PDA

View Full Version : The casual players MMO, that' s all we have here

Santana Ortega
04-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Defiance as we are all aware of now, is simply a casual players game, MMO or Shooter.

Simple as that.

Anyone that is expecting massive amounts of stuff to do like in a normal MMO is going to be unhappy. There just is not that amount of content.

Play the story out, complete it and wait for something to do...Casual gaming.

Do the various quests, time trials, hotshots and all, get EGO points for leveling...all to be done as a Casual gamer.

Wait for episodic new content to get put into the game...maybe once every 2 weeks to a month wreaks of casual gaming.

So if you are a typical gamer, that buys a game, gets hooked on it and blows through all there is to offer then you will not like that there is nothing to honestly do after you have finished part 1 of the storyline.

I personally do not understand the concept of pumping out games that have a short shelf life these days.
Sure it is a quick buck for the developers, but I still think it is short sighted...especially in this case where there is a TV show attached to the game.

This game was conceptually designed wrong from the start. The Game should have been taking place NEAR St. Louis/Defiance. Say maybe New Orleans or Chicago. Let's even go as far away as Atlanta or Dallas. This would have allowed for a direction for the player to venture towards to get caught up in the TV show. I just do not see any tie in with Defiance and San Francisco AT ALL.
Whoever thought to have 2 separate areas to have a co op game concept was just thinking poorly, and those that went along are just as short sighted.

Fallout 3 was one thing, it did not tie into a TV show. Borderlands has no TV tie in. GW2 and WoW have no TV tie in. As RIFT has none.

Let's be obvious...

If the game took place in Defiance, let's say you started out in San Francisco, did all the story arc up to obtaining the crystal. Nolan could have offered you to join them to go to east...thus leading all to Defiance.

Now you are there, Nolan and irisa are there and everything ties in.

You the player go outside thew walls to venture and quest just like the game is now. Same everything and even do the Nim Part 1 storyline, just move it to the new area...say Kansas City, which is close enough to not be a big deal.
Even if you were to have started in New Orleans things could have been better.

Now you have the ability to get back to Defiance and have a hub of activity, even if it was sharded for population reasons.
Instances could branch off of the town, RAIDS could be based from Defiance and have the raid venture to other nearby cities for Arkteck. I mean the ideas are endless...Where the game is now based has no hub, base of operations...you are alone.

The Night is dark and full of Terrors

Defiance has NO TV tie in.

Ikagawa
04-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Man, I want to play your version of Defiance.

ironhands
04-18-2013, 01:01 PM
This game was conceptually designed wrong from the start. The Game should have been taking place NEAR St. Louis/Defiance. Say maybe New Orleans or Chicago. Let's even go as far away as Atlanta or Dallas. This would have allowed for a direction for the player to venture towards to get caught up in the TV show. I just do not see any tie in with Defiance and San Francisco AT ALL.
Whoever thought to have 2 separate areas to have a co op game concept was just thinking poorly, and those that went along are just as short sighted.

The Battle of Defiance was one of the final battles of the Pale Wars fought in San Francisco in December 2030. Might want to check your facts next time.

They are separate to give them each room to grow.

We also know that season 2 has something to do with Vegas....

Viibl
04-18-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm not a casual gamer and I like Defiance.

So much for that theory!

Ikagawa
04-18-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm not a casual gamer and I like Defiance.

So much for that theory!

You just started, didn't you? ;)

Kommissar Kaede
04-18-2013, 01:15 PM
You don't understand the point of short shelf life on games?

Consider the volume of games that come out. Theres simply not enough time to play them.

Viibl
04-18-2013, 01:22 PM
You just started, didn't you? ;)

Is EGO 1100 "just started?" If so, then I guess so.

Schwa
04-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Go try Free Realms. It's seriously the same game as Defiance, just with different combat mechanics.

JMadFour
04-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Go try Free Realms. It's seriously the same game as Defiance, just with different combat mechanics.

yeah, no.

and I've actually played Free Realms.

Defiance has many issues but saying it is the same as Free Realms, that's just pointless over exaggeration.

MRE
04-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Hey, I like your ideas, go write for trion and i may buy some dlc ;)

Jestunhi
04-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Anyone that is expecting massive amounts of stuff to do like in a normal MMO is going to be unhappy. There just is not that amount of content.

1 slight tweak: "Anyone that is expecting massive amounts of stuff to do like in a normal MMORPG is going to be unhappy. There just is not that amount of content."

Schwa
04-18-2013, 01:37 PM
yeah, no.

and I've actually played Free Realms.

Defiance has many issues but saying it is the same as Free Realms, that's just pointless over exaggeration.

I'm not saying everything is the same, I'm saying the base concepts are identical.

Hycinthus
04-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Man, I want to play your version of Defiance.

Omg i 800% agree i want to play his version of defiance. Yes just keep the same environment. Its all hilly and mountainous you cant tell if its outskirts pf SF or outskirts of st louis. As long as we can return home at night to inside the barrier in defiance.

As pf right now the night does feel lonely and full of terrors

Applpgize misspelling on my phone.

Ikagawa
04-18-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm not saying everything is the same, I'm saying the base concepts are identical.

The base concepts would be GTA multiplayer ;)

Santana Ortega
The Battle of Defiance was one of the final battles of the Pale Wars fought in San Francisco in December 2030. Might want to check your facts next time.

They are separate to give them each room to grow.

We also know that season 2 has something to do with Vegas....

Yes I understand that but it really is not necessary to have the game start here because the Battle of Defiance is long over and the game is not tied into the battle for continuity. ie. 13 years after the fact.

Room to grow? There is plenty room to grow...why bother with a TV tie in if there is 2000 miles between them. Sure Nolan was in St Louis when the Voltan arrived, but where is his and Irisa's backstory...I suppose in the TV show. But we are talking game here.

Did not know about Vegas, but then again Vegas is over used in games.

Schwa
1 slight tweak: "Anyone that is expecting massive amounts of stuff to do like in a normal MMORPG is going to be unhappy. There just is not that amount of content."

We have every reason to expect more from Trion, as they set their own precident of quality and content with Rift.

Ikagawa
04-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Yes I understand that but it really is not necessary to have the game start here because the Battle of Defiance is long over and the game is not tied into the battle for continuity. ie. 13 years after the fact.

The lore reason would be because it's where the highest concentration of Arkfalls are occurring. And some blah blah about whatever Von Bach is doing out here.

Room to grow? There is plenty room to grow...why bother with a TV tie in?

Because that's what SyFy wanted to develop it as. They didn't want just a TV, they wanted to trying something new with dual mediums.

Cyripax NeoPrime
04-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Sounds like your unhappy with the game OP. Maybe its not for you. Come back after all 5 dlc release and you might be pleasantly suprised

Darth Haighter
04-18-2013, 01:53 PM
i think the OP has some valid points to make, but regardless if you agree or not, it does paint a cool picture

Traxx
04-18-2013, 01:58 PM
True, but it is a great game to attract NEW players to MMO. SyFy is seeking a broader audience so the game is set to appeal to more and varied players. I think they did a good job of this.

Verugan
04-18-2013, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't be for raids; at most 8 player coop maps but even that's pushing it

ironhands
04-18-2013, 02:01 PM

Room to grow? There is plenty room to grow...why bother with a TV tie in if there is 2000 miles between them. Sure Nolan was in St Louis when the Voltan arrived, but where is his and Irisa's backstory...I suppose in the TV show. But we are talking game here.

Did not know about Vegas, but then again Vegas is over used in games.

The game is not tied to the battle?? IT IS NAMED AFTER THE BATTLE. You meet 3 of the "defiant few" who fought in that battle in the course of the game.

Why'd they name the ship and movie Serenity, when it doesn't take place in Serenity Valley...

Ikagawa
04-18-2013, 02:02 PM
The game is not tied to the battle?? IT IS NAMED AFTER THE BATTLE. You meet 3 of the "defiant few" who fought in that battle in the course of the game.

As Nolan said when he got to Defiance, what isn't named after the battle? It's a tenuous tie-in at best.