PDA

View Full Version : Is this game as good as Rift?

boxtroll
04-17-2013, 08:49 AM
hey this is a random question but is this game as quality as rift? I really liked rift and what trion did with it. (yes I know its a third person shooter). really enjoyed the tv show considering getting this

Anim
04-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Short answer: no
Long answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope

Shima
04-17-2013, 08:54 AM
It's really nothing like Rift.

At all.

Remotely.

XyBor
04-17-2013, 08:55 AM
N.O. Not even close.

ten4
04-17-2013, 08:56 AM
No, not even close.

Might be different but it all comes down to quality, polish, and support.

Rift has all those yet Defiance lacks it.

Wytchfire
04-17-2013, 08:57 AM
It's really nothing like Rift.

At all.

Remotely.

Kinda with Arkfalls but its a whole new ball game

WarMachine
04-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Depends. I'm more of a fan of shooters, so I think yes.

Fiancee
04-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Hmm, Rift is the experience you dont want to miss, Defiance again, I wouldnt recommend, not that is bad game, well, its not bad or good, its something in the between. Hopefully the DLC's rock.

Hawkler
04-17-2013, 09:04 AM
No. Not even close. While Defiance is a good game. It doesn't even come close to how good Rift was when it came out.

Shima
04-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Kinda with Arkfalls but its a whole new ball game

Ok that's true, even if that mechanic was basically pulled from another game for Rift in the first place.

Still, I wouldn't really compare the two. Rift (IMO) was pretty much a prettier WOW-clone and Defiance is...Defiance.

tstar420
04-17-2013, 09:07 AM
watch this it will explain it all to you.
http://angryjoeshow.com/2013/04/defiance-angry-review/

IGN
04-17-2013, 09:07 AM
No, not even close.

Might be different but it all comes down to quality, polish, and support.

Rift has all those yet Defiance lacks it.

It may be as good as Rift in about a year. As is, no Rift is a much better, more complete product.

Rend
04-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Iīll be honest with you:

If you are coming from an MMO, and think that Defiance also is an MMO, you are going to have a bad time.

I am on the hunt since years for a new MMO I can sink into, was looking forward to Defiance since they claimed itīs an MMO.
Well, it is far from it.
It probably counts as an MMO in the sense of the word, but itīs no MMO under what we all know and imagine an MMO for. (if that makes any sense)

Current state of the game: We are 2 weeks into the game, 1 big patch had arrived.

There is no working Chat in the game. What the hell!! (I am 64 hours played into the game, I have yet to chat with anyone, I have yet to see anyone chat...)

The UI is a PATHETIC, horrible excuse of an UI. One of the worst PC UIs I have ever seen. Clearly made for consoles, and Trion doesnīt seem to give a single fck about it.

I took the time to write down whatīs wrong with the UI in a thread, you can read up on right here if you want a good laugh:
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?34510-An-explanation-for-everyone-to-understand.-Regarding-UI

There are no elements you know and love the typical MMO of your choice for.
- There are no professions,
- there is no Character progression (you are basically no diferent as a lvl 5000, than what you were at lvl 1),
- there is nothing to work towards for (you can find a white gun 10 min into the game, which could be the best gun you will ever find. Better than a legendary 3000 lvl or w/e), [and yeah. Guns is all that there is gearwise]
- there is no social aspect in the game whatsoever, non.
- The UI is shtako. Doesnīt have to do anything with an MMO, itīs just so bad I want to point it out again.
- all the content which is currently in the game, many including me have already finished. (What now? I donīt know. Sit around doing nothing and wait, I suppose...) And here is the thing.
There literally is nothing to do once you have completed the quest line, the sidemissions (which are all the exact same: go there, activate or defend this) , lvled up your guns and done all these stupid race challenges. Someone on this forum pointed out, that he was rerolling an Alt, and went through all the content in under 24 hours.

Nice MMO, eh? =p

This all sounds quite bad, and it is. I am just fed up with that BS.
If Issues like the UI and the Chat would get fixed though, Defiance would become a half decent game I suppose.

Despite all that BS I wrote up there, if you want some single player shooter fun, Defiance delivers.
The quests are ALL the same (you have to either guard something, or activate something. And thatīs about it lol), but it is fun.

I really only can recommend Defiance as a buggy single player game atm. Simply because it has nothing to do with what we all understand an MMO for.

Rend
04-17-2013, 09:39 AM
felt good to get this off my chest for once O_o

Fle2ch
04-17-2013, 09:42 AM
I think the quests and missions are much better than they are in rift.
I think the instances are more fun as you don't need a tank or a healer everyone just has fun and kills the bad guys.
I like driving around in my dodge and the fact you don't get restricted to a class or a set of weapons means you have more options.
I liked rift but grinding the last few levels killed me I couldn't face the game after that.
This game is nice you get to shoot things and watch their heads come off when you crit or in the case of a shotgun fly back about 10 feet before expiring.

boxtroll
04-17-2013, 09:45 AM
thanks for the replies this saddens me a bit :(. well i was thinking of getting storm legion i have a 50 bahmi warrior so may give that a go

Rend
04-17-2013, 09:50 AM
I think the instances are more fun as you don't need a tank or a healer everyone just has fun and kills the bad guys.
I like driving around in my dodge and the fact you don't get restricted to a class or a set of weapons means you have more options.
I liked rift but grinding the last few levels killed me I couldn't face the game after that.
This game is nice you get to shoot things and watch their heads come off when you crit or in the case of a shotgun fly back about 10 feet before expiring.

You cannot be serious.
Quests and missions are the most generic type I have seen.
Instances are fun, unless you care about the "holy trinity" (quite common in MMOs, so understandable if ppl want it).
Driving mostly is a pain in the A ss, cause you bump into **** every 50 meters. (Physics of driving could be advanced as well.)

Iīll give you the last part though. You shoot things.

Shima
04-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Yea the gameplay itself separates it from other MMOs to me. It's actually fun and not just 'almost passing out hitting the same hotkeys while my character autoattacks'.

Course, I don't really treat this like an MMO either cause the social/chat aspect isn't really there (though clan chat works post-patch at least).

WNxTyr4el
04-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Don't compare the two. It's like comparing Call of Duty to Skyrim. While Defiance and Rift share some mechanics vis-a-vis Arkfalls, they are nothing similar. Defiance is an Sci-Fi MMOTPS while Rift is just a fantasy MMO. There are too many things that separate them that you cannot compare the two.

That being said, the game itself is very good I think. I'm one that doesn't usually pay attention to story in an MMO and this is no exception. I've heard the story is a weak part but the gameplay itself is one of its stronger points. The addictive loot collecting will keep you busy for hours on end through missions and Arkfalls and Co-Op dungeons. The side quests can get tedious and boring if played solo but they can be challenging and fun at some times. The main story missions are more interesting and varied and even more challenging I think. If you get the game, hit me up in-game. To do so do the following:

1. Press Ctrl
2. Go down to "Find Player"
3. Type in "Argan" (without quotes)

And then you can add me from there as a friend :D. Hope to see you soon.

Oh and Trion has said they have 5 planned paid DLCs coming. If you want them for free (ish), you can pay around $35 for a season pass to get all future DLC for free.

Runoff
04-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Rend got it about right how I feel with game. I do enjoy Defiance for what it is but it only has about 1/10 the pve content of most other games I have played.

Daoc took me maybe 6months or tad more to get 1-50 back in the beginning.
Rift had a lot of content at release maybe 3 months worth. Now its got humungous amount of quest content. Starting from lvl 1 would keep a solo quester busy for aload of months without running out of stuff to do.
Tho you cant really compare Defiance to anything else its in some other gender def not mmorpg.

KodiakX
04-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Hell ****ing no.

(Profanity added to hit the 10 character requirement)

Ticon
04-17-2013, 10:33 AM
First ill tell yah OP question sounds trollish=perhaps if it were in a wow forum or GW2 forum itll be ok.

My answer?

i dont compare apple and oranges.

Wytchfire
04-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Ok that's true, even if that mechanic was basically pulled from another game for Rift in the first place.

Still, I wouldn't really compare the two. Rift (IMO) was pretty much a prettier WOW-clone and Defiance is...Defiance.
I agree. Rift is fantastic.
As I said, Defiance is whole new ball game.

EnabrimGFC
04-17-2013, 11:38 AM
2 different genres. cant compare.

Jestunhi
04-17-2013, 11:40 AM
If you are looking for an MMORPG - no.

If you are looking for an online shooter - could be, check out some videos and decide for yourself.

Mavor
04-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Apples and oranges. Rift is a true blue MMORPG - Defiance is an MMOTPS. One is hotkey based and one is reflex based. They're both good and both fun but not comparable in my opinion.

Gashslapper
04-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Defiance = Borderlands in Bay Area, CA

Terra
04-17-2013, 11:56 AM
If you are trying to compare the two games, with different systems of game mechanics that won't work. But if you are asking if it is as fun to play? Probably stilll not going to get a satisfying answer. Depends on what you like and such.

Personally I did beta and alpha and ended up skipping a pre-order. I liked the pilot and I liked the reflex shooting from beta. But like a lot of reviewers I feel the game overall was a bit hit and miss, at least they fixed the enemies shooting through cover bug apparently.

If you are on the fence, my best advice is to watch the show and see if you like the universe. It will also give Trion some time to work out some kinks that i've been hearing about the game. You'll have a much better impression if you want to give it a go, and Trion will have time to make sure you have a game you want to keep playing.

Though one thing I have heard is the game is strangely addictive despite it's many flaws, if that helps at all.

Dazz
04-17-2013, 11:59 AM
hey this is a random question but is this game as quality as rift? I really liked rift and what trion did with it. (yes I know its a third person shooter). really enjoyed the tv show considering getting this

Not by a longhshot. Quality so far has been horrible.

Avelya
04-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Defiance = Borderlands in Bay Area, CA

Not by a long shot...

Xeos
04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
I remember when rift was released though it had some iffy reviews asside from that game play wise its 2 completely different genres. But to be fair I play rift over this game but down the road and knowing trions track record of fixing thing it could be turned around.

ironhands
04-17-2013, 12:23 PM

The shooting is much better than Rift. I think the guns in Defiance are also much better.

It's really pointless to attempt to compare the two, they don't have a lot in common, you're better off comparing it to other open world shooters

DariO
04-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Rift was bad. This is way better than Rift.