PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get Flashbang grenades?

Tilarta
04-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I keep checking the Top Notch Toolworks vendor, but they only offer Frag grenades.

The other vendors I checked are even more useless, they either want reputation (and a lot of it!) or don't have any grenades at all.

Is there a reliable source of Flashbang grenades?

Mr JtowN
04-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Honestly the best way I know to get a flash bang is by going around and killing whether it be through quest, missions, or just to shoot something. You will eventually find one dropped by a monster that was killed by you. Hell if you asked a random person if they had one to spare, I personally would give you all that are in my inventory since I don't use them.

Jestunhi
04-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Arkfalls tend to give grenades / shields for loot rewards. In fact many people are saying that is all they give.

Of course random mobs drop them too.

Tilarta
04-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Reliable source = not via drop!

Has to be a vendor.

Besides, I don't really like the arkfalls, events have never been my thing.

Checked a few more, still only frag grenades.

Only one type of grenade?
That's oddly consistent!

Matala
04-17-2013, 04:41 PM
I usually get frag/flash/bio grenades from Arkfalls and T3 lock boxes. It's a waste to get T4 drop boxes atm.

Mr JtowN
04-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Reliable source = not via drop!

It's not a reliable source, but you will definitely get one somewhere in your drops. I've gotten 8-9 flash grenades after an hour of grinding along with shields and shotguns and the once in a while sniper rifle.

Has to be a vendor.

Why does it have to be a vendor? I can understand if you're talking about the special vendors where they have high specs at the price of scrip and their unique tokens. If you grind around for a while you will find things that also have high specs with good traits. Only other way I know of getting good stuff is rewards through mission/quest.

Vyshan
04-17-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm fairly sure vendors "only" sell frags.

dirtyklingon
04-17-2013, 04:46 PM
i just vendored like 10 of them i got from doing a mission with a lot of enemies attacking.

Ensu
04-17-2013, 05:06 PM
(Major) Arkfalls seem to be the best place for me to get grenades and shields.

Tilarta
04-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Why does it have to be a vendor?

Effiency.

According to the notes on this freaking annoying mission I'm stuck on (it's a main mission), you need a flashbang to pass it.

I just want to buy the grenade and then go to the mission, considering I'll probably spend a lot of time in there (I've wasted a lot of time in there already!).

I don't want to extend that time by chasing arkfalls and mobs around the map.

And judging from the Top Notch Toolworks vendor, I should not buy those kind of grenades.
There is a flash type grenade there, but it also electrocutes as well.
Since I will be dropping the grenade more or less right where I'm standing, I'm thinking electrocuting myself is not a good idea in pitched battle......

Who's stupid idea was it to make the grenades damage the person who throws them?

Also, I don't have any of these "allegiance points" the vendors refers to.
I don't even know where to get them.

Ensu
04-17-2013, 06:38 PM
I didn't use a flashbang at all on this playthrough (just finished the sidemissions and final mission today).

So I'm not sure why you think you need one.

Which mission are you on? Maybe we'll be able to suggest another method of completing it.

creepsley
04-17-2013, 08:04 PM
must say i really love the flashbangs, its nothing thats more fun then finding a large group throw one in and go crazy with a submachine gun, when your close to dying pop the stealth behind some cover and kill of the few stragglers ^^

Embril
04-17-2013, 08:32 PM
According to the notes on this freaking annoying mission I'm stuck on (it's a main mission), you need a flashbang to pass it.

You don't need flashbangs to complete any of the missions. I've done them all and have never even equipped one before.

mikegonzalez2k
04-17-2013, 08:43 PM
I always seem to get them from Arkfalls or CO OP maps after completion.
In fact I always vendor them. I prefer the ones that surge for the stunning effect. Blinding is mostly only useful in PvP.

malaclypse
04-17-2013, 08:47 PM
short answer is that there isn't a vendor option. arcfalls are usually green or blue, but really that's a couple points difference, like everything else you sacrifice a goat to the RNG gods and hope for the best. stay flexible, if you set your heart on that one special drop you're never going to see it.

I'm interested in what the mission is as well, i haven't run down everything since launch, but there was nothing in earlier builds that forced a specific weapon or damage type on you for missions.

PseudoCool
04-17-2013, 08:55 PM
If you find you need them, look me up in game.. I'm CONSTANTLY trashing the things out of inventory, either for resources or scrip. I get them ALL the time, it's like their sniffing my scent or something..lol

IGN: PseudoCool

cypheon
04-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Effiency.

Who's stupid idea was it to make the grenades damage the person who throws them?

Also, I don't have any of these "allegiance points" the vendors refers to.
I don't even know where to get them.

1) you're playing a random loot game... "efficiency" is best had by mass slaughter, thus, arkfalls. you may not like it, but some times ya gotta grin and bear it.

2) uhm.. you mean being hurt by an explosion you caused is new to you? it's been around since Doom 1, on pc. other than it's realistic, it also gives you an option of suiciding yourself if you get stuck inside a piece of terrain (there's no equivalent to /stuck in defiance).

3) daily / repeatable quest rewards associated with that vendor. dunno if you can get them from other sources yet, though.

Cutlass Jack
04-17-2013, 09:04 PM
I never ran into a main mission that needed a flashbang, but I absolutely got one as a reward from a Main Mission.

I've been getting them as drops a decent amount since passing 250 ego too. My favorite type of grenade currently.

Senel
04-17-2013, 09:34 PM
I often just find them off regular mobs but major arkfalls tend to spam nades as rewards. I got some purple flashbangs i'll never use but holding on to trade or sell for something someday got em from am major arkfall.

Also along with everyone else here i've never come across a mission that requires a specific type of weapon without providing it such as the sniper challenges, etc.

Tilarta
04-18-2013, 05:12 PM
I won't name the mission, because I'm getting irritated with the pros saying "it's easy, we beat it on first try".

But suffice it to say, it makes this mission easier if you throw a flashbang at a specific enemy, it sets them on fire (I think their weapon backfires), which is the goal of the mission.
I don't know from practical experience, not ever having a flashbang to try it with!

I've only played two games that use a grenade mechanic (Mass Effect and Borderlands).
And to the best of my knowledge, throwing a grenade at your feet doesn't harm you.

This is especially true in Borderlands, since you throw a "fountain grenade" at your feet and it harms everything except friendlies!

But since Defiance grenades harm you, I can only throw them at range, when I'm certain I won't be caught in the explosion.

And since said mission has the enemy charging at you from pointblank range in a small room (which you are locked in, so you can't leave), tossing a fire grenade in the general area is a recipe for death!
I only have a firegrenade, that's all I've got.

Cyripax NeoPrime
04-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Dude I get sooooo many I sell 20 of em a day. And ive gotten some good blue ones from arkfalls, fashcharges either 22 or 24 w's

Ensu
04-18-2013, 05:44 PM
I won't name the mission, because I'm getting irritated with the pros saying "it's easy, we beat it on first try".

But suffice it to say, it makes this mission easier if you throw a flashbang at a specific enemy, it sets them on fire (I think their weapon backfires), which is the goal of the mission.
I don't know from practical experience, not ever having a flashbang to try it with!

I've only played two games that use a grenade mechanic (Mass Effect and Borderlands).
And to the best of my knowledge, throwing a grenade at your feet doesn't harm you.

This is especially true in Borderlands, since you throw a "fountain grenade" at your feet and it harms everything except friendlies!

But since Defiance grenades harm you, I can only throw them at range, when I'm certain I won't be caught in the explosion.

And since said mission has the enemy charging at you from pointblank range in a small room (which you are locked in, so you can't leave), tossing a fire grenade in the general area is a recipe for death!
I only have a firegrenade, that's all I've got.

Try this thread (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?42211-Trion-Worlds-I-Challenge-You). Every tactic for that particular mission is discussed.

malaclypse
04-18-2013, 07:38 PM
lmao, as soon as you mentioned the flamers i knew which mission you meant. you don't need a flashbang.

Tilarta
04-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Heh, and I didn't even name the enemy!
I was very careful not to specify what I was fighting.

And I seriously doubt tactics is the problem here.
If it was that simple, I'd have beaten it on the 2nd or 3rd try, since I had the solution to the problem within a day.

Hence why I'm looking for the flashbang grenade, seeing as everything else failed, the only thing left is to try the one thing I didn't!

cypheon
04-18-2013, 09:22 PM
except[/B] friendlies!

yes and no. in both borderlands, and borderlands 2, you are partially correct. your grenades do not harm other friendlies. however, you do still hurt yourself with grenades. in both games, on all play throughs, and in all the dlc currently release. unless you're using transfusion because they don't actually explode.

i can't speak to mass effect as i played the first one for a day, and returned it to the store. not picked up any of them since.

as for this specific game, you have people posting that they are selling 10+ to vendors on a daily/nightly basis... PM one of them and offer to buy one for double what the vendor offers, then go play havoc with the flamerthrower.

though you could also try using decoy/cloak, and a really good, fast firing, high damage weapon, then just respec back to whatever you normally use once mission is complete.

Tilarta
04-19-2013, 02:58 AM
Are you sure about the Borderlands grenades?

Granted, I've only used the Transfusion grenades, but I did use a preorder one a few times, it fires up into the air and carpet bombs the area below it, including the spot where I'm standing. And I never noticed any damage from it.

My major problem is with the enemies I need to set on fire, they just die.
If I'm lucky enough to knock them down, as soon as I shoot them in the back, they get dead.

Hence why I am investigating this strategy, I'm looking for a way to set them on fire without actually shooting or touching them, because they're just going to die otherwise.

I'm really missing my flamethrower!

For context, my first mmo had a class built around AOE and their signature weapon was a flamethrower.
But apparently, no other mmo has ever included this weapon.

I'm wishing that's what I had here, just spray a cone of fire in front of me as the enemy charges, set them on fire and goal achieved.

Strontium Dog
04-19-2013, 04:07 AM
A Guaranteed way of getting grenades is just to do one damage to a mob in an major arkfall then drive on. Each time rewards with grenades and shields. You'll have a purple flashbang really soon.Once you have one they don't change much just slightly different duration or refresh.

Neural
04-19-2013, 11:25 AM
All you need if you don't have a flash bang is any weapon with an electric elemental proc to it. Same thing.

Shima
04-19-2013, 11:28 AM
I have yet to equip a flashbang grenade and I've gone through the story mission twice and done all the side missions.

That said, best way is via loot. I can't tell you how many I've vendored or salvaged.

malaclypse
04-19-2013, 11:29 AM
All you need if you don't have a flash bang is any weapon with an electric elemental proc to it. Same thing.

i'm nearly certain i've seen them go up from explosive dmg via a detonator as well- but i can't remember if the detonator had an elemental proc onit or not.

Facade
04-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Punch flamer
2 shots in the gas tank
Laugh while he screams in pain and runs into the gas tank

Tilarta
04-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Can we please stay on topic?

This is exactly why I didn't wish to identify the mission, because over 10 posts describing exactly the same tactic is not helpful.

Especially since they fail to read the they die when I shoot them in the back part of the post.

No idea why that is.
But I have to work around it, hence needing a way to light them on fire without a gun or a punch to face.

cypheon
04-19-2013, 07:07 PM
borderlands: my love of close proximity explosives has made me the bane of my playgroups existence, often times they just leave me to bleed out after i blow myself up with either a grenade or a rocket launcher. meanwhile i'm laughing myself stupid over it.

defiance: "set them on fire without a gun" ... er... well... get really good at rolling away status effects and just use an incendiary, never stop rolling? doubt that'll be reliable enough though. could buy a really low damage weapon, and use cloak/decoy to hit the bits you need.

and yes, i know you were talking about star wars galaxies. people used to pay me for grinding their commando's in the Warrens ages ago. hehehe.

Ensu
04-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Can we please stay on topic?

This is exactly why I didn't wish to identify the mission, because over 10 posts describing exactly the same tactic is not helpful.

Especially since they fail to read the they die when I shoot them in the back part of the post.

No idea why that is.
But I have to work around it, hence needing a way to light them on fire without a gun or a punch to face.

Use a gun with lower crit damage?

If they're just spinning in circles and detonating every time you shoot them with any weapon, that's a bug. File a bug report.

darknessjw
04-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Today i got my first flash granade. Its neat :)

SuperBean
04-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Whats your' ego level? (others or myself may have a flash grenade that is your' level)
What server do you play on? us or Eu?

That being said, when you shoot them in the back, do not use:
a. Shotgun
B. Sawed-off Shotgun
c. Combat shotgun
d. Any variation of 'shotgun

i had trouble at first because of using a shotgun (best weapon for the entire 'mission' till then)
I ended up using some random White assault rifle i had picked up.

Super easy strat that you can do now:
Kill the adds
melee the flamer when he comes to you
switch to bullet using weapon (smg, pistol, ar, lmg, sniper rifle) shoot him in the orange highlighted tank till you see a flame jet out of it.
Duck in cover, wait for him to blow up boss,
shoot boss
repeat five more times :p

darknessjw
04-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Me?

Got them around 250 EGO
EU PC