PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of TrackIR support for Defiance PC?

EdgeTW
03-16-2013, 09:38 AM
I was able to catch the first half of the Trion stream live last night (and watched the rest later in the evening), and at one point a few folks in live chat were discussing the idea of Defiance supporting TrackIR. As a TrackIR owner, that got me watching the gameplay a little more carefully and I noticed that, depending on where the camera is looking, the avatar's head can turn independently of the character's direction of movement. So, it does seem like there's an opportunity for the TrackIR hardware to have at least some functionality in this game (if it's supported).

For those who don't know, TrackIR is a device that clips to your headphones (or hat/cap, if you prefer) and another component that clips to the user's monitor. It tracks slight movements of the player's head (you can adjust the sensitivity) and those movements are translated to your avatar who pans his head (and view) to mimic the motion of yours.

Depending on the level of interactivity, it can track left and right pans, up and down elevations, even head pivoting, leaning forward and back to adjust the level of zoom, and peeking around corners. It's really cool when implemented well.

If you go by what the TrackIR developers say, the SDK is easy to implement into any game. Is there any change we can see a pairing of TrackIR support and Defiance for that extra level of immersion? Traditionally, TrackIR is most useful in a first person view but several games do use it for third-person gameplay as well and it works just as well (it's really no more odd than aiming down a crosshair in third person). And it is so ridiculously useful when driving for those that struggle with staying on the road.

Here's the website if the developers are interested: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/05-developers/developers-pc-game-simulation-sdk.html

And here's a great video of TrackIR in action with Arma II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ

/plead

RoadKill
03-16-2013, 03:50 PM
That's cool. Wish I knew bout it back when I plaid bf3.

Don't know how relevant it will be for defiance though

rathb18
03-16-2013, 04:35 PM
I don't think TrackIR would be fun in a 3rd person game. And I doubt they would spend the time and money integrating a feature that very few people would use.

EdgeTW
03-16-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't think TrackIR would be fun in a 3rd person game. And I doubt they would spend the time and money integrating a feature that very few people would use.

Really, don't knock it until you've tried it. :) It works fine in third person; it's no more odd than aiming your crosshair in third person: you're not focused on what you're avatar is doing, the focus is on the scene. So, if you intentionally turn your head (in real life) slightly to the left and the scene on your screen pans to reveal scenery on the left, then that's all that matters (regardless of whether it's a first-person or behind the character view). Whether we realize it or not, we're panning our view (with our mouse) all the time in third person games. That video link I provided shows both first and third person gameplay using TrackIR, by the way.

As for the difficulty/cost.. 1) it's free. 2) a testimonial from the site I linked:

"Programming with the TrackIR Enhanced SDK is ULTRA EASY.

I wrote a program that retrieved axis inputs from the TrackIR driver within 30 MINUTES of receiving the SDK from NaturalPoint.

2 or 3 steps to initialize, 1 step to get inputs information from the device.

A lot easier than programming with DirectInput mice."

At any rate, if they're interested in supporting it I trust the developers will have a better understanding of the effort involved. No need to speculate for them. :)

GT3000
03-16-2013, 05:38 PM
I can't imagine them including TrackerIR before Oculus Rift.

rathb18
03-16-2013, 05:50 PM
I can't imagine them including TrackerIR before Oculus Rift.

Oculus Rift......I should be getting mine this next month hopefully. Now that's what you should play arma 3 with not TrackIR

EdgeTW
03-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Oculus Rift......I should be getting mine this next month hopefully. Now that's what you should play arma 3 with not TrackIR

Hah, no thanks. I like to know what's going on around me in real life while I'm playing a game. Kind of hard to do when you have the equivalent of a monitor wrapped around your eyes and headphones on. It's neat to try out but I wouldn't want to wear it for hours on end.

TrackIR works differently from that anyway (and doesn't make you oblivious to what's going on around you in the process).. can still glance at my written notes or answer my phone while keeping an eye on the game, etc.

To each their own, though!

ironhands
03-19-2013, 12:29 PM
they're need to unlock the look direction from the target direction, just like with most other games. if they don't, it doesn't feel right with either the rift or the trackIR, I expect we'll be seeing more of that in the future, but right now, most lock the two.

EdgeTW
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
they're need to unlock the look direction from the target direction, just like with most other games. if they don't, it doesn't feel right with either the rift or the trackIR, I expect we'll be seeing more of that in the future, but right now, most lock the two.

Well, if you look at some of the gameplay videos/streams, the camera view can pan to each side and your avatar's head turns to look in that direction. Usually people aren't trying to aim and shoot while not looking directly ahead. It is, however, useful for looking around while running in a particular direction.

Also very of cool to nod in approval or disapproval in real life and have your avatar making the same head movements in the game. :)

ironhands
03-19-2013, 01:53 PM
I hadn't noticed that, if that's true, then it's already unlocked and the potential exists.

I do totally agree with you though, that's what makes the trackIR very useful in arma - you can be positioned in a great spot, and look off to the side to see if you're being flanked without changing your aim, but that's definitely not the norm in the FPS genre, your look is locked to your aim because you only have the mouse or one stick to control it. Like I said, as the rift gets closer to release, we'll see that change in some games..they're already doing it in TF2.

EdgeTW
03-19-2013, 02:33 PM
I'll have to look more closely at some videos. It may be that the firing line swivels along with the camera view.