PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles and Vehicular Combat

Cyber
06-07-2012, 08:34 AM
So it does appear that vehicles and some form of vehicular combat is in the game, as you can see a Warthog (sorry to use the Halo reference) in one of the Defiance trailers at around 0:30, shown below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siQfooemkI0

I haven't had time to watch every gameplay video coming out of E3, so has anyone seen anything else about vehicles in Defiance and what types will be included in the game? It would be pretty exciting to have access to a range of vehicles that can be used for more than just transport.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 08:40 AM
That would be the Terrestrial Motorworks Hannibal 800TR Quad! Every player gets one and can summon it at any time. I think there is also mention somewhere of more hardy car-like vehicle with weapons on it.

Cyber
06-07-2012, 08:44 AM
That would be the Terrestrial Motorworks Hannibal 800TR Quad! Every player gets one and can summon it at any time. I think there is also mention somewhere of more hardy car-like vehicle with weapons on it.

The vehicles shown at 0:30 in the above video is most certainly not the quad, as it is larger, has a different front end, and has a gunner on the back.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 08:47 AM
The vehicles shown at 0:30 in the above video is most certainly not the quad, as it is larger, has a different front end, and has a gunner on the back.

I was thinking of the wrong video but you get the major idea. Those quads run of fuel processed from hellbug waste.

Cyber
06-07-2012, 08:49 AM
I was thinking of the wrong video but you get the major idea. Those quads run of fuel processed from hellbug waste.

Yes, I was thinking about what we would like to see beyond the Quad.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Another vehicle from the show and possibly the game.
Here. (http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/images/f/f2/Defiance_vehicle_01.jpg)

Cyber
06-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Hoo boy...how would you like to take that thing out on some sand dunes? Well it is good to see that we will (potentially) be getting a variety of vehicles in the game. I wonder if they will consider any form of air vehicles like dropships or something. Perhaps not really necessary for the direction of the game, but it would be pretty awesome to be able to transport an entire group into a war zone.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Hoo boy...how would you like to take that thing out on some sand dunes? Well it is good to see that we will (potentially) be getting a variety of vehicles in the game. I wonder if they will consider any form of air vehicles like dropships or something. Perhaps not really necessary for the direction of the game, but it would be pretty awesome to be able to transport an entire group into a war zone.

Maybe you can train a hellbug and ride it around.

Adsinonimous
06-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Maybe you can train a hellbug and ride it around.

Now that would be cool! I think that having guns on vehicles could make both, PvE and PvP, very interesting as it adds a whole other dimension to combat,

Quizzical Harpy
06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
So they are like mounts?

Adsinonimous
06-07-2012, 01:25 PM
So they are like mounts?

I guess so. Maybe there will also be multiple seated mounts that you cannot summon but find for certain mission and I hope there is some interaction with the environment such as turrets.

Cyber
06-07-2012, 03:20 PM
So they are like mounts?

If you are referring to the Quad ATV, then yes it is exactly like a mount as you can read about here (http://www.gamezone.com/products/defiance/previews/e3-2012-defiance-hands-on). The Quad can be summoned at any time by any player, and is granted to every character created in the game.

Adsinonimous
06-07-2012, 05:03 PM
If you are referring to the Quad ATV, then yes it is exactly like a mount as you can read about here (http://www.gamezone.com/products/defiance/previews/e3-2012-defiance-hands-on). The Quad can be summoned at any time by any player, and is granted to every character created in the game.

I wonder if they'll add the chance to customize your Quad further down the line. That would be awesome.

Escyos
06-07-2012, 08:20 PM
I wonder if they'll add the chance to customize your Quad further down the line. That would be awesome.

I'm thinking you won't be able to upgrade it as everyone gets one and can summon it anywhere and its easier to have the same template for everyone than millions of different ones. But then again I'm not too informed on how these games work so I may be wrong.

Adsinonimous
06-08-2012, 03:48 AM
I'm thinking you won't be able to upgrade it as everyone gets one and can summon it anywhere and its easier to have the same template for everyone than millions of different ones.

I was more thinking in terms of colours to match your character..

Escyos
06-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Turns out there are multi-player vehicles which you can use for vehicle combat.

Source (http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58814/defiance-e3-gameplay-demo/)

Cyber
06-09-2012, 02:48 PM
MP vehicles were already shown in the original trailer, so not surprising, but it is good to hear that they will be (by the sounds of it) more than one type. It will be interesting to see what kind of MP vehicles they will have besides the "Warthog" style jeep.

Escyos
06-09-2012, 09:13 PM
MP vehicles were already shown in the original trailer, so not surprising, but it is good to hear that they will be (by the sounds of it) more than one type. It will be interesting to see what kind of MP vehicles they will have besides the "Warthog" style jeep.

Had to rewatch that trailer again, but I see it now. I'm hoping we can get a light tank and just roll through everything in out paths!

Cyber
06-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Had to rewatch that trailer again, but I see it now. I'm hoping we can get a light tank and just roll through everything in out paths!

That would indeed be very cool. Hopefully, there will be plenty of content in which to use such vehicles (either PvP or PvE). I think it would be a lot of fun to have a team based mission where the party loads up into combat vehicles and has to complete certain objectives that way. Here's hoping!

Escyos
06-10-2012, 12:41 AM
That would indeed be very cool. Hopefully, there will be plenty of content in which to use such vehicles (either PvP or PvE). I think it would be a lot of fun to have a team based mission where the party loads up into combat vehicles and has to complete certain objectives that way. Here's hoping!

Well there are time trial missions for the vehicles so you know that the devs have vehicle specific missions on their mind.

Shrapnil
06-10-2012, 01:00 PM
That is going to be so awesome. I hope we will be able to either craft or buy them for regular transportation as well. Would be a shame to just have those for a limited time, or for a special ark fall event.

Cyber
06-11-2012, 08:40 AM
That is going to be so awesome. I hope we will be able to either craft or buy them for regular transportation as well. Would be a shame to just have those for a limited time, or for a special ark fall event.

I agree. I too hope that the vehicles (beyone just the Quad) will be permanent in some fashion, either for individual players or clans. I also like the idea of crafting them, which isn't something I recall hearing anything about.

Shrapnil
06-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I agree. I too hope that the vehicles (beyone just the Quad) will be permanent in some fashion, either for individual players or clans. I also like the idea of crafting them, which isn't something I recall hearing anything about.

Yea i have not heard anything about being able to craft them, but with all that tech falling from the sky i am sure some crafty engineer can put something together haha. Maybe make it end game ark fall event for the schematic or something.

Adsinonimous
06-13-2012, 01:39 PM

I have always loved the idea of riding round on a bigger mount (vehicle) than everybody else. lol - But what you said about clans got me thinking. Imagine having a Guild House and maybe Garage in which you can upgrade and build vehicles for your guild to access from the garage and take where they please. These vehicles could have different roles such as driving and gunning.

Cyber
06-13-2012, 02:23 PM
I have always loved the idea of riding round on a bigger mount (vehicle) than everybody else. lol - But what you said about clans got me thinking. Imagine having a Guild House and maybe Garage in which you can upgrade and build vehicles for your guild to access from the garage and take where they please. These vehicles could have different roles such as driving and gunning.

Maybe even have the clan hall be a huge base on wheels! Hah...that would be pretty impressive, although I doubt it would even happen...a mobile clan meeting place plus factory. I could see the interesting strategies that could arise in open world PvP (please give us open PvP) where a clan could take their mobile base to the front line to crank out vehicles or provide supplies, but doing so would be a calculated risk since the mobile bases could be attacked.

Imagine the possibilities! But, alas, now I am just dreaming...

Shrapnil
06-14-2012, 11:05 AM

The player garage could add a port for RPers. Playing a former soldier turned mechanic could be interesting for sure. THere is just so much they could do with this since the time period is in the future.

Adsinonimous
06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
since the time period is in the future.

So true, but I worry that they wont add many features to the game as they have a television series and a console. I worry that they may use this as an excuse to not innovate in other ways although, new mechanics would be a bit silly to implement at the moment, seeing as there is going to be next generation consoles being revealed soon.

Shrapnil
06-14-2012, 02:53 PM
So true, but I worry that they wont add many features to the game as they have a television series and a console. I worry that they may use this as an excuse to not innovate in other ways although, new mechanics would be a bit silly to implement at the moment, seeing as there is going to be next generation consoles being revealed soon.

I am not to worried about next gen consoles. The only one coming out soon is the Wii U, if xbox and ps was ready to unveil their next gen consoles they would have done so at E3 this year. I think we still have a solid 2 years left before the console wars begins again. Games are just now starting to reach the consoles full potential, so gamers are happy for the time being. The need for new consoles are just not in the gamers minds according to the press at E3. They just want quality games, that have large replay value.

I am not really expecting a whole lot of innovation from these guys other than merging the gaming and TV entertainment industries.

Adsinonimous
06-16-2012, 05:19 PM
I am not really expecting a whole lot of innovation from these guys other than merging the gaming and TV entertainment industries.

I'm not expecting much more but I hope they have innovated in the actual game and television series as singular projects aswell because that is the key word in game development, today. - INNOVATION

Arkamenitas
07-14-2012, 08:14 PM
do want moar combat vehicles... :D

Aaronjin
07-31-2012, 01:29 PM
no horses? heh

Arkamenitas
08-12-2012, 02:13 PM
so glad they confirmed that in at least certain situations, combat vehicles are in.

i am so ready to blow shiii...stuff up. we need a beta already :p

Major Nelson
03-16-2013, 09:19 AM
do want moar combat vehicles... :D

i was watching the 1 hour defiance with IGN on youtbe and IGN asked about vehicles and the dev said there was a few dozen. hope that clears up anything