PDA

View Full Version : Would you still play Defiance if the show didn't exist?

Remag Div
04-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Interesting question I thought of.

I think many of us were more intrigued for this game because of the unique premise of a live action show being directly tied into a video game.

But what if Defiance wasn't tied into a show and was just another online game by Trion, would you still be as invested in this game?

DeMoted
04-18-2013, 08:44 AM
There's a show!?!?

Khufu
I don't watch the show and I have no desire to do so. I enjoy the game.

LALLY

I think many of us were more intrigued for this game because of the unique premise of a live action show being directly tied into a video game.

But what if Defiance wasn't tied into a show and was just another online game by Trion, would you still be as invested in this game?

hmm really dunno, would you watch the show if you didn't play the game?

Kommissar Kaede
04-18-2013, 08:45 AM
I only play the game and watch the show as a means of observing the crossover itself. Neither actually interest me.

DeMoted
04-18-2013, 08:45 AM

I can say definitely no b.c I would have never of known about it.

The Notorious Crunchwrap
04-18-2013, 08:46 AM

Now that's the question you should be asking.

Cutlass Jack
My interest in each was completely separate so yes. That they are connected vaguely is a neat novelty but not why I enjoy either.

Facade
While I am interested in the show, it could have absolutely nothing to do with the game and it wouldn't make a difference to me.

cfStatic
04-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Yes. When I heard about Defiance initially, I didn't even know that there was a show. It's just bonus points that there is.

LALLY
04-18-2013, 08:48 AM
I can say definitely no b.c I would have never of known about it.

lol did u really not know about the show?

http://www.1channel.ch/external.php?title=Defiance&url=aHR0cDovL2dvcmlsbGF2aWQuaW4vaWNyaHRsaGE0MGxm&domain=Z29yaWxsYXZpZC5pbg==&loggedin=0

hope that works

Thunderclap
04-18-2013, 08:51 AM
No. I wouldn't have. I wouldn't even have known you were here.

Hope499
04-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Meh, I would watch the show when its on, but not very hardcore. The game would be played regardless. My increased interest in the show is only becasue of the game.

Its a good show, and I will keep watchin it, but there have been shows like it before. Its like the lovechild of Farscape, firefly and stargate all mixed. Not a bad show, but not all that original or mind blowing either. The game is first of its kind (on Consoles at least)

DeMoted
04-18-2013, 08:52 AM
lol did u really not know about the show?

http://www.1channel.ch/external.php?title=Defiance&url=aHR0cDovL2dvcmlsbGF2aWQuaW4vaWNyaHRsaGE0MGxm&domain=Z29yaWxsYXZpZC5pbg==&loggedin=0

hope that works

When you don't watch SyFy and they don't show commercials on other channels that I watch... Yea without this game I would have never of heard of thisshow. There are so many shows I have never of heard of but see when I scroll through the guide. Why is this surprising to you it is not like it is the World Cup or Olympics.

Lady Genevieve
04-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Would easily play it without the show, not many other games in the category to replace Tabula Rasa.

Zoridium JackL
04-18-2013, 08:55 AM
I'd probably still play it, but I wouldn't invest in the world as much.

Thunderclap
04-18-2013, 08:55 AM
While I am interested in the show, it could have absolutely nothing to do with the game and it wouldn't make a difference to me.
Had the game not existed I still would have watched the show, Khufu I am gathering you are a PVPer because without the show, the game is a a thin weak TPS that tries to be halo or Mass effect and fails. The show is what gives it meaning.

wilks
04-18-2013, 08:56 AM

No. I would not be into this game without the show. Unless they had released it in a more finished state. Currently without the show, its a really bad mmo release plagued with bugs.

Thunderclap
04-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Would easily play it without the show, not many other games in the category to replace Tabula Rasa. Ok, if Tabula Rasa hadn't died would you still have played the game?

NarcoticDragoon
04-18-2013, 08:57 AM
If it wasn't so glitchy, and if the patch didn't break the game ten-fold, yes.
But in its current state? No, probably not.

MacDeath
04-18-2013, 08:58 AM
I would play it anyway. I used to live in the SF Bay Area and I was intrigued as soon as I heard Defiance was based there. The fact that there is a tie-in to a TV series is a plus for me.

LALLY
04-18-2013, 08:58 AM
When you don't watch SyFy and they don't show commercials on other channels that I watch... Yea without this game I would have never of heard of thisshow. There are so many shows I have never of heard of but see when I scroll through the guide. Why is this surprising to you it is not like it is the World Cup or Olympics.

lol...I gave u a link so you could watch it, trying to be nice, I don't watch syfy, I don't even watch tv, I live in England and refuse to pay for a tv licence because its mainly crap on tv here, I was surprised because the BIG thing about this game was that its tied in with a tv show, im sure 99% of people who play the game know this, that's why I was surprised.

KSC
04-18-2013, 09:03 AM
I never would have given it the time of day without the show. I hate "MMOs" or any online gaming experience, really. WoW nearly ruined my life (with my help of course), and I suck, suck, SUCK at PVP. If it's not bullet hell, fighter, puzzle, vintage, ect, the only games I'll typically play are those I can play offline, have good stories, and definitive endings! For instance, I play Halo campaigns, then I'm done with them.

I would watch the show without playing the game, but the only reason I was intriqued by the game was due to the cross-over of the two mediums. If the Defiance game existed entirely in it's own universe/timeline, I would have most likely passed.

edit: Ok, I may have checked it out eventually if the show became a favorite, but I wouldn't have bothered going out of my way to get it on release day and played it so much before the Premiere on 4/15.

I don't watch the show and I have no desire to do so. I enjoy the game.

Why wouldn't you, exactly? I liken that to listening to a band, yet having no desire to see them play live.

Cutlass Jack
04-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Why wouldn't you, exactly? I liken that to listening to a band, yet having no desire to see them play live.

Running with your analogy, some people might enjoy shooting at Justin Bieber more than listening to him play music. (Not that I'm suggesting anyone actually do this!)

Khufu
04-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Had the game not existed I still would have watched the show, Khufu I am gathering you are a PVPer because without the show, the game is a a thin weak TPS that tries to be halo or Mass effect and fails. The show is what gives it meaning.

You've gathered incorrectly, sir. I'm not a big fan of PVP. I picked this up hoping it was going to be something like Tabula Rosa, Fallen Earth, Hellgate: London. Sadly it's not close to any of those games. I've enjoyed my playtime but I'll be done with this game before the end of the month.

GoldenTouchDown
04-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Of course, it's a PVE MMO with shooter combat, only this game and Firefall can say that and Firefall is still in beta.

DeMoted
04-18-2013, 09:09 AM
lol...I gave u a link so you could watch it, trying to be nice, I don't watch syfy, I don't even watch tv, I live in England and refuse to pay for a tv licence because its mainly crap on tv here, I was surprised because the BIG thing about this game was that its tied in with a tv show, im sure 99% of people who play the game know this, that's why I was surprised.

I did watch it a while ago... I am saying if I didn't play this game I would have never of heard of the show.

Sajin
04-18-2013, 09:10 AM

That is soooooo a Developer question.

LALLY
04-18-2013, 09:12 AM
There's a show!?!?

ok I was just a bit confused seeing as you said this ^^^^^

CapN CooK 420
04-18-2013, 09:12 AM
I was so happy when the show was actually good. Only reason I got this game was because of the rare entertainment chance! Video game + show = great oppurtunity. The game will die off way before the show and then all that they will care about will be the show.

Remag Div
04-18-2013, 09:13 AM

I took that as sarcasm. ;)

LALLY
04-18-2013, 09:13 AM
That is soooooo a Developer question.

haha that so is! haha FAIL for the devs trying to get a sneaky message in

DeMoted
04-18-2013, 09:14 AM

Ohh sorry that was just some sarcastic humor. My real response is two down.

Frostlight
04-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Yes.

#1: It's a fun game and gives me exactly what I've been craving for years. A TPS in a massive, persistent, open world.
#2: I live in the Bay Area and it amuses the hell out of me.
#3: The core game mechanic is immensely fun (both combat and driving).

Those 3 points make up for a lot of the downsides, most of which will be fixed with upcoming patches.

Viibl
04-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Of course. The game is great and the TV show is meh.

LALLY
04-18-2013, 09:16 AM
I took that as sarcasm. ;)

why did he send this then?...

xXDEATHMOBXx
04-18-2013, 09:22 AM

Not in the sad state its in. Very little content and unless you want to wait forever for a drop of content to ooze out here and there this game is beatable in a day or so. Good job tho! They successfully screwed me outta $60 which isnt easy.

Kerry
04-18-2013, 09:23 AM

I pre-ordered Defiance based on about 3 hours of game time during the final beta weekend.

The TV show is just a bonus.

Fiancee
04-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Most likely, Im here after all Trion did Rift..

RegularX
04-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Yes. The show tie-in is interesting to me, but hardly a requirement.

Sajin
04-18-2013, 09:26 AM
haha that so is! haha FAIL for the devs trying to get a sneaky message in

Yeah...but if they cancel the show and put the money into the game...

Durva360
04-18-2013, 09:26 AM
I love anything dealing with aliens so yes I would still play the game even if the show wasn't around but by having the show and the game I feel like we get a better understanding of what has happened and different all the races can be.

Dr D Wayne Love
04-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Yes.
And I wouldn't watch the show if the game didn't exist.

Bushmaster2000
04-18-2013, 09:37 AM
I don't think the show will have any impact on how long i play the game. Two things will impact how long i play the game, first is how long my friends play the game and second is how frequently content comes out to offset the boredom factor over time curve.

DeMoted
04-18-2013, 09:39 AM

why did he send this then?...
B.c you didn't quote my sarcasm post.

Miss Terri
04-18-2013, 09:39 AM
I would and did buy the game because of its novelty, not because there was a tv show. The tv show may add some longevity to the gameplay/story but to be honest im fed up with the game already, certain things far too easy others far too hard, too many glitches and oh yeah the ringpiecesucking community, on the upside massive world and huge multiplayer platform for a console but now the novelty has worn off its just another ok game, wasnt that impressed by the tv show, maybe the show will survive because of the game and vice versa. who knows we will just have to wait and see.(if anyone actually cares by that time)