PDA

View Full Version : PC Exclusive Patches

Gib
04-16-2013, 10:26 PM
I have been wondering ever since launch, and much more so since the latest patch, if they are ever going to make changes to the PC version that they do not make to the 360 and PS3 versions of the game. Things like a proper chat window, customizable UI, maybe some extra video options. Based on my experience with Rift they know how to do those things very well, but I understand that complications/limitations due to the game being cross-platform play a large roll in the development of Defiance. Is there any solid confirmed information saying they are planning on doing PC-only patches in the future? If this has been discussed, I'm sorry, could someone fill me in? :eek:

Bluegobln
04-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Not until they get it stable on all platforms and devastating mutual bugs taken care of. They will, for example, improve our chat where they can, improve everything we can do that the consoles cannot (such as the internal friends lists and communications, chat system, controls, graphics options, etc etc).

I imagine that might take some time.

I'm giving them about 3-4 months, personally, but if they haven't impressed me with a patch or major update by then I will start getting frustrated and consider playing something else.

Or if I somehow stop having fun. :D

Gib
04-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Not until they get it stable on all platforms and devastating mutual bugs taken care of.....

Where have they said that? I tried to find official information on it but couldn't. I read something about view distance and beta, but it was really old. Speaking of which, view distance should be on the top of their list lol. But really, any links I can take a look at? Would be mucho appreciated!

Bluegobln
04-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Its not official. I'm making a statement based on my experience with MMO's and games in general. Since they are having issues on ALL platforms currently, they want to kill 3 birds with one stone until they're out of birds in a neat row.

My guess is that will take them some time, but eventually they absolutely will give us a more specific experience. They can't not improve the voice chat for example: as it is, I have not even been able to USE it properly with anyone, never once had a conversation.

Similarly, people expect more graphics options. I assume they intend to improve this as well, but hey, maybe they wont. It's not like the game looks horrible, it's just about preference and performance improvements.

Gib
04-16-2013, 11:19 PM
I hope you're right. A few changes could make a world of difference.

Rend
04-17-2013, 12:49 AM
This game would have been a million times better if it only would have come out for PC. -A million-

Two weeks in, one patch later, I have yet to see a fcking working chat in the game. You cannot launch a fcking MMO without a chat! What were they thinking?
I have yet to see a proper UI. It cannot be that I had to google how to log out. What the shtako is that about lol.

I took the time to point out in detail why the UI is just dreadful in use for a PC user here, in case you are bored and want a good laugh (or rather cry):
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?34510-An-explanation-for-everyone-to-understand.-Regarding-UI

Take a moment and think about it before you hate. Just these 2 simple things.
Chat & UI.
I really donīt think it is asking much to have these two things working properly.

The sad thing is, that we donīt get ANY information at all about when these things are going to be addressed.
But thank fcking god, we heard about Sledges coolest in game moment on the last livestream over on twitch which I stayed up for till 5 am.

I surely do not hope, that the chat messages being upped from 1 to 2 secs for being shown, is all they are going to do with the chat.

GT3000
04-17-2013, 01:25 AM
This game would have been a million times better if it only would have come out for PC. -A million-

Two weeks in, one patch later, I have yet to see a fcking working chat in the game. You cannot launch a fcking MMO without a chat! What were they thinking?
I have yet to see a proper UI. It cannot be that I had to google how to log out. What the shtako is that about lol.

I took the time to point out in detail why the UI is just dreadful in use for a PC user here, in case you are bored and want a good laugh (or rather cry):
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?34510-An-explanation-for-everyone-to-understand.-Regarding-UI

Take a moment and think about it before you hate. Just these 2 simple things.
Chat & UI.
I really donīt think it is asking much to have these two things working properly.

The sad thing is, that we donīt get ANY information at all about when these things are going to be addressed.
But thank fcking god, we heard about Sledges coolest in game moment on the last livestream over on twitch which I stayed up for till 5 am.

I surely do not hope, that the chat messages being upped from 1 to 2 secs for being shown, is all they are going to do with the chat.

I'm pretty sure we weren't first in their minds when it came to the UI/Chat. So it's perfectly understandable that the UI is a pile of junk for mouse and keyboard. Same with chat. I fail to see why this is difficult to understand. They haven't exhausted their goodwill just yet, they have another couple weeks before I give up on them. Not like I'd be missing much if I came back in 6 months.

v1ctor
04-17-2013, 01:32 AM
I have been wondering ever since launch, and much more so since the latest patch, if they are ever going to make changes to the PC version that they do not make to the 360 and PS3 versions of the game.

Maybe a few months down the road when the servers are running stable and most of the launch and beta bugs have been ironed out. I don't see them doing PC specific changes any time soon.

Defy
04-17-2013, 01:38 AM
am hoping for some UI improvements for PC in the future

Rend
04-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Maybe a few months down the road when the servers are running stable and most of the launch and beta bugs have been ironed out. I don't see them doing PC specific changes any time soon.

A few monthes?

Yeah, I really do not hope so.
Until then I have quit and already forgotten about the game. So will others.

Gib
04-17-2013, 11:05 AM
A few monthes?

That is my fear, that by the time they get around to patching up the PC version into an actual PC game everyone will be gone already. I understand why they care more about 360 and PS3 when it comes to Defiance, I just know based on Rift that if they really wanted to they could make Defiance amazing on PC. With them allowing PC mods maybe the modding community can make up for some of it.

Samson
04-17-2013, 12:46 PM
A few monthes?

Quit, maybe. Forgotten........I think not my friend, or you wouldn't be on here.:confused:

Dchaser
04-17-2013, 01:09 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that offering a better mouse & keyboard UI was on the list.... but of course now I can't find a link for you.

It's pretty dumb that whenever I want to use the Salvage Matrix I reach down and grab a gamepad since the UI is so much easier/faster that way. It's actually faster to change control devices, break down a few weapons, and switch back, than it is to break them down using mouse and keyboard. Particularly after the latest patch.

And key, for all its broken-ness, I still am enjoying the hell out of the game...

Gib
04-17-2013, 03:32 PM
And key, for all its broken-ness, I still am enjoying the hell out of the game...

I totally agree, the game is so friggin fun I can't stop playing. I just see so much damn potential for even more awesomness with just a few little changes. Why oh why does it have to be cross platform lol. I definitely still have high hopes for the future of this game.

Miko
04-17-2013, 04:07 PM

they were thinking that console players dont use keyboards to chat in online games so why bother

Bluegobln
04-17-2013, 04:30 PM
I don't get it. I tested today, I sent a tell just fine (type /t <name> <message>) works 100%

If you're talking about the chat issue that is affecting ALL chat channels, like where it just wont send your message for some reason, yes, that is affecting tells, group, clan, and area chats...

The chat system works though. I've tested it and used it plenty and have yet to have it completely unusable for me.

Now... the VOICE chat no, I have not gotten that to work. But then I don't see that as a requirement for games. I have VOIP clients.

Rend
04-17-2013, 04:42 PM
I don't get it. I tested today, I sent a tell just fine (type /t <name> <message>) works 100%

If you're talking about the chat issue that is affecting ALL chat channels, like where it just wont send your message for some reason, yes, that is affecting tells, group, clan, and area chats...

The chat system works though. I've tested it and used it plenty and have yet to have it completely unusable for me.

Now... the VOICE chat no, I have not gotten that to work. But then I don't see that as a requirement for games. I have VOIP clients.

Here is a complete pointless remark from my side: sigh
Itīs really all I can say.

Gib
04-17-2013, 06:11 PM
I don't get it. I tested today...................

I don't want this to turn into another "fix chat" thread, but...

Yes the system they have in place is "functional" but in comparison to every other chat in every other online game it is complete rubbish. I feel completely disconnected from everyone around me with no way to talk to them. They need to copy and paste the code for the Rift chat system into Defiance lol. Wish it were that easy!

Hopefully we don't have to wait for all the cross-platform stuff to be completely worked out before they at least give PC users an exclusive form of text chat. I know what they have said, but after this last patch that was supposed to "fix" chat, I fear we will have to wait a while for a PC exclusive chat patch, especially after reading the responses in this thread.

On the flip side of the coin, maybe they will implement other PC exclusives at the same time when they do finally get around to properly fixing chat.

dirtyklingon
04-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Here is a complete pointless remark from my side: sigh
Itīs really all I can say.
here's me echoing that sigh.

the person you quoted doesn't seem to get that this chat is subpar to hl1 mp mod chat from 15 years ago.

being able to whisper people certainly is nice. what would be even nicer is if the person who is hte subject of said whisper had a reasonable chance of seeing said whisper.

i spent an hour yday trying to chat with people at the crater bar after making a thread about encouraging people to socialize at a hubu in game. me and another guy did post, but both missed each other by who knows how long.

Bluegobln
04-17-2013, 08:06 PM
I whispered someone earlier today saying "Hiya!" and they immediately turned, looked at me, and stared. I think they didn't know how to respond. However, I know for a FACT they saw me or they wouldn't have reacted so. The chances of a random person coincidentally turning and looking directly at me after I send them a hello in a /t message is pretty low I think.\

If you want, I'll go out of my way to thoroughly test it. I will even record my testing of it to make sure it's documented. I'm pretty sure, though, that most MMO's launch with chat systems not much more complicated than this one.

Things I know this could have:

- Chat tabs
- Changing colors for channels/message types
- Custom channels
- Combat data presented in a tab for useful parsing
- Resizable chat window (this kinda goes in the "improved PC UI" area though)

All of those things are not requirements to chat, they're just improvements and additions that give you more ways to do it, or to personalize the experience.

I'm a VERY social gamer. I play MMO's almost entirely to BE social. I know this because in my literal YEARS of playtime on World of Warcraft I definitely spent a vast majority of that either with other people or alone but chatting with other people. That's why I played, because of the friends I met there and the fun times we had together or sharing our fun times with each other.

As I said, I've had no problems with chatting in this game. The biggest complication is the community is not yet aggressively using the chat system. You don't see people chatting that much. But - its starting to happen. Just like all MMO's it started slow but it is gaining momentum.

----

Remember - bugs are bugs, poor chat systems are poor chat systems. This has bugs, but it is functioning, and while it is not overly complex or may have room for a lot of useful features, they have to take care of the bugs first (and they will in time, they still have bigger fish to fry in my opinion).