PDA

View Full Version : Cooper's Voice, Not So Believable...

XtheManimal
04-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Could Trion NOT find an older black guy to do Jon Cooper's voice? I laughed out loud when I first met him in the game. It sounds a lot like a white guy trying to make his voice raspy with a southern accent. Maybe it is a black male voice-over but the voice seems seriously disconnected from his appearance. I like his character though. Seems like he has an interesting back-story.

Shima
04-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Sounds fine to me - though it is a white guy (guy who did Illidan and War from Darksiders). Liam something.

Not that skin color has much to do with voice acting - Ashley Williams anyone?

Alcohol Fueled Brewtality
04-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Could Trion NOT find an older black guy to do Jon Cooper's voice? I laughed out loud when I first met him in the game. It sounds a lot like a white guy trying to make his voice raspy with a southern accent. Maybe it is a black male voice-over but the voice seems seriously disconnected from his appearance. I like his character though. Seems like he has an interesting back-story.

Because every single black character needs to be voiced by

1) Ice Cube

2) Morgan Freeman

Amirite?

thinice
04-18-2013, 09:10 AM

The voice sounds good to me. What kind of a voice should a black character have for you?? Something stereotypical?

EdgeTW
04-18-2013, 09:17 AM
The voice sounds good to me. What kind of a voice should a black character have for you?? Something stereotypical?

Oh, for pete's sake.

I don't think the voice matches the look of the character either.

There are people like this in real life, where I see them on TV and am expecting one sound, and then they open their mouth and deliver something completely unexpected. Too high pitch, too low pitch.. it happens.

Thing is, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to have it unintentionally happen in a game, especially when the developers have direct control over what a character looks or sounds like.

If the NPC was portrayed as a skinny Hawaiian native who sounded like Arnold back in the days of his most raw English, I'd be agreeing with the thread of this title all the same. There are voices that match the look and then there are those that just.. don't. There doesn't have to be anything more sinister behind the opinion than that.

04-18-2013, 09:20 AM

The crows from Dumbo.

Illessen
04-18-2013, 09:21 AM

1) Ice Cube

2) Morgan Freeman

Amirite?

I'd wet myself if that was possible. But Cooper does sound a little too white for the character, throws the whole immersion thing off when you hear him open his mouth. "Point, then shoot!"

Wolf
04-18-2013, 09:22 AM
I never really thought about it? It doesn't sound black or white its just a voice. But Cooper as a character I like him.

04-18-2013, 09:23 AM
"Point, then shoot!"

That annoys me. Not because of the delivery, but because how stupid the line is. Who shoots their gun first and then points it at whatever you're fighting?

lol

Shima
04-18-2013, 09:28 AM
That annoys me. Not because of the delivery, but because how stupid the line is. Who shoots their gun first and then points it at whatever you're fighting?

lol

In his defense he could be assuming you're a complete idiot who's just firing without even aiming. :P

In fact I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple people like that in game.

Migrayne
04-18-2013, 09:32 AM

lol

Yeah agree with this. I tried to shoot then point once. I got a bullet in the knee.

EdgeTW
04-18-2013, 09:35 AM
I think what I dislike about the voice mainly is that it sounds like someone trying to do a voice that isn't theirs. It's like someone in their office-pool was told "speak into the mic and try and sound tough", someone with zero skill at doing this sort of thing.

04-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Yeah agree with this. I tried to shoot then point once. I got a bullet in the knee.

Could've been worse - Rocket Launcher. Then you'd be lucky to even find your knee!

Munx
04-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Really don't get what poster is talking about, coopers voice seems perfect for the char, then again I guees I don't have a certain assumption of how a african american should sound like, and I kinda have to wonder what makes poster think african americans have diffrent vocal cords then white people.

Yehlan
04-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Maybe Cooper is originaly from Canada because he sounds fine, though with that voice he could also be Asian I guess or even Hispanic, oh that's right its a voice and its pretty much racial stereotyping to suggest a person of a specific skin colour should also have a specific voice. He sounds great and I hope they don't change his voice as the money required to do that is better put into more content and not into making this game racist.

Ensu
04-18-2013, 10:07 AM
I (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EXGqg7TkS4=) don't (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSFg3pAprdg) have (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc1aptIwY2s) any (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3psB9nG75sM) problem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG9paM_3QRM) with (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kod1q39ddE) the (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Lt17rALrM) accent (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1FmuIv2YgI).

Commander Taylor
04-18-2013, 10:12 AM
You guys ever meet an Irish black man? It is funny as hell.

dirtyklingon
04-18-2013, 10:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q37xJtuQ24w

OP in his haste to dry hump angry joe's leg opened his mouth but all that came out was a bunch of gibberish because he forgot about rupert "i'm too old for this ****" murdagh.

i wonder how many old black men from the NY area OP or anyone who agrees with OP has met.

Conneri
04-18-2013, 10:44 AM
I (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EXGqg7TkS4=) don't (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSFg3pAprdg) have (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc1aptIwY2s) any (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3psB9nG75sM) problem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG9paM_3QRM) with (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kod1q39ddE) the (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Lt17rALrM) accent (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1FmuIv2YgI).
Win.

Voice is fine.

Rikishi
04-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Every black character has to sound ghetto, right?

EdgeTW
04-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Really don't get what poster is talking about, coopers voice seems perfect for the char, then again I guees I don't have a certain assumption of how a african american should sound like, and I kinda have to wonder what makes poster think african americans have diffrent vocal cords then white people.

You guys who are writing these types of comments.. you should know that in your efforts to paint the OP as racist, you're the ones who are actually coming across that way.

Munx
04-18-2013, 11:18 AM
I am not trying to paint anyone as a racist, if you belive african americans and white people somehow have diffrent vocal coords, you are ignorant, not racist.

Fact is the voice acting for cooper is excellent, and it fits the char like a glove.

AZAG0TH
04-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Voice acting is fine for this Char. I've seen/heard others complain about it and I just don't get it. I laughed at Angry Joe when he went off on it during his review. It really put the rest of the review into perspective for me.

04-18-2013, 11:36 AM
You guys who are writing these types of comments.. you should know that in your efforts to paint the OP as racist, you're the ones who are actually coming across that way.

How exactly does that work?

Griffon
04-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Since this is a thread about Cooper, does anyone know what he says in combat?

When doing missions with Cooper, periodically he'll shout out something that sounds like
"I'll pee goddammit."

Anyone know what he is really saying? Just curious.

jvp
04-18-2013, 11:42 AM
It was completely believable.

The actor wasn't speaking like a robot, nor did it sound forced in any way.

EdgeTW
04-18-2013, 11:44 AM
I am not trying to paint anyone as a racist, if you belive african americans and white people somehow have diffrent vocal coords, you are ignorant, not racist.

If you would drop the witchhunt long enough to read what I already wrote, you wouldn't be making that comment to start with:

Oh, for pete's sake.

I don't think the voice matches the look of the character either.

There are people like this in real life, where I see them on TV and am expecting one sound, and then they open their mouth and deliver something completely unexpected. Too high pitch, too low pitch.. it happens.

Thing is, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to have it unintentionally happen in a game, especially when the developers have direct control over what a character looks or sounds like.

If the NPC was portrayed as a skinny Hawaiian native who sounded like Arnold back in the days of his most raw English, I'd be agreeing with the thread of this title all the same. There are voices that match the look and then there are those that just.. don't. There doesn't have to be anything more sinister behind the opinion than that.

I think what I dislike about the voice mainly is that it sounds like someone trying to do a voice that isn't theirs. It's like someone in their office-pool was told "speak into the mic and try and sound tough", someone with zero skill at doing this sort of thing.

EdgeTW
04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
How exactly does that work?

Because when someone offers an honest criticism as an opinion and people immediately play the racism card as a counter, it comes across like they're the ones that can't get race off their minds.

It's like when someone takes something you say the wrong way and makes a comment about your mind being in the gutter, when in reality it wasn't at all.. it's THEIR mind that apparently went to the gutter.. it's just very telling.

Don't be that person. :P

The OP (and others) have made a complaint about the voice. If you disagree, just say you disagree. There's no need to be tagging comments like "What kind of a voice should a black character have for you???" on top of it like you're about to bag a hater.

Munx
04-18-2013, 11:54 AM
What witchhunt are you talking about? Even if I saw your reply (which I did) I would have replied in the same way.

You are totally overreacting here.

WBuchanan
04-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Because when someone offers an honest criticism as an opinion and people immediately play the racism card as a counter, it comes across like they're the ones that can't get race off their minds.

It's like when someone takes something you say the wrong way and makes a comment about your mind being in the gutter, when in reality it wasn't at all.. it's THEIR mind that apparently went to the gutter.. it's just very telling.

Don't be that person. :P

The OP (and others) have made a complaint about the voice. If you disagree, just say you disagree. There's no need to be tagging comments like "What kind of a voice should a black character have for you???" on top of it like you're about to bag a hater.

I disagree. Strongly.

Wolf
04-18-2013, 12:06 PM
I blame Angry Joe! He started all this voice nonsense. Damn u Joe, damn u all to hell! lol

Eisberg
04-18-2013, 12:09 PM
agreed with the OP, they should have gotten a real black man to play Cooper, Mike Tyson would have been a good choice :p

Conneri
04-18-2013, 12:15 PM

clearly the OP wasn't thinking about race.

Shima
04-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Since this is a thread about Cooper, does anyone know what he says in combat?

When doing missions with Cooper, periodically he'll shout out something that sounds like
"I'll pee goddammit."

Anyone know what he is really saying? Just curious.

Believe he's saying "I'm PINNED goddamnit" when he's being fired at.

Munx
04-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Yeah that is what he sais.

04-18-2013, 12:30 PM
clearly the OP wasn't thinking about race.

Yeah clearly it isn't about race.

No siree.

The OP is clearly whining about Cooper not sounding black enough.

Blackwolfe
04-18-2013, 12:42 PM
I honestly can't imagine, and wouldn't be able to imagine cooper (after playing the second beta when madera was opened up to us beta testers) with another voice. It did not take long for me to connect, truly connect that voice to the character.

Griffon
04-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Believe he's saying "I'm PINNED goddamnit" when he's being fired at.

Ah, now I can hear it. Thanks for replying and allowing me to finally get that out of my head.

Darkane
04-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Agreed. A real missfire in the casting. Seems way too laid back and just... Not quite right. Feel a bit awkward when he's on screen. Otherwise really like the voice acting.

04-18-2013, 01:01 PM
He's not laid back.

He's tired of this sh*t. He's friggin' depressed as heck.

He doesn't want to be a Lawkeeper, or have anything else to do with what is happening. In fact, he goes as far as to hint to being envious of the Defiant Few who couldn't take it anymore and committed suicide.

SteveMND
04-18-2013, 01:02 PM
The only issue I have with Cooper is that sometimes the voice sounds a little too 'read in front of a mic' for my tastes. Cass is really the only voice actor I've come across so far actually sounds like a person responding to the situation with non-scripted dialogue, as opposed to reading something off a page in an effort to make sure everything is perfectly enunciated.

Mind you, I don't have a problem with the voice acting in general in the game -- it's much better than a lot of other's I've seen -- but when it falls back into dry reading, it's far more noticeable than if something was of middling quality from the get-go. :D

NakedApe
04-18-2013, 01:11 PM

Moronic. If Cooper had been voiced by Sidney Poitier you would probably be saying it wasnt "black" enough.

Ickorus
04-18-2013, 01:30 PM
You know the white old man in Bastion? The one that is also the narrator for the game?

He's voiced by a young black guy.

I don't think skin colour really counts for much when it comes to voices.

04-18-2013, 01:40 PM
You know the white old man in Bastion? The one that is also the narrator for the game?

He's voiced by a young black guy.

I don't think skin colour really counts for much when it comes to voices.

Black characters are different than white characters. Unless a black character is voiced by a black person, it is clearly racism. It is also racism if they are voiced by a black person who isn't black enough, apparently.

Blackwolfe
04-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Anything is racism these days, even things that aren't :P Seriously, why would it be racism if a white guy does the VO for a black guy and vice versa?

Ngamok
04-18-2013, 02:08 PM

1) Ice Cube

2) Morgan Freeman

Amirite?

Sorry, James Earl Jones.

Also, IMDB doesn't have the voice actors for the game up yet.

Mindfix
04-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Honestly i never even gave it any thought and now that you've mention it i still won't.

Ceridwyn_Vox
04-18-2013, 03:09 PM
His voice sound fine to me. I actually know one actor that sounds and looks exactly like Cooper. Have you ever seen Phil Lamarr? His voice is similar, and even looks like the in game character.

Shanks
04-18-2013, 03:21 PM

1) Ice Cube

2) Morgan Freeman

Amirite?

I'm a fan of Keith David myself. He's a great actor and has a commanding voice.

As for Cooper, his voice never bothered me. I thought his VA did pretty decent, especially in comparison to some of the others.

ExpiredLifetime
04-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Meh, I've never thought anything about it up until now. The voice acting in general isn't 'bad', but it's certainly not great. This isn't Guild Wars 2, nor is it a Mass Effect - it's just simply there. Honestly all of the characters - with the exception of Cass - could use a little more personality behind them imo, but most games are this way due to how difficult voice acting really is.

AZAG0TH
04-18-2013, 05:22 PM
By and large the voice acting in the game is better than the real acting in the show!

XtheManimal
04-19-2013, 05:50 AM
Lol I'm having fun reading the comments saying "DAS RACIST"! The whole point of my post was that his voice just doesn't fit the character's look at all. Oh, and the reason I even mentioned an "Older black guy" is because Cooper is in fact.... an OLDER BLACK MALE. -_-

Munx
04-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Actually it fits perfectly by your own description id say.

Badass lawkeeper with a badass cowboy hat, matches perfectly with a "southern" accent and raspy voice

What makes you think he is particularly old? I might have missed something that gives us a accurate measurement of his actual age, But id estimate hes 50 at most, though most likely in his 40's neither of which id consider particularly old.

Shima
04-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Yea I assumed he was around Nolan's age.

Conneri
04-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Oh, and the reason I even mentioned an "Older black guy" is because Cooper is in fact.... an OLDER BLACK MALE. -_-
and Bugs Bunny is a gray rabbit. He's not voiced by one. Bart Simpson is voiced by Nancy Cartwright. Ms. Piggy was voiced by Frank Oz. Gender and race have no relevance in voice acting.

MacDeath
04-19-2013, 06:58 AM
and Bugs Bunny is a gray rabbit. He's not voiced by one. Bart Simpson is voiced by Nancy Cartwright. Ms. Piggy was voiced by Frank Oz. Gender and race have no relevance in voice acting.
/signed 10

Grit
04-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Saw this topic, wanted to drop my 2cents..

yeah i'm a 360 user but meh..

Looking at cooper he reminds me of Danny Glover, i'm almost waiting for that voice to come out lol. As for Coop's voice actor..i think the guy doing the voice is fine. Dude looks like Danny Glover though lol.

heck the guy doing the voice could be a little green martian, doesn't matter one bit.

Munx
04-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Damnit bugs bunny, why you no sound like rabbit?

dirtyklingon
04-19-2013, 07:10 AM

Looking at cooper he reminds me of Danny Glover, i'm almost waiting for that voice to come out lol. As for Coop's voice actor..i think the guy doing the voice is fine. Dude looks like Danny Glover though lol.

heck the guy doing the voice could be a little green martian, doesn't matter one bit.

i said that downthread.

i said it in the angry joe vlog thread.

kids these days so hard up to dry hump some fameballs leg that they don't realize that cooper sounds like one of the most iconic black actors in history. who he also somewhat resembles, and his character seems to be somewhat written based on his most famous role.

but let's pretend that black people only sound like stereotypes promoted in teh last decade or so.

also how does cooper have a southern accent? lol, yall never been to the south eastern US have ya? that's a brooklyn/staten island accent.

XtheManimal
04-19-2013, 08:04 AM
I think it has a lot of relevance if the voice actor has a lot of the same features as the person they are voicing for. Sure there are exceptions, but in my opinion Jon Cooper's voice does not match him at all, and hilariously so. If you want to view that as racist then go on with your bad self! ;)

XtheManimal
04-19-2013, 08:08 AM
i said that downthread.

kids these days so hard up to dry hump some fameballs leg that they don't realize that cooper sounds like one of the most iconic black actors in history. who he also somewhat resembles, and his character seems to be somewhat written based on his most famous role.

but let's pretend that black people only sound like stereotypes promoted in teh last decade or so.

also how does cooper have a southern accent? lol, yall never been to the south eastern US have ya? that's a brooklyn/staten island accent.

I looked up Angry Joe and saw that video he posted, laughing as he mentioned the same thing. I was starting to think it was only me who noticed this lol. To some it seems the voice PERFECTLY fits him, I don't see it. Ah well.

Munx
04-19-2013, 08:11 AM
well you have yet to describe how cooper should sound like, other then saying he should sound like a old black guy...

And I never hinted at you being racist, but I did hint at you being slightly ignorant if you truely belive voice is in any way race dependant.

That said, I got no idea what you truely belive in that regard, I can only speak to what it sounds like you belive.

Ive seen/heard alot of voice acting over the years, and coopers is some of the most beliveable voice acting I've seen/heard in any game to date.

EdgeTW
04-19-2013, 08:15 AM

i said that downthread.

As someone who has spent far too many years living in both areas, that is not a brooklyn accent. It sounds like someone tyring to pretend they have some sort of hybrid southern/Texan mix accent, and it's not very good, which is part of the problem. And it doesn't sound anything remotely like Danny Glover, not even close.

well you have yet to describe how cooper should sound like, other then saying he should sound like a old black guy...

And I never hinted at you being racist, but I did hint at you being slightly ignorant if you truely belive voice is in any way race dependant.

That said, I got no idea what you truely belive in that regard, I can only speak to what it sounds like you belive.

Ive seen/heard alot of voice acting over the years, and coopers is some of the most beliveable voice acting I've seen/heard in any game to date.

He sounds young to me, but his character looks old. That's the other part of the problem.

Lastly, I want to say that there's nothing wrong with having a stereotypical voice. In fact, in a video game I think it's preferred. For example.. the stratocarrier commander, Noah Grant, sounds very much like you would expect a stereotypical military commander to sound like.

Now (and I said this earlier) you can turn on the TV and come across people who don't quite sound like you expected.. voices are surprisingly high or low pitched, that sort of thing. The difference is (and this is key) their voice is syncing perfectly with their lips, and so it's easy to accept.

In a video game, that doesn't happen. Your brain is already struggling with the fact that you're hearing dialogue that's coming from a character whose lips are flapping completely out of sync. So, if you can't get that right then you should at least make sure the character has a stereotypical sound that sells the player on this pairing. But when it doesn't, on top of the syncing issues.. it becomes more difficult to believe.

Cooper, to me, just doesn't sound tough enough. And I think his voice should be deeper. And finding someone that can nail the accent he's floundering around wouldn't hurt. As is, it's a little higher than I was expecting and a little too gentle. Non-stereotypical for the way he looks. Of course, I say "sterotype" and you all are immediately thinking skin color and start talking about racism. (shakes head)

None of this is a huge deal to me. Cooper is, however, the first character I came across in the game whose voice made me go "huh?", though. Well, that's not quite right.. EGO struck me as funny starting off too. I think I was expecting something.. British. :P

dirtyklingon
04-19-2013, 08:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db9_vW3uRh0
here's danny glover talking. sounds nothing like him. at all. rly. srsly. nothing. at.all.like.danny glover.

now danny glover is from georgia. i'll give you that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmA_ILuSsyg
here's my ex guild leader. guy grew up and spent most of his life in brooklyn. lives in staten island now. 50 some odd year old black man.

when he gets mad and yells at people he sounds just like cooper does when he says GET THESE SONS OF *****ES OFF ME.

EdgeTW
04-19-2013, 08:42 AM
here's danny glover talking. sounds nothing like him. at all. rly. srsly. nothing. at.all.like.danny glover.

now danny glover is from georgia. i'll give you that.

No, seriously.. not even close in my book. About the only thing they have in common is they're semi-close in pitch. Danny Glover's voice has a rasp to it, Cooper's doesn't.. it's borderline crystal clarity, except for that twang he's trying to toss in there (which keeps slipping in and out).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tsef2t-RGTg#t=19s

Blackwolfe
04-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Not all black guys sound black, not all white guys sound white. Also remember that your voice can change over time as well as your dialect depending on where you move to and even be a mix of dialects as well as being affected by the country you were born in if you moved to some other country. That's not even taking into account that you might talk differently depending on the area in your city/town you live in, how your friends talk. Some people also quickly pick up dialects depending on who they talk to.

dirtyklingon
04-19-2013, 08:57 AM
No, seriously.. not even close in my book. About the only thing they have in common is they're semi-close in pitch. Danny Glover's voice has a rasp to it, Cooper's doesn't.. it's borderline crystal clarity, except for that twang he's trying to toss in there (which keeps slipping in and out).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tsef2t-RGTg#t=19s

you can't hear the rasp in cooper's voice in that video?

maybe you need better speakers? or a hearing check up?

EdgeTW
04-19-2013, 09:09 AM
you can't hear the rasp in cooper's voice in that video?

maybe you need better speakers? or a hearing check up?

I think what you call/consider a rasp and what I call a rasp are two different things.

LoL.. and why is it the person who hears differently from you automatically the one in need of better speakers or a hearing check up? Couldn't possibly be on your end? How's perfection working out for you over there? ;)

dirtyklingon
04-19-2013, 09:14 AM
i'm rolling my eyes so hard right now i'm doing flips.

EdgeTW
04-19-2013, 09:20 AM
i'm rolling my eyes so hard right now i'm doing flips.

Be careful with that or you're going to end up with vision problems on top of hearing problems.

I kid, I kid! :p

dirtyklingon
04-19-2013, 09:23 AM
anyways second video there i posted sounds more like cooper than danny glover. danny was the 2nd person i thought of when i met cooper in game. the ex gm was the first.