PDA

View Full Version : why isnt this game getting patched constanly?

Blueandwhite87
04-19-2013, 06:09 PM
i remember playing guild wars 2 at launch it had tons of patches, like every or every other day, this game has tons of bugs but like no patches? the only thing i can think of is because of consoles they need to do a big patch every 2 weeks? or what do you guys think it is?

Vilyn117
04-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Youre kidding right? Lol.

CReaper210
04-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Hasn't there been? We have been forced offline for awhile every couple days while they addressed a few issues every time.
They will be doing big patches every once in a while, but they have said before that they have to go through the certification process. But they have still been doing lots of small patches in between.

Hermit Grimm
04-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Obvious troll is obvious?

If hes serious, Id really hope a forum poster would be better informed than this.

Blueandwhite87
04-19-2013, 06:16 PM
im sorry when they take the servers offline for a restart that patches things? where are the notes to this?

Vilyn117
04-19-2013, 06:21 PM
im sorry when they take the servers offline for a restart that patches things? where are the notes to this?

Whenever I try to log on.

AgentRed
04-19-2013, 06:22 PM
its small stuff so they don't put it up XD

gmartinqc
04-19-2013, 06:23 PM
I get what the OP is saying. He is right after launch GW2 updated sometimes multiple times every day. It is pretty frustrating trying to enjoy the game only to be crushed by differant bugs.

I am stuck in the story line on my 2nd playthrough I cannot progress in PvP since my pursuits keep resetting. And now today, all but one of my weekly contracts just reset.

Mivo
04-19-2013, 06:26 PM
I get what the OP is saying. He is right after launch GW2 updated sometimes multiple times every day. It is pretty frustrating trying to enjoy the game only to be crushed by differant bugs.

And they were all low-bandwidth patches. No 4 GB downloads for minimal changes. GW2 actually did a lot of things right. It didn't "grab" me because it was too much like WoW, but I think they did a good job with it. GW2 is the only recent game that can be compared to Defiance in terms of business model, and they did much better, sadly.

WhiteCell
04-19-2013, 06:29 PM
i remember playing guild wars 2 at launch it had tons of patches, like every or every other day, this game has tons of bugs but like no patches? the only thing i can think of is because of consoles they need to do a big patch every 2 weeks? or what do you guys think it is?

Guild Wars 2 isn't a multiplatform game either. The PC client was influenced heavily by the console client so much that I think Trion got caught up with trying to streamline the process too much making it more difficult than it needs to be on for the PC. I think that's changing though because there have been several patches whether it's client side or server side for the PC.

Blueandwhite87
04-19-2013, 07:35 PM
so your saying the game is being patched or not being patched daily?

Avelya
04-19-2013, 07:36 PM
so your saying the game is being patched or not being patched daily?

It's not. You always have the Update button when you log in, but it doesn't actually update everytime.

Guild Wars 2 isn't a multiplatform game either. The PC client was influenced heavily by the console client so much that I think Trion got caught up with trying to streamline the process too much making it more difficult than it needs to be on for the PC. I think that's changing though because there have been several patches whether it's client side or server side for the PC.

PC and consoles should not have the same patch calendar (nor should they have same UI for example...) as it's not even cross platform so it doesn't make ANY difference what PC gets vs console... and they could actually try their patches with PC, kinda what they are doing right now, but right now it's with huge patches with A LOT of glitches and stuff... ( I still CANNOT believe they made most of the combat data client-side... creating all those ridiculous hacks... how bad can you be ? )

Warkaiser
04-19-2013, 07:45 PM

Defiance has been getting small patches constantly. I dont think Ive seen the game go 2 full days, 3 at most, without any sort of patch (except maybe on the weekend). The larger patches, like the one on the 15th, is to fix a bigger list of issues, most of them more complex than say simply fixing a single mission that is getting bugged. Unfortunately that patch had its own set of issues, but theyre working on fixing all of that as well. There is no magical button they can press that just fixes things. Sometimes finding the cause of even the simplest bugs can take dozens of hours to isolate, and it can be as simple as 1 incorrect number or an incorrect decimal place or as complex as hundreds / thousand of lines of code that are all off in some way and that entire system needing to be rewritten.

Also, Guild Wars 2 patched constantly, but many of the patches also either did little to nothing to fix several issues, or made those issues worse on top of creating new issues. It took a good month and half to 2 months or so for them to really start nailing several issues down, like the constant bugging of several dynamic events, skill challenges, etc.

Ninno20
04-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Really I'm sure they do a patch every night in maintenance, there was one last night which fixed conkhite bunker. Not to mention the major one they had 4 days ago.

So yeh "cool -incorrect- story bro"

Zoridium JackL
04-19-2013, 08:13 PM
they patch heaps, but because they want to keep all versions of the qame equally up to date they have to wait for some patches to be cleared by microsoft/sony before they can release it, that takes time. but it doesn't meant the game isn't getting patched at all, it just means you won't get many client side patches, they are always taking the server down to apply server side patches.

Ninno20
04-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Most patches are server side, you don't always have to re-download. And even if you did a small update will be done pretty much instantly.

Taaltos
04-19-2013, 08:28 PM
/facepalm

There have been DAILY server side patches across all systems as they tweak the server code and settings. First priority, get the server stable and lag free, second priority fix bugs.

EdgeTW
04-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Actually, Guild Wars 2 is available on the PC and Mac. Which, to be fair, used to be the original definition of multi-platform.

Anyway, the mistake Defiance makes is in focusing on shoving everything into large patch releases rather than pushing smaller fixes whenever they're ready. I think players would appreciate smaller patches more consistently than larger, over-hyped patches that are few and far between, often appear to break as much as they fix, and generally underwhelm and fall short of player expectations anyway.

ShiMoShinkenFry
04-19-2013, 08:35 PM
So wait the patch I got the other day was a lie? o.o

Ninno20
04-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Your whole existence is a lie, in fact you only exist if i exist, and i'm not quiet sure i do.

squidney2k1
04-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Because Patches cost money.

If they released an update for every few minor tweaks and fixes, it wouldn't be cost effective at all. General practice is to gather a bunch of data, and then after you create the fixes, spend hrs and hrs thoroughly (ha!) testing them to make sure it works, and when you have 100 things to fix, that takes some time.

But I agree that 2 weeks for a major patch (one that needed to be patched itself and caused 7 hrs of downtime) is too long, and it was a big one at that. They should do a weekly patch, and whatever ain't ready to go out will just have to wait. It is pretty stupid to hold out on crucial fixes that have been tested to work, simply because other fixes aren't ready.

Ninno20
04-19-2013, 08:50 PM
But they do release minor tweaks and updates..... If Trion were all about the money they wouldn't have put it on the line with one of the first/most recent attempts at a console mmo.

+ I don't think they cost that much, other then the staff they pay normally.

Avelya
04-19-2013, 08:53 PM
+ I don't think they cost that much, other then the staff they pay normally.

He means on consoles there's a fee for pushing a patch on Xbox Live and PSN. No additional fees I can think of on PC.

Ninno20
04-19-2013, 08:59 PM
He means on consoles there's a fee for pushing a patch on Xbox Live and PSN. No additional fees I can think of on PC.
I did not know this.
Even for server side updates?

Blueandwhite87
04-19-2013, 11:01 PM
i wanna know this too

AZAG0TH
04-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Microsoft/Xbox Live charges $40,000 per patch. (http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/02/14/203247/xbox-360-game-patching-costs-40000) This is an insane amount of money. I have no idea what PS Network charges.

No fee for server side patches. That's why they happen so often, and why the "Big Patches" seem to take so long (well the price combined with the approval process anyway). I really think that if this was a PC only game (or if XBox wasn't bat**** with their pricing) we'd see a lot more smaller client side patches fixing a lot of bugs.

I think that Trion should look at what Gotham City Imposters did - I believe they somehow they got around the $40,000 fee by patching In-Game. GCI would only patch after you were actually in game an signed in to their network.

jvp
04-20-2013, 10:18 AM
the only thing i can think of is because of consoles they need to do a big patch every 2 weeks?

More than likely this.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/02/14/xbox-360-patching-costs-40000/

EDIT: Dude above me got it.

Taaltos
04-20-2013, 10:21 AM
HOLY CRAP!

I wouldn't patch regularly either, and I bet those in charge of Defiance are pisssssed at the BOOM GOES THE PATCH fiasco.

Blueandwhite87
04-20-2013, 10:22 AM
i take it were getting less patches because of the 40000 dollar fee..

Blueandwhite87
04-20-2013, 03:49 PM
sooo seems like were getting mixed answers in this thread, im hearing its being patched, its not, what is it doing?

Kroesis
04-20-2013, 03:57 PM
sooo seems like were getting mixed answers in this thread, im hearing its being patched, its not, what is it doing?
Yes..... and no.

The server side is likely getting patched but client side isn't so much... yet. Just wait, sure a new client patch will be announced soonish.

Lupis Volk
04-20-2013, 04:45 PM

Patches take time. the need to see if the patch fixes the bugs their aimed at and vice versa. they can't just click their fingers and patch the game. Be glad they are patching it as fast as they can. CoD drags it's feet with Patches.

Booshy
04-20-2013, 05:05 PM

Rift Storm Legion had hot fixes like crazy during the first few weeks of it's release. I'm also really surprised there hasn't been more hotfixes and smaller but more frequent patches. Waiting a few weeks to compile massive patches isn't the way to go when there are so many issues.