PDA

View Full Version : Those that grind and farm loot/xp/keys

Calranthe
04-17-2013, 04:27 AM
You are the reason we get nerfs in games.
Each mmo out there has a risk vs reward curve, when the game first comes out this is a pretty easy curve, the devs assume people will use things as intended but know people will find the loop holes the easy missions etc.

Each patch they have to remove certain things and re-assess the risk vs reward curve, too easy and the economy + players get bored too hard and people leave.

It is an on going dynamic calculation, different for each game.

That mission you found that was easier to "farm" for xp
Those emergencies that gave out keys for 2 minutes work.
ect.

Every time you find the next mission to farm it destroys the game a little, lessens the immersion and causes the risk vs reward curve to be recalculated.

In EQ it got so bad that casual players were totally destroyed by the uberloot guilds who the devs had to keep retweaking things.

The devs can not see every possibility or consequence of an ability they put in, a gun, a spell or shield, a car or item, its is completely up to you and how you act what will decide the future look of the game.

Those of us who play the missions for fun, for the enjoyment of beating it and immersion will always get our play harmed by the "farm" min max crowd.

So those people its your own damn fault. Maybe next time they will remove keys from co-op missions because they see a spike in the count of keys above the risk vs reward people are gaining. who knows.

KashraFall
04-17-2013, 04:31 AM
I have to agree but still :3

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/Kashra/JdpYT_zps7fe67bad.gif

DerHerbman
04-17-2013, 04:32 AM
I disagree.
The grinding people are not the reason. It was just to easy to get keycodes. All you need now are 4 random white loops. You can get 250 of these green stuff from and buy a code. No need to worry!

KashraFall
04-17-2013, 04:34 AM
From what I have seen they are also going to be rewarding the episode type pursuits with keys too. At least some of them. They are taking out the easier factor and adding in a bit of a challenge, as requested.

Blastiel
04-17-2013, 04:35 AM
Each mmo out there has a risk vs reward curve, when the game first comes out this is a pretty easy curve, the devs assume people will use things as intended but know people will find the loop holes the easy missions etc.

Each patch they have to remove certain things and re-assess the risk vs reward curve, too easy and the economy + players get bored too hard and people leave.

ect.

Every time you find the next mission to farm it destroys the game a little, lessens the immersion and causes the risk vs reward curve to be recalculated.

In EQ it got so bad that casual players were totally destroyed by the uberloot guilds who the devs had to keep retweaking things.

The devs can not see every possibility or consequence of an ability they put in, a gun, a spell or shield, a car or item, its is completely up to you and how you act what will decide the future look of the game.

Those of us who play the missions for fun, for the enjoyment of beating it and immersion will always get our play harmed by the "farm" min max crowd.

So those people its your own damn fault. Maybe next time they will remove keys from co-op missions because they see a spike in the count of keys above the risk vs reward people are gaining. who knows.

lol

Just LOL

Seriously? It's the players fault that key codes got nerfed because we were PLAYING THE GAME?

Celke
04-17-2013, 04:38 AM
So basicly, you say I "may not" do loads of Arckfalls & co-ups?

Because by doing that I (and the other players that do this) am the cause of nerfs?

Never thought "farming" wasn't "Allowed" (and I don't do it for the farming stuff, I just like to do it...)

Aside from that I bought this game to play WITH other players, so ofc I am doing a lot of Arckfalls & Co-ups.

IceInWater
04-17-2013, 04:39 AM
From what I have seen they are also going to be rewarding the episode type pursuits with keys too. At least some of them. They are taking out the easier factor and adding in a bit of a challenge, as requested.

well i hope its co op missions it was hard enough for me to get through all the missions n im not an fps person

ovarunity
04-17-2013, 04:40 AM
Those that grind and farm loot/xp/keys.

Why ?
Were is the content you need any of it for ?

KashraFall
04-17-2013, 04:41 AM
well i hope its co op missions it was hard enough for me to get through all the missions n im not an fps person

Co-op missions reward 5 keys. Arkfalls 3, Player activities such as dock areas where you sabotage items reward two. Certain pursuits they add also give keys. The data recorders for the episode pursuits for instance give 8 keys. And of course salvage gives as many as you want. Not being a FPS player or not you will have support behind you, provided you want it ^.^.

Xaearth
04-17-2013, 04:42 AM
No.

Those who abuse the system will continue to find the easiest way to get what they want.

Your assumption that dev teams only remove loot farms because of those people assumes said dev teams are too stupid to realize this... which is not a good sign for the game.

If they wanted to stop the farming, they would cap the gains (or force diminishing returns) with anti-farm code.
They just wanted to stop the gains period.

loops73
First off,emergency events did not get nerfed,they were never meant to give keys in the first place. Secondly,if the devs thought as the OP does,wouldn't they have changed the way arkfalls give keys/exp? You can drive around all day and do 1 damage to arkfalls and get full xp.

Digital Tetsuo
I understand that some people, maybe many, play MMOs on a more relaxed level without grinding/farming or going too deep into the experience. However, the MMO genre simply draws the type of player who actively grinds and often enjoys doing so.Just like there is no fault in playing casually,there is no fault in doing a grind or farming.

Finding areas where there xp is more easy to come by or that has keycodes gives the player who finds it an advantage, but that was found during the playtime of the player in a situation where the reward was there intentionally,at least at the time, so it is completely fair at least IMO. Even with a special area with convenient rewards, the player still must work to get said reward. I see no reason to fault one for working harder than another simply because it gives them an advantage, that is how things work in life.

Again, i say this isnt a right-or-wrong topic, but more one of personal opinion.

Evilution
04-17-2013, 04:44 AM
I personally don't find the grinding for keys the problem, It's the drops from the lockboxes which are silly imo. I opened 3 tier 3 about an hour ago and had all green and blue, I haven't opened tier 4 for a while as they don't seem any value for the keys it costs to purchase them. So if keys take longer to grind at least make them more worth the effort in doing so, also they should of fixed the mod cache to coincide with it and that way when we do get a good drop, we have a chance to mod it also.

NeverMiss
04-17-2013, 04:48 AM
so how do you get your keycodes

Strontium Dog
04-17-2013, 04:51 AM

Sorry stopping reading there. Complete and utter twaddle.

Really , this is this weeks tripe thread.

The reason for ners is that players play the game the way they make it to be played??? They put in grind mechanics and people do that and you claim its the cause of nerfs.

Negative.

The majority of nerfs ,not all but the BIG part of them, is from PVP.

Sometimes we have balancing issues within PvE but that gets easily fixed with npc and mob tweaks and what have you.

No.PvP whinners get shotguns nerfed, infecters nerfed. EVERY MMO on the net right now has had most nerfs from PVP.

Its what ruins great games.

Ataraxia
04-17-2013, 05:04 AM
HAHA a casuals vs hardcore gamers thread, it was about damn time.

Cirvante
04-17-2013, 05:54 AM
ect.

LOL, they put dam defense back in, so players can now farm it again for exp. They removed keycodes from roadside events because they want people to buy lockboxes with real money in their cash shop. They basically nerfed the roadside events that were worth doing, so now there is absolutely no incentive to any of them.

Since
04-17-2013, 07:53 AM
LOL, they put dam defense back in, so players can now farm it again for exp. They removed keycodes from roadside events because they want people to buy lockboxes with real money in their cash shop. They basically nerfed the roadside events that were worth doing, so now there is absolutely no incentive to any of them.

I1m not will buy for real money lockboxes, are you insane? :)

cfStatic
04-17-2013, 08:00 AM
No.

Those who abuse the system will continue to find the easiest way to get what they want.

Your assumption that dev teams only remove loot farms because of those people assumes said dev teams are too stupid to realize this... which is not a good sign for the game.

If they wanted to stop the farming, they would cap the gains (or force diminishing returns) with anti-farm code.
They just wanted to stop the gains period.

They just wanted to stop the gains in that way period.

**** sake people, it's not like you can't get them now unless you buy bits or something, there are still many ways to get keys, the difference is that it takes slightly longer than 2 seconds to get them now.

First off,emergency events did not get nerfed,they were never meant to give keys in the first place. Secondly,if the devs thought as the OP does,wouldn't they have changed the way arkfalls give keys/exp? You can drive around all day and do 1 damage to arkfalls and get full xp.

I could have sworn that they were looking into doing exactly that. So you wouldn't get rewarded for only killing one thing and then going off to do whatever.

Conflict
I don't care that the key codes got nerfed.

It just feels EA greedy when they don't mention it in the patch notes, and instead call it "polishing up emergencies."

That's not polishing, that's nerfing or changing. You don't polish up car tires by removing them from the car entirely.

CowboyHatValor
I like the game - but what else is there to do right now but farm?

Cyripax NeoPrime
04-17-2013, 08:01 AM
I have to respectfully disagree, any game thats advertised as an mmo and any game that has color coded rarities of loot, loot games in general. . . The point of those games is to farm for gear. I havent gone out and farmed any certain instances for xp or loot myself. I just take my time traveling throughout the world doing missions and stuff as I get to them, and I can see some.ppl are exploiting it. But one of the main aspects of this game is farming. You should know that. Its all thats left once you complete all the content for most ppl. Im far from it, and you wont catch me playing the same instances over and over. But really

Your saying that farming is wrong in a loot system mmo shooter? Thats blasphemy

DeMoted
04-17-2013, 08:02 AM
OP made a mistake by talking about EQ. /end thread false information

ten4
04-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Or it is because this game was rushed and they didn't even have this all tested/fixed properly. Seriously, this keycode system has changed multiple times right up to launch day and beyond. We are still in beta lol.

Xaearth
04-17-2013, 08:19 AM
They just wanted to stop the gains in that way period.

**** sake people, it's not like you can't get them now unless you buy bits or something, there are still many ways to get keys, the difference is that it takes slightly longer than 2 seconds to get them now.

You do not want to play the semantics card with me, I'm not in a good feely way towards this game anymore.

All they did was change where people are going to go to farm the key codes and screw over people that actually found it exciting to see one of the mini-boss emergencies in the middle of nowhere and take it down.

I'm sorry, but I'm not running around looking for a very mobile miniboss in the middle of nowhere when "Wandering Hulker" pops up on my screen if all I get out of it is 100 scrip and a green with a chance at being a crappy blue, ESPECIALLY NOT WHEN I CAN GET BETTER REWARDS FOR LESS TROUBLE AND LESS TIME BY ZERGING THROUGH A LAME *** SIDE QUEST AREA THAT ONLY INVOLVES TURNING OFF A FEW TURRETS AND LOL-ADVANCED WEAPON SPAM ON A END-BOSS HULKER.

RegularX
04-17-2013, 08:20 AM
lol

Just LOL

Seriously? It's the players fault that key codes got nerfed because we were PLAYING THE GAME?

Well I've often thought that MMO's would be soooo much better if it weren't for all the players.

xXChromeGhostXx
04-17-2013, 08:25 AM

I don't know what you mean they took keycodes out of roadside events, I have been farming for an hour so far and have gotten 40+ from roadside events... so eh whatever lol.

Xaearth
04-17-2013, 08:26 AM
I don't know what you mean they took keycodes out of roadside events, I have been farming for an hour so far and have gotten 40+ from roadside events... so eh whatever lol.

You're probably on PS3, which hasn't been patched last I heard.

Evilution
04-17-2013, 08:28 AM
I don't know what you mean they took keycodes out of roadside events, I have been farming for an hour so far and have gotten 40+ from roadside events... so eh whatever lol.Are you on ps3 ?

xXChromeGhostXx
04-17-2013, 08:28 AM
You're probably on PS3, which hasn't been patched last I heard.

I figured it had, since dam defense was back in and several other missions that had been missing? or it as just those they slipped in on us, and yes i'm on PS3

Bushmaster2000
04-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Just wait till there's bots !

xXChromeGhostXx
04-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Also, i on't understand why everyone is so...well for lack of a better term at the moment, butt hurt about getting Orange weapons? Yeah they may have the synergy mods more than other guns, but how often do you find the right synergy mod to match to your gunns synergy? I find 2-3 different types of synergy yet have seen many more on guns than this, I'm happy with my blues greens and whites, Oranges are more for PvP happy kiddies.

Spencley
04-17-2013, 08:52 AM

Nothing challenging about limited missions\

Vion Diamonds
04-17-2013, 08:56 AM
I disagree with this,.

Hperf
04-17-2013, 09:15 AM

I definitely see madness here :)
I must admit that I farmed keys for 3 or 4 hours the last weeks (not huge btw). And I didn't enjoyed my playtime.
Not being able to get easy keys is really something good ... because now, to have keys, we can't just farm events like braindead monkeys.

I find these more enjoyable :
- Winning pvp match
- Doing well in coop by maxing dps to clean the coop mission faster and faster
- Doing Arkfall with the same objective ... fast clean to get keys

All these things mean that you practice and learn. You become better with weapons, understand all dps mechanism etc ...

If I wanted to get an epic loot whenever I fart ... I would still be playing world of bull****.

Yokai
04-17-2013, 10:09 AM
I have to respectfully disagree, any game thats advertised as an mmo and any game that has color coded rarities of loot, loot games in general. . . The point of those games is to farm for gear. I havent gone out and farmed any certain instances for xp or loot myself. I just take my time traveling throughout the world doing missions and stuff as I get to them, and I can see some.ppl are exploiting it. But one of the main aspects of this game is farming. You should know that. Its all thats left once you complete all the content for most ppl. Im far from it, and you wont catch me playing the same instances over and over. But really

Your saying that farming is wrong in a loot system mmo shooter? Thats blasphemy

This. Pure and simple.

What's worse, though, is that before, there was at least some reason to pay attention to emergencies and at least stop for 13 of the various emergency types, because IT WAS REWARDING to do so. Now? There is no reason to stop for any emergency at all. Instead, you can queue up for coops, do arkfalls, do pursuits, etc.

But there's no reason to dally with any emergency anymore. Which is a shame, considering they're all over the place. It was a "fun thing to do" to just drive in any direction and look for fun emergencies to do. Now? Nope.

kmartshop
04-19-2013, 06:17 PM
why farm keyz when u can be a wallet warrior just
pul out your visa n open 500 lockboxes

pleeeeeez

Valethar
04-19-2013, 06:25 PM
They couldn't possibly have removed the keys to encourage people to spend $5 on a box full of greens. That would be unthinkable, right?

Or would it?

teflondon
04-19-2013, 06:39 PM
I see a lot of people defending the easily acquired keys and that loot should not come easy. I agree. At the same time should myself, my roommate, our other two friends who play all in the 1400-2K ego range have not once, not ever found a piece of loot from any co-op, arkfall and most certainly never from any of the many(across all 4 of us) lockboxes that have been opened been anything better than something I've now had for over(yes over and each...not total) 100 ish hours of gameplay?

Every single piece of loot I've found in the last 2 weeks has been nothing more than leveling kit. They are all sold or broken down after and that is it. I @Prefer@ loot to be of lesser importance than some online games I've played(and I've been playing them since meridian 59) but some feel of newness, some excitement in finding a new shinny piece of kit IS something I want.

DeMoted
04-19-2013, 06:43 PM

ect.

Hahaha is this a troll post?

Vault Dweller
04-19-2013, 06:48 PM
If they didn't want us to farm loot why would they sell us loot boosts? Are they just to look all cool when you have all those boost stacked next to your health and shields =3

Dodece
04-19-2013, 07:26 PM
What the original poster fails to grasp is that the developers are actively fostering the crass exploitation by players via their own very crass attempts at exploitation. The only true method for player advancement comes through the acquisition of orange gear. The only way to get that gear is through lock boxes. The only way to get the lock boxes that hold the orange gear is through key codes. The developers have basically undermined any incentive to play the game as intended, because doing so nets the player absolutely none of the rewards they need to progress.

The grinding might very well come to an end if the players weren't being corralled towards lock boxes as the only means for actual advancement. In other words players should have a real opportunity to loot the orange gear they need to actually level up their in game characters. I have now purchased around fifteen tier four lock boxes. For my efforts I have gotten six orange weapons. In that time I have literally looted a couple thousand items off of the ground, and haven't once acquired a single orange item in that way.

The reason players are getting upset is that key codes are the only items of any actual real value. The scrip in the game is virtually worthless. The resources aren't much better except for the fact that they can be used to obtain key codes. All loot to be found on the ground is garbage, and leveling itself isn't any kind of incentive beyond the point where a player has unlocked all of the perks that have real value. Namely the ones that offer a persistent bonus regardless of the situation.

What does the original poster want players to do exactly. Give up on making the characters better, and settle for well lets just be honest about it all. Playing the boring generic content that is available. Seriously every mission plays out about the same. Kill the enemies, and run to a object and hold the X button. If that is what they are going to do anyway. They might as well do it in the most efficient way possible to get some kind of reward.

If it weren't for the key code grinding. Which is really a way for players to bide their time until something worth doing comes along. The game would be emptying out pretty quickly right now. There just isn't anything left to do, or that is worth doing for what seems to be the millionth time.

Pizzarugi
04-19-2013, 07:29 PM
So if you're not grinding, what else is there to do? Missions? Lets assume you complete them all and did the challenges. What's next? PvP maybe? How about going back to those Arkfalls.

According to your logic OP, in order to prevent this grinding from happening, then you should stop playing the game altogether because that's all you can do when you've done everything else.

Milz The Kid
04-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Ok, if your so smart, where would I have gotten the stuff to open lock boxes without buying bits! oh wait a second....... Thats why it got nerfed

Wabbles
04-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Everyone needs to know that certain emergencies gave keycodes as a reward that they weren't supposed to. This was a bug that popped up during Beta Weekend #3 that was never fixed till this recent patch. The bugged reward consisted of 1 keycode for participation and 3 for completion as well as 5k Exp, while the only emergencies that were supposed to give keycodes gave like 1-2. Since this bugged reward wasn't fixed till now, people thought it as normal and farmed them for keycodes for easy lockboxes. Since the recent patch fixed this issue, people are seeing this as a nerf to keycodes. This has led people to believe that Trion purposely removed keycodes to get people to buy lockboxes with Bits, which is not true. There are a number of other ways to get keycodes: Arkfalls, Co-Op, PvP, Repeatable Area Missions and Buying with Ark Salvage. Statistically, certain emergencies (miniboss types: Raider Hulker and Monarchs) gave the least amount of keycodes 1 or 2, only with the bugged reward was it the fastest way to get keycodes. Everyone just needs to know that this bug was not intended.

ScottPgMac
04-19-2013, 08:10 PM
lol to be honest i had only paid attention to how may keys i had based on the amount of salvage. i break down 89% of the weapons i come across and through that i have acquired easily over 100 keys and i dont play everyday( maybe 3-4 hrs every 2 days, i still loves me ARMA ;D) i really dont think there is anything for anyone to complain about , Wabbles you get it though because you care enough about the whole picture not just your wants/needs unlike the overwhelming expectations from others not understanding PERFECTION is non-existant as much as it is completley existent. Players like you Wabbles will make this game great, the others will drop off as intended ;) although i`d like to fight sum dummies for some Xtra rewards :P

rReves
04-19-2013, 08:39 PM
lol, proper funny post.

I guess us MMOers got it all wrong and should seek out the least rewarding things to do and stay away from doing anything twice. That way instead of nerfing things the devs might just hand us legendaries for polishing our shoes and picking noses.
Wouldn't that make a great game.