PDA

View Full Version : What were your expectations when you purchased the game?

RLStroud
04-17-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm just curious as to what everyone was expecting when they bought the game.

Were you a long time MMO player expecting big groups, a big time loot grind and farming for XP? A Borderlands player expecting something similar but in 3rd person and with more people? Just figured I'd ask because a lot of the people who seem dissatisfied with the game had some very specific expectations about things coming in, and that seems to be why they don't like it.

I'm not saying it's bad to have expectations about anything or that's anyone was wrong for having them. I'm just curious more than anything.

As for me:

I had none. I had 0 interest in the game but decided to try and get in on the beta since a buddy of mine got a code. I got in and found out I actually enjoyed it, so then I went out and bought the game on release with no real expectations other than something to screw around on and just have a good time doing whatever. I've been very pleased so far with the game, but like I said, I had no real expectations coming in, which I think makes it easier to have fun with something.

bigstack1980
04-17-2013, 12:39 PM
I wanted and expected a borderland-ish game focused heavily on weapons with large scale battles for console. This is different and I have excepted that.

Keltic Rage
04-17-2013, 12:42 PM
I expected a free to play MMO shooter. Wasn't sure what that meant? It was my birthday, I was drunk, and I was at Target. Never would have bought this game otherwise before at least watching the show or speaking to someone else that had it. I am very glad that I did, I Love it.

SteveMND
04-17-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm just curious as to what everyone was expecting when they bought the game.

Honestly, I didn't have expectations, per se, because I researched the game before, got in on the Alpha and Beta to see what it was like, etc.

I had some expectations about the game genre and the way they are trying to do the game/show, tho. I was of two minds with the concept, because on the plus side, it's Trion, and I'd been pleased with the way they handled Rift. On the downside, it was SyFy, which hasn't been the same since around the time they embarrassingly changed their name in an attempt to alienate their core marketing block. But, on the plus side, one of the writers from Farscape was involved, so that was a plus. Downside, it's still SyFy. And also on the downside, it's SyFy.

As to the game itself, I wasn't a big shooter fan, but I got in on the Alpha (for a little bit) and then the Betas, so I assumed that would be exactly what we would be getting upon release (and I was pretty much spot on). It had a lot of issues still, but the core gameplay was enjoyable enough for me I felt like I could spend the bucks on it.

Having been through more than one previous MMO launch, I was expecting issues and problems on the game at launch day, like 95% of other games do; I took off a day from work to play around on it, but made sure I took the day after launch day off, since I knew that the actual launch day would be plagued with issues.

Overall, I got what was advertised, and they are slowly working on correcting the issues. Since release, I feel like I've gotten my sixty buck's worth of entertainment out of it, so I'm content. I also happen to be on PC, which means that I didn't have to deal with the problems PS3 and Xbox are having, but well, those systems have their own problems, so...

Silverbluetree
04-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Personally, I expected a real MMO - not a quasi solo player multi user environment. Sure there are some things that are multi player, but forcing soloing is ridiculous.

Also, I expected a lot more involvement with the show. I watched a whole episode on G4 about how the game and the show would interact, how the game would be able to change things within the show and I thought that would be something if they could pull it off.

Obviously, they can't even get the game stable let alone influence the show or make it completely multi-player.

Very disappointed myself.

The Notorious Crunchwrap
04-17-2013, 12:46 PM
I was expecting more of PSU sort of environment at first. At least I thought the I game community would be more responsive. Thoroughly disappointed about that one

Draaconis
04-17-2013, 12:47 PM
A futuristic fps version of Rift and that's what I got.

Keltic Rage
04-17-2013, 12:50 PM
I was expecting more of PSU sort of environment at first. At least I thought the I game community would be more responsive. Thoroughly disappointed about that one

Have you seen the community involved with this game? Check the forums. Not sure if I could stand it if they were much more involved.

bleh
04-17-2013, 01:10 PM
I own an old laptop so PC gaming has never been my thing and I've never gotten to play an MMO even though they are up my alley (usually fantasy or sci-fi). Plus it seems peoples PC's/hardware are out of date for the latest games in like 6 months.

So I was expecting a full on MMO. Kinda okay on that front I guess although I wish I could get the in-game chat channels (said for like the 6th time) to work. No they arn't muted. I once last night got a static type sound maybe someone trying to area chat? EVen when I use the in-game keyboard, my comments don't see to pop up and nobody responds.

So from that side, seems kind of weak. Thank God for XBL parties with friends who play. Also kind of a pain having maximum 4 people per in-game parties when you want to all roll together.

I was also disappointed a bit to find the races/classes mean nothing towards your characters except for starting gear.

Apart from that, combat is pretty tight and fun. I don't even mind the repeatitive nature of the quests and I actually enjoy the 4 wheelers more than the Charger or dune buggy. The small bonuses for weapons/synergies etc definitely point towards needing to collect and put time into building great weapons where the bonuses all stack as well.

Although people have complained about the lack of level scaling, I kinda like it so that you can help newer players and still get decent experience and the new players can join you on Arkfalls and are not at a severe disadvantage.

Don't really care about the TV show or the gimmick of linking the 2 with events between each other, although if each week of the TV show brings new in-game quests...that's cool.

GodsofGravy
04-17-2013, 01:13 PM
A working final product