PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about removed episode missions

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-17-2013, 08:51 AM
So, I have been doing a lot of thinking, and here is some new thoughts and opinions on what I think would improve and work around the episode missions and pursuits.

First, I am thinking that the episode pursuit is the latest tie-in to the game. Unlike the missions, there is no cut scenes, not a lot of info on how it really ties into the game, although it does mention that itís supposed to be a celebration of Defiance. So I was thinking if itís supposed to be sort of like a new holiday, make it a yearly event, sort of making it celebrate the launch of the game as well as the holiday event in the series.

Next up, removing the episode missions completely is definitely a bad thing. What I would suggest maybe to tie it into the series, as soon as season one finale airs on tv, return the episode missions again and rename them to rerun missions. I mean they did it to the main mission and just changed up the rewards for completing them, why not do the same thing with the episode missions as well?

I had another idea that would help and improve the episode missions and the game. I have read other posts of people complaining that having the old episode missions would clutter the map, here would be my idea, instead of having a static legend on the side that shows everything, it would be better to have a check-box there. I mean it would be nice to just see the things you want on the map rather than be forced to see the time trials and rampage missions when all you really want to see or find is a store.

Airwave
04-17-2013, 10:11 AM
YUP!! they should run inline not be removed! What about new players? At least put some way to view the cutscenes in game or on web site.

Coraline
04-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Like all mmos there are events that occur from Day X to Day X. I don't see the big deal. There was 3 missions you could do right after the other. While they took it out, it's not a big deal missing it if you haven't done it.

Ticon
04-17-2013, 10:38 AM
im glad tv missions have a window frame todo they arent that hard. and the rewards are pretty special. so i like how its beign handled!

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Like all mmos there are events that occur from Day X to Day X. I don't see the big deal. There was 3 missions you could do right after the other. While they took it out, it's not a big deal missing it if you haven't done it.

Actually it is a big deal since you will be leaving out alot of content for newly created characters and new players. You are losing rewards like the outfits, and also the prelude story to how Nolan actually got the crystal to begin with from the series.

im glad tv missions have a window frame todo they arent that hard. and the rewards are pretty special. so i like how its beign handled!

Its not a matter of how hard they are, its the fact that content is being removed. Also a week is too short of a time frame. What if something happened that week and your not able to play the game. You would lose alot of the story line plus rewards that comes with it.

Shima
04-17-2013, 11:38 AM
I think having a deadline to complete them is a good thing - it encourages people to log in and play. This isn't like a daily or something where you only have 24 hours, people were given over two weeks to do this stuff (and were warned).

Mavor
04-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Every MMO has content that comes and goes - so people missing out on things is nothing new or suprising. This is a world that has to coincide with a TV show and thus is going to develop and change with it. That means that a % of players ARE going to miss things and thats the breaks.

That said - I would like to see episode missions put back in at a later time with some replay functionality - BUT without the original awards - thus they will retain incentive for players to get them done before the next episode and those that work to that end are able to claim a unique reward.

Keydric
04-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Personally, I don't have a problem. Those are short missions and are directed at the people who watch the show. If you are watching the show and playing the game, you most likely will do the content each week.

What would be nice is if at the end of the season, they started doing "reruns" of the missions so people can still do them if they missed them

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-17-2013, 11:49 AM
I think having a deadline to complete them is a good thing - it encourages people to log in and play. This isn't like a daily or something where you only have 24 hours, people were given over two weeks to do this stuff (and were warned).

Again I repeat, what happens to those who can't log in for one reason or the other? What if your console or computer breaks? What if you have to go on vacation, or just lose the internet? What about those who haven't bought the game to wait for the price to lower or waiting for the bugs to be ironed out before buying? They get screwed because of it. Also did you think about when the dlc comes out? What if they release a new race that you want to play? Again, you get screwed out of the content.

Chev
04-17-2013, 11:51 AM
That said - I would like to see episode missions put back in at a later time with some replay functionality - BUT without the original awards - thus they will retain incentive for players to get them done before the next episode and those that work to that end are able to claim a unique reward.

Incentive for players? Really?
You know what real life is about? Incentives and dissappointments.
I'm playing games for FUN, to turn my mind away from RL issues. The last thing I want in a game is the word MUST and things like incentives. Removing those missions and the related rewards was a HUGE mistake give the current state of the game, no matter the show did get aired already.
I'm playing since day 1 hour 1, did finish those missions yet completely disagree with you statement.
Just my two cents. Again.

Vion Diamonds
04-17-2013, 11:54 AM
I think the people at Trion don't even play the game, that's why they keep ruining it but doing dumb sh!t. Such as this removal of episodes.
They need to get their act straight. They got a lot of money so let's see what they do next. Might be their last one haha.

Shima
04-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Again I repeat, what happens to those who can't log in for one reason or the other? What if your console or computer breaks? What if you have to go on vacation, or just lose the internet? What about those who haven't bought the game to wait for the price to lower or waiting for the bugs to be ironed out before buying? They get screwed because of it. Also did you think about when the dlc comes out? What if they release a new race that you want to play? Again, you get screwed out of the content.

Most of them grow up and accept they just don't get to do everything cause something happened. You know, like all the people that didn't have the money for the special editions but want the outfits or titles or whatever.

I'd have more sympathy if this wasn't pretty clearly communicated along with plenty of time to get these things done. If you can't play in two weeks time frame (or didn't care enough about the game to start when it did) the game itself might not be for you - these episode missions certainly weren't.

Mezdec
04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
It is what it is....I can see both sides of the argument I suppose. As another poster stated though, most MMO's have these type of "events" whether it's a holiday event, etc... that lasts for X amount of days. Seeing that character wearing something that you are unable to get is incentive to hopefully keep you at least lurking around the game to see/hear when next event is. I find this type of thing pretty common and am suprised that so many people are upset about it. I mean if it was called a "Christmas Event" and was still running through February...wouldn't that be odd? HOw is it much different for this? Just my 2 pennies. I missed out on them as well, but that's the way it goes....I'll be keeping eye out for any new ones, that's for sure.

Xeos
04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I also would compare this to events Rift has them, WoW has them whatever else. Only these missions are going aside a tv program which correct me if I am wrong is a new concept.

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-17-2013, 12:21 PM
It is what it is....I can see both sides of the argument I suppose. As another poster stated though, most MMO's have these type of "events" whether it's a holiday event, etc... that lasts for X amount of days. Seeing that character wearing something that you are unable to get is incentive to hopefully keep you at least lurking around the game to see/hear when next event is. I find this type of thing pretty common and am suprised that so many people are upset about it. I mean if it was called a "Christmas Event" and was still running through February...wouldn't that be odd? HOw is it much different for this? Just my 2 pennies. I missed out on them as well, but that's the way it goes....I'll be keeping eye out for any new ones, that's for sure.

Going back to my origianl post, I did make this comment earlier. The episode pursuit thats going on now, I can see as a yearly event, with possibly the rewards changing abit each year, but the missions are different. The episode missions are like a tv series. there should be something like a rerun option. I wouldn't mind if they wanted to wait to bring back the missions till the end of the current season of the tv series. Also like another previous poster said, I wouldn't even mind it too much if they just brought them back with a different reward, like they with replaying the main mission, just having a radom gear box.

Dchaser
04-17-2013, 02:13 PM
You guys might know that there's a Raptr Q&A going on today:
http://raptr.com/Myll_Erik/news/51687d97caf17cb22f/raptr-q-a-defiance

If you search through it (it's a mess), "ennsta" is a verified Trion developer and he's said in a couple of places that since so many people seem against removing content, they might be changing their mind about the whole idea.

For example, someone asked:

"I travel a lot as part of my job, and I can go 6-8 weeks or more without having much opportunity to play games. Will there be some way for me to re-visit the old episode content that I've missed while I was away from home? Thanks."

and Ennsta's reply:

"Some of it yes but as there have been so many requests to not disable the content, we might simply leave it in. In many cases, it isn't disruptive to leave it in so we might do that."

So if you're against them removing the content, I suggest you keep letting them know.

EnabrimGFC
04-17-2013, 03:13 PM

I feel the same way about it. It feels like a traditional MMO event. You log in and get some special quests to do for a week or so and if you don't finish them before the event ends its GG. These pursuits aren't exactly massive DLC-Expansion Pack style things. If a DLC only lasted for 1 week I'd be upset but this is just an event.

Shada Mori
04-17-2013, 03:27 PM
I like them. Its not like they are only up for two days or something.. you have plenty of time to run them. And the argument of "What about people who wait till the price drops, or bugs to be ironed out" .. what about the people who have stuck with the game from day one? Part of the experience of the game is playing along with the show to a degree .. which means those who were there from the beginning, get more. *shrugs*

Selustra
04-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Ok i am ending this "They were warned" thing once and for all, There are people out there who completed the missions, I am one of them but I would love to replay through them on new characters when I make them. I have friends who might get into the game later on after seeing the show but never will get to experience the complete game because of content being removed permanently after only being in the game for 1-2 weeks and they have busy scheduals. Just because someone who completes the episodes cause they have all the time in the world to be on every day of the week and never miss a episode doesnt give a excuse to those who have jobs, those who get deployed into combat, those who just get into the game who didnt know that these episodes even exsisted. The Trolling needs to stop now cause those who keep encouraging trion to remove episode missions or ANY content after only beeing in the game for a week and its gone permanently obviously dont care about the lore, the story, the characters, or the world that this game takes place in. I for one love the lore, love the characters and the ability to have my characters that i start later on, the game always starts in the past and will never be in the present till you complete every single main mission till you are caught up so this "it wont make sense for current events if I see Nolan and Irissa in the Bay Area" is absolute moot cause your character saw them on the super carrier as it was being shot down, you are tryin to get caught up with the events in the game and these "Current Events" wont show till you complete each Mission anyways and they "Phase" out of exsistance the minute you complete them so stop with the arguement that it wont be cannon, the mechanics for making them vanish from those who already did it are there, You completed the missions, good for you, YOU dont get to see them again on that character unless they reintroduce them in a replay system or you start a brand new character who is in the past till they complete the events in San Fran.

Chivaro
04-17-2013, 05:21 PM
What I do have an issue with is if they start keeping dynamic timed content in the game, as it would defeat the purpose of the game and the evolving world. If something happens in an episode, then any dynamic content should remain timed to link into the next episode.

Selustra
04-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Ever changing world will not be affected cause those who completed those missions will NEVER see them again once completed, You cant even see them till you get to a certain point in the main storyline, if they are going to remove "Episode" missions cause they arent current events, then they need to throw out the entire Main Storyline cause its not current event till you beat the leader of the Dark Matter in San Fran.

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-17-2013, 05:34 PM
What I do have an issue with is if they start keeping dynamic timed content in the game, as it would defeat the purpose of the game and the evolving world. If something happens in an episode, then any dynamic content should remain timed to link into the next episode.

The only problem with this statement is that the start of this game from just the MAIN mission alone takes place BEFORE the series does. In fact if you start a new characer now, you STILL see Nolan and Irisa at the starting cutscene. That means they would have to take out the whole main quest, cut out nearly everything for PvE and make it just another PvP shooter with a couple random events from time to time.

Markise
04-17-2013, 06:08 PM
I don't see why they took the episodic missions out. I think of it this way, some people have to work, travel, etc. Now i took the time to record the show and play the game for only roughly 24hrs but still i don't have a lot of free time.

So i recorded the show to be able to watch at a later date, then logged in today to find out the episodic missions were removed. I really don't see why this is the case. I'm assuming if they have 1 episodic mission that they are going to have more in the future, just leave it in for those that don't have the time to do both. You could always make episode one have to be finished before episode two, etc.

So now the story I wanted to see I cannot, this made me log out immediately and come to the forums, i was actually kind of upset. I can hear some of you now, you should have just done it it doesn't take that long or whatever, but the truth is, it should just still be there. If anything its a good way for people to get more back story for the show, and even more so if they don' t even start playing or watching the show for another year.

dirtyklingon
04-17-2013, 06:12 PM
i see leaving it in the same way i see reruns.

and as far as i know if you buy the show on amazon or w/e you can see the older episodes anytime after they air anyway.

so yeah it's pretty derpy to remove it, for those reasons alone

but another thing to consider is look at gw2.

almost all of the content that has been added to the game since launch was removed shortly after being added. and as such there effectively hasn't been much added to the game on a permanent basis since launch after like nearly 9 months of being out. most servers in the game are now ghost towns aside from full rated servers as a result, with most of the people having moved to those full servers a long time back or guesting on them regularly.

Skydive
04-17-2013, 06:32 PM

If you can't log in for a specific reason like a problem with your internet or computer that is an understandable reason. Yet if someone wants to do something badly enough they will find a way, they won't make excuses.

As for those that are waiting for the game for a lower price, that's their loss. Those that invested early are being rewarded for not so much their loyality but their belief in a game from the start.

The tie-in do not really offer you anything particularly valuable other than an insight into what happens to certain characters at certain points. Costumes maybe, but the weapons that were rewarded are not anything more powerful or noteworthy over other weapons in the game, in fact the purple one damn right was useless compared to other assault rifles. Which is probably a good thing, because if it was any better people would complain even more about the time limited factor of the episodic missions.

Going back to the costumes, chances are these may make it to the defiance store, so you aren't really missing anything, except to pay for them rather than play for them.

Again, if someone desires something enough, they will find a way, they don't make nilly willy excuses.

Selustra
04-17-2013, 07:26 PM
The rewards I could care little to nothing about, I care about the content of the missions itself, nothing anyone has to say against this will change my desire to relive these on new characters, or the fact hat new players who join the game wanting to play these missions. This is like saying I bought Borderlands 2 and cant go back to playing Borderlands 1 cause its "Old Content" or "not Current" the point of a free to play game is to be able to play it when I want or able to. those who completed it on their characters already wont be effected cause they cant even see the damn episode missions or any missions the completed already in the firstplace so this wont hinder your gameplay. stop being trollish to people who want to actually enjoy the game and its storyline.

Eisberg
04-17-2013, 07:38 PM
You guys might know that there's a Raptr Q&A going on today:
http://raptr.com/Myll_Erik/news/51687d97caf17cb22f/raptr-q-a-defiance

If you search through it (it's a mess), "ennsta" is a verified Trion developer and he's said in a couple of places that since so many people seem against removing content, they might be changing their mind about the whole idea.

For example, someone asked:

"I travel a lot as part of my job, and I can go 6-8 weeks or more without having much opportunity to play games. Will there be some way for me to re-visit the old episode content that I've missed while I was away from home? Thanks."

and Ennsta's reply:

"Some of it yes but as there have been so many requests to not disable the content, we might simply leave it in. In many cases, it isn't disruptive to leave it in so we might do that."

So if you're against them removing the content, I suggest you keep letting them know.

I really hope they decide to do that, because it doesn't cause any harm in the game to keep them in the game.

Markise
04-17-2013, 07:43 PM
um no... what exactly are you arguing against?

Embril
04-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Again, if someone desires something enough, they will find a way, they don't make nilly willy excuses.

This is a video game. It's the thing you do when you're taking a break from doing the stuff important enough to talk about "doing it and not making excuses". It's not a job. There's no meaning to any of it, it's just entertainment. Just like the series, you'll be able to play it when you want or have time later on down the road; the series airs, and you can watch any of the episodes ever, whenever. Heck, most of my favorite shows I never saw when they were actually on TV just because of my work hours.

There are other ways to add in time sensitive events that give incentive to log in and play. Taking out the quests that add context to a story that you'll still be able to experience well after it has aired in the show is not a good idea and is not fair to everyone playing. Even if I created a new character, I couldn't go back and do them again just to say "oh, hey, I remember seeing that in the show."

A system is already in place in the game to unlock quests as you progress, just make the next episodic quests unlock sequentially like they do with the main story. Let people experience the story as it ties in to the series in their own time since they can experience the series in their own time the same exact way, not just limiting it to when it first airs.

Senel
04-17-2013, 09:38 PM
It's really silly to make content only to have it removed within a week, now i understand they provide adequate time to do these missions but i rather the content persist instead of being removed. It doesn't negatively impact the show or game if it remained and progressed as a quest line like the main story mission, it be positive to have more content actually.

Imagine for instance the poor folks who see episode 1/2 and wanna pick up the game but the missed a bunch of enjoyable missions because they didn't immediately buy the game. Now those people who got hooked from the show miss important backstory, etc. involved with the show which is why they even picked up the game in the first place.

Agonist
04-17-2013, 10:28 PM
I want them back please.

AZAG0TH
04-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Huge thread here on this: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?37754-Removing-Episode-Missions-to-Coincide-With-Show-Will-Kill-This-Game

My post from there:
I am going to side with the OP here on this. Removing content every week from a game that needs more is just silly. I get what they're going for (weekly events) - I just think it's a stupid move.

Anyone who buys this game a month from now, or two months from now is going to be pretty irritated to find out they can't do a bunch of missions that people who've been around since launch can do. It doesn't matter what those missions were, or whether they were good or not. It's just going to put a sour taste in new player's mouths. If you tell someone they can't have something, human nature makes that person WANT it.

I also know that many of you will disagree with this - and I couldn't care less. I've read through this entire thread (and others like it) and there is NO VALID REASON why any content should be removed from this game, for any reason. If Nolan and Irisa are STILL in the tutorial mission (after they are now in Defiance/St Louis), there is no reason why they can't allow players to play through Episode 1 content. Nor is there a valid reason to place any episodic content in San Francisco this close to release.. It's just a bad, bad idea.

Krovar
04-17-2013, 11:27 PM
removing content from a game with no content. means there is less content than the content you didn't have already http://i.qkme.me/3p5fx7.jpg

pamkhat
04-17-2013, 11:37 PM
It's never good to make content and take it away. I don't care how much of a warning you give to players about its removal. It's not about that. It's about a game that some would say lacks in the content department to begin with has temporary content. I'm not sure anyway actually like that kind of thing.

Well, I take it back. I'm sure a particular type of person likes thinking they have something someone else can no longer get. It makes them feel special, I suppose, but decent folks just want players to stick around. Options make gamers stick around and taking options away from them just plain sucks.

MacDeath
04-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Why did we need YATOTT (Yet Another Thread on this Topic)? Could not this discussion have continued in one of the already ongoing discussion threads? Or perhaps in the ongoing Suggestion thread? Forum discussion is good. Forum clutter is bad.

Galactimus
04-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Agreed with the OP.

In any other MMO this is common practice. They release a huge content patch during a holiday. They paint the main cities a new color, they send you on themed quests, and they offer holiday themed goods and clothing for a limited time only. One or two weeks later the event ends and the game returns to normal for another two months. It's seasonal, it's festive, and you can only get these goodies once a year.

But this game is an entirely different beast. We're not talking about missing out on candy canes and easter eggs. This is story content which is directly tied to the world our characters live in. It offers us in-game lore, it fleshes out the universe, it helps promote our characters existence in the world, and it happens every single week.

If people want to take a break from the game for a week they shouldn't be penalized by being unable to access all of this story content; including new characters, new cut scenes, and new missions. You could certainly make the rewards a limited time only; which gives the entire player base more incentive to log in every week (as opposed to once a month.) Whether its "fair" or not is debatable. But making the story driven content a limited time deal is NOT a good design choice.

Golgo28
04-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Actually it is a big deal since you will be leaving out alot of content for newly created characters and new players. You are losing rewards like the outfits, and also the prelude story to how Nolan actually got the crystal to begin with from the series.

Its not a matter of how hard they are, its the fact that content is being removed. Also a week is too short of a time frame. What if something happened that week and your not able to play the game. You would lose alot of the story line plus rewards that comes with it.

then people need to not ***** foot around.And screw any johnny come latelys that didn't get the game before the first episode aired.Now those that did the missions in the time frame have outfits and items that are not available to everyone.I can't and won't feel bad for those that didn't adopt early enough.Also Trion already said they are probaly gonna rerun the missions during the off season when the show is in reruns.if you didn't use the oppurtunity to do the missions while there your just s.o.l.

whoiscraig
04-17-2013, 11:49 PM
And screw any johnny come latelys that didn't get the game before the first episode aired.

Seriously? If people see the tv show and then are attracted to the game, just screw them? Jeeze, I'm glad you're not a game designer.

Cyripax NeoPrime
04-18-2013, 12:06 AM
What I had suggested was since newcomers and tv services have some type.of on demand service where you can catch up on the show even if you miss episodes the days they air, that the game should have an episode mission menu. Where you can pick which episodes missions will drop into your map. If you choose episode 1 then those missions are the only avail episodic content on your map, or if you choose episode 2 then those drop in. of course after the air date they would most likely have to make them solo only as to not clash with the live world co-op aspect of the mmo, or , ould even be made available as offline content. I would agree to even removing the rewards so the ppl that have done them on time have something special as incentive to stay current. But I dont want anyone new to miss out on any of the story as well. Heres my original thread on the matter http
://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?37723-EPISODE-missions-DEVs-please-read!!!!

Galactimus
04-18-2013, 12:21 AM
then people need to not ***** foot around. And screw any johnny come latelys that didn't get the game before the first episode aired. [Enter the righteous words of a man who cares for only himself here]

Let me ask you a question if I may. How does re-adding these "single player story missions" hurt YOU in any way? You seem to be taking some self-absorbed stance for no apparent reason. Like you're somehow going to be dethroned from your pixelated mountaintop should these missions ever be repeatable for new / lazy / unfortunate players.

I'm not sure where this "Let's remove STORY content every week, refuse to let new players play it, and then laugh at them with our shiny random outfit they will never have" attitude comes from but its certainly not the best way to welcome new faces to the game. A game that's already suffering from anti-social game play and a horrifically low population count.

Cyripax NeoPrime
04-18-2013, 12:34 AM
what would you guys think of having an Episode Mission Menu. Where newcomers to.the game can choose which episode missions will be available on thier map such as Episode1, episode 2, etc.... This way no one has to miss out on any of the story just because they werent there from the beginning. You could make them available as solo play only after the air date , that way they would not clash with the live world co-op of the mmo. Or you can make them available as offline download experiences where the rewards are removed just so new ppl can play them and the ppl that did play them on time still get thier incentives for staying current and keeping up. or as others suggested have them all available mid season? At the least relese the cutscenes to watch in game so no one misses any of the awesome story.

Because for a game thats main Selling point is that it coincides with a tv show and vice versa, in my opinion the episode missions are far more important and relevant than any of the storys main missions or side mission(and those will be replayable) . . .the biggest thing they can do to turn ppl away from this game is taking away parts of the MAIN viewing audiences storyline or the mostly relevant parts of the storyline to the lore of what defiane is and will be to the player base/audience tht is in majority aware of the scope of wht trion Is trying to accomplish here or what the hardcore fans hope they will deliver. then they may as well just be left with the ppl who pick up the game, play the main story and side quests and trade it in for thier next big game before it loses it value. Im just sayin dont punish newcomers. Completely removing chunks of storyline is awful. I could see if this was like other mmos holiday events that really dont effect the story of the world. But this info is vital to the way ppl invest in theyre game and in the world of Defiance!

Think about it.

fayth
04-18-2013, 01:16 AM
you guys are too late. nolan has left san fran and is now in the city of defiance

if you wanna meet him. wait til they give us a way to go to defiance.

im guessing the game and the tv show will have the same timeline, which means if one npc died in the tv show. he might be dead in the game as well (if he/ she's in both)

no more episode mission just means you're too late. they moved on.

whoiscraig
04-18-2013, 01:49 AM
you guys are too late. nolan has left san fran and is now in the city of defiance

Or just start a new character and meet him in the first cut scene :p

Cyripax NeoPrime
04-18-2013, 02:27 AM

im guessing the game and the tv show will have the same timeline, which means if one npc died in the tv show. he might be dead in the game as well (if he/ she's in both)

no more episode mission just means you're too late. they moved on.

By that logic, evryones too late to do the story missions and side missions too. Cos you know what, theyve already been played, case closed. Too late. Sorry. So theres no point for those to be replayable either. By ANYone. I played em already so johnny newcomer cant. Seriously theres ppl out there that if they knew about large chunks of the actual relevant story bieng taken out of the game so they cany experience the parts of the story that are actually important to the world of defiance, wouldnt even bother buying it and playing it now.

Story and side missions may be the majority of this game over episode missions. But they dont mean much in the grand scheme next to episodic content with the intertwined world trions attempting to weave here. Please read my previous post because it says it all. This new concept that trions attempting should be done right or it might fail. I find it hard to beleive they bend to the ppl who want guns nerfed, but wont give thi, what seems to be a mjor issue a way to live on without having to wait for a half a year till between seasons. Most of the ppl that will come later and decide if theyre really going to invest in this will want the whole story experience. We cant just have the mentallity that things should only cater to those of us who were here from the beginning and had all the time needed to do everything when it was given. This int some holiday content crap from w.o.w., its large chunks of the main story that directly effect the selling point of this game and tv show(bieng two worlds that feed off each other) why should newcomers care about investing i.to the story, if they cant really invest into the whole experience?

Im sorry, but time sensitive content should never have a direct impact on the core of the story. And I know thats exactly what the point of this new concept is. But at least have an on demand rerun menu in game so newcomers can watch those parts of the story so they can feel invested and feel it was money and time well spent . They dont have to get the rewards. Not everyone is going to surf around youtube looking for episode missions to watch. Thats just another terrible solution. No one should have an objection to having a solution to this. Especially if the reward arent given outpast the episode air dates. Just cos we were all here from the jump gives us a sense of entitlement to be az-holes? NO! Who raised you that way? The ppl thinking like that are all saying "hey trion, dont plan on having any new customers! What you got now is all you deserve" I dont understand the fierce objection to this, its not going to hurt you. Yall got your outfits and guns just like I do. But I dont mind. In fact ive invested into everything about this game and went all out. Ultimate edition, season pass, cash shop inventory stacks, im spending money and supporting trion. Why shouldnt they invest in what the fans want? Or what future potential customers will want?

Starcore
04-18-2013, 03:01 AM
I really dont care, i missed out on the first set. But sometimes u miss out on things. I just want to have fun, i dont think by not having the first set of missions done is going to hold me back so far, that playing the game becomes pointless.

I just like to shotgun things in the face!

EdgeTW
04-18-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm really not sure why anyone would object to episode content remaining around longer or even forever. Once you complete the mission it's no longer available to you. So why would anyone complain about what sorts of missions other players still have access to?

When you finish the main storyline, other players are still playing it. You kill the robot guarding the Golden Gate bridge, yet for other people it remains intact. It will be killed a million times without your knowledge.

So.. why care if someone can still participate in (example) the initial Nolan and Irisa adventures we had at launch? Because of the way phasing works, you can't see those NPCs anymore once you complete the mission. What does it matter if others still can, and can still do the missions long after you've completed them? How is that unlike any other content in the game?

Some of the people on the forum opposing these very reasonable requests are coming across as control freaks. They insist people play the game the way they want to play it, at the pace they want to set.. they need to understand this is not their personal single-player game. They're in an MMO and playing with hundreds of thousands of other players, and every one of them has the same expectations of having fun as they do. They need to focus more on their own gameplay experience, which is in no way impacted when someone else is playing through episode content they've already completed, and stop sticking their noses where it doesn't belong.

If someone wants to finish the episodic content between weekly episodes, then just do that. Nobody is stopping anyone from rushing through everything. Just stop trying to dictate the pace for everyone else.

Lantheus
04-18-2013, 08:42 AM
I agree with Ceridwyn, the week to react to a Episode mission is to short. There are a lot of content that helps you experience the show and back story that is in these episode mission that can be longer then short week. To lose that experience because of RL items really sucks, I work and have to travel that takes me away from the house more then a week at a time. (Also I have purchased the season pass for the game.)

I missed the first Episode mission, but played it in BETA. I was going to do the mission but it was not available due to main mission which locked out other missions, which to me is a bug and should allow cross over. Which in the scope of the game created a barrier to finish. I think that many of the EMission should be left up longer to allow the individual time to do the mission get the back story and be able to enjoy the game.

To me the festivals events should have a time period, but mission that will enhance the Episode should be kept. Not only for the prolong game experience but the long term show experience.

Lantheus
04-18-2013, 08:50 AM
I think it would be great to have an episode guide menu, or run the Episode Mission in order and in the end tie it to the TV Episode so you can go back and watch. On the Episode mission you run it with the rare loot, then remove the rare loot and make a different loot available, then you are told to watch "Pilot Episode" to see the story tie in. The Episode mission should be left there in an order chain.

Kommissar Kaede
04-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Some of the people on the forum opposing these very reasonable requests are coming across as control freaks. They insist people play the game the way they want to play it, at the pace they want to set.. they need to understand this is not their personal single-player game. They're in an MMO and playing with hundreds of thousands of other players, and every one of them has the same expectations of having fun as they do. They need to focus more on their own gameplay experience, which is in no way impacted when someone else is playing through episode content they've already completed, and stop sticking their noses where it doesn't belong.

First, let me say, I understand what you want to do, but there are a few underlying reasons why I agree with the removal of content. If you would set aside your objections and attacks as you read, that would be greatly appreciated.

I think its important to ask first, why is Defiance an MMO? Seriously, why? Much of the game can be completed solo (especially if the encounters are balanced as such). The community interface is already pretty poor, enough to make it feel single-player. Cash-shops have been done with single-player games before (although not popular I guess, Dead Space 2 is an example). Limited co-op/multiplayer maps are already a part of the game.

Obviously security/cheat prevention/obfuscated DRM is a possible reason, but an always-online game can do that as well. So why didn't they just make a single-player game with episodic content releases, and just let you play each packaged set of content for each episode?

About the only idea that comes to my mind is that they wanted to make a world. They wanted a place where, while you are completing some random roadside emergency, another player can drive up alongside you and help out, or keep on driving. They wanted ark-falls to compel people to drive across the map and join in when they can. They wanted to create a sense that something is happening. And to some extent, without even bothering with considering the show, they have achieved this.

Now, next to this idea of making a world, is a desire to tie the game in with a now in-progress TV show. Whether it be marketing, or just a cool idea, this is a stated goal of the game. This is where we get the idea of episodic content from.

Deeper in this idea is that as the show moves on, the game world will change accordingly. Even further is that this occurs as the show is airing, or that, the show itself is a "living thing" alongside the game world. Both changing as a result of the other (and outside the actions of any single player).

It would not be a living world if things only changed as a result of only a players actions. Outside forces have to be considered as well. Otherwise, once again, why is this an MMO and not a single-player game?

Now, to address the desire of always having episodic content available, I think it is meaningful to recognize it may not always be a "mission." As we're seeing with the pilgrims, it may just be new emergencies. It may be new dynamic content. It may be highly inappropriate for said dynamic content to be present all the time (say an invasion force comes in one week and must be fought off by the players). Said episodic content could be quite meaningful to the tie-in (unlike how many consider the pilgrim emergencies right now). Even with phasing, there is not much of a good explanation to leave that content out there, just to make it accessible to all the players. And emergencies need to be spawned on the server end, not on the local client end.

My point is that a "living world" is a far superior form of content than any mere mission can ever provide. A living world provides a sense of community, a shared "I was there" feeling. yes, some will be left out, and turn some away, but an equal many will be drawn further in, wanting to be a part of the next big thing that happens.

Ultimately, this debate is pointless, there have been a few recent statements by devs stating a possible returning of said content. And this fine. This actually means that they realize that they cannot deliver on a truly "living world" experience, and as such, there is no point to withhold the content.

To me this doesn't mean the "other side" won, but rather that we've all lost.

TL;DR;
Hard to really say if you opted not to read it. I am trying to lay out the logic behind wanting to remove the episodic content as the new week comes (or rather when its appropriate to be removed), and show that it is not rooted in selfishness.

Markise
04-20-2013, 11:54 PM
First, let me say, I understand what you want to do, but there are a few underlying reasons why I agree with the removal of content. If you would set aside your objections and attacks as you read, that would be greatly appreciated.

I think its important to ask first, why is Defiance an MMO? Seriously, why? Much of the game can be completed solo (especially if the encounters are balanced as such). The community interface is already pretty poor, enough to make it feel single-player. Cash-shops have been done with single-player games before (although not popular I guess, Dead Space 2 is an example). Limited co-op/multiplayer maps are already a part of the game.

Obviously security/cheat prevention/obfuscated DRM is a possible reason, but an always-online game can do that as well. So why didn't they just make a single-player game with episodic content releases, and just let you play each packaged set of content for each episode?

About the only idea that comes to my mind is that they wanted to make a world. They wanted a place where, while you are completing some random roadside emergency, another player can drive up alongside you and help out, or keep on driving. They wanted ark-falls to compel people to drive across the map and join in when they can. They wanted to create a sense that something is happening. And to some extent, without even bothering with considering the show, they have achieved this.

Now, next to this idea of making a world, is a desire to tie the game in with a now in-progress TV show. Whether it be marketing, or just a cool idea, this is a stated goal of the game. This is where we get the idea of episodic content from.

Deeper in this idea is that as the show moves on, the game world will change accordingly. Even further is that this occurs as the show is airing, or that, the show itself is a "living thing" alongside the game world. Both changing as a result of the other (and outside the actions of any single player).

It would not be a living world if things only changed as a result of only a players actions. Outside forces have to be considered as well. Otherwise, once again, why is this an MMO and not a single-player game?

Now, to address the desire of always having episodic content available, I think it is meaningful to recognize it may not always be a "mission." As we're seeing with the pilgrims, it may just be new emergencies. It may be new dynamic content. It may be highly inappropriate for said dynamic content to be present all the time (say an invasion force comes in one week and must be fought off by the players). Said episodic content could be quite meaningful to the tie-in (unlike how many consider the pilgrim emergencies right now). Even with phasing, there is not much of a good explanation to leave that content out there, just to make it accessible to all the players. And emergencies need to be spawned on the server end, not on the local client end.

My point is that a "living world" is a far superior form of content than any mere mission can ever provide. A living world provides a sense of community, a shared "I was there" feeling. yes, some will be left out, and turn some away, but an equal many will be drawn further in, wanting to be a part of the next big thing that happens.

Ultimately, this debate is pointless, there have been a few recent statements by devs stating a possible returning of said content. And this fine. This actually means that they realize that they cannot deliver on a truly "living world" experience, and as such, there is no point to withhold the content.

To me this doesn't mean the "other side" won, but rather that we've all lost.

TL;DR;
Hard to really say if you opted not to read it. I am trying to lay out the logic behind wanting to remove the episodic content as the new week comes (or rather when its appropriate to be removed), and show that it is not rooted in selfishness.

This is the best response from anyone I've seen as to why episodic missions should stay.

RelativeBlue
04-20-2013, 11:58 PM
I like it as it is.
It's kind of a way to reward folks that came in the beginning and stayed with it.
Also we play the story as it progresses.
If you weren't here when it happened, you missed it.

The Penthouse Hustler
04-21-2013, 12:29 AM
I am glad they remove them.

This is like having the opportunity to accompany Nicholas Cage to find more national treasure, but you are lazy and don't make the effort to meet up with him, and then complain later when he and his team of people who participated are on the front page of every newspaper in the United States in front of a magical diamond statue depicting the Founding Fathers giving each other high fives and smoking cigars which turns water into gold bullion.

Chev
04-21-2013, 04:14 AM
I like it as it is.
It's kind of a way to reward folks that came in the beginning and stayed with it.
Also we play the story as it progresses.
If you weren't here when it happened, you missed it.

This is called greed. This is a bad thing, and I'm not here to hurt your feelings. Greed is not really a constructive way to defend your opinion.

There are several reasons to create a new character. These may or may not include:
- after you feel you got a grip on the game, learned all the basics and the controls you create a new character to really play it
- maybe that pink hair and badass tattoo wasn't a great idea afterall and you don't want to wait for a re-customisation option
- maybe 'Bob' wasn't the best name to pick for your character
- perhaps you're perfectionist and something about isn't right about your current character
- you gave up on waiting for the data recorder fixes
- whatever, feel free to add yours

See, I'm Iron Demon, Daredevil, I'm playing since day 1 hour 1 (not counting beta again). I did finish those missions in time, actually multiple times since I created several characters since release. But I also created new characters since they removed the episodic content, and I really miss them. I feel I was robbed of content and of fun. I understand that you really enjoy parading around your at-the-moment-unique outfit, but my 60 bucks worth just as much as your 60 bucks.
Just my two scrips.

Seraph_Knight777
04-21-2013, 04:48 AM
The episode missions are like special event quest you do in other mmos, so having them removed isn't really a bad thing. It'll be nice though if they added season one episode missions back once season two is out.

Chev
04-21-2013, 05:30 AM
The episode missions are like special event quest you do in other mmos, so having them removed isn't really a bad thing. It'll be nice though if they added season one episode missions back once season two is out.

Please don't mention other MMOs as examples. This is Defiance not other MMO. Murderers have had been granted freedom before, that doesn't justifies murder. Just look at the NA server issue we have today. Defiance is full of problems and severe issues at the moment, just another reason to the already long list why those missions shouldn't have been removed at all...

Seraph_Knight777
04-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Please don't mention other MMOs as examples. This is Defiance not other MMO. Murderers have had been granted freedom before, that doesn't justifies murder. Just look at the NA server issue we have today. Defiance is full of problems and severe issues at the moment, just another reason to the already long list why those missions shouldn't have been removed at all...

Holy **** dude, how did me describing the episodes mission are like special event mission got to murder?? Jezz. . .I didn't post my opinion to offend anyone, but apparently it did. o . O?

creepsley
04-21-2013, 06:23 AM
moosecena
I travel a lot as part of my job, and I can go 6-8 weeks or more without having much opportunity to play games. Will there be some way for me to re-visit the old episode content that I've missed while I was away from home? Thanks.
Oveur
Some of it yes but as there have been so many requests to not disable the content, we might simply leave it in. In many cases, it isn't disruptive to leave it in so we might do that.

Just so you know it, as you can read here they have already said that they might just never remove them now.

hugdealer
04-21-2013, 07:07 AM
i'm confused.

i did a few episode missions before episode 1 started,
then i hopped back on today (been busy) to do episode 2's missions.
but i don't even see an 'episode mission' icon on the map legend any longer.

any idea what the problem is?
did i miss week 2? i thought it went untill monday when it airs.

dirtyklingon
04-21-2013, 07:15 AM
i'm confused.

i did a few episode missions before episode 1 started,
then i hopped back on today (been busy) to do episode 2's missions.
but i don't even see an 'episode mission' icon on the map legend any longer.

any idea what the problem is?
did i miss week 2? i thought it went untill monday when it airs.

the postpilot episodic missions is just achivements(pursuits) coupled with dailies coupled with those latern things.

EPIC TV SHOW TIE INS.

creepsley
04-21-2013, 07:15 AM
there are no missions, only episode goals (press J and at the bottom you see them), hopefully we get some real missions after the next episode.

hugdealer
04-21-2013, 07:20 AM
hmm, yea those aren't half as cool as the first episode's actual mission with an outfit reward.

thanks for the info.

dirtyklingon
04-21-2013, 07:35 AM
i actually think the epsiode *mission* outfits are terrible. but the content itself was pretty good.

hugdealer
04-21-2013, 08:06 AM
yea i didn't like the outfit from the first one but it was a cool incentive to log in each week.
something to show off down the road when people give this game a chance on a sale or something.
or if i can convince friends to try it out someday.

it's sad so many people complained about it being on a timer. that's pretty common in mmo's.
just because you miss some item it's not going to break the game.
when everyone can get everything, kind of makes everyone look the same anyway.

Brynnza
04-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Wait hang on - what missions got removed?

Spoiler >>>> I did up until a certain somebody tricked me and I lost my shiny stick (avoiding as best I can for the wandering eyes there)

and haven't seen or heard from Nolan or that tw4t of a kid of his since, were they supposed to make a cameo after episode one aired on Televsion? Have I broken my game and don't get them?
Or do these timed missions only refer to those non story 'missions' in the achievments/journal page?

Ghost MLP
04-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Did a search for something else and this was the first post, so sorry if I'm digging up a dead horse, but just wanted to throw in my two cents. ^^;

With tying the game and show together, I viewed it more like certain quests played in the game would make results further explored in the show and certain events in the show would be further explored in the game. Removing them seems to dilute the concept. If you watch the show first and then played the game then playing the first episode mission would make you say, "Oh, that's what he had to go through to get that," and playing the game before watching the show (because you live in the dark ages and don't have a DVR or On Demand) you could watch it later and say, "Oh, that's what that quest was about."

If Nolan and Irisa are with you on the stratocarrier then they are in the bay area for you to play those first couple episode missions on each new character. Suffice to say, to help limit map clutter, you have to finish one episode mission to unlock the next, so any missions after Nolan and Irisa would have to have their parts finished so the "continuity" as it were is still in tact. All they need to do is number them. First missions would be "Episode 100" because it predates Season 1 Episode 1. Also, any pursuits (not quests) that can be done would unlock when you finish the episodic missions pre-dating them, in that way, making the event-specific emergencies on the rarer side would be more acceptable (still not too rare, don't want to be stuck on a pursuit because it's emergency only appears once in a blue moon when the planets are aligned :P).

What I considered to be the drive was that when watching the show you could possibly feel like you had a hand in an event playing (like helping Nolan in "what he had to go through to get that") as well as to space out a few missions to help keep a little content fresh and keep people coming back to the game.

Special events are one thing, and I can see a special mission NOT related to the show being available once and/or for a short time, but when they boast the integration of game and show and then remove the content from the game and barely make a reference about the game in the first episode, seems to completely defy everything that was promised.

Edit: I guess in a way that handful of episode missions in the game did play a large part in how the pilot 2 hours resulted, since if it wasn't for the actions you helped with in the game they wouldn't have had what they used to defeat the threat in the show. It would just be nice for late bloomers to have that chance to see the whole story. On the other hand, maybe they can release special edition features on the Season 1 DVD for those people who don't like shooters, MMO's or video games in general. But even for those who don't play the game, all shows have to start somewhere and it isn't uncommon for the opening scene to include items gained before the series started (usually explained in flash back episodes).

dirtyklingon
04-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Wait hang on - what missions got removed?

Spoiler >>>> I did up until a certain somebody tricked me and I lost my shiny stick (avoiding as best I can for the wandering eyes there)

and haven't seen or heard from Nolan or that tw4t of a kid of his since, were they supposed to make a cameo after episode one aired on Televsion? Have I broken my game and don't get them?
Or do these timed missions only refer to those non story 'missions' in the achievments/journal page?

there were two lines of story missions. the main game story and the episde missions iwth nolan and irissa.

teh latter was removed on teh basis that those characters are no longer in teh bay area but rather in st louis.

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-21-2013, 10:07 AM
there were two lines of story missions. the main game story and the episde missions iwth nolan and irissa.

teh latter was removed on teh basis that those characters are no longer in teh bay area but rather in st louis.

And thats one reason I was upset with when they removed it.They removed a piece of the story that actually connected the game to the show. By this logic, shouldn't they have removed the main story line as well instead of being able to repeat them? First off, you see Nolan and Irisa at the start of a new game, which took place before the series. Secondly the whole main missions, even though they don't revolve around any of the tv characters, still took place before the show as well. To be honest, I would not be upset if they removed the rewards and placed them with random gear boxes like they did with the repeatable main missions.

Chev
04-21-2013, 10:13 AM
They removed a piece of the story that actually connected the game to the show.

This. They removed the ONLY thing that actually connected the game to the show. Period.

khanstruct
04-21-2013, 10:21 AM
This. They removed the ONLY thing that actually connected the game to the show. Period.

They removed old content that connected to the show, which was no longer relevant... cuz the show continued to move those events forward. (Nolan can't steal the crystal from you anymore because, if you watched the show, he already had it in St. Louis and used it.)

They have now, added new content (the Episode Goals) in celebration of Armistice Day (as they mentioned in the show).

This is not a new thing. Most MMOs have timed events, such as holiday celebrations, that become irrelavent after a certain time. Would you seriously complain if you logged into WoW, and you were unable to go on their "easter egg hunt" from 2010 because you missed out on it?

The difference, of course, is that Trion is giving you new events every week.

creepsley
04-21-2013, 10:25 AM
well not that it matters as they have said those missions are coming back and they almost certainly will not remove content and add the old ones agin soon though. but if the idea was that it was removed cause they arent here anymore, then they really should change the tutorial too, cause well, They arent here anymore ;-)

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-21-2013, 10:29 AM
They removed old content that connected to the show, which was no longer relevant... cuz the show continued to move those events forward. (Nolan can't steal the crystal from you anymore because, if you watched the show, he already had it in St. Louis and used it.)

They have now, added new content (the Episode Goals) in celebration of Armistice Day (as they mentioned in the show).

This is not a new thing. Most MMOs have timed events, such as holiday celebrations, that become irrelavent after a certain time. Would you seriously complain if you logged into WoW, and you were unable to go on their "easter egg hunt" from 2010 because you missed out on it?

The difference, of course, is that Trion is giving you new events every week.

Two different things entirely, your comparing apples to oranges. Holiday events are yearly, meaning if you miss them this season, play them next season. There might be same or there might be new rewards, just have to wait and see. This however, they are being removed completely from the game, not a yearly event, gone, totally gone. And whats worst is these were key elements to the back story, and like I said, it was also the tie-in to the show.

khanstruct
04-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Two different things entirely, your comparing apples to oranges. Holiday events are yearly, meaning if you miss them this season, play them next season. There might be same or there might be new rewards, just have to wait and see. This however, they are being removed completely from the game, not a yearly event, gone, totally gone. And whats worst is these were key elements to the back story, and like I said, it was also the tie-in to the show.

First, if seasonal content has different goals, and offers different rewards, its not the same content. Yes, they have them every year. Defiance has them every week.

Second, no, it was not "key elements" to the backstory.

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-21-2013, 10:38 AM
First, if seasonal content has different goals, and offers different rewards, its not the same content. Yes, they have them every year. Defiance has them every week.

Well, since you brought it up a moment ago, lets take WoW's easter event, its the same yearly with maybe one or two new rewards, but mostly the same things as previous. Lets take their halloween even, its the same yearly, defeating the headless horseman and get rewards, yes the rewards changed a bit for higher levels, but you can still get the old rewards. Now to the "key elements" I beg to differ. They are key elements. In the show when Nolan shouts at the raider "Hey, do you know what I had to go through to get that?" He was reffering to the mission thats no longer available, so no, people who havent played the mission doesnt really know what the hell he went through.

Chev
04-21-2013, 10:44 AM

Would you name ANYTHING in the game (except the tutorial cutscene) that connects it to the show?
Can you name a single character in the game that also makes an appearance in the show?
Places? Items? Anythig?

That episode content was the only real content that connected the game to the show.
Following your example just remove the whole world map, cos the show takes place in Defiance and not in friggin San Fran.
Your example is just bad. Removing those missions was a bad decision and I will continue to complain in every friggin post until I got them back.

khanstruct
04-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Would you name ANYTHING in the game (except the tutorial cutscene) that connects it to the show?
Can you name a single character in the game that also makes an appearance in the show?
Places? Items? Anythig?

All of the alien species in the game are in the show. Ara Shondu and Varus have both been mentioned in the show. Oh and, you've only seen ONE EPISODE!

You people are so ridiculously spoiled. This is how the game is. It does what no other game has ever done. It follows, real time, with a television series. Sorry if that's not what you were expecting, but that's the way it is, and that's the way its been explained from the beginning.

Chev
04-21-2013, 11:13 AM
All of the alien species in the game are in the show. Ara Shondu and Varus have both been mentioned in the show. Oh and, you've only seen ONE EPISODE!

You people are so ridiculously spoiled. This is how the game is. It does what no other game has ever done. It follows, real time, with a television series. Sorry if that's not what you were expecting, but that's the way it is, and that's the way its been explained from the beginning.

Spoiler coming. Nolan will be called Chief Lawkeeper Nolan further on in the show. The next episode will still take place in Defiance aka St Louis. Nothing will connect the game to the show after EP2.
The name of Ara was mentioned in the chase scene and can be easily overlooked by most ppl.
That's the way it's been explained from the beginning? Really? Can you please quote some real material where Trion clearly explained 'in the beginning' that KEY episode content will be removed comletely from the game? Not to mention they were removed after 2 weeks of a terrrible and bug infested launch....
I think I have a serious reason to be ridiculously spoiled.

khanstruct
04-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Spoiler coming. Nolan will be called Chief Lawkeeper Nolan further on in the show. The next episode will still take place in Defiance aka St Louis. Nothing will connect the game to the show after EP2.

You do realize that the first episode also took place in St. Louis/Defiance, right?

I think I have a serious reason to be ridiculously spoiled.

http://upic.me/i/rw/1316713879_castle_reaction.gif

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-21-2013, 11:17 AM
I really want you to think about this before posting again, cause I want you to understand this. These are called "episode missions" so lets think of it like an episode on tv. Do you expect them to air the episode just once, and after that, if you missed it then screw you? No, some way, some how they will be replayed, either reruns, dvr or recorded, or even bought on a dvd. So why are episode missions different than that? Shouldn't they be replayable, or in other words "rerun"?

Eisberg
04-21-2013, 11:22 AM
There is zero harm in keeping the episode missions in the game. So why not keep them in the game?

You know that if they never talked about taking them away, that they just stayed in the game that nobody would be on these forums stating that episode missions should be gone after X amount of time.

khanstruct
04-21-2013, 11:22 AM
I really want you to think about this before posting again, cause I want you to understand this. These are called "episode missions" so lets think of it like an episode on tv. Do you expect them to air the episode just once, and after that, if you missed it then screw you? No, some way, some how they will be replayed, either reruns, dvr or recorded, or even bought on a dvd. So why are episode missions different than that? Shouldn't they be replayable, or in other words "rerun"?

And I want you to think about this before posting again. Its an MMO, not a tv show. An MMO is a persistent world that you share with thousands of other players. One day, you will be able to go buy Defiance on DVD and watch the episodes all you like. That has no effect on the other viewers, or the new episodes being aired. That argument is completely irrelevant.

Eisberg
04-21-2013, 11:27 AM
And I want you to think about this before posting again. Its an MMO, not a tv show. An MMO is a persistent world that you share with thousands of other players. One day, you will be able to go buy Defiance on DVD and watch the episodes all you like. That has no effect on the other viewers, or the new episodes being aired. That argument is completely irrelevant.

The episode missions staying in the game would also have no effect on other players or any new episode missions being added/

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-21-2013, 11:31 AM

Its an MMO, true, but its an MMO that is supposed to tie into the show, thats why its called "Episode Missions". They are supposed to be viewed as such.
One day, you will be able to go buy Defiance on DVD and watch the episodes all you like. That has no effect on the other viewers, Niether does leaving the episode missions in as well. You dont see the missions that I have, nor am I able to see the ones your on, so why not just leave them in to add to the story and the experiance of both the show and the game?

Selustra
04-21-2013, 11:32 AM
no matter what you say, if you start a new character YOU WILL ALWAYS BE BEHIND CURRENT EVENTS till you get done with the main missions in san fran. Stop defending Trion for this cause it makes absolutely no sense in a game that people enthuse for being the "Casual gamers" MMO when its removing content that has been in the game only for 2 weeks compared to other MMO's that removed content that was in the game for YEARS. if it was in the game for years i would understand but this is fresh new content that not everyone got to experience. Calling people spoiled when those people who didnt get to experience events cause of a job, cause of a war, cause of some Real Life event that caused them to not have access to the game is absolutely disrespectful to those who serve in the military, those who work their ***** off just to make a living. That is why people are leaving cause they are not able to actually enjoy the game when they actually are able to.

Chev
04-21-2013, 11:33 AM

You have a memory leak or something... What happened with the "It does what no other game has ever done. It follows, real time, with a television series." you said earlier? Now "Its an MMO, not a tv show."? I told you there is no real connection without the episode content and you tried to tell me there is.
Would you please stick to your statements?
And in what way would your game experience be hurt if we get back what we want?
Again, why the greed?

Chev
04-21-2013, 11:35 AM
no matter what you say, if you start a new character YOU WILL ALWAYS BE BEHIND CURRENT EVENTS till you get done with the main missions in san fran. Stop defending Trion for this cause it makes absolutely no sense in a game that people enthuse for being the "Casual gamers" MMO when its removing content that has been in the game only for 2 weeks compared to other MMO's that removed content that was in the game for YEARS. if it was in the game for years i would understand but this is fresh new content that not everyone got to experience. Calling people spoiled when those people who didnt get to experience events cause of a job, cause of a war, cause of some Real Life event that caused them to not have access to the game is absolutely disrespectful to those who serve in the military, those who work their ***** off just to make a living. That is why people are leaving cause they are not able to actually enjoy the game when they actually are able to.

Exactly! +1

khanstruct
04-21-2013, 11:38 AM
You have a memory leak or something... What happened with the "It does what no other game has ever done. It follows, real time, with a television series." you said earlier? Now "Its an MMO, not a tv show."? I told you there is no real connection without the episode content and you tried to tell me there is.
Would you please stick to your statements?
And in what way would your game experience be hurt if we get back what we want?
Again, why the greed?

Following a television series is not the same as being a television series. I'm not sitting in your living room saying, "let's watch episode one again!"

How am I being greedy?

Chev
04-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Following a television series is not the same as being a television series. I'm not sitting in your living room saying, "let's watch episode one again!"

How am I being greedy?

You are being greedy by telling us to swallow the fact that the episode missions got dumped.
Putting them back WOULD NOT hurt your gaming experience as you WOULD NOT even see them. (Since you completed them.)
So why the greed? Why are you defending Trion's decision in this matter?

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Its an MMO, not a tv show.

I can't get this one out of my head now. I've been doing alot of thinking and came to the conclusion of either your just another troll that should be ignored or that you never have played another MMO called Star Trek Online. The only reason I brought this up is because simply they have the same thing, they have episode missions thats replayable called rerun episodes, and each week or two they have a featured episode that gives bonus rewards, but only to those who play it, but that is beside the point. The point I am trying to make here is its pretty much the same thing that should be in effect here. They should have the missions repeatable. I think though I have made my point clear, I mean they already changed the legend on the map so you can click a few of those off so its not clutter already, perhaps they have listened to my other ideas and we might see the return of the episodes when season 1 of the show is done.

EDIT: I've of course been doing more thinking. Yes, I know even WoW had a limited one time only events, but those were meant to introduce huge chunks of new content, like the gate of Ahn Qiraj being opened, and having to fight off those huge forces, but removing content each week is pretty much just a waste of talent and time. I can understand if it was a huge event similar to the arkfalls where everyone gathered to beat off some huge looming threat, and afterwards it opened up new missions and other content, but this is just removing story because its "not current to the show". Well the only problem there is the main mission isn't current so there seems to be alot of contradictory between missions.

khanstruct
04-21-2013, 03:42 PM
I did play Star Trek Online. It was based on the television show, it didn't follow it.

Also, I'm a bit taken aback by your comment "maybe they'll listen to some of my other suggestions." Do you seriously believe that the developers are just doing what you say? You are one of hundreds of thousands of players.

Typically, they will follow their own plans and designs. On occasion (though not very often) they will take the feedback from a majority of players.

Now, I could possibly see them re-releasing episode missions between seasons as an option for players. This would give people something to do in their downtime.

EDIT: The "Main Missions" have nothing to do with the show. They run entirely on the game's schedule.

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-21-2013, 04:06 PM
I did play Star Trek Online. It was based on the television show, it didn't follow it.

Also, I'm a bit taken aback by your comment "maybe they'll listen to some of my other suggestions." Do you seriously believe that the developers are just doing what you say? You are one of hundreds of thousands of players.

Typically, they will follow their own plans and designs. On occasion (though not very often) they will take the feedback from a majority of players.

Now, I could possibly see them re-releasing episode missions between seasons as an option for players. This would give people something to do in their downtime.

EDIT: The "Main Missions" have nothing to do with the show. They run entirely on the game's schedule.

I didn't mean it like that, its just no one else that I noticed has mentioned it before, Im the only one at least on the forums that I've seen has mentioned it. As for the main mission, did you not watch the intro where you see Nolan and Irisa still on board the same ship you deploy from that starts the main missions? Which by the way is STILL THERE! Its a part of the lore, and is supposed to take place before Nolan and Irisa ever left San Francisco. It does co-exist with the show, it shows apart of the aftermath of the battle of Defiance. All you have been saying is nothing but contradicting your own self. First you said the show and game go hand in hand with each other, now your saying they are two different entities.

creepsley
04-21-2013, 04:28 PM
i almost feel ignored here :P since this discussion is still happening after they answered on the Q&A that they now are considering to just never remove thee episode missions anymore. they understand that some of us are mad and they listen and agrees that it wont hurt the game one bit to just let them be in the game and not remove them, can even find the source if you want :P

so we won and they will most likely come back and when they do they will never go away again.

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-21-2013, 04:36 PM
i almost feel ignored here :P since this discussion is still happening after they answered on the Q&A that they now are considering to just never remove thee episode missions anymore. they understand that some of us are mad and they listen and agrees that it wont hurt the game one bit to just let them be in the game and not remove them, can even find the source if you want :P

so we won and they will most likely come back and when they do they will never go away again.

I have seen a bit of the Q&A where they said something along the lines of they would consider bringing back the missions, but I am glad you brought it up, would love to see the source though if your able to find it again.

dirtyklingon
04-21-2013, 04:51 PM
yo bro, no one is sitting in your pc room telling you you have to do those missions again either.

Brynnza
04-21-2013, 11:24 PM
So what are the rewards that everyone missed, the Nolan/Irisa outfits from around episode mission 5-10? Or something else, im a completionist and that would peeve me off if it were something else that I missed during my 2 weeks away from this game waiting on them to fix cronkhite, missions and broken Coop maps.

Chev
04-21-2013, 11:29 PM
So what are the rewards that everyone missed, the Nolan/Irisa outfits from around episode mission 5-10? Or something else, im a completionist and that would peeve me off if it were something else that I missed during my 2 weeks away from this game waiting on them to fix cronkhite, missions and broken Coop maps.

2 outfits (Nolan and Irisa), a blue named SMG and a purple named AR.

Chev
04-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Something to look at
http://www.defiance.com/en/series/news/where-game-meets-show

Do you think SyFy even know that Trion removed the so called "Nolan, Irisa and the Crystal Caper" stuff already? And that was posted on the 15th...

Opetyr
04-22-2013, 02:39 AM
I think it should be available to everyone. The problem I'm having is some of the places I cant get to (aka San Francisco for one of the intels) so how is it fair that I can't because I'm trying to play every part of the game not like some people that blasted through content in 2 days? I have a life outside the game but still play quite a bit which is most mmos target audience aka have money to keep the game going.