PDA

View Full Version : Online Reviews.

Aspharr
04-18-2013, 01:52 AM
Hey all, I came across this morning an online review from IGN on the game, a shocking review of 5.9 looking into this more there are some very poor reviews of the game out there at present. This WILL hurt the amount of people that buy this game, in the long term hurting your playing experience.

Now user reviews that I see around are not that bad, most of the bad reviews on the game are the initial first impression of bugs here and there, not looking at the overall picture of what this game is and what it achieves as an MMO. This is completely different to others, infact what i'd be coming to expect to be the standard for the next generation of MMO's.

I'd urge everyone to go out there and give their honest opinion of the game as a whole, i'm confident that over 90% of the community see this game as a great 9/10 at least game, and not vote it a 1 because you got annoyed you had to re-do a quest last night because for some reason it bugged, but review the game for what it is.

If you can't compare this against anything else, theres nothing else like it out there, how can you review it as being a poor "MMORPG" (Which is what I feel most are comparing this to!)

metacritic
gamespot
IGN

These are probably the goto places for people who are considering buying the game.

Anim
04-18-2013, 01:57 AM
This is completely different to others, infact what i'd be coming to expect to be the standard for the next generation of MMO's.

Then the world of MMO's is in dire trouble. The few bugs here and there dont bother me at all because as you say .. it's an mmo. What bothers me is the lack of any kind of meaningful content, challenge or success.

The mechanics are there in the game, it's quite a fluid combat and the world interaction is ok, but you run out of things to do very fast. It's a half finished end product, they essentially got the basics working and released it as is, no thought to what people will do once they've done the story and messed around a bit in the two pvp maps.

So, honestly I'd give it perhaps a 4 or a 5 out of 10. The mechanics give it those points but the complete lack of substance to the game nukes its score.

tuckerpb
04-18-2013, 02:00 AM
what ever you do. do not post on there forum that thy are wrong. i did that for a review on youtube and got a bunch of e-mail telling me to **** off

MadMropheus
04-18-2013, 02:02 AM
another review thread...yay ... how many do we need lol

Fatalmephisto
04-18-2013, 02:07 AM
The whole content argument is pointless to me. Why, well its simple really. This is a 3rd person shooter MMO and has a TV show that plays connections to the game. That's the extra content we will see outside of DLC. What content do we expect to see in a 3rd person shooter? Raids? Really, this isn't World Of Warcraft or Everquest here. We don't need that stuff in this game at all. That's the main issue i have with most MMO games. Everyone says the lack of content, and that drives me nuts. I'm sorry if you were expecting so much more out this game, but you will once the show and game starts to evolve more then it has already now. Just give it more time, plus with DLC on the way. New stuff and content will always be added all the time. Plus with this show adding events and other cool aspects every week. The content will never be dry for me.

Another big aspect as to why the reviews from Critics and gamers alike being so harshly negative is that they don't quite understand what Defiance is doing new to the MMO genre. I mean for godsakes the TV show is a huge aspect for the game in and of itself. That's what makes this game different to other standard MMO's on the market. Also, i don't give ratings or grades for a game that i like to write reviews for. I just write them and then I'm done.

Muffins
04-18-2013, 02:13 AM
Everyone says the lack of content, and that drives me nuts. I'm sorry if you were expecting so much more out this game, but you will once the show and game starts to evolve more then it has already now. Just give it more time, plus with DLC on the way. New stuff and content will always be added all the time. Plus with this show adding events and other cool aspects every week. The content will never be dry for me.
Don't use logic on the internet, that's outrageous. An MMO based on a TV series which is supposed to in twine with another is all about releasing an amazing show with an amazing 10/10 MMO that always has things to do for a lifetime, with all the content released before the show even begins rolling.

Fatalmephisto
04-18-2013, 02:15 AM
Don't use logic on the internet, that's outrageous. An MMO based on a TV series which is supposed to in twine with another is all about releasing an amazing show with an amazing 10/10 MMO that always has things to do for a lifetime, with all the content released before the show even begins rolling.

LMAO, i see what you did there. While yes so many people want that stuff. Sure give us all the content, let people be finished in within 2 months even sooner then that and everyone will completely ignore the game. End of story. Sorry for being an A** but it just upsets me to see so many people complaining about something that hasn't even had time to breath on the market.

xEDMx
04-18-2013, 02:16 AM
This "Anim" guy is hilarious. I've been reading all his posts just a pure hater. Entertaining at the very least.

Senel
04-18-2013, 02:18 AM
Then the world of MMO's is in dire trouble. The few bugs here and there dont bother me at all because as you say .. it's an mmo. What bothers me is the lack of any kind of meaningful content, challenge or success.

The mechanics are there in the game, it's quite a fluid combat and the world interaction is ok, but you run out of things to do very fast. It's a half finished end product, they essentially got the basics working and released it as is, no thought to what people will do once they've done the story and messed around a bit in the two pvp maps.

So, honestly I'd give it perhaps a 4 or a 5 out of 10. The mechanics give it those points but the complete lack of substance to the game nukes its score.

The game is basically designed to be played in moderation, designed so you can play along side the show. If you burn out and spend 40-60hrs using up all the content you missed the point. Half the game's content is held back so it can be rolled out with the show, which isn't bad it's a good idea for what they're trying to pull off. You can't put out a legitimate review scolding it for what it's not & what it doesn't do and completely disregarding for what it is & is trying to do. Hardcore no lifer or casual gamer Defiance puts out more hours worth of content & enjoyment than your average $60 game, but you'll put it down because of stigmas of what MMO's should be.

Fatalmephisto
04-18-2013, 02:20 AM
The game is basically designed to be played in moderation, designed so you can play along side the show. If you burn out and spend 40-60hrs using up all the content you missed the point. Half the game's content is held back so it can be rolled out with the show, which isn't bad it's a good idea for what they're trying to pull off. You can't put out a legitimate review scolding it for what it's not & what it doesn't do and completely disregarding for what it is & is trying to do. Hardcore no lifer or casual gamer Defiance puts out more hours worth of content & enjoyment than your average $60 game, but you'll put it down because of stigmas of what MMO's should be.

BINGO. They have actually said this a few times in Interviews as well in the past when the game was announced. I myself however, have over 7 days played on my main character and i cannot stop playing it.

Senel
04-18-2013, 02:38 AM
BINGO. They have actually said this a few times in Interviews as well in the past when the game was announced. I myself however, have over 7 days played on my main character and i cannot stop playing it.

Having a blast myself i've being taking it slower than i usually take most mmo's (no lifer here) the only thing i rushed myself to complete was the Episode Missions so i could have the back story in time with the show. Then i casually logged in a few times during the week leading up to the show just enjoying the solid gun play & doing some major arkfalls. I instantly got reinvigorated to play again have watching the premiere and having the festival going is just welcomed content that gets me excited for next week.

I really can't understand the hate here, i mean half the selling pitch is the fact that the game & the show tie in together. I've got many hours in already wish i knew the exact usage dunno if there's a command for that... but either way i've still got tons of content to do and i've barely done any co-op missions let alone really dig into the PvP. It really saddens me to see the point of this game and how good it actually is go over people's head.

Fatalmephisto
04-18-2013, 02:41 AM
Having a blast myself i've being taking it slower than i usually take most mmo's (no lifer here) the only thing i rushed myself to complete was the Episode Missions so i could have the back story in time with the show. Then i casually logged in a few times during the week leading up to the show just enjoying the solid gun play & doing some major arkfalls. I instantly got reinvigorated to play again have watching the premiere and having the festival going is just welcomed content that gets me excited for next week.

I really can't understand the hate here, i mean half the selling pitch is the fact that the game & the show tie in together. I've got many hours in already wish i knew the exact usage dunno if there's a command for that... but either way i've still got tons of content to do and i've barely done any co-op missions let alone really dig into the PvP. It really saddens me to see the point of this game and how good it actually is go over people's head.

/played

Agreed man, the show is going to help keep this game going for me.

Cheggers
04-18-2013, 02:42 AM
You can say its linked to a show blah, blah, blah, but the truth first episodes out and what's changed? Now yes I know that there has been some problems but there will be for every patch/content added and its the 7 P's that they have failed at.

Prior.
Planning.
Preparation.
Prevents.
Piss.
Poor.
Performance.

The reason I bring this up was that they was told about many of the problem's that have lead to the bad reviews months if not years a head of the bad reviews.

Now the reason it has bombed on a lot of the reviews is not due to the TPS part, what is a crap ton of fun, but the MMO part. tbh the mmo part of this game is close to the halo/CoD mo (multi-player online) the arkfalls still just feel like a bunch of npc's running around the same area as you. It fails hard as in its a 1 or 2/10 MMO for social aspects. The chatbar feels like a mod at most to a offline game that has been user modded to allow for chatting, this is some thing they may well be working on now but it should have been done years ago before it even got to a alpha stage.
I know a lot of players are fine with how the chatbar works right now but do you ever see anyone use it? In any and yes any mmo that is not this game there is always people talking in zone chats, yes some times its bad running jokes but it still feels like a MMO.

At the end of the day towards content there is enough if it was a offline game what most players are treating this game as, hell its more than a lot of offline or just multi player games have. As to the raiding and what not from other games, as much as I hate to say it raiding is a major social system in any MMO game. Hell even Neocron had them in as a fps/tps MMO that was 10 years ago. Arkfalls fail in this part as there is no planning a head its just run too and gun to profit.

Now if we ignore these points that have been brought up the story was good but was missing a lot of back story that I would have thought they would use to promote to show with what each race is what they are like. Why the pale wars started first contact and all that kinda stuff but other than little hints or slight touch's on the past Its missing a whole lot. This game barely ties into the show other than the same name and 1 crystal.

My personal review rankings would be this.

The game as a game 8 out of 10 if it was a offline game.

The game as it is a MMO would be 4 or 5 out 10.

So if I was to add the to add them scores together would maybe be a 6 out of 10 what is pretty bad for a AAA game.

Fatalmephisto
04-18-2013, 03:00 AM
You can say its linked to a show blah, blah, blah, but the truth first episodes out and what's changed? Now yes I know that there has been some problems but there will be for every patch/content added and its the 7 P's that they have failed at.

Prior.
Planning.
Preparation.
Prevents.
Piss.
Poor.
Performance.

The reason I bring this up was that they was told about many of the problem's that have lead to the bad reviews months if not years a head of the bad reviews.

Now the reason it has bombed on a lot of the reviews is not due to the TPS part, what is a crap ton of fun, but the MMO part. tbh the mmo part of this game is close to the halo/CoD mo (multi-player online) the arkfalls still just feel like a bunch of npc's running around the same area as you. It fails hard as in its a 1 or 2/10 MMO for social aspects. The chatbar feels like a mod at most to a offline game that has been user modded to allow for chatting, this is some thing they may well be working on now but it should have been done years ago before it even got to a alpha stage.
I know a lot of players are fine with how the chatbar works right now but do you ever see anyone use it? In any and yes any mmo that is not this game there is always people talking in zone chats, yes some times its bad running jokes but it still feels like a MMO.

At the end of the day towards content there is enough if it was a offline game what most players are treating this game as, hell its more than a lot of offline or just multi player games have. As to the raiding and what not from other games, as much as I hate to say it raiding is a major social system in any MMO game. Hell even Neocron had them in as a fps/tps MMO that was 10 years ago. Arkfalls fail in this part as there is no planning a head its just run too and gun to profit.

Now if we ignore these points that have been brought up the story was good but was missing a lot of back story that I would have thought they would use to promote to show with what each race is what they are like. Why the pale wars started first contact and all that kinda stuff but other than little hints or slight touch's on the past Its missing a whole lot. This game barely ties into the show other than the same name and 1 crystal.

My personal review rankings would be this.

The game as a game 8 out of 10 if it was a offline game.

The game as it is a MMO would be 4 or 5 out 10.

So if I was to add the to add them scores together would maybe be a 6 out of 10 what is pretty bad for a AAA game.

Yet an update can easily fix the social aspect of the game. MMO aspects change all the time. Most of the reviews are half assed to be honest. Anyone with a brain who writes reviews should NOT and i repeat NOT review MMO's within the first two weeks of launch. Every single MMO has problems at launch, even some that are virtually unplayable. Plus there is tons of stuff to do outside of what we get with the show. So what if they added a few small things from the first episode. For heaven sake's its the first episode of the show. Sorry if i come across rude and i apologize if i do sound rude. Just give the game time to get its kinks ironed out. There will be tons of content coming into the game in the coming weeks. Just relax and you will see I'm right.

Anim
04-18-2013, 03:22 AM
There will be tons of content coming into the game in the coming weeks. Just relax and you will see I'm right.

Gonna remember this line right here, lots of people claimed the same thing pre-TV show and are now wondering what the hell happened to the statements by Trion.

Cheggers
04-18-2013, 03:25 AM
Well you don't come across as rude at all so no worry's there, but that being said I don't believe we can agree on this as the "it can be patched" defence is a problem as most of the things that have dropped the reviews scores was and have been brought up over the past few months if not longer.

The reviews in the first week's or month of any game are very important as they will guide a MMO game with things they had not seen and how to fix them that's why I think they are needed early on. These reviews for the most part have picked up the things I posted that "should" have been in before lunch as that is what alpha and beta test are for. If they failed to take notice or fix these problem what was these test for? Now stuff that should not be brought up in early reviews are only server stability but that being said it's how a owner of the game handles it should be judged.

Even though I have picked a lot of problem's and might seem to be a vocal hater of the game I am not and can see my self playing this game for some time.

The problem is that the bad reviews and the post on these forums that just pick holes in the game are needed more than the "it's fine it will be fixed" posts. As aforementioned post will light a fire up the developers back side and get things that are needed to be done, done fast. But the defenders generally only do the opposite from past experience of some MMO's and make the dev's pat them self's on the pack and turn a blind eye or at best change things to slowly and damage the game's standing among t online gamers.

Fatalmephisto
04-18-2013, 03:41 AM
One thing they need to do is add a Trade Chat channel, so people can start selling there weapons to others. That would help get the social aspect going. Plus people need not be afraid of using chat as well to talk to people and more involved with stuff. Also, there is going to be clan added later on as well. Like Clan Rep which will be fun to do and get clan members more involved with doing instances and PvP.

Pyohehgah
04-18-2013, 03:48 AM
I like to feel Defiance is like Army of Darkness and Bruce Campbell. Yeah, it was a B-Rated movie with a B-Rated Actor, but it doesn't cancel the fact it was a bad *** movie and Bruce Campbell is a bad *** actor. Yeah, he may be corny, yeah, you may know what he's gonna say or what he's gonna do next, but I mean come on, the way he acts and the way he is is what makes him so great.

Defiance may have a number of flaws that make it kinda a bad game. IE : Where the hell is area chat for all the trolls, jokes and inappropriate for small children 3 am discussions. Why is it that I modded a scope onto my assault rifle and after the patch I don't even have cross hairs when I zoom in. Or the voice acting and the storyline are kinda half hearted. Where is all the god damned back story? Repetative nature of the quest or any of the annoying bugs... BUT... Gunplay is solid. Quests are fast paced and plentiful. Arkfalls are amazing. No matter yer ego rating, if yer not paying attention yer gonna wind up a stain on the ground. Actually, the list of cool things that make the game fun(for me at least) is probably as long as my leg.

Yes, there's bugs... There's always bugs. I've played so many games that when I run into a bug, so long as it doesn't break the game, I'm happy. Hell, WoW had a 2 week period that the game was pretty much unplayable because they'd have to take the servers down for 4+ hours every 6-8 hours or so after a patch they uploaded ****ed everything up. Did they fix it? You bet yer ***(eventually). Is TRION gonna get things fixed eventually in this BRAND ****ING NEW game that's ONLY BEEN UP TWO WEEKS? If they like making money, you bet yer *** =P

In my humble opinion, this games ****ing awesome like Bruce Campbell is a great actor. Not the best in the world, but it's entertaining and will continue to be so for a long time no doubt.

(Disclaimer) I just worked a 12 hour shift and it's almost 5am, forgive me if this sounds kinda like a rant. Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk “Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex,”

MajorProbes
04-18-2013, 04:38 AM
I've left reviews in the places mentioned by the OP, i to think we need to show our support!

Anim
04-18-2013, 05:44 AM
This "Anim" guy is hilarious. I've been reading all his posts just a pure hater. Entertaining at the very least.

Seems the overwhelming thoughts are similar to mine http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?41732-What-rating-would-you-give-Defiance-the-game-out-of-10/

darknessjw
04-18-2013, 07:07 AM
I never follow "pro" reviews. If i do then i would miss a lot of good games and unique games. I would only play paid review games like CoDs or Diablo 3. Or any Activision/EA game

:)