PDA

View Full Version : Servers down for 5 hours

Skeptic
04-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Now everyone can quit asking when they will be back up.

Synastella
04-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Hey! Well at least it isn't 6 hours like the other day!!! :D

Revolution 1776
04-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Time to get out of the chair and go do something i guess. See y'all tomorrow.

BrutikusIV
04-20-2013, 08:43 PM
bleh, this means I need to get a good nights sleep for a change /sigh :P

WhiteCell
04-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Now everyone can quit asking when they will be back up.

Poopsockers rejoice!

I think they found out where all those missing items ended up. Rumor is the guy at the server location opened the broom closet door and they spilled out physically knocking down the game servers.

Commando Barbie
04-20-2013, 08:45 PM
So...is that 5 hours from now or from when it first went down? :)

Rusiman
Seems sort of ridiculous that they won't even provide a clear reason why they need five hours. Haven't been able to play all week, look forward to playing on Saturday night - nah, maintenance bro.

Blech. I guess they can be as careless as they want now that we've paid the admission price.

Ryback
oh wow. Well looks like i can play other games. There goes my time here tonight.

Teizar
04-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Dev. "Quick find out how they hacked us and plug that hole so they cant do it again"

programmer "sir that will take 3 hours minimum an I need starbucks so make that 5 hours"

Rusiman
04-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Dev. "Quick find out how they hacked us and plug that hole so they cant do it again"

programmer "sir that will take 3 hours minimum an I need starbucks so make that 5 hours"

More like:

Producer to Devs and Programmers: "Someone hacked the game. Looks like this can't wait, sorry guys. Take a look."
Devs and Programmers: "Do I have to come in? I'm already out and too drunk to work."
Producer: "Well we don't need everyone, but we need to start working on it."

*Producer calls interns and junior devs, gets them in to look at the situation*
Newbs: "We... don't really know exactly how to fix this..."
Producer: "That's fine. Just work on it. We'll bring down the servers for five hours, and by then if we need more time no one will be pissed because they'll be asleep."

GeneralTechnique
04-20-2013, 08:51 PM
TRION, I have a question.....

Is this PC server 'downtime' also "microsoft's fault" like you implied the xbox360 server downtimes were?

Schwa
04-20-2013, 08:54 PM
TRION, I have a question.....

Is this PC server 'downtime' also "microsoft's fault" like you implied the xbox360 server downtimes were?

Everyone blames everything on Microsoft anyway, so okay.

Valethar
04-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Well, if Scotty is doing the maintenance, it will only take 2.5 hours. He always doubled his estimates so that when he came through with that 'miracle' fix, it made him look good.

They didn't call him the Miracle Worker for nothing. :)

SteveMND
04-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Ah yes, a concrete number. And now, with that, I'm off to bed. Almost midnight here on the east coast anyway, and I know exactly where the forums will be going now for the next five hours anyway. :D

I think they found out where all those missing items ended up. Rumor is the guy at the server location opened the broom closet door and they spilled out physically knocking down the game servers.

Okay, I actually lol'd at that one. What a wonderful mental image of that scene I have now.

Seems sort of ridiculous that they won't even provide a clear reason why they need five hours. Haven't been able to play all week, look forward to playing on Saturday night - nah, maintenance bro

If it makes you feel any better (which, judging from your [understandable] tone, it won't)... if you look a n hour or so back in the forum archives here, you'll see where there was some sort of catastrophic issue on the NA PC servers which was corrupting characters left and right -- as in, totally resetting,changing, etc. stats, skills, ego rating, etc. Definitely not a small or inconsequential situation. They had to pull them down before anything else got corrupted, and and I suspect they are also pulling the other servers down to give them a thorough digital enema as well in light of this development.

So, yes, it sucks, and you have my condolences, but trust me when I say this was not something done to piss people off intentionally, and I'm quite certain they wouldn't have done this unless they felt it was necessary.

Mykre
04-20-2013, 09:00 PM
It's Sunday afternoon in Aus, with the family out was hoping for some gametime. Looks like I will have to find something else todo.

Kelendar
04-20-2013, 09:00 PM
More like they are trying to figure out when the last full set of backups were made. That's where the rollback will be made.

GeneralTechnique
04-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Everyone blames everything on Microsoft anyway, so okay.

Yeah, it usually helps us intelligent consumers to more easily separate the decent development companies from those that are so crappy they can't even accept full accountability for their own products.

I just wish that Trion had pulled out the easy-to-use "waahh, it's mean old microsoft's fault"-card BEFORE the game was released. :rolleyes: