PDA

View Full Version : fanboys the reason why incomplete games get released

Kingmoo
04-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Fanboys are the reason that many games, not just MMOs, are being released when they should still be in Beta, if not Alpha.

If the customers are willing to pay for a shoddy, incomplete product then why wouldn't developers release the crap that they have come to expect.

On that note, I do believe Trion has a good game in the making here. It just wasn't ready for release.

Just a few prime examples off the top of my head:
-Deleted weapons: they don't even know what you had. No log files or anything???
-Nerfed some weapons by 50%. Were they not overpowered during beta?? Some people paid money for their weapons...
-PVP server disconnect about 33% of the time? ridiculous
-WAY too much client side code for a game that contains PVP. someone really dropped the ball here

You must be new here. Here bring the MMO scene. So I'll give you a heads up for the future: Few MMOs are completely clean and stable for at least 2-3 weeks after launch. Getting an MMO on release is about being there to support the team for the game you like playing. If you do not like playing the game, then quit, and don't hover over forums to spread your gloom and doom.

Some really popular YouTuber should release this information with factual sheets of most MMO releases and the crap that comes with it. This way, more people would be aware to not get MMOs at launch if they expect a perfectly functioning game. That being said, I wish people cared more about the products they buy and tried helping the devs and community instead of just giving up when they're pissed and asking for refunds :P

The passion is gone, welcome to the age of mainstream MMO gaming.

3rdpig
04-20-2013, 08:29 PM
No, fanboys are not the reason. Bean counters, deadlines and pressure from other sources are the reason games get released before they're ready.

ExpiredLifetime
04-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Fanboys are the reason that many games, not just MMOs, are being released when they should still be in Beta, if not Alpha.

If the customers are willing to pay for a shoddy, incomplete product then why wouldn't developers release the crap that they have come to expect.

On that note, I do believe Trion has a good game in the making here. It just wasn't ready for release.

Just a few prime examples off the top of my head:
-Deleted weapons: they don't even know what you had. No log files or anything???
-Nerfed some weapons by 50%. Were they not overpowered during beta?? Some people paid money for their weapons...
-PVP server disconnect about 33% of the time? ridiculous
-WAY too much client side code for a game that contains PVP. someone really dropped the ball here
It's not the developers that are to blame - it's publishers and those funding the game. Do you think that developers WANT to release a half-assed project?
No, they don't. Every coder that I've ever known in my lifetime (and that's quite a few, by the way) has had more pride in their work than just about anyone else on the face of the planet.

Slurpee Shoes
04-20-2013, 08:34 PM
This game in particular had the unique pressure of releasing when it did because it had to coincide with the release of the show. I'm sure the devs were seriously under the gun to have it out a certain amount of time before the show.

Bit of a bumpy start but that's the usual story with mmos.

creepsley
04-20-2013, 08:35 PM
the reason this one got released before being ready was simply because they had a deadline to make, as the show had a release date thay had to release the game almost at the same time.

Dabba
04-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Im brand new here and have only been playing the game for a few hours. So far I think its ok, but no idea how long it will hold my interest. That probably depends as much on how much my wife and I enjoy the show as much as anything else, so Im definitely not a fanboy.

All that said, the post you quoted by Kirzan is 100% correct, and you TC, are 100% wrong.

Kingmoo
04-20-2013, 08:39 PM
It's not the developers that are to blame - it's publishers and those funding the game. Do you think that developers WANT to release a half-assed project?
No, they don't. Every coder that I've ever known in my lifetime (and that's quite a few, by the way) has had more pride in their work than just about anyone else on the face of the planet.

OK sorry Publishers, not developers...

So if you don't buy their games then publishers are forced to go back to what they did in the 80s/90s: release 100% finished games.

All I'm saying is that Publishers are pushing the limits on what kind of crap they think they can roll out before they polish the product. It's getting worse and worse and it really does seem like customers are accepting of Alpha versions of games being released to market

jrydun
04-20-2013, 08:40 PM
You can also blame technology. Before the ability to patch games(especially day 1 patches), they would postpone. Now they can always fix issues after release.

Teran
04-20-2013, 08:40 PM

Thanks for revealing your general ignorance and total lack of knowledge about the development process in the first sentence of your post. It saved me a lot of time trying to figure out if you were serious or not.

Needless to say, fanboys are not the reason games get released in an incomplete state.

Masterbaud
04-20-2013, 08:48 PM
How is it, that this "glitch" has only affected US PC servers ?!? odd.....

Merrin Nightbringer
04-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks for revealing your general ignorance and total lack of knowledge about the development process in the first sentence of your post. It saved me a lot of time trying to figure out if you were serious or not.

Needless to say, fanboys are not the reason games get released in an incomplete state.

Thanks for revealing.... Oh shtako, someone else wrote my post for me.