are just living a real social dilemma: be social and nice and no one will care about you, OR be an egocentric a** and many people will reply to your selfish points.

CplHicks01
06-22-2013, 05:36 AM
The chat is the worst I have seen in any game in a while. To shutdown every pompous jerk that replied otherwise: Borderlands 2 has better multiplayer chat than this game. I win. Thread over