PDA

View Full Version : The Good and the Bad

BLACKAPOCOLYPSE
04-20-2013, 02:01 AM
Hi guys.

Ive had Defiance since the first week of its release, i was interested in seeing what an MMO on the xbox would be like as i have never played one. First thoughts where pretty good, yes the graphics are not the best and the gameplay is a little repetitive but its fun. I like the idea of people just working together to complete goals and missions. it was cool seeing some other guys just come along and give a helping hand. I dont have a lot of time at the minute because of my wife and job so i only get on a couple of nights in the week and all day sunday :D

As far as issues and problems go i have only had a couple, the first i joined a coop mission and there was no enemies and the second i was kicked out the game as the server crashed, so for me its run ok, Lag on arkfalls is p**sing me off but i can cope with this.

What worries me though is the game becoming dead in the not so distant future, its going to be hard to keep a game going and fresh a new with no subscription, the funds may not be there when the sales die off ??

For me playing an MMO is great fun but i wanted it to be deeper. Missions that have a recommended Ego level to enter else you will get your As* kicked, much like borderlands, areas of the map you cannot go to until you level up enough, the guns and levels of the guns are pretty much a waste of time, they dont work ?? Also a lock box for your own inventory is needed badly. Battle arenas so you can challenge other players or clans to a one on one death match, Ego up for stakes ?? Items in the world that would really make your player unique instead of everyone being a clone of each other almost.

Ovarall i love defiance and will play whenever i can, hopefully i will see some of you out there :D but i have played games since the early 80s Atari 2600 lol and im now 35 and just want a bit more from my games, so come on Trion your doing a great job but make it legendary :D

Gamertag BLACKAPOCOLYPSE ( Mature Friends welcome )

Orge Lambart
04-20-2013, 02:07 AM
The game is skill based, so really no need to have ego level requirements on missions. Also some weapons are ultra easy to use, like AR, LMG, SMG, if the game is too easy, swap them out something harder, like a BMG, sawed off or a rocket launcher.

Xepher
04-20-2013, 02:09 AM
Theres no subscription fee because there funded by the show if they arnt up to par with what the producers think then they get cut off or so I've read.

Orge Lambart
04-20-2013, 02:13 AM
The game are show are working side by side but they are independent of each other. So if the show fails the game will live on.

Sneaktastic
04-20-2013, 02:16 AM
Theres no subscription fee because there funded by the show if they arnt up to par with what the producers think then they get cut off or so I've read.
no the show takes no part in paying for the game the network syfy pays for the show and makes money off of the show as the game is being funded much like guild wars 2. 1 purchase up front along with micro transactions to keep constant revenue as well they are releasing some payed dlc that will also partially help with the revenue.

BLACKAPOCOLYPSE
04-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Hey Xepher

That,s really what worries me, i watched the show and have to say im not convinced, it was ok but the visual effects where all a little low budget which in a show like this can cause problems. I am a huge sci fi fan, always have been and i have watched a lot of shows, i know special effects do not make a show, like top graphics do not make a game but i still have worries that Defiance the show may never take off and gets cut before a second season ? then what for the game ? I guess all i want to know is if im going to invest a lot of time and money into the game, i want to make sure ill be able to play it in a years time with a world full of like minded people. Its all ifs buts and may be's i know that, nobody knows what will come but thats my only concern really.

I was to slow replying lol you guys have answered already.

Befallen
04-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Micro-transactions have worked for many free to play games and have worked pretty well on the asian market and somewhat well on the american with guild wars 2. The game goes by skill and the micro transactions are for speed leveling or buying gear to look different basically the same as guild wars 2 and any other type. If you live in america and have game informer magazine you'll notice the first topic is about micro transactions being rediculous that anyone would pay real money for some digital item that we'd never or hardly ever use then down the road the game is removed from life and you never see that money again or item.

People toss their money the way they want to and it's their choice. It's nice to help people not waste their money but it's pointless to when they earned it themselves. This game is mindless shooting which attracts a huge crowd that wants to get out stress. If you did the research you'd see how little a triple a game has in content and yet gets ridiculous amounts of money. The people that whine about this game seem to be the ones that play those games with less content but can't connect to let loose their stress in this and just pointlessly whine until they finally leave. There are a lot of good complaints but most are whining and the good ones get answered in patches except they stated their oops in this one.

Buy to play seems best imo because you get the content but you aren't forced to buy the micro transactions. Free to play basically cuts half the game from the player and forces them to pay the subscription fee to get the full game then they get the choice in micro transactions on top of that.

Hybridizm
04-20-2013, 02:30 AM
They'll make their money off the micro transactions and the DLC content. DLC will most likely more expensive anyhow. I reckon one main DLC could cost between 1600 - 2000 MSP. I like the free to play option, only thing that worries me is how serious they are about the community they want to gain and keep ahold of. With no subscription fee, they may not feel as obliged to provide us with quality content. Who knows though, I could be completely wrong.

Orge Lambart
04-20-2013, 03:07 AM
DLC will be 800 points each, as evidenced by them saying the season pass gives you 5 pieces of content at 39.99 and you saving 10 dollars over buying the content individually.

Hybridizm
04-20-2013, 03:11 AM
DLC will be 800 points each, as evidenced by them saying the season pass gives you 5 pieces of content at 39.99 and you saving 10 dollars over buying the content individually.

Okay, that is poor logic from me then. I never really take note of season passes simply because I think for most games they're a waste of time but in this case I may just have to purchase the season pass then :) thanks for that info