PDA

View Full Version : Why did you rush the release of this game?

straybullet
04-20-2013, 10:14 PM
I get that it needs to coexist with the tv show. But i think i would have rather waited an extra month for them to fix these problems than deal with these daily patches and unforseen downtimes. At first when i read that server updates were being instated twice daily, i was like damn they really wanna make this game work, good job.
But now im realizing that the "updates" are just them still making the game, the flaws of it seem excessive and completely hindering at times and im not totally trying to bash it as i enjoy the game, but it seems like because you have so many future things planned theoretically you forgot to take into account that the current situation is broken.

Kelendar
04-20-2013, 10:16 PM
They have no choice. The devs probably would have preferred more time but the marketing group told them get it done yesterday. The marketing guys always win.

Antomus
04-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Because of timing issues with the show and as the previous guy said, marketing.

Drakhan
04-20-2013, 10:21 PM
and in the end we suffer :D

ThanatosPa
04-20-2013, 10:24 PM
I was just telling my wife I thought they were told to release by april 2, but really they were looking at a christmas release.

The game is great, but there is still a bit of a beta feel going on. Lets see how good they are Rift was pretty good. They can fix it I say stay loyal and keep playing.

The numb
04-20-2013, 10:25 PM
At least 6 months too soon and all the empty space with absolutely nothing to do or explore , why don't you just make a corridor shooter like shooter. I wont even start about the bugs and issues as is like ...I want my money back.
I was hoping to get tide over till Elder Scrolls comes out so ok I don't expect much .

Freyar
04-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Marketing: -30% to Game Quality

danizzay
04-20-2013, 10:32 PM
5 hours of downtime on a saturday night............................................. ................ FAIL.

Skydive
04-20-2013, 10:33 PM
The problem with the quick release of the game is linked to the TV show, for those that don't know all of season 1 has finished filming. Any delay of the release of the game could have ment a delayed release for the show because of the nature of the project. And that would have a knock on effect, meaning season 2 couldn't be filmed until later. In the mean time the actors/actresses could move on to other projects, which may mean it becomes a lot harder to bring them back to the series if there is no other contractual agreement already in place to bring them back.

The whole entire project for both TV show and game was ambitious to link the two together and trying to have them launch co-currently was going to be difficult given how many problems can occur with an MMO launch as opposed to a TV show, nevermind even to start to think about the ambitious nature of a three platform MMO.

This reminds me a lot of how ambitious Star Wars Galaxies was back in 2003, and even in the words of Raph Koster, he even states he was perhaps too ambitious with that project, and those familar with the game all knows how that ended up. A lot of innovations in that game didn't work and it was exceptionally buggy at launch.

My only hope is THION does not make the same mistakes as Star Wars Galaxies did

Mourneblade
04-20-2013, 10:34 PM
The game was definitely NOT ready for launch, and could have benefited tremendously from even a June or July release date, but IMHO really needed an October or November launch to really iron out the wrinkles.

If the blame must be placed, it should be spread evenly. Blame NBC-Universal for pushing the deadline in lieu of the TV series premiere. Blame Sy-Fy for not actually casting the lead characters until right before shooting the episodes began, which was already a few years after initial development of the game. Blame Trion for having 5 years to scrape together something playable without much, if any source material other than base knowledge of the world and basic canon, yet spent quite a bit of time on Rift and Rift expansions. Blame Trion yet again for only employing 150 people to work on Defiance, which was known to be a multiplatform MMO from day 1.

None of this makes anyone feel better.

MacDeath
04-20-2013, 10:39 PM
When the project was first concieved there was a tie in to the TV show. The TV show was ready to air in April so the game needed to be ready to launch in April too. The devs knew this years ago. They could have stopped adding content six months ago and focused on fixing bugs to ensure a smoother launch. But, devs being devs, they kept adding new stuff rather than fixing what didn't work well.

Agent T8235
04-20-2013, 10:45 PM
IIRC Syfy forced them to release earlier. Trion was trying to push the date back, but Syfy said no, because the show was ready to air.