PDA

View Full Version : EGO How does it work exactly?

smesmallins
04-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Please tell me if I got this right:

(Question/Scenario A) Player 1 has 100 ego level power, Player 2 has 500 ego level power. P1 and P2 are both attacking the same mob. P1 hits it and does 100 power type damage to it, P2 hits it and does 500 power type damage to it. The creature's health is different for the person attacking it, P2 more HP and P1 less. The creature attacks both P1 and P2, does ego power 100 damage to P1 and ego power 500 damage to P2.

(Question/Scenario II) If I use a 50 ego level weapon at player ego power level 500, I'll be doing substantially less damage than if I used an ego power 500 weapon at 500.

Yes thinking about ego power makes me look like my avatar! LOL

fatoldguy
04-20-2013, 10:27 PM
I thinks my head are gonna asplode!

WhiteCell
04-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Ego power? You mean the ego requirement to use the weapon which means nothing regarding damage output?

Bori
04-20-2013, 10:44 PM
The most important feature of the Ego system is that you have a voice in your head that sounds like a cute girl telling you how awesome you are ?

I'd interested to see the math on those two scenarios though - do your weapons "grey out" if you "outlevel" them ?

smesmallins
04-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Well, for example. I have a level 50 SMG that used to do tons of damage, but since I played for the last 3 days all day and got up to 396, im hardy doing any damage at all with it, and the 396 LMG I just picked up is doing tons of damage. Thats why I thought that player ego power level and weapon level had a correlation.

Bori
04-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Well, for example. I have a level 50 SMG that used to do tons of damage, but since I played for the last 3 days all day and got up to 396, im hardy doing any damage at all with it, and the 396 LMG I just picked up is doing tons of damage. Thats why I thought that player ego power level and weapon level had a correlation.

Im going to try this when the server comes back up, I think I have my starter sniper rifle in my bag still. Ill compare that to a weapon at my EGO level.

Xazur
04-20-2013, 11:06 PM
All the same guns do the same damage regardless of EGO rating, but at EGO 1650 you will start getting extra stats with your weapons, but its besides the point. Though depending on the mobs you fight from MT. TAM ---> Sausalito or w/e the mobs get slight tougher because of the addition of shields. Though I do see what you described in the OP, sometimes it feels like the same mobs I fight 1 day, are easier to kill(takes less shots) and then the next day it takes twice as many hits to kill the same enemy. I've noticed this ALOT of times but I don't think it has anything to do with EGO rating. I am thinking the game is just glitchy and overpowering enemies at random.

gothicshark
04-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Years ago there was a MMO called City of Heroes they solved how to have friends play together while being at vastly different levels, Player A is level 50 (max in COH) and Player B is Level 10, while they are playing together in a level 50 zone player B would have the damage output at level 49, conversely Player A could team with B at level 10 and hit at level 10 power. this system is present in Defiance, although they hide it so you don't notice it. This means if You are at a high Ego and equip a low level weapon your number will drop, but while fighting mobs they will scale to your level to you even though someone much lower level will be fighting the same mob.

Xazur
04-20-2013, 11:17 PM
I think the AI and toughness of the mobs are all client side based because of the reasons mentioned by gothicshark. Also the fact that you can shoot enemies while lagging and still lowering their hp and after the lag subsides the enemy will die proves this.

Era
04-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Your EGO rating is more of your progress (though it does unlock new loadout and passive ability slots over the long run and improve your weapon modifiers, shields and grenades on new equipment you find). Your unlisted EGO level and weapon levels are closer to true levels in any other game (with an experience bar and shtako), though it would only take a few dozen of those to have enough EGO abilities and 1 active EGO ability you want to use taking respecs into account.

Regardless your equipment and abilities entirely determine your potential damage and not your EGO rating and while you tend to find better equipment at higher EGO and said equipment will be level locked to your current level minimum in a trade, nothing is stopping a higher EGO player from using awful equipment.

So yeah, you are entirely wrong, knew players can kick the ***** of high EGO players if they know what they are doing (though a skill slot gap WILL tend to unbalance an otherwise fair fight what with one player having more passives which are useful but not broken).