PDA

View Full Version : 99ers in the TV show?

Kitten Mittons
04-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Dunno if this would be more appropriate under the Story and Lore section, but general is for EVERYTHING so whatever.

Anyway, anyone who watched the show after playing the game probably caught the part where, during her speech, the Mayor referred to the 99ers getting up to no good near the town of Defiance. My question is this: If the 99ers originated in Frisco (as the data recorders would lead us to believe), how are they all the way out in St. Louis collapsing mine tunnels?
It is possible for an organization to have a presence over a large area, obviously, but I never really got the impression (from the game) that the 99ers had any sort of big ambitions or circumstances that would lead them to expand so far. I mean...they're mostly just violent psychos ('cept Pete, don't call him that!).

Don't get me wrong, I'd like the 99ers to have a presence in the show. In fact, I would probably say they're my favorite enemy faction, but can anyone weigh in on why they would even be there?

SaintRaze
04-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Dunno if this would be more appropriate under the Story and Lore section, but general is for EVERYTHING so whatever.

Anyway, anyone who watched the show after playing the game probably caught the part where, during her speech, the Mayor referred to the 99ers getting up to no good near the town of Defiance. My question is this: If the 99ers originated in Frisco (as the data recorders would lead us to believe), how are they all the way out in St. Louis collapsing mine tunnels?
It is possible for an organization to have a presence over a large area, obviously, but I never really got the impression (from the game) that the 99ers had any sort of big ambitions or circumstances that would lead them to expand so far. I mean...they're mostly just violent psychos ('cept Pete, don't call him that!).

Don't get me wrong, I'd like the 99ers to have a presence in the show. In fact, I would probably say they're my favorite enemy faction, but can anyone weigh in on why they would even be there?

Cyborgs, man. I bet they made some superlegs and just sprint across the Western stated all the time, lol

DeMoted
04-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Well I have no idea.

Drakeos99
04-17-2013, 06:53 PM
All this didnt happen AFTER teraspire (remeber)

Ikagawa
04-17-2013, 06:55 PM
They could be like gangs we have now. They start in a central location (San Francisco) and they just make new chapters that branch outwards.

It doesn't necessarily mean they're particularly ambitious enough to lead a countrywide mayhem tour, but just enough to not want to be under the heel of another gang member for the rest of their life.

Malachi
04-17-2013, 06:57 PM
I agree with Ikagawa, it's probably like a gang thing. The 'bloods' and the 'crips' aren't actually a huge organization, they just have idiots that start up a group of thugs and start calling themselves by those gang names. The 99ers probably did the same thing. The ones in the show are probably crazy miners that heard of the original 99ers and decided to do the same thing. Not organized but still the same enemy.

Jack Johnson
04-17-2013, 06:58 PM
There's gulanite there. 99ers want gulanite. Seems fairly obvious to me.

And yeah, I like the 99ers too. Most fleshed out enemy faction gameplay-wise IMO. I feel like many of the other factions could be buffed out a little with one or two more units to make them comparable to the 99ers.

Aternak
04-17-2013, 06:59 PM
That's what puzzled me as well. Seemed like someone wanted a reference to the game and just threw in something and that was 99ers.

Chaskcryaotic
04-17-2013, 07:07 PM
The 99ers are a huge miners guild that spread from san fran to the outskirts of texas you must also remember they capture bystanders and turn them into mindless cyborg miners as well

SlashZaku
04-17-2013, 07:17 PM
The 99ers are a huge miners guild that spread from san fran to the outskirts of texas you must also remember they capture bystanders and turn them into mindless cyborg miners as wellSo...someone from St. Louis may have been captured in other 99er territory and when he was brought into the fold, the 99ers as a whole gained knowledge of the mines near Defiance and probably dispatched a group there to take/mine the area (capturing and building their numbers on the way).

Or just as easily, they've crafted/have something that can scan entire areas and sent out 99ers to scout areas for mines and report back with the locations leading to larger 99er parties being dispatched to those found mines.

Honestly, there just seems to be a lot of ways they can go about it.

Sanguinesun
04-17-2013, 08:10 PM
The "fight" speech by the mayor mentions that the town's mine had a section that was collapsed by the 99ers that took 6 of a man's crew with it. Pretty sure you'll see 99ers in the show.

99ers are not specific only to the Bay area. They just simply started out there.