PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Events...what would you like to see?

Cyber
06-06-2012, 05:55 PM
So let's talk about dynamic events. It seems pretty clear from the information on the main site about the "Arkfall" events that Defiance will use a random event system similar to the rifts in Rift. The Arkfall events will provide a challenging situation for players to tackle and will be rewarded in some way for successfully completing the event.

Any thoughts about this out there? In particular:
For those that played Rift, how did you like the rift events? Did they work well?
What suggestions would you make for the Defiance events?
If the events are ignored should there be negative consequences?

I rather liked the invasion random event I saw at PAX Prime last year in Firefall. Alien ships appear above part of the world (even a city) and start dropping in, requiring players to battle back and repel them. Similar events were seen in Tabula Rasa, and not repelling the invaders meant losing control of an area. Guild Wars 2 also use a type of dynamic event with negative consequences, although it the case of GW2 the location isn't random.

In any case...thoughts?

fuzzynaru
06-06-2012, 05:58 PM
I thought the rift events worked well (but that was the beta so i dont know) they were pretty fun

Cyber
06-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Yeah I was in the Rift beta too (but didn't play it after launch) and for the most part they seemed enjoyable, although at one point they seemed so frequent that it kind of got old quickly, and many players started ignoring them. Not a big deal if there isn't any negative consequences, but if there are and the can't be ignored, it could get annoying to need to drop what you are doing to go and deal with the event. So I guess the moral of the story is that the events need to be fun enough that no one mind dropping their current activity to go and help out.

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Well I actually didn't play RIFT but it sounds like something that happened in a game I've played. ( I can't remember the name)

Is it just like certain mobs in an area of the map and people are notified by something like a pop-up on the screen and those who take part in killing the horde or boss get certain rewards?

Or am I talking about a load of hocus pocus?

Cyber
06-06-2012, 06:15 PM
There have been a number of games of late that have dabbled by dynamic or random events, with varying degrees of success, from WARs open party quest system to Rift's rift events. However, Defiance could be attempting to push the boundaries of dynamic systems since they have claimed to be including a gaming world that changes over time due to events both in the game world and within the TV show (I will see if I can dig up where I read that).

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Well, what I really want to see is a boss fight big enough for 100s of people to fight it at the same time. Maybe whilst pvping? See what faction or group can kill the boss first. I have always been into that sort of thing!

fuzzynaru
06-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Sounds good regardless

Cyber
06-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Well, what I really want to see is a boss fight big enough for 100s of people to fight it at the same time. Maybe whilst pvping? See what faction or group can kill the boss first. I have always been into that sort of thing!

Mixing random PvE events with open world PvP would lead to a lot of problems in terms of griefing, and gamers often get very annoyed at having their efforts thwarted by some PvPers. Even if the event is in a designated PvP zone, it would have to be something that involves fighting directly rather than fighting an NPC, because the fight would almost always devolve into the two factions fighting each other first and worrying about the NPC last, which means you might have well left that type of event for the PvE areas.

Note that I am not saying that dynamic PvP events can't work, only that they are often very tricky.

fuzzynaru
06-06-2012, 06:26 PM
For example beta rift there were high level characters in an opposing factions starting zone owning kids

Cyber
06-06-2012, 06:30 PM
For example beta rift there were high level characters in an opposing factions starting zone owning kids

Yeah "noob crushing" is a common problem in many MMOs, even without the added frustration of having it happen on top of dynamic events where one is hoping to get loot for completing it :(

Adsinonimous
06-06-2012, 06:35 PM
I guess I like it because I have always been one of those people who spend hours on end creating gear in MMOs and wont PvP until my gear is beyond perfection.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Yeah noob crushing is a common problem in many MMOs, even without the added frustration of having it happen on top of dynamic events where one is hoping to get loot for completing it :(

Please don't use that word. If we find people doing such actions, we should team up to take them down!

Cyber
06-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Might as well get used to it...this being an MMO we are going to hear it early and we are going to hear it often.

In any case, I agree that such gameplay is quite lame, and I am all for taking them down whenever possible.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Might as well get used to it...this being an MMO we are going to hear it early and we are going to hear it often.

In any case, I agree that such gameplay is quite lame, and I am all for taking them down whenever possible.

True, but keep those annoying words off the forum, it weakens humanity by using those words.

Cyber
06-07-2012, 08:42 AM
If it makes you feel better I have placed the term in quotes.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 08:44 AM
If it makes you feel better I have placed the term in quotes.

Yes. Yes it does, unless you have beer.

Cyber
06-07-2012, 09:09 AM
So that article you posted in another thread (http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/602/feature/6460/Trions-Bringing-the-Big-Guns.html/page/1) gives a tiny glimpse into the dynamic event system. It will be interesting to hear more about it.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 09:20 AM
So that article you posted in another thread (http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/602/feature/6460/Trions-Bringing-the-Big-Guns.html/page/1) gives a tiny glimpse into the dynamic event system. It will be interesting to hear more about it.

There was a page somewhere that they mentioned the devs having the ability to start other events such as massive sandstorms as well.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Here is is: http://www.gamezone.com/products/defiance/previews/e3-2012-defiance-hands-on

Cyber
06-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Ah yeah, very nice. I also really like the sound of the weak spot system with the enemies. That should reduce the "spray-and-pray" tactics often seen in shooters.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Ah yeah, very nice. I also really like the sound of the weak spot system with the enemies. That should reduce the "spray-and-pray" tactics often seen in shooters.

Knowing my luck, I would probably be shooting the only invulnerable spot on the damn thing for hours on end before giving up. :(

Quizzical Harpy
06-07-2012, 10:28 AM
I loved the Zone events on rift, Basically loads of rifts spawn and then you close them and a big boss comes. That is a basic explanation but it's really great when everyone is running around killing things! :P

Adsinonimous
06-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Knowing my luck, I would probably be shooting the only invulnerable spot on the damn thing for hours on end before giving up. :(

Haha. Well I also love the idea of the weak spots. It reminds me of a few boss fights I have encountered in the past. I'm sure there will be events where there is a monster with a weak spot that's hard to get to. That would make things VERY interesting.

Adsinonimous
06-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Machinima just had another interview with Trion and they confirmed that these dynamic events will scale depending on how many people are there and also that there will be no PvP during these events.

See it here (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?47-Machinima-interviews-Rob-Hill&p=593#post593)

Escyos
06-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Machinima just had another interview with Trion and they confirmed that these dynamic events will scale depending on how many people are there and also that there will be no PvP during these events.

See it here (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?47-Machinima-interviews-Rob-Hill&p=593#post593)

Good. There would be people that show up shoot everyone and run away. I'm hoping that we get a variety of different events, ones that come out of no where and destroy everyone.

ultimt1
06-07-2012, 08:33 PM
i guess thats going to depend on what they decide to do with pvp. using Rift as an example, on a pvp server you do the event, but also have to watch out for opposing faction. pve server you dont have to unless you and they are flagged.

also in rift, you get a different kind of currency needed to buy things that will help with your stats, resistances and other things.

with Defiance, right now, we can only wait and see.

Adsinonimous
06-08-2012, 03:24 AM
there seems to be two types of currency in the bottom left-corner in the third video on this thread (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?30-The-time-is-nigh!-Gameplay-footage!-Real-not-trailer). However, it could just be other things.

Escyos
06-08-2012, 03:43 AM
there seems to be two types of currency in the bottom left-corner in the third video on this thread (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?30-The-time-is-nigh!-Gameplay-footage!-Real-not-trailer). However, it could just be other things.

Yes there is an article somewhere (I think I linked to it a few posts back) that mentioned two types of currency being used.

Adsinonimous
06-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Yes there is an article somewhere (I think I linked to it a few posts back) that mentioned two types of currency being used.

One of them might just be a currency you can buy but I think that would break a game like this.

Escyos
06-08-2012, 09:08 PM
One of them might just be a currency you can buy but I think that would break a game like this.

Well a Votan metal might be worth its weight in gold and that could be used as currency. Plus maybe older forms of currency are still being used by some places. So there might be places that take either one and refuses the other and places that take both.

Dukeraver
06-09-2012, 05:48 AM
I think currencies will be normal cash and some type of dynamic event reward currency, much like in RIFT with platinum(gold) and planar (the rift tear currency, usually spent for special items) which I dislike because you can only use one or the other, I wish you could sell/buy either, obviously for a trading price, like 20% more cash for dynamic event reward currency and vice-versa.

Escyos
06-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Well one of the currencies in the game is "sc" not sure what is stands for though.

Shrapnil
06-10-2012, 01:22 PM
I would like to see an Arkfall event that had something to do with an experimental weapons bay of one of the arks. I think they could open up a very interesting chain of events. Mutated hellbugs and other aliens just rampaging through the environment.

Shrapnil
06-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Well one of the currencies in the game is "sc" not sure what is stands for though.

Space Cash maybe haha i really dont know

Escyos
06-11-2012, 01:27 AM
I would like to see an Arkfall event that had something to do with an experimental weapons bay of one of the arks. I think they could open up a very interesting chain of events. Mutated hellbugs and other aliens just rampaging through the environment.

Yeah, maybe there could be superweapons that rain down, but you only have a limited supply of ammo for it and after a while you just have to chuck it away or sell it. Something that people really fight over.

Shrapnil
06-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Yeah, maybe there could be superweapons that rain down, but you only have a limited supply of ammo for it and after a while you just have to chuck it away or sell it. Something that people really fight over.

Or maybe they could have it apart of a schematic for crafting high end weapons or gear. Have like a salvaging profession or something along that line.

Gscully
06-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Played Rift for a year or so, I liked the rift events though they seemed to have little consequence on the game world. Sure they would take over some zone but not for long. I guess what I'd like to see is more persistence from the event. Say the event happens and no one shows up, the mobs should take over area's and hold them until taken back.
I guess this could be an issue in deserted beginner zones but if we had dynamic levels IE: level down to an area then it could encourage back tracking zones or add in penalties for ignoring invasions etc. Something like debuffs for losing territory.

Adsinonimous
06-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Or maybe they could have it apart of a schematic for crafting high end weapons or gear. Have like a salvaging profession or something along that line.

That sounds like it could be a good idea. I just really hope that the currencies are not in-game cash and cash you pay for. This would be how they could make money if the game were to be free to play but it seems to break many games. - I wouldn't mind if it was a currency that you can pay real money for, as long as the items aren't overpowered and are get able in game. So, I would only like a "Superior Cash" if it just made things faster but not unfair.

Von
06-21-2012, 07:56 PM
I like the idea of how the show and the tv series will both be effected by world events. During one of the interviews at E3, one of
the guys said that in the show they were going to have a plague happen in the series. Imagine driving around in the game and
you start to come up on plague colonies or missions start to pop up where you have to deliver medicine to other groups.

Another idea is that it looks like there might be alien or some rival group that trys to take over defience. I get that from the
concept pic on the media section of this very site. You see a army marching threw a canyon. Imagine road blocks poping up
and you find yourself having to fight threw them or they offer you a job. Think like in Fallout 3 when the Enclave shows up
midway threw the game.

Aythir
06-21-2012, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't mind if it was a currency that you can pay real money for, as long as the items aren't overpowered and are get able in game.

Almost all games are avoiding the pay to win method of F2P games. The way they are all heading is that the only things that you can use real money for are for things that will not make your character better at something of the same level. They might include more XP earning for monster kills, cosmetic upgrades, or even a different mount with the same stats. But they almost certainly will avoid the Pay to win feature that kills those games.

rodrone
06-25-2012, 11:10 AM
A big issue I had with Rift was that they actually nerfed the events so they didn't occur as often. And when they do occur, failure is an option since the world isn't affected negatively by it.

I'm not sure I'll play Defiance, with Rift xpac being released, but I hope that the dynamic events in Defiance feel more real than they do in Rift.

Arkamenitas
07-14-2012, 08:12 PM
personally i liked rifts system but i do hope that they evolve it a little based on what they have learned about dynamic content throughout Rift.

simply put, i want arkfalls to be more than just Rifts with guns.

Steelheart
07-17-2012, 10:42 AM
The encounters in Rift were pretty entertaining, but rapidly became redundant and even bothersome rather quickly due to their frequency. Dynamic encounters need to differ from encounter to encounter and be the sort of events that make (or even require at times) players want to seek them out when they appear.

Adsinonimous
07-17-2012, 10:51 AM
The encounters in Rift were pretty entertaining, but rapidly became redundant and even bothersome rather quickly due to their frequency. Dynamic encounters need to differ from encounter to encounter and be the sort of events that make (or even require at times) players want to seek them out when they appear.

I think there is a lot more potential for more variation in Defiance because of the reason that it is a MMOTPS rather than a Hotkey MMO. Because of this, I feel that there is a lot more focus is required to take down monsters and bosses in Defiance than there was in Rift and the margin for error is higher. For example, give a group of people the same boss fight multiple times in a shooter and they will do different things each time. Give that same group of people the same boss fight multiple times in a Hotkey MMO and there difference between each fight will be minimal.

Honvik
07-19-2012, 06:10 PM
I've tried GW2 and its still far from Dynamic. Sometimes I enjoy a goold old GM behind the event controling a boss or other aspects. What would be needed is to program 100's of different missions that could be created and maybe even 'player driven'?

Akraelios
07-23-2012, 08:58 AM
I think a event in a city could be really cool. Like a hellion moving through the streets and you have to get on the roofs of buildings to shoot down on weak points and then perhaps throw a grenade into the beast which would make it explode in showers of alien goo :) could be done really well :D

Aaronjin
07-31-2012, 01:08 PM
i can see this getting abused to the point where peop-le will stop doing it if they play for an average of 3-4 huors a day and 2-3 events happen within that time; maybe there can be "planned" events posted on teh website everyone can join in on, and "surprise" events were its shorter than a rgular one but more deadly and rewarding? maybe, just spitballing here :P

Kalbuir
08-01-2012, 05:08 AM
hmm how odd, would have sworn I had my idea's and thoughts posted here :p Anyway I'll quickly phrase them again, might have ended up in another thread already.

First of all I hope the dynamic part of dynamic events gets taken a bit further by the defiance team than RIFT currently has implemented. This mostly depends on what the Defiance engine is really capable off but a good example of what I am looking for in these online worlds is a real impact on failure and success.

Say a Arkfall lands down on a small town and the inhabitants of Defiance fail to destroy it then I want to see that town being destroyed to the ground. Vendors, quest givers, other npcs dieing (corpses on ground preferably) or just going poof depending on game engine possibilities. The only way to return the town to its former state is to help through a possibility of a series of new dynamic events (not necessarily ark falls) to rebuild the town or help survivors.

The rebuilding process could for example be done by mini crafting profession quests, gathering destroyed special resources to be used only for the event (this way player doesn't use its own resources but still is encouraged to craft for the event as he/she loses nothing but gains the event currency.) People who rather "run & gun" would have a possibility from a 1 of x (more is better :P) events spawning near to town to help survivors or to destroy the remains of the arkfall invasion also contributing to the rebuilding process of the little town.

Now this is only one example that I can quickly phrase, more complex is better a bigger impact is better but if you are going to advertise a game as dynamic in this day and age I personally expect more than scripted events on preset locations. What I describe also isn't dynamic as all it does is random a set of quests when an area is in a certain state but it comes as close as the gaming industry would be able to do these days I guess.

True dynamic events in a game would require a much more advanced A.I. system and an actually ever changing (building, destroying) world. Maybe one day but I don't think we are quite there yet, or maybe its never been considered (or more likely: just not sell able) :P

kagdar2006
08-02-2012, 09:47 AM
True dynamic events in a game would require a much more advanced A.I. system and an actually ever changing (building, destroying) world. Maybe one day but I don't think we are quite there yet, or maybe its never been considered (or more likely: just not sell able) :P

while not really an MMO, Minecraft is an example of an ever changing world. so it is sell-able.

Kalbuir
08-02-2012, 10:21 AM
while not really an MMO, Minecraft is an example of an ever changing world. so it is sell-able.

Very true indeed, but now add it to an AAA title to it with the graphics that are expected to come with it and you have a very real design problem. A very interesting one though, I would love to be able to change the world in an MMO and shape it through my will as a player.

As a developer I would worry quite a bit on how to regulate it though and how to protect my own content in the game. When some guy much smarter than me has an idea to solve that we (the gamers) are in for a treat in terms of online worlds though. But these challenges have been around for a while similar to the whole cross platform (console and PC) problem where different human interfaces are used with pro's and cons kinda prevent true cross platform markets to be merged.

wow think I landed way off the topic here though... *hides*

Von
08-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Imagine an Arkfall where you find a giant box or vault at the center.
You fight your way threw some hellbug but there is no giant monster,
just a vault. As you try to open the vault, a large force of raiders appear,
attack you, and try to open the vault before you.

The lock could have some complicated compination you have to
press to unlock it all the while raiders are firing rockets at you
trying to knock you away so one of their guys can run up and
unlock the vault. Of course you could knock him away. This
would require team work as one unlocks the vault as the others
try to cover him.

Arkamenitas
08-12-2012, 07:16 PM
if it includes massive bosses and/or explosions, im pretty much in.

stormaaron
09-30-2012, 08:40 PM
I think they would be a good idea. adds something in the game were players can merge together and not just be little teams running around

Shadinaxx
09-30-2012, 10:01 PM
I played Rift extensively post launch, end game, etc. They really polished the dynamic invasion events, and had lots of differant types, including ones that we as players could trigger. Often they were multi phased encounters, so you would have to complete one objective for the next stage to begin. The larger "zone wide" events would REQUIRE more than just group running around, one in particular required players to kill certain types of mobs, and collect the shards they dropped, run these shards to a generator to power up a containment field, and when all the containtment field generators will fully charged, the second phase of that event would begin. I think this one sent a colossal golem to fight another golem, an the players had to protect the "friendly" golem, including healing it, giving it buffs, etc.

Along the same lines, I would like to see some arkfall events that allows players to build up heavy gunnery stations, and man turrets, siege weaponry, vehicles, etc. Even where we would have to try and "lure" some big bad creature or psychotic transformer amalgam into a certain area for an ambush, or all out assault. Do this while incursions of rogue factions try to take you down so they can steal the loot from you. *Think of an npc based "gank" squad usually seen on pvp servers in rift, lol*

Disdain
10-09-2012, 03:05 AM
I loved the Rift events in “Rift”, however they did become a bit tedious, Rift invasions however were much better, if you were in the area you pretty much had to get involved, wandering alone during a rift invasion was a bad idea, the public group options and such were also well done for such events in Rift. I’d welcome Alien invasion events, but on a scale that forces the Player to get involved, however to have a negative effect you’d need to leave that to the higher level areas so as not to prevent a complete ganking of the lower levels.

The more I read the better this game sounds, I’m biting my finger nails in anticipation here!!

Shadinaxx
10-10-2012, 02:34 AM
I loved the Rift events in “Rift”, however they did become a bit tedious, Rift invasions however were much better, if you were in the area you pretty much had to get involved, wandering alone during a rift invasion was a bad idea, the public group options and such were also well done for such events in Rift. I’d welcome Alien invasion events, but on a scale that forces the Player to get involved, however to have a negative effect you’d need to leave that to the higher level areas so as not to prevent a complete ganking of the lower levels.

The more I read the better this game sounds, I’m biting my finger nails in anticipation here!!

what made alot of the rift invasion tedious was the higher lvls roflstomping the lower level invasions, and quite frankly, even the higher lvl invasions were a bit easy when you were a fairly well geared out hybrid class (I was a cleric tank, so I could self heal and negate 90% of all dmg).

I really think that one aspect is going to be drastically differant, in that while your character level will be a big help, you will still be able to use your own "skill" and hit the highest level monsters at a relatively low level, being that it's a shooter.

That being said, I know the feeling, I got a beta invite to EoN, I saw an email titled "you are invited to Beta" from Trion an I got all giddy. Then I cried because it was not Defiance.

Forcing the players to actually participate in the arkfalls, while I can only speculate, I am guessing that arkfalls will be of paramount importance to crafting, as well as having detrimental effects to losing points of interest to the arkfall monsters, alien invasions, etc. Like in Rift, when a PoI was overtaken, the invasions spread out from there to take even more PoIs, eventually if left unchecked, the entire zone was overrun. I can also forsee a zonewide/area buff that is active while the arkfall/invasions are at bay. Scouts, communications, things not blowing up our ATVs, etc.

Anyone else feel like that Mervin's commercial in the 90's where the lady is outside the store before it opens, chanting "open open open" ???

Disdain
10-10-2012, 03:28 AM
[QUOTE=Shadinaxx;2649]I really think that one aspect is going to be drastically differant, in that while your character level will be a big help, you will still be able to use your own "skill" and hit the highest level monsters at a relatively low level, being that it's a shooter.
QUOTE]

Now while I agree with you here, I cant see it working as such. I can see Trion introducing something along the lines of armour penetration mechanics depending on creature lvl / player lvl etc. It would be nice to be able to kite that beast around eventually working it down, though I just cant see it happening, who knows, hopefully Trion will prove me wrong.

Shadinaxx
10-10-2012, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=Shadinaxx;2649]I really think that one aspect is going to be drastically differant, in that while your character level will be a big help, you will still be able to use your own "skill" and hit the highest level monsters at a relatively low level, being that it's a shooter.
QUOTE]

Now while I agree with you here, I cant see it working as such. I can see Trion introducing something along the lines of armour penetration mechanics depending on creature lvl / player lvl etc. It would be nice to be able to kite that beast around eventually working it down, though I just cant see it happening, who knows, hopefully Trion will prove me wrong.

More or less like an enrage timer, or a "I'm bored stomping on puny humans" timer, as seen in the game play trailor when they arent able to kill the beastie fast enough. Low levels wont deal as much dmg needed in the short time the boss is around to progress the stage to the next level.

Although I mention an enrage timer, I must point out that the actual enrage timer mechanic in place in most MMO's is prolly the most rediculas mechanic ever. So if it takes you 5 hours to down some boss, I think you should still be allowed to nickel and dime the boss down. If I were an MMO boss, I would not wait around 10 minutes to kick in the "now I'm angry!" mode and start pwning the raid group, I would do that right off the bat an get back to doing whatever an MMO boss does. I hope we dont have too much craziness with enrage timers in Defiance, but I'll deal if there are, lol

However, it would make perfect sense that if a big bad boss comes around an starts smashing things, and the players arent able to kill it before it decides that it's either bored, or starting to get hurt an not worth sticking around for, an it leaves. Not sure how this would work in the "dungeons" aspect, unless EVERY final boss scenario has a sort of deadman's switch that basically decides that if that entity is gonna die, they are gonna take out the entire complex.

/wait and see

Disdain
10-11-2012, 02:15 AM
I’ve always thought similar about enrage timers, however from what I’ve read about the arkfall events is, the enrage timer is a lot more believable. This is what I’ve managed to read of one such event. The Boss types in these ark events are in stasis, you nuke down the supports of the ark while fending off waves of minions if you manage to remove the supports before the boss is reanimated from stasis it falls to the ground and does major dmg to boss contained with in, the boss then breaks free and the boss fight begins only it’s a lot more manageable than if it was fit and healthy. If however you don’t manage to bring the ark crashing to ground in the given “reanimation time” the boss emerges from stasis like a Titan and sweeps aside its foes

Shadinaxx
10-11-2012, 02:40 AM
Open world enrage timers are much more easially explained and felt, but what I am referring to are in instances, or closed encounters. Such as a raid group gets super tough boss down to 1% hp, but hit the enrage timer of say, 10 minutes, an the boss turns red, gets bigger an smashes the raid group into dust with auto attacks that hit for 1000% more. I would prefer the screen freezing, fading to black, and the words "TIME'S UP!" flashing across the screen, sending us to the graveyard, or respawn point.

OR... no enrage timer unless the boss has a means of escape, that the raid group can try to keep the boss from escaping. I would have a much funner time of spending 4 hours on a raid night attempting to down a boss, if we were able to stay alive the entire time an keep the boss from running away, and eventually downing him by ticking off 10% of his hp every 30 minutes. IMO, the traditional enrage timer is the mark of a dev team in charge of the encounter not having enough time to dedicate to the encounter, or laziness. The T-Rex in jurassic park didnt just go godzilla after 30 minutes of chasing the humans, it had a much more engaging role throughout the movie. Same thing applies for every other super villian in other cinematic masterpieces.

Granted, inside a game platform, if it can be exploited, or farmed, players will do it. So the dev team has to figure out ways to prevent a solo player from farming a group event for massive personal gain meant to be shared among several players.

I'm very interested to see how the team on Defiance handles the issue.

Disdain
10-11-2012, 03:50 AM
Ah, I understand what you mean. From what I understand, some events will be phase zoned so once you've completed it next time you go back there it's still completed. This will at least prevent the farming though still doesnt answer the Solo efforts, perhaps to zone in you will be required to be in a group of a particular number of players, this might negate the need for an Enrage timer.

Only time will tell, or maybe beta access might, fingers crossed :P

princehadow
10-18-2012, 03:26 PM
from what i've heard it is the escaping boss scenario

Scubasam
10-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Given how well Trion has done Rift and the rift`s in the game i am willing to bet they bring a bigger better more badass version to this game i cant wait and am looking forward to it. :) i just hope more than anything they dont do it like the Nexus in Tera. >.> Never want to do that again!

vampero
10-20-2012, 08:41 PM
I watch the livestream today and the event the DEVs were in look like the way Rift does it . Sky changes color and you fight a boss at the end .

Thordral
10-20-2012, 08:47 PM
I just hope they don't despawn as they do in RIFT, and there is really no consequence in failing a event.. :l

JellyBean
11-01-2012, 01:30 PM
There will probably be a huge loot and xp drop at these events. I'm really excited to see how it all comes together

Shadinaxx
11-01-2012, 03:08 PM
I just hope they don't despawn as they do in RIFT, and there is really no consequence in failing a event.. :l

yes and no, from the videos I've watched of defiance with the dev feedback, an the rift events I've played in, when you fail an event, you successfully beat back the incursion, but the grand prize escaped. If you dont participate, the boss runs unchecked and wreaks havoc on the zone/area, so that you as the player, has to at the very least, "fail" the event, and beat back the incursion, prior to doing anything else in the zone/area.

JellyBean
11-07-2012, 01:47 PM
yes and no, from the videos I've watched of defiance with the dev feedback, an the rift events I've played in, when you fail an event, you successfully beat back the incursion, but the grand prize escaped. If you dont participate, the boss runs unchecked and wreaks havoc on the zone/area, so that you as the player, has to at the very least, "fail" the event, and beat back the incursion, prior to doing anything else in the zone/area.

Very intersting. So it is a must that some one participate otherwise for the immediately future the area will be taken up by the event. I wonder how long the event will last if everyone ignores it?

princehadow
11-07-2012, 03:58 PM
i wonder how the landscape will be effected

Shadinaxx
11-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Very intersting. So it is a must that some one participate otherwise for the immediately future the area will be taken up by the event. I wonder how long the event will last if everyone ignores it?

In Rift, it usually sticks around forever, but some events are timed, and they go away after an hour or three. Some situations, when the encounter takes over a point of interest, they will sometimes establish a forward operating base, then spawn more patrols to assault more Points of interest, eventually spilling over into other areas(zones). Rarely ever happens, as the playerbase is richley rewarded for even taking down trivial incursions (rift has a currency everyone needs that is only gotten via incursions, and I imagine there will be a similer setup in defiance, or at the very least, ammo clips).

i wonder how the landscape will be effected

Again, using Rift as an example, they did a beautiful job of making each incursion have a specific "FEEL" to it, based on the element of the incursion (Rift had the basic Fire, wind, water, earth, death, life and ice elements), ie, during the death incursions, the sky went dark, the patrols of the death squads caused the ground to wilt and wither away as they traveled across it. Air incursions had a lot of lightning flashes, rain, debris flying across the screen, etc.

I dont think the landscape will be affected in a manner of say, this hill will be flattened, so to speak, but it would be pretty cool if you shot a big ole mini nuke at a tree, that tree would kinda, vaporize, lol

JellyBean
11-10-2012, 02:07 PM
In the gameplay footage i saw the enviroment of the event takes it's own turn with the weather changing and the event being clearly different than what was going on outside. Similar to what happens in right in terms of weather changing

Fennix
03-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Do it! Give us invasions on a regular basis! There's no better feeling than having repelled an invasion or retaken an occupied base in some remote region at 2 am when no help will come despite the calls, but you and two others triumphed with dead bodies everywhere.

Tabula Rasa had it right. Too bad it died.

So let's talk about dynamic events. It seems pretty clear from the information on the main site about the "Arkfall" events that Defiance will use a random event system similar to the rifts in Rift. The Arkfall events will provide a challenging situation for players to tackle and will be rewarded in some way for successfully completing the event.

Any thoughts about this out there? In particular:
For those that played Rift, how did you like the rift events? Did they work well?
What suggestions would you make for the Defiance events?
If the events are ignored should there be negative consequences?

I rather liked the invasion random event I saw at PAX Prime last year in Firefall. Alien ships appear above part of the world (even a city) and start dropping in, requiring players to battle back and repel them. Similar events were seen in Tabula Rasa, and not repelling the invaders meant losing control of an area. Guild Wars 2 also use a type of dynamic event with negative consequences, although it the case of GW2 the location isn't random.

In any case...thoughts?

ironhands
03-27-2013, 01:49 PM
incursion events are awesome. First time I think I ever saw it was Anarchy Online....seeing the massive alien ship fly in...sky went black/green. Took that think a good 5 minutes to fly over, it was huge! Then it'd arrive in a player city or a main city and aliums would run around to kill. Loved it, could easily do something similar with a large raiding party.

Love to see a large arkfall with something besides a crystal/hellbug. Loved the clip of them walking through a ship. couldn't we have a downed ship land somewhere to rush through?