PDA

View Full Version : Questions for our next Across the Badlands interview with Creative Lead, Bill Trost!

dahanese
04-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Hey guys,

Next week on our second episode of Across the Badlands I'm going to be interviewing Bill Trost from the Defiance dev team. I'll leave this thread open for the next 24-36 hours. If you have questions about what it's like to work on designing Defiance, Bill's your guy. Ask them here and I'll pick the best ones for the segment next Monday!

Note: please keep your questions on topic for Bill. There are plenty of threads to ask about everything else Defiance, but Bill's the Creative Lead of Design, so try and keep all your queries somewhat focused on his area o' expertise.

Second note: If you missed our first episode of Across the Badlands, you can check out the replay here: http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/c/2161552 We'll be broadcasting a new episode live every Monday after Defiance airs on Syfy.

Sull
04-17-2013, 09:43 AM
I'd like to know if there are any massive raid-type instances / co-ops that are currently in development. I do realize that arkfalls are probably considered raids in a sense, but curious if the dev team has plans for other large scale missions involving many players.

Myst
04-17-2013, 09:46 AM
May need to sticky this before it gets lost :P

I have a few and not sure if some are applicable for him?
1. What type of enemies if any will be introduced later on in the game?
2. Will there be instances of things we see in the show such as the arkfall in which Nolan and Irisa walked into it. Will we see something along those lines.

[edit]

3. Dirtbikes! Will we be seeing these somewhere down the line!?

dahanese
04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Remember not to just ask for new stuff/changes (that we might not be able to reveal yet.) This is your chance to pick the brain of a dev - be creative!

Yokai
04-17-2013, 09:48 AM
I'd like to know the designer's intent regarding the rate at which players should be able to acquire key codes for opening lockboxes with in-game resources. The recent nerf to emergencies whereby not a single emergency drops key code rewards any more is baffling to the myself and many other users. Does Trion _not_ want us to stop and enjoy emergencies?

On a similar vein, what do the designers think is the reason for players wanting to stop and participate in emergencies? If it's not for the chance of earning key codes, what, exactly?

IntenseSpirit
04-17-2013, 09:48 AM
I, as well as many other players, felt somewhat of a lessened opinion on Arkfalls in-game after seeing the show. Will there be any chance in the future of seeing dungeon-type Arkfall events?

DeMoted
04-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Where are the ****ing Synergy Mods!!!

Also will there be any different Ark falls or should I continue to repeat the same thing over and over and over and over.... Sorry I lost count how many Ark falls I did.

hardy83
04-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Are there any plans, currently, either a future expansion pack or DLC that we will be going to other areas. Not specifically Defiance, but other parts of the world that makes up the Defiance IP.

Like the Storm Divide, Timmins etc.

Nuggz
04-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Will there be any type of crafting or farming system. Ill be honest my missions are about done and they were quite boring. Chasing arkfalls is really losing its touch on me now as well. And with co op so fubard, starting to run out of reasons to play. I and many others want something to break things up a lil. Something that isnt drive to X hold x button kill 5 enemies, then repeat.

IntenseSpirit
04-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Are there any chances of seeing an urban environment in future content? It would be nice to have a break from the "wasteland" scene.

stragen001
04-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Regarding the new content that is supposed to be released after every episode airs, will there be further Episode Missions? The new content we got for Episode 1 is good, but I was expecting more missions.

I dont want details or spoilers, just to know if there will be any more of the excellent Episode Missions.

cfStatic
04-17-2013, 10:06 AM
How hard was it having to work within the constraints of TV? I heard that the alien races used to be more alien in nature but they had to become more humanoid to keep the cost down for the show.
--Is there anything you wish you could have done or gotten away with in regards to the way the races look?

mushinwolf
04-17-2013, 10:07 AM
How did they decide on the look/design of the various outfits, and anything he can say about upcoming outfits? :)

DeMoted
04-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Where are the Synergy Mods

Taaltos
04-17-2013, 10:12 AM
What was the work environment like during the week of launch and the morning of 'the big patch'.

Hochstetler
04-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Any plans for vehicle combat PvP ? Or maybe Death Race style time trials where you can shoot at other players driving? Heck, how about racing other people in general?

Rinkydink
04-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Hi there, I have a question about the story across the show and game:

-When Nolan is asked about what happened at the battle of Defiance in the premiere, I was pretty happy to know more from the game, and better understand his "it was what it was" answer. The story in the game presents pretty big info about what happened in the battle of Defiance, I was wondering how the creative process worked for putting crucial info in the game, and how it affects our experience of the show storyline.

Garu
04-17-2013, 10:21 AM
As the Creative Lead of Design how has his approach to the design of the game changed to how he would approach another project with the TV tie in and what aspects of this enhanced the game design that may not of been possible without the TV tie in.

GrayGhost79
04-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Edited because my question was not on topic for Bill.

DeMoted
04-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Where are the Synergy Mods?

xxh3llchildxx
04-17-2013, 10:35 AM
I am wondering when if we are gonna get more enemies and variants. I would like to see more divervese creatures flying enimies etc. The ark fall question early too hit it on the head. They are starting to be bland and boring a dungon style or more complex arkfall would be sweet as well as maybe a PvP arkfall I get pissed at people just driving trucks in circles... Maybe mark them as enemy and blow up there roller. Then something else is clan benifits or leveling. Growing your clan ranking it getting clan unlocks faster speed clan bank clan challenges etc n then crafting that would be cool make your own **** from scratch. Clan vs clan open world PvP. Clan gear so much possibility. Clan goals and pursuits to rank it. I would love that more then anything. Last question. All main missions n side missions complete yes now its replayable but do we have to wait for dlc or will they extend ares add new threats etc. That's it for now I gotta get back to work

Garu
04-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Another question:)

Might not be able to answer it but here goes.

When designing the game what was the three main goals you wanted to hit (not be succesful be fun etc) i mean actual goals you would of put down and said to yourself this is what we need to achieve, and then have you achieved these goals currently?

IntenseSpirit
04-17-2013, 10:39 AM
What kind of sadism went into the invention of the Dark Matter Bulwark?

DeMoted
04-17-2013, 10:40 AM

Mrgrim
04-17-2013, 10:43 AM
The don't want real questions so don't waste your time. No one is going to take more than a softball
in this case. If its a live show take live questions via skype, phone, twitter ect.

Wynce
04-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Did you ever imagine that everyone would start calling a nano type "PoopShoes"?

Cynical Jester
04-17-2013, 10:46 AM
I would like to know the direction of PvP and the play-style they are aiming for as their seems to be a lot of discrepancy among many threads.

Right now it seems as though it is meant to be fast paced. (Quake, UT Style etc..) but some perks suggest more co-operative military style play (Battlefield, Arma, Etc.. )

How does Mr. Trost feel about shotguns and cloak as it seems to be a hot topic. Does he feel they are on par with the other Weapons/Powers or are their changes in the work due to the data they are gathering or whatever it may be.

Can we expect to see more content like the prequel missions that will go along with the show as many are worried all we'll get is these pursuits every week and are afraid the DLC content will only be maybe an hours worth of go here press a key, disable a turret, end of dlc etc...

I understood the DLC to be more of New races / weapons / vehicles etc.. vs actual missions. From what I understand the new content such as missions will become available as the show airs and we get to certain points in the show beyond just the standard weekly missions (For free). Is this assumption correct?

Thank you for your time, an excellent game and show.

One last question: Do they plan to add more graphics options for PC users? Getting rid of the fog would be a blessing. Being the minority I don't expect this any time soon.. But any plans at all for 3D vision, even if its the last thing on the list?

Also: I don't expect all this to be answered but any of it would be great!

Ticon
04-17-2013, 10:51 AM
are we gonna see alaska?

will they implement mini bosses during the bigger arcfall events?

bring on more races to play- will we be able to buy a race change ticket? on a current character.

L8dybug
04-17-2013, 10:52 AM
I would like to see more Arkhunter codes. I have all 120 of them, but I still find myself checking out every 6 digit code in-game, on ads, videos, and especially while watching the premiere. It's sort of like an Easter egg hunt, ya know? I think it would be a really cool way to keep gamers glued to not only the show, but also ANYTHING to do with Defiance. It has made me actually watch EVERY commercial, the making of Defiance, etc... instead of just fast forwarding on my DVR! Also, PLEASE, some info on the PS3 patch. I have no missions left to do....���� Will Ps3 users ever get to be in "real-time" as far as the episode missions/TV show experience goes?

Merrin Nightbringer
04-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Strictly from a creative standpoint, do you feel as though you were limited in terms of design because the game is multi-platform?

What type of changes, if any, would you have introduced had the game been like Trion's previous success (Rift), and been strictly PC-platformed?

Cynical Jester
04-17-2013, 10:54 AM
bring on more races to play- will we be able to buy a race change ticket? on a current character.

I was also wondering this... I'm not much of one to roll more than one toon on any game and would hate to start all over for a race change.. seems kind of redundant and pointless. Not to say I would want to change it at all, but you never know... I think this would be a great feature.

Skeptic
04-17-2013, 10:56 AM
I would like to know what type of progression we as players can expect to see both in the near future and far future, is the game by design planned to be non-linear progression, or there later plans for a more definite style of progression?

Lazerus
04-17-2013, 10:57 AM
I have a few questions too

- weapons: when will we see the charge rifle? what kind of weapons do you have on your list for the future?
- vehicles: will we get bigger ones with more seats? (maybe clan based?) will there be a mech-type vehicle?
- environment: will we see urban terrain? fighting in a city in buildings or on the roofs of old skyscrapers would be nice
- PVP: will we get something like clan PVP? a strategic map with different zones to attack/defend would be realy nice.

Cynical Jester
04-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Strictly from a creative standpoint, do you feel as though you were limited in terms of design because the game is multi-platform?

What type of changes, if any, would you have introduced had the game been like Trion's previous success (Rift), and been strictly PC-platformed?

Very good questions imo

Torber Sane
04-17-2013, 10:59 AM
I don't know if this has been asked before.

How did you guys decide to form the terrain?

And if that has been asked before, why is fast travel setup as convenient as it is?

Badblade
04-17-2013, 11:00 AM
1. Exactly how flexible is the game for developers to modify and improve. PVP is an important pert of the game, especially for the hungrier gamers that exhaust the PVE content quickly, and currently, the PVP experience needs love. Halo hopping, Shotguns, spawning behind enemy lines. Is PVP seen as a priority?

2. The costs in the Bits shop are bit wild. Can we expect more content and better pricing?

3. What volume of new content can we expect weekly? Please be specific? Will this continue to flow even after the season run?

4. Missions are largely fetch quests. A solid, simple mechanic with that click and hold... but are there plans to be a bit more creative with quests?

5. There seems like a LARGE amount of EGO points on a character compared to the EGO grid. Will there be other applications for EGO points?

UberNinja
04-17-2013, 11:00 AM
When you complete the Main story line you receive the option to restart.

Do you receive a special title or better rewards for completing the story line over again?

Nightlistic
04-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Would it be possible in the future to add outfits to the supply merchants or lock box shop and letting us use resources like you do with lock boxes to purchase them?

Cynical Jester
04-17-2013, 11:13 AM
When you complete the Main story line you receive the option to restart.

Do you receive a special title or better rewards for completing the story line over again?

Have you guys considered making difficulty levels for once you complete it on "normal"?..

I think difficulty levels would work well in this game for both re-playable missions and co-op missions, if you already had a group set up(Clan Members, Friends), otherwise you'd just go into the normal queue... Thoughts?

Edit: Difficulty level names: Relaxed, Normal, Hard, Suicide! (Just my 2 cents).

666typhus666
04-17-2013, 11:17 AM
could Racing-perhaps 6-10 player races in the game similar to Burnout with the chance to win decals/stickers/custom paint jobs a race from one starter to another?

also perhaps a chance to craft your own weapons/outfits in the game?

Arsenic_Touch
04-17-2013, 11:19 AM
could Racing-perhaps 6-10 player races in the game similar to Burnout with the chance to win decals/stickers/custom paint jobs a race from one starter to another?

also perhaps a chance to craft your own weapons/outfits in the game?

They need to have death race style races, I mean the cars on death race would fit perfect in defiance.
Crafting is definitely needed.

Cynical Jester
04-17-2013, 11:21 AM
They need to have death race style races, I mean the cars on death race would fit perfect in defiance.
Crafting is definitely needed.

Hadn't even thought of that.. But wow.. what an excellent idea even if it took a year to implement. Should make this a detailed suggestion in the suggestion forum... I'd sign it! <--- Like that matters but yea.. =p

Arsenic_Touch
04-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Hadn't even thought of that.. But wow.. what an excellent idea even if it took a year to implement. Should make this a detailed suggestion in the suggestion forum... I'd sign it! <--- Like that matters but yea.. =p

It wouldn't even be out of the lore. I mean you got spirit riders and raiders, instead of racing other ark hunters, we're racing raiders and spirit riders for the arkfall loot. There is zero vehicle combat in the open world, it needs to change. and the vehicle combat in shadow war is pretty lackluster.

Cynical Jester
04-17-2013, 11:27 AM
It wouldn't even be out of the lore. I mean you got spirit riders and raiders, instead of racing other ark hunters, we're racing raiders and spirit riders for the arkfall loot. There is zero vehicle combat in the open world, it needs to change. and the vehicle combat in shadow war is pretty lackluster.

^this 100%. I often find myself at a disadvantage when I meet the one vehicle per team by myself and our vehicle is off somewhere attempting to do doughnuts. I really think they either need to remove that one vehicle or add more... Not sure.. could just be me..

Edit post: Mini gun or rocket launchers or something on my atv.. ok.. sign me up.. Otherwise.. I'm sticking to the no vehicle maps.

Could be some of the problem with people not wanting to queue for Shadow Wars.. not sure really..

Note: Hope our conversation isn't to inappropriate here but to add a question for the Mr. Trost:

Is their any type of talk or plans to add in vehicle combat as we have been discussing?

Edit 2: **Somewhat of a spoiler if you haven't seen the show** I think what Arsenic_Touch said is even more appropriate due to the scene towards the end of the show where the raiders drive through... Even if its only the ability to shoot our weapons from the cars or the passengers or bikers etc.... it would be something and cool to boot.

Dagbiker
04-17-2013, 11:27 AM
I would like to know, what you are struggling with, or perhaps if you are not telling us certain things for a reason, (IE certification process ) then I would like to know that, for future reference.
Although hopefully you guys, will be able to learned from this situation.

Also I would like to know what you have learned from the past 2 weeks. I know putting a game out on 3 different systems, all using different programing techniques, and all having different system requirements must be hard in of its self. But then trying to update it weekly, and all three must be a nightmare.

I would also like to hear what your plans are for the future, and reason behind some of the changes to the game. Such as your playing around with the Keys, I can guess that its to make colored guns more rare. But I can only guess.

Also on a side note, I think the mods should be more visible, I do not know if the current mods work at Trion, or are just volunteers. But so far they are doing a great job holding down the fort. I just think that they need more help, and more information.

Shogo_Yahagi
04-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Games like Saints Row managed to provide players with a range of voice options to cover a much greater range of character designs than Defiance supports. Given that our character does speak in emotes, why was the decision made for them not to speak in the cut scenes? Surely it can't be immersion, because it would be very difficult indeed to find a voice actor so bad that it would be as jarring as the current setup. At some point, very early in the story mode, it just starts to seem a little ridiculous that they have nothing at all to say about the events unfolding around them.

Thrix2013
04-17-2013, 11:29 AM
How do you go about getting the third arkfall code and so forth?

EdgeTW
04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
I would like to hear from the creative lead of design on why he feels it's acceptable to design episode-tie-in content that makes the assumption players have already obtained access to San Francisco just two weeks after launch.

I am, of course, referring to this week's episode content that must be completed by April 22nd, which requires players to adventure into San Francisco - an area that can only be accessed after completing a majority of the main storyline. We are still fresh on the heels of launch and this, to me, seems like a poorly thought out decision, and so I'm curious as to his reasoning behind it as a designer.

You can word it in whatever way sounds most pleasant.. just as long as the meat of the question remains intact. The gist is that we're being told to play the game and watch the show to get the "complete Defiance experience", and yet the episode content is being designed and delivered in a way that makes it incredibly difficult for even semi-casual players to keep up. Since he is the creative lead in design, I would think he has some thoughts on this.

Although why he can't just come to the forum and explain sooner rather than later, I don't really understand. If he really wants to answer some questions there's no shortage of them here.

Cynical Jester
04-17-2013, 11:37 AM
I would like to hear from the creative lead of design on why he feels it's acceptable to design episode-tie-in content that makes the assumption players have already obtained access to San Francisco just two weeks after launch.

I am, of course, referring to this week's episode content that must be completed by April 22nd, which requires players to adventure into San Francisco - an area that can only be accessed after completing a majority of the main storyline. We are still fresh on the heels of launch and this, to me, seems like a poorly thought out decision, and so I'm curious as to his reasoning behind it as a designer.

You can word it in whatever way sounds most pleasant.. just as long as the meat of the question remains intact. The gist is that we're being told to play the game and watch the show to get the "complete Defiance experience", and yet the episode content is being designed in a way that makes it incredibly difficult for even semi-casual players to keep up.

Woo Boy.. Edge is here to get the thread locked.. I'm outie...

Kriegson
04-17-2013, 11:37 AM
It seems many players have noted the disatisfying climax of arkfalls and the strange disconnect between what Arkhunters do in theory (Salvage parts of arktec that fall from the arkbelt) and what they do in game (destroy a crystal or boss and get rewards on a popup screen).

Are there any plans to improve the experience of arkfalls, debateably one of the core elements of the game?

Shogo_Yahagi
04-17-2013, 11:40 AM
As a follow up to Kriegson's question, given that the arkfalls are supposed to be parts of Votan spaceships that broke up in orbit, what is the deal with all of the crystals? We've seen the Votan arks. They're not made of crystal.

MrCowman
04-17-2013, 11:41 AM
What was it like designing San Francisco? What gave you the ideas to turn a massive city into this unrecognizable wasteland we see in the game today?

Cynical Jester
04-17-2013, 11:41 AM
It seems many players have noted the disatisfying climax of arkfalls and the strange disconnect between what Arkhunters do in theory (Salvage parts of arktec that fall from the arkbelt) and what they do in game (destroy a crystal or boss and get rewards on a popup screen).

Are there any plans to improve the experience of arkfalls, debateably one of the core elements of the game?

As a follow up to Kriegson's question, given that the arkfalls are supposed to be parts of Votan spaceships that broke up in orbit, what is the deal with all of the crystals? We've seen the Votan arks. They're not made of crystal.

Honestly, I was a bit confused by this as well but have just been letting it go... However, it really is confusing... Ark falls are supposed to be the ships falling to earth that got destroyed during the pale wars (I believe) due to a catastrophic event.

Yet in game the ark falls are always related to one of the type of mobs like Hellbugs for instance... It just doesn't make sense to me why hellbugs are falling from the sky... Did the arks contain hellbugs, mutants etc...?

I love the game, I love the show.. But this one thing has really been bothering me as far as lore....

EdgeTW
04-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Woo Boy.. Edge is here to get the thread locked.. I'm outie...

Nah, it's a legitimate question for a designer. It doesn't have to be worded that way when it's presented to him. I leave that up to whoever asks it. I just want to make sure the question is understood.

IGN
04-17-2013, 11:42 AM
I would like to know when we will see weather effects that impact gameplay, you know like what was promised to us in a developer video.

How about a UI that lets us salvage more than one item at a time?

Viibl
04-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi -

Few questions, thanks for the consideration:

1) Any planned improvements to the UI? The salvage interface, for example, is extremely click-intensive and is frequently used.

2) Do you see the game going more pop or going darker? I'd love more grit in the world. Blood and mud, as they say.

3) What's the vision for more interaction between players in a meta-game context?

4) I'm a perfect fit for the UX Designer position you guys have posted; you should consider me!

Jerzy
04-17-2013, 12:00 PM
When designing the bay area what was the most important feeling you wanted to convey for the different areas and how did you feel was the best way to accomplish that.

DeMoted
04-17-2013, 12:05 PM

Thunderclap
04-17-2013, 12:16 PM
I would like to know when we will see weather effects that impact gameplay, you know like what was promised to us in a developer video.

How about a UI that lets us salvage more than one item at a time?
You mean like Razor rain?

WrathPhoenix
04-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Hey guys,

Next week on our second episode of Across the Badlands I'm going to be interviewing Bill Trost from the Defiance dev team. I'll leave this thread open for the next 24-36 hours. If you have questions about what it's like to work on designing Defiance, Bill's your guy. Ask them here and I'll pick the best ones for the segment next Monday!

Note: please keep your questions on topic for Bill. There are plenty of threads to ask about everything else Defiance, but Bill's the Creative Lead of Design, so try and keep all your queries somewhat focused on his area o' expertise.

Second note: If you missed our first episode of Across the Badlands, you can check out the replay here: http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/c/2161552 We'll be broadcasting a new episode live every Monday after Defiance airs on Syfy.

I would like to ask what inspired the design decision behind making the game location San Francisco while the TV Show was based on St. Louis. And What inspirations were used for the flora and fauna behind this location?

Taaltos
04-17-2013, 12:29 PM
You mean like Razor rain?

Could be like WoW. Gotta have special gear to enter the area i.e. Training for Cold Weather mounts?

*shrug* I'll fight some sum*****es in some razor rain.

Thunderclap
04-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Ok, 1) will we get fonts to use like these?http://static.ow.ly/photos/normal/1zppk.jpg
2) why was this: http://gyazo.com/6db9aaf402dae0957de945f89290f78c.png?1366226804
hand drawn rather than using an outline taken from Google earth and edited? (i wanted to overlay it so I could generate a lost of lost cities
Any issues surrounding Fan fiction, character backgrounds, unique ideas (like a city hidden from everything now) created by us?
When can we buy Hellbug Plushies? (and now Pows. A stuffed Pow would be cute.)
Can the rez time of a vehicle be doubled, for those of us who have issues with getting to it in time?
And finally what area of the game to you all think is the most broken right now?

Ovid
04-17-2013, 12:59 PM
First off, why is there multiple posts asking about synergy mods? They are out there, so why they deserve a question, I have no idea.

but onto questions.

1. Do you guys actually read this forum? What's your criteria for picking questions? Do you only pick softball questions? And are you guys time limited during broadcast? I mean, even if you just picked questions at random, and the answer was "i'd rather not say", it'd still be better than picking softball questions. And I kinda wish Greg was the one picking questions. No offense to his boss, but Greg's a good sport and fairly entertaining. Plus, he can't make us piss off his boss by spamming the twitch channel :)

2. Actual Defiance Question: Will there be new perks and/or new abilities in the future? I made a thread talking about how making a sword a perk would be viable (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?39565-Idea-Reward-Perk-quot-Sword-of-a-Genocidal-SOB-quot&p=357076#post357076), and was wondering if there might be new ones in the future.

3. I agree with my fellow arkhunters about both arkfalls and the need for crafting. We need new ark falls and a crafting system. May I have your thoughts on a suggestion? What about making Arkfalls give item components which could then be made by crafting into useable items?
And speaking of arkfalls, is there a chance of changing the render for ark falls? Even if you don't make the dungeon ark falls player want, you could just reskin the crystals into the scrapper minor arkfall crystal, which is really a giant mess of slagged metals fused together, which would make a lot more lore sense than the crystal design.

4. What was the thought process behind the enemy selection and design process? Why mutants, raiders, 99ers, scrappers, and dark matter? I'd add hell bugs to the list, but hellbugs are awesome. Annoying, but awesome.

5. If you could change one element/area/aspect of the game, what would it be?

6. Do you interact with the TV guys on a regular basis? If so, what's it like? Do you get to chat with the actors? Is there any chance of the game studio guys getting any cameo roles on the show? :D

7. Do you wish you could drive the Defiance Challenger? I do :)

Final Note: I seriously hope the next Badlands episode is longer than the last one, I hope for a much longer question answering section.

Happy Arkhunting! And good luck with your PoopShoes! (Someone is gonna make a fan shirt with a witty phrase involving poopshoes, I know it. lol)

Taaltos
04-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Speaking form a design stand-point, is it possible with the future of the game for Teraforming to happen again?

I know with the Main Story there was the threat of Teraforming, as far as dynamic content and updates, is this something that we as players will experience? Failing in the 'bigger picture' mission storyline and having someone screw up our world and the way we thought the story arc was going? Some darker storylines that include tragedy instead of always happy go lucky success through quests.

Honved
04-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Why on earth do rockets on a direct hit do so little damage compared to shotguns?
Will there be patches that actually address player issues? (pursuits broken before the patches, competitive pursuits resetting, common bugs and glitches.)
Can we expect more vehicle type without being let down?
Can we expect more weapon types?
What was your favorite part of making this game?
Will clans be getting bunkers/ private hubs?
Can we get the option to design a clan outfit?
Can we have shadow wars away from the pve environment?
Clan wars. Not a question lol.
For the love of all the jekking scrip when can I play an Indogene?!?!

P4NCH0theD0G
04-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Question:

Is there a War coming?

As in, will the player be able - for a set amount of time, like a month or three - to join one of several Factions, and - in PvP and PvE - determine the lay or even the laws of the land? Something like Shadow War, but where results actively change the game world, i.e. Factions controlling certain territories, raids on Faction Strongholds (automatic PvP Faction vs Faction areas), PvP to fight for control of certain areas, Area bonuses for members of the controlling faction, NPC hostility against members of faction outside their faction territories, etc.

Thee Apothecary
04-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Is there species of Votan's you had wanted to have in there but couldnt due to the cost of making them reality ? and if so what where they called ?

MacDeath
04-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Hi Bill, what are your plans to enhancement 'crafting' in Defiance? Will we be able to craft unique weapons someday? How about outfits and headgear?

Amnesia
04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Where are the Synergy Mods?Enough already.

Armitage
04-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Two-part'er:
What design elements of the show's St. Louis/Defiance area were/are you dying to incorporate, use as inspiration or outright "appropriate" for incorporation into the game's SF area?
And:
Is there _any_ chance at all that we'll have an expanded "Crater Bar"? The patio is a nice touch - and I don't really mind the absence of a chat distraction when I'm hunting - but I really find myself wanting a physical, social hub where I can chat, trade and/or compete. Submitted for your approval: For-scrip, Castithan hold'em mini-games and "Irathient Darts": Two players, each against opposing 'dart boards'...object is to embed a series of thrown knives in graduating scoring zones as close to their person as possible, without hitting them and thereby automatically losing. Highest score after five knives wins.

Arsenic_Touch
04-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Forgot to add some questions.

1. Is there any chance of the developers expanding the NPC content throughout the world? you see people standing around at the fast travel locations but they don't say anything, they barely do anything. You should make it so these random people are the ones that hand out the contracts. When you rescue someone in an emergency, their dialogue is just bland as hell. They should be more randomized and in depth, they should sometimes give a special item or something, also make the emergencies possible to fail, like the person dies. Plus there are people just standing by the vehicles all over the place in the world not doing anything, they need something to do.

2. Is there any chance that the developers will actually add a player hub (a town) of some sorts where everyone can gather and and trade and chat. (this would also require you to fix the chat system that you still haven't fixed on the pc, global chat, chat bubbles, et cetera) This also means disabling the shard system so we can actually see everyone we're playing with. Should set up a district type system like they had in guild wars where you can choose your district when you're at the hub, that way you can gather with your friends and clanmates easier.

3. Is there any chance that the arkfalls are going to actually look like they do in the tv show? the trailer that you had at the end of the live stream kind of hinted at this, but it looked more like a bunch of cut scenes and not actual game play.

4. Any chance for adding destructive parts and non static elements to the environment. Like shooting part of a building and it falls on the enemy, or trees breaking when you crash into them.

4a. Where are the weather effects that have been shown in developer videos? and are there any plans to expand on the environment in this sense?

5. Will there be any cerberus type vehicles in the open world, like the trailers show? if so, are there any plans for vehicle type content outside of shadow war? being ambushed by raiders driving a dune buggy with a machine gun ontop would make the game better.

ovarunity
04-17-2013, 03:18 PM
1) Currently all the pve content bosses can be defeated with any BMG gun and no perks at level 250 ego including the three phases of the hardest boss in the game was this intentional .?

2) Since there is nothing in the game that requires any perks or powerful weapons to complete what is the intended design as regard to players wanting to improve their character ,give a reason why players would hunt for better weapons .

3) Given that all group content can be done with no voice or text chat meaning no co-ordination what is the intended mmo portion suppose to be .

4) How do you intend to keep players in game going forward with no challenge that requires improvement to your character or weaponry ?

5) Are you happy that the game was released before your content was fully functional and server stability was causing constant crashes ?

6) Do you feel that the 8 pages of fixes to bring the game to a playable release standard should have been advertised as a major game update that coincided with the shows release. were there was no additional episode or story content added was a little misleading .

7) In the lead up to the last livestream we were teased that we would not want to miss the first episode of the badlands livestream as they were going to be revealing something they had never done before and Elizabeth was quite nervous about .I watched the show did the big reveal /surprise not make it into that episode.? if it did could you point it out .

8) With the big build up to the 15th april 8 page patch did you anticipate adding a couple of pursuits and the ability to light laterns would cause a little disappointment to players ?

Thank you hope this weeks episode shines some light on the mmo aspect of the game design .

Nerdy Ryuu
04-17-2013, 05:50 PM
When is the Xbox version going get the servers unlocked ? There was no mention of the servers being locked on the box. I expected the game to have open servers like the rest of the games on Xbox. Anyway sleg said will be in a upcoming patch. when will this patch be coming ?

CrazyKimie
04-17-2013, 05:55 PM
When will the region lock patch arrive? There's been no update since Sledgehammer said that the unlock would be coming in an upcoming patch, but when will that patch arrive? Would like an update please.

Emo Panther
04-17-2013, 06:02 PM
I got one.
I was reading some of the lore, and read that because of the Terra-forming incident, many bizarre hybrids of Earth/Votan animals were introduced. And some were so horribly altered that they're original species was unknown, Hellbugs being the best Example.

My question is, Will we ever see any of these animal species in-game, either as random encounters, missions, pets or what have you. That furry spider/wolf/bear thing from the First Tv episode was pretty neat.

Dirt Nap
04-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Why are there not more hellbugs?

ten4
04-17-2013, 06:05 PM
I'd would like to know when this game will be out of beta?

Ok, more serious: when is actual content going to be added? Simplistic grind orientated episode missions do not count.

Anyways, look forward to you avoiding the real questions.

KashraFall
04-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Are you going to add anything else to be done with salvage? Salvage is mixed pieces of deconstructed tech. Why are we not able to reassemble it into something different? Perhaps weapon mods if not weapons themselves?

0_d4RK_FaLLen
04-17-2013, 06:17 PM
how much content is currently missing and or not working. know about freight yard but get feeling there is more that was supposed to be in end game

Vylent
04-17-2013, 06:34 PM
What is your opinion on the lack of difficulty throughout the game? A few examples... Bosses seem way easy, pick up timer seems way to long, and the truckload of ammo everyone seems to carry around with them.

One more question. The world seems like it should be open pvp.... was this ever talked about? is there any chance we could get a large area of land( island/continent ) that is set to have pvp always on?

Malachi
04-17-2013, 07:02 PM
What are the future plans for Guild/Clans?

Is player housing a possibility in the future?

Crafting? ;)

Gemmick
04-17-2013, 07:13 PM
What's with the giant bird behind you(i think it's you) in the last Across the Badlands?
Instead of a static background/ambient can we get skitterlings running all over the place?
Maybe skitterlings vs. mongrels on a screen behind the guys. :)

Valethar
04-17-2013, 07:18 PM
What gave you the inspiration for the various vehicles. I see the dodge logo quite a bit, even on some of the Quads. Was this something they approached you with, or did you actively seek some sort of sponsor partnership with them for Defiance?

I'd also like to know what the design/thought process behind the look of the Challenger/Charger was. They definitely have that 'Mad Max' sort of look to them. Was this intentional, or just a happy coincidence?

Valethar
04-17-2013, 07:24 PM
I am, of course, referring to this week's episode content that must be completed by April 22nd, which requires players to adventure into San Francisco - an area that can only be accessed after completing a majority of the main storyline.

You can actually get there right after you leave the tutorial. All you need to do is have someone in your clan or on your friends list be there and use the built in 'travel to friend' feature. Once you do this, you can pick up the beacon at the Overpass and travel there as often as you like while taking your time with the story missions.

Dancer
04-17-2013, 07:43 PM
I have a question for Defiance's lore keeper. What is Hawaii like now along with the rest of the world.

I think this would make a great site blog where he could from time to time post information and maps about the rest of world from the Defiance point of view.

Cyripax NeoPrime
04-17-2013, 08:44 PM
I would like to know if they have any intent on refining the sorting options in the items/inventory menu. Its currently time consuming to find what your looking for without some sort of designation systm where you can mark your favorite weapons or designate items as trash. Now im aware that borderlands has spoiled some of us in this sense, but its a pretty basic feature when you have an inventory that can hold 50+ items. Im a bit shocked they overlooked this in testing. Its not game breaking no, but it would be nice. I know they have basic sorting features like grouping the types together, and you can scroll through and see which weapons youve been using by looking at the exp bar, but when you have so many items with the prefix VBI, or VOT, etc, and your in the heat of battle, it can mean death trying to change weapons. And takes some time when selling at vendors.

Also I would like to know if you ever thought of going another route with the infector nerf. Like maybe just redacting its homing capabilities instead of dumbing down an already underpowered weapon into a cosmetic novelty item? I know the pvp side of it needed the nerf, but the infectors in pve werent worth anything as it was, now theres just no point in having them in the game. Even though they were my favorite guns I NEVER used them because they were so underpowered to say the least. I wished I couldve used my cool looking sporeshot, but the homing radius wasnt as good as ppl think. You had to aim super close to get it to even home on a target,and even then youd have to unload a whole ,clip, reload and hit em a few more times for bugs to even hatch. By then the other 3 baddies shooting at you would kill ya dead. They were useless against mobs and stronger enemies. The damage on a single shot was only 4. Not much. Theyre a novelty gun, thats all. R.i.p. Infectors

Could it be possible in the future to seperate Pvp And PvE weapon stats? Like rift so to speak.

And do you guys ever have DEV PLAY days where fans can form groups with the devs and play the game alongside your brilliant minds for a truly awesome gameplay session with voice chat so we can grind and.pick your minds. I know theres thousands maybe even millions of us, but there could be a queue or list we can sign up for and when our numbers up jump into a group play with you guys/gals? I think itd be a good way for you guys to get feedback and pick our minds as well

L8dybug
04-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Also, I was wondering if there is website or anything official where players can go to recruit or join clans. I am new to MMO's in general so the idea of clans is something I'm only vaguely familiar with. Is there somewhere I can go to meet up with other players who are forming clans?

L8dybug
04-17-2013, 10:48 PM
They actually did that yesterday, I think.

UKresistance
04-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Someone should ask him this question.

Who thought no instructions was a good idea?

EdgeTW
04-17-2013, 10:58 PM
You can actually get there right after you leave the tutorial. All you need to do is have someone in your clan or on your friends list be there and use the built in 'travel to friend' feature. Once you do this, you can pick up the beacon at the Overpass and travel there as often as you like while taking your time with the story missions.

Unfortunately, part of the requirement is finishing a dungeon, which requires progress through the main storyline to unlock. No?

PseudoCool
04-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Unfortunately, part of the requirement is finishing a dungeon, which requires progress through the main storyline to unlock. No?

Nope.. just found this out tonight by doing so with a friend of mine.. zipped right to him down in the middle of SF while he was looking for Pilgrims.. and I haven't even finished Jackleg yet ( I could have, but I've been tinkering). It is possible.. for now.

PseudoCool
04-17-2013, 11:12 PM
I've got a couple of questions...

1: What did you and the rest of your design team use as inspiration for the look and mentality of the base races in Defiance?

2: What are the possibilities of getting crafting to make mods, eventually leading up to synergy mods? Was this discussed and discarded previously, and if so.. why?

3: When we get the new race, will we also get the option for melee weapons (knives, clubs, staff) to add into our existing load outs?

EdgeTW
04-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Nope.. just found this out tonight by doing so with a friend of mine.. zipped right to him down in the middle of SF while he was looking for Pilgrims.. and I haven't even finished Jackleg yet ( I could have, but I've been tinkering). It is possible.. for now.

No, no. What I'm saying one of the Episode 2 requirements is to complete a co-op map that is obviously not available to newer characters (in response to the comment that the content is open to anyone who has just left the tutorial).

Cyripax NeoPrime
04-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Also what would you guys think of having an Episode Mission Menu. Where newcomers to.the game can choose which episode missions will be available on thier map such as Episode1, episode 2, etc.... This way no one has to miss out on any of the story just because they werent there from the beginning. You could make them available as solo play only after the air date , that way they would not clash with the live world co-op of the mmo. Or you can make them available as offline download experiences where the rewards are removed just so new ppl can play them and the ppl that did play them on time still get thier incentives for staying current and keeping up. or as others suggested have them all available mid season? At the least relese the cutscenes to watch in game so no one misses any of the awesome story. Because for a game thats main Selling point is that it coincides with a tv show and vice versa, in my opinion the episode missions are far more important and relevant than any of the storys main missions or side mission(and those will be replayable) . . .the biggest thing you can do to turn ppl away from this game is taking away parts of the MAIN viewing audiences storyline or the mostly relevant parts of the storyline to the lore of what defiane is and will be to the player base/audience tht is in majority aware of the scope of wht trion Is trying to accomplish here or what the hardcore fans hope you will deliver. then youll just be left with the ppl who pick up the game, play the main story and side quests and trade it in for thier next big game before it loses it value. Im just sayin dont punish newcomers. Completely removing chunks of storyline is awful. I could see if this was like other mmos holiday events that really dont effect the story of the world. But this info is vital to the way ppl invest in your game and in the world of Defiance!

Think about it.

Hexi
04-18-2013, 12:34 AM
What will the new Species be? It would be really nice to know so those of us hoping for Castithan can either wait for it or keep playing.

Schwa
04-18-2013, 05:44 AM
I love how the game is relatively flat gear-wise throughout the game, but progression through gear's replacement (player skill) plateaus at an intermediate point. Thus, I don't give a damn about the mod system since it's simply not necessary for any instanced content or world content. This is worrisome, since I'm not the biggest baddest MLG shooter-hero on the planet-- I'm just an average guy.

As this isn't a stat progression-based game, in the sense Rift is based on stat progression, why does the skill required for content end so early, and so abruptly? There's a skill progression from mutants to raiders to 99ers to Dark Matter, but Dark Matter is only an intermediate level of difficulty. All instances are fairly weak difficulty-wise, to the point where many players are only using them to level the weaker weapons. (Hello, infector spam.)

I'd just like to know why the decision was made to ship the game with an unfinished design. I understand the story not being complete, but I don't understand skill progression meeting such an abrupt, unsatisfying end. Things may improve in the future, but after the full breadth of content I experienced in Rift from launch (expert dungeons, Greenscale) I had every reason to expect higher quality from Trion with Defiance.

As we have been told repeatedly the game and TV series can each stand on their own, the game shipping with an unfinished design is contrary to the standard should expect from Trion and what we have been told about Defiance.

^^Totally not getting asked, they only asked the softballest of the softballs last week lol

OutHouse
04-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Any plans for changing up especially for consoles? System is very aggravating

OutHouse
04-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Also... Hardcore mode for P v P? Maybe no shields? Hardcore instances as end game content with better loot? Force ppl to use tactics more then get close shotgun pew pew.

Evilution
04-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Can I have a pow launcher for it's pure epicness :p

Lol jk (well not really), anyway my question is will we ever get to see defiance and if not, will we ever get to go or have a town in game.

ovarunity
04-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Trion r Made Rift so they know what elements are involved in an mmo .

What as a designer is the mmo game portion of defiance since there is no traditional end game .

Derity
04-18-2013, 04:22 PM
I highly doubt in my question being answered, but I'll try anyway...

My Long Question. Please ask him it, and please read it to him word for word:

My question is on Item Progression.

I understand that this design decision was made originally to keep all players on the same playing field, but a large majority of players all agree that true item progression would greatly improve Defiance as a whole. I also participated in the Beta and going from Beta to Full Release, this was always an often brought up subject on the forums and between players, that was apparently going to be revised in the full release of the game, but no noticeable changes were made.

Having used the same equipment for over 2000 Levels, the current system left me feeling like there is nothing to ever "look forward to", in terms of equipment and leveling up, from early on in the game, throughout.

During the Beta why was the decision made to not include true item progression into the full release version and will there be any chance of improvement to the system in the future?

Knight776
04-18-2013, 04:25 PM
I know that some dev teams use brainstorming sessions to generate content ideas, some of which are outlandish and could never be implemented as well as some that sound really, really cool but would be extremely difficult to integrate into the game. What were a couple of those ideas that sounded good at the beginning but we probably won't see? Anything that you and your team would like to see implemented someday when you have the time and resources to do so, but will probably be a few years down the road?

Cynical Jester
04-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Have you guys considered things like PunkBuster to combat the cheating?

Sanguinesun
04-20-2013, 11:15 AM
The game touts itself as being transmedia with its tv show tie in's; however the transmedia aspect of this does not seem to be as innovative and engaging for the players as it could have been. In conjunction with the above, the social aspect of the game lacks severely in the "innovation" its transmedia concept.

My question then is:

What would you have liked to envision as being optimal for the transmedia immersion to this project in contrast to what is currently implemented in social and most other aspects?

Warkaiser
04-20-2013, 11:38 AM
I have 2 questions:

I would like to know if there are any plans, if not concrete plans at least some consideration being given, for more meaningful PvP, especilly for clans. By that I mean something that will actually have a somewhat lasting impact on the game / world rather than just PvP seperated from the rest of the world and only really impacting the people in that particular match at that moment. Things like conquerable towns / bases that clans can gain possession of and fight over and having possession of that town allowing clans to affect other players at least in some small way.

For example, ownership of a town allows you to determine things such as what types of vendors are available and the things that they offer. Perhaps even allow them to create their own custom list of "Specials" which appear for sale to all players.

My 2nd question: Again concerning clans. Are there any plans to provide more purpose to being in and developing / contributing to a clan. Things such as clan levels / ranks with the ability to unlock some sort of rewards such as additional boosts / perks, custom outfits, vehicles, anything along those lines really that would allow you to represent your clan aside from just the tag over your head.

DejaVooDoo
04-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Who is he?
(the guy with the reflective vest and grey beard north of Overpass)

Era
04-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Why did you scale enemy health and not enemy numbers or a combination of both? Any event with a large group becomes harmless because the enemies can only target so many players at once. This is especially prevalent at Arkfalls which should feel more dangerous not less than say a story mission.