PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else NOT dying during arkfalls?

RushNlowZ
04-20-2013, 12:04 PM
I've been trying to work on player revives during major arkfalls, but I've noticed the fact that almost no one ever goes down. I know this sounds like a strange complaint, but when a pursuit calls for 100 player revives during a major arkfall that's a substantial number of revives when the arkfalls aren't dishing out enough damage to actually drop many players. Maybe Trion needs to amp up the arkfalls to be more challenging. And don't just increase the health of the critters. Something more aggressive. Maybe more hard hitting brute type enemies. Something, cause as it stands the arkfalls are TOO EASY and getting revives is pretty much gonna take forever without boosting.

That or change the criteria to include all arkfalls, because to be honest there aren't many pursuits that include minor arkfalls and most of the time the minor arkfalls are more challenging to begin with. Example look at the minor arkfall for Hellbug Extermination. Those spires that shoot the goo ordinance have downed me more than the creatures and their respawn is to the point that kill one and a new one immediately pops up on the other side of the ark and is already raining hell on you from the new location.

I'd like to know what the rest of the community thinks. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Jeronan
04-20-2013, 12:07 PM
I hardly ever died during Arkfalls to be honest. Especially when there are a lot of players on the scene, everything dies real fast.

And now With hackers even one shotting the endboss (and pretty much everything else) even less players will die lol.

Rhorge
04-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Dying at an arkfall is just bad luck more than anything.

Swarm
04-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Dying at an arkfall is just bad luck more than anything.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/216/7nTnr.png

alienoid
04-20-2013, 12:13 PM
It happens more often at minor ones, there are few players at those usually.

Beck
04-20-2013, 12:17 PM
I find a lot of people also use their self revive right away and give another player th chance to revive them.

Defy
04-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Usually not

Ichidakiller
04-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Only time I die during arkfalls is when those archers and tentacles shooty things pop up and im in scope mode I happen to get hit by 3-4 at once.

Misguidance
04-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Most of the time, no, I manage not to die. I have been in some Arkfalls that have been complete bloodbaths, though- especially the ones where you have 2 Monarchs rampaging about. Those can get nasty very fast if people aren't light on their feet.

SuPeR X AnGeR
04-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Nobody dies during arkfalls because once an enemy has done some damage, it'll turn away and shoot/clobber another player, giving time for shields to recharge.

This is particularly apparent when you have a respark/rebel(?) shield.

DeMoted
04-20-2013, 12:47 PM
You can die in this game!?!? I thought once you get respark you were god. At least that is what it feels like.

Kleptobrainiac
04-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Agree w/op.

listener1127
04-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Last night, I saw a group who would let one of their own purposely kick the bucket, so the other group members could revive them, increasing their Pursuit numbers. Not sure if that's brilliant or lame...

SuPeR X AnGeR
04-20-2013, 12:51 PM
You can die in this game!?!? I thought once you get respark you were god. At least that is what it feels like.

definitely true haha, especially if you have survival-based perks. The PvE is a joke once you get a re-spark.

Darklove4343
04-20-2013, 12:54 PM
to me i got 72/100 those blastpods can kill you instantly.

Rhorge
04-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Last night, I saw a group who would let one of their own purposely kick the bucket, so the other group members could revive them, increasing their Pursuit numbers. Not sure if that's brilliant or lame...

Well, with the game as difficult as it is, it's the only way to get that pursuit done this year.

Viryu
04-20-2013, 01:04 PM
And when I made a thread during beta about Respark being the top choice, I got attacked so much >.>

Ikagawa
04-20-2013, 01:08 PM
And when I made a thread during beta about Respark being the top choice, I got attacked so much >.>

ur rong nd so iz ur fase

(It hurt to type that, even as a joke ;) )

I don't use a ReSpark (though I have one as a back up if needed.) I use a Hurricane Regenerator II. 70% recharge/s with a 6 second delay, but also provides 25% health regeneration. I just haven't found a ReSpark that matches it even with a lower delay.

AGuyWithNoName
04-20-2013, 01:08 PM
I get put in a down state quite often at Arkfalls. As for enemies turning away when they do damage...I must have "Wipe feet here" on my forehead because I've been swarmed before and still have the enemies standing over me wailing away AFTER I was put into a downed state. Nothing quite like having the Symbiot spit hitting you at the same time a Warrior slams down on you as an Archer throws fecal matter at you...=/. I swear when I do get hit, it's not one at a time, and it's normally akin to Mike Tyson's uppercuts in the ol Punch out game.

In regards to working towards that pursuit, just hang in and you'll get there. I honestly felt the way you did but I checked the other night and I'm sitting on 94 revives. If you play support at Arkfalls, make sure you put yourself in a position where you'll have good vision over the battlefield. Circle the outskirts and help with the other support players that are focusing on keeping the smaller mobs off of the main attack groups back. Use your understanding of the game to your advantage. If you see a congregation of purple dots on your map that are giving a Monarch hell, and knowing the Monarchs attacks, you can put yourself in position to be there when a fellow Ark hunter flies through the air. Stay close, but not too close. Another way to use your awareness: if you're at an Arkfall with say, 8 others (rare but it happens) use your mini map to keep track of others. If you suddenly see seven dots, someones in need of assistance.

In regards to slamming on the self revive. I've gotten into a bad habit of it lately simply because it seems most (keyword) can't be bothered with taking the two seconds between reloads to take a quick look around (4-5 seconds if you use an LMG). Not to mention the fact that if I'm downed because I have been swarmed (especially by the circle of death) I'd rather not have someone else be put down (especially if they've used their self revive already) because I'm being bombarded (though their effort is more than appreciated).

Moose Of Woe
04-20-2013, 01:13 PM
definitely true haha, especially if you have survival-based perks. The PvE is a joke once you get a re-spark.

The PvE is a joke regardless of what equipment you use. Unless you want to take forever by sniping everyone with shotguns or something...but that's more tedious than difficult.

People not dying in Arkfalls is one of the side effects of making a game so simple even a neanderthal can complete it. The most notable effect is that almost everyone plows through all the content and grows bored extremely quickly.

Tgreen
04-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Only way to die is if you didn't notice the blast pods spawning ... or you and your shield are just that bad.

That being said ... to get even 1 revive someone has to die twice, as almost everyone will pick themselves up.

Get a friend and suicide and res each other if you really want the pursuit now. There is nothing speaking against it, especially since the mechanic of zerg vs boss leaves little to no room to dying twice in a single event.
If you have patience just revive who ever you find crawling around, but this will take weeks to complete the pursuit, but won't feel as exploitive.

Zantium
04-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Not often no and I'm often getting stuck in close up keeping the various hellbugs busy leaving others free to damage the crystal. I did early on but I've learned to stay out of trouble more - occasionally I'll still get surprised in which case I'll crawl around trying to give somebody the chance to revive me.
Most people just run right past though.;)

AGuyWithNoName
04-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Only way to die is if you didn't notice the blast pods spawning ... or you and your shield are just that bad.

Well, since my Respark with the 2.55 delay and the 25% health regen is a somewhat decent I guess that just makes me a bad player then. Duly noted.

Ikagawa
04-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Well, since my Respark with the 2.55 delay and the 25% health regen is a somewhat decent I guess that just makes me a bad player then. Duly noted.

It's why you don't have a name yet. You haven't skilled up enough to earn it.

SSlarg
04-20-2013, 01:33 PM
I got my 100 revives at arkfalls. so they do die you just have to
watch Very Carefully. the best one seems to be the Scrapper Uprising or Progenitor
folks die left and right there.

AGuyWithNoName
04-20-2013, 01:39 PM
It's why you don't have a name yet. You haven't skilled up enough to earn it.

My skill is beyond being labeled young one :P.

(couldn't resist)

Epshiluss
04-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Would it be more fun if enemy's damage dealt scaled as much as their hp/defense scaled?, 1 hit kO's all around with enemy AoE's wiping out 20+ players.

Or would it be better if you increased the number of mobs depending on the players in the area. I wouldn't mind seeing 100 skiterlings, 20 soldiers, 15 archers and 5 monarchs when there are 70+players. But this may cause a teeny weeny bit of lag.

Draugluin
04-20-2013, 01:41 PM
I've been trying to work on player revives during major arkfalls, but I've noticed the fact that almost no one ever goes down. I know this sounds like a strange complaint, but when a pursuit calls for 100 player revives during a major arkfall that's a substantial number of revives when the arkfalls aren't dishing out enough damage to actually drop many players. Maybe Trion needs to amp up the arkfalls to be more challenging. And don't just increase the health of the critters. Something more aggressive. Maybe more hard hitting brute type enemies. Something, cause as it stands the arkfalls are TOO EASY and getting revives is pretty much gonna take forever without boosting.

That or change the criteria to include all arkfalls, because to be honest there aren't many pursuits that include minor arkfalls and most of the time the minor arkfalls are more challenging to begin with. Example look at the minor arkfall for Hellbug Extermination. Those spires that shoot the goo ordinance have downed me more than the creatures and their respawn is to the point that kill one and a new one immediately pops up on the other side of the ark and is already raining hell on you from the new location.

I'd like to know what the rest of the community thinks. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

I don't know if Legendary Ark Hunter's opinion or view means anything, but here it goes:

There are arkfalls when less people die, and then there are arkfalls you can collect 5 revives. I haven't put the numbers on paper, but I recall the best revive counts came from 4-6 a.m. when there wasn't too much population on arkfalls.

Blast pod aggro is wild, so is Hellbug Hellion sometimes. It's better not to shoot a single shot towards hellion as you are spared from her spitting. But numbers mean a lot. If you have got 100 people on Arkfall the probability Hellion doing diving + spitting on the very same target is extremely low. Then there are BMG-healers and if anyone happens still get downed there will be 50 other revivers buzzing around.

But if all else fails, ask a friend showing up and committing suicides (detonators, grenades, Rocket Launchers) and a hero will be right there to patch friend up.

Taaltos
04-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Depends on the Arkfall. I have a higher tendency to die in Scrapper or Raider arkfalls.

Sanguinesun
04-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Its simple really.

Have a buddy.
Equip a detonator. Buddy does the same.

Go to a major arkfall.

Nade to death yourself. Buddy revives you. Buddy nades himself to death. You revive them.

Repeat as much as you can.

A couple of arkfalls later you're 100 revives are done.

Era
04-20-2013, 02:15 PM
They need to add blast pods or significantly more archers to arkfalls to make this any sort of realistic goal. I rezfarmed with 3 friends using detonators.

KashraFall
04-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Go to a Mt. Tam Arkfall that has the hellion that jumps around and pounds people into the ground. They die, they just auto revive.

RushNlowZ
04-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Its simple really.

Have a buddy.
Equip a detonator. Buddy does the same.

Go to a major arkfall.

Nade to death yourself. Buddy revives you. Buddy nades himself to death. You revive them.

Repeat as much as you can.

A couple of arkfalls later you're 100 revives are done.

That's what I mean though. You can't do it legitimately without boosting it which sucks. If I boosted it, it wouldn't feel like I accomplished anything important.

Era
04-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Those pursuits are suppose to be progress markers achieved through normal gameplay to reward extended gameplay. Problem is they didn't actually balance the game properly so that extended gameplay would give you that expected level of progress in various pursuits. I was at 18 revives about 200 hours in and I actually revived people I saw down ASAP. If the game were balance I would have gotten it around the same time I SHOULD have gotten 2.5k arkfall kills, which would not actually take all that long. If you feel like you've played the game enough you should have guilt over using work arounds to get pursuits that were poorly balanced.

AGuyWithNoName
04-20-2013, 03:33 PM
But you most certainly can do it legitimately. Like I said in a prior post, been playing since release day and I'm sitting on 94 revives. Only one of my friends has this game and he only plays once a week. So the majority of my revives are from me just paying attention and trying my best to do what I can when I can. Patience is a virtue. What does the raider with the shield say as he stalking you, "Slow and steady".

Here's a thought I just had though. How would you guys feel about a compromise on the self revive. They've already upped the down time to 90 seconds so that has helped (at least I think so). What if they were to tweak the self revive feature so that you could only use it say, during the last 15 seconds of you being down. What would you all think of a tweak like that or something similar?

RegularX
04-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Seems random to me. I think it has something to do with the AI versus the number of potential players. I can sit in one spot while Hellbugs are stampeding around me. I know they're attacking someone, just not me.

Other times it seems I can't catch a break and just get swatted down.

SYN BLACK XS
04-20-2013, 03:35 PM
I noticed this as being baaaaad last week, but was able to pull off 8 rez's last night to complete a pursuit, so who knows...,

Vuule
04-20-2013, 03:38 PM
When someone dies, you hardly every notice. And when you do, instant self revive or extraction. There's no reason to "strategically" use your self-revive or not. Waiting for someone to revive you is slower. Self revive doesn't cost anything. And extraction puts you close to the Arkfall and the penalty is 180 scrip..

As for harder arkfalls.. What about 10+ Hulkers with permanent rage mode on.

KashraFall
04-20-2013, 03:41 PM
As for harder arkfalls.. What about 10+ Hulkers with permanent rage mode on.

This would be hilarious and almost uncompletable. The amount of HP they would have while charging around would just be like pegging a monarch in their armored carapace. Fun though, and lots of deaths!

SYN BLACK XS
04-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Not sure about others, but I've noticed the difficulty level of some arkfalls being all over the place. One minor will have 3 meager waves of hellbugs which i alone can whipe out in no time. Then the next minor arkfall will have 5+ hellbug archers, 4+ blastpods, etc all in play at once, and others popping up immediately after one goes down.

I enjoy the challenge, but wtf?

Montgraves
04-20-2013, 04:02 PM
In regards to slamming on the self revive. I've gotten into a bad habit of it lately simply because it seems most (keyword) can't be bothered with taking the two seconds between reloads to take a quick look around (4-5 seconds if you use an LMG).

I don't think it's that so much as it's hard to see much of anything during major arkfalls when you have 30 people running around and half of them are using either Mass Cannons or Auto Lobbers. The fact that there is no indicator (the little green +) for people not in your group in need of help only exacerbates the problem.

SteveMND
04-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Nobody dies during arkfalls because once an enemy has done some damage, it'll turn away and shoot/clobber another player, giving time for shields to recharge.

True. Unfortunately, Arkfalls seem to scale up to accommodate more players by having the monsters with better health, but all that does is just mean it takes a little longer to kill the creatures while their damage is spread very thin across a larger number of players. As a result, hardly anyone ever dies, and those that get damaged are easily healed just by waiting a bit for their shields to regen, or by getting zapped by one of the few healers running around with BMGs. As a result, large arkfalls really are one of the LEAST dangerous parts of the game, when it should be the opposite.

What the enemies need to do in addition to gaining health when more people arrive is for them to get smarter tactically, have more and different attacks, and/or have bigger/badder minibosses as more frequent breakpoints.

For example: the monarch forward-facing ground strike? That should do enough damage to outright kill virtually every player it hits, but really, it the amount done currently for the most part just knocks most people back, and by the time they're on their feet again, most are already regenning their shields.

Vuule
04-20-2013, 04:53 PM
This would be hilarious and almost uncompletable. The amount of HP they would have while charging around would just be like pegging a monarch in their armored carapace. Fun though, and lots of deaths!

Hopefully the GM's of Defiance (on all platforms) have some options to spawn any AI. Would be nice for them to drop in once and just randomly spawn Hulkers, monarchs etc :D

Unknown
04-20-2013, 05:02 PM
I was thinking about making a similar thread earlier today. To be fair I wouldn't mind seeing more dead people in Arkfalls :p haha yeah they scale in difficulty but then you have more people so the scaling doesn't seem to make much difference. "OMG a matron is going to hit me with it's epic rolling ability, oh actually it only takes down my shield then gets stuck giving it enough time to recharge... bothered"... Maybe these attacks should be turned to instant kill then people would be more inclined to actively move out of the way, and also allows for more revives to be carried out

caballero89
04-20-2013, 05:38 PM
When ark falls are as repetitive as they are, people learn what to dodge. If there was some sense of randomness there would be alot more deaths imo

Unknown
04-20-2013, 06:03 PM
When ark falls are as repetitive as they are, people learn what to dodge. If there was some sense of randomness there would be alot more deaths imo

Like I said the majority of npc's within an Arkfall even bosses don't even deal enough damage to wipe out a shield and hp in one hit so you don't really need to dodge. The most deaths I see are by killing a hellbug and it exploding on you or the blast pods/archers