PDA

View Full Version : graphics?

Luomo
03-19-2013, 10:58 AM
so after trying out the beta now for ps3. the textures in the world dont look so hot. are the graphics supposed to be the same for both consoles cause that may just change my mind. even the char model when you press start is blurry

Nervusbreakdown
03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
what do you mean not so hot?

Synder
03-19-2013, 11:09 AM
so after trying out the beta now for ps3. the textures in the world dont look so hot. are the graphics supposed to be the same for both consoles cause that may just change my mind. even the char model when you press start is blurry

This is BETA, its NOT supposed to look like a final version of the game.In fact its been stated MANY times, that a beta does not represent the final product. Its not gonna have 100% high res textures on everything.

Also your about clan name. You DO realise that a Lone Wolf is NOT part of a group right? So having a clan named Lone Wolves makes zero sence. Just trying to help, as in MMO's People REALLY are picky and rude to people if they can find something to make fun of.

relic_blade
03-19-2013, 11:15 AM
This is BETA, its NOT supposed to look like a final version of the game.In fact its been stated MANY times, that a beta does not represent the final product. Its not gonna have 100% high res textures on everything.

Also your about clan name. You DO realise that a Lone Wolf is NOT part of a group right? So having a clan named Lone Wolves makes zero sence. Just trying to help, as in MMO's People REALLY are picky and rude to people if they can find something to make fun of.

Maybe it's supposed to say "not so lone wolves" ;)

geerobb
03-19-2013, 11:15 AM

what is sence?

Derek
03-19-2013, 11:24 AM

Yeah devs say that a lot. "this is a beta, not the final product", "this is just a demo, guys, not representative of the final product". Then the game hits the shelves and besides a few tweaks, there's no notable difference. So except if this is a 6 months old build (which would be useless), a beta three weeks away from release is pretty much representative of the final game.

Gameplay & Art Direction trump graphics anytime anyway.

AmishWarMachine
03-19-2013, 11:31 AM
You DO realise that a Lone Wolf is NOT part of a group right? So having a clan named Lone Wolves makes zero sense.

The Lone Rangers? That's original. How can you pluralize "Lone Ranger"?
Well, there's three of you. You're not exactly LONE. Shouldn't you be the THREE Rangers?

Apologies, I couldn't help myself.

PRE
03-19-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm finishing up my install right now so I'll chime back in after the nda on my issues with the game

BUT

This is NOT A BETA. It's a DEMO, the game is relased 4/2 lol the physical game has been down for awhile now. Trust me what we see is more or less what we will get. Core features will not change, expect a day one patch from our feedback that's about it. Don't even say I'm wrong, it's a glorified demo to sell more copies maybe were missing a gig or two but this is it.

Dead_Phoenix
03-19-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm finishing up my install right now so I'll chime back in after the nda on my issues with the game

BUT

This is NOT A BETA. It's a DEMO, the game is relased 4/2 lol the physical game has been down for awhile now. Trust me what we see is more or less what we will get. Core features will not change, expect a day one patch from our feedback that's about it. Don't even say I'm wrong, it's a glorified demo to sell more copies maybe were missing a gig or two but this is it.

even though they have turned off stuff for this. and toned stuff down? its a beta.

Shogo_Yahagi
03-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Maybe it's supposed to say "not so lone wolves" ;)
Defiance Lone Wolves, presented by Alanis Morissette?

Jay
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM

fail at trolling

I too didn't like the graphics, during cut scenes the lip syncing would make Milli Vanilli look good. I played for about ~45 mins so I'll give it more time. The lightting was pretty dark..and overall it seemed like a 5-10 year old engine.. there was no lag with all the players running about so that was a good thing

Dreamo84
03-19-2013, 11:50 AM
fail at trolling

I too didn't like the graphics, during cut scenes the lip syncing would make Milli Vanilli look good. I played for about ~45 mins so I'll give it more time. The lightting was pretty dark..and overall it seemed like a 5-10 year old engine.. there was no lag with all the players running about so that was a good thing

That's why I am getting the PC version. I learned with DCUO that consoles just can't pull off MMOs without sacrificing a lot in textures and resolution. My PC will destroy the game though.

darky89
03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
The textures have looked fine to me from the streams, and they'll be worse than when I get the game. So I think I'll be fine, but maybe I just have low standards..

RoganTheGypo
03-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Chances are there is a hefty install to get around chopy graphics, since your downloading a client without all it parts i would imagine it runs in a 'compatability' mode so to speak. All though I could be wrong but I would guess textures and sound would be the bigger portion ofr 10gig and to download these as well as the game files to run would be knocking on 11gig+ no doubt.

Again this is speculation the whole 'this is beta' thing isn't a get out of jail free card but from the vids I've seen the textures from the xbox (cant speak for ps3) look decent enough (not to pc's standard with the shaders and what not though)

Colts87
03-19-2013, 12:11 PM
even though they have turned off stuff for this. and toned stuff down? its a beta.
I agree with Phoenix. Correct me if i'm wrong, but they usually use old builds for beta purposes right? Regardless, I was not expecting an eye candy type game like Crysis 3 to begin with. Console (PS3 and 360) tech is just not enough to produce PC like visuals to support a world this big. Having the game run properly is far more important. I'm sure the visuals will be good enough to still play. I'll find out for myself when I get home from work.

Groone
03-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Graphics aren't so bad even in this beta edition, but the voice acting really really is horrible...I hope the acting in the show is much better.

Jay
03-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Graphics aren't so bad even in this beta edition, but the voice acting really really is horrible...I hope the acting in the show is much better.

hahaha :)

pricey007
03-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Snyder - The Lone Wolves clan is for people who like to play alone but have backup if needed. Makes sense to me.

gjwhite66
03-19-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm not too worried about the graphics. My main concern was how the servers would handle the number of people online at each time. I first logged on at 11:01 EST, and surprisingly had no issues. The server did reboot itself during the tutorial for EGO powers - so maybe 11:30 EST? - but has been fine since. There have been a few audio issues, but I am willing to let that slide because "this is a beta".
I think it's safe to assume that today's main focus was a server stress test, and that the higher res graphics will be patched in before our wave is over. Again, all with the caveat of testing the environment's stability. I've been part of enough betas myself to know that the graphics are normally the final focus - for good games at least. And to add to what Rogan just said, go back and watch the XBox videos. The world textures and player models look really good, so to think that the Devs don't have a graphics slider available to them when they're ready to go live is a little silly. But we shall see. I'm not expecting this game to break any visual standards for the consoles anyway, so I'm guessing my perspective is a bit different.

PRE
03-19-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm not trolling... I been apart of way to many ps3 betas this generation and all of them, especially ones a few weeks away from launch have just been a way to promote the game. Yes they are stress testing, fixing bugs and viewing our feedback but don't fool yourself thinking we're going to get a graphic heavy game on release when what you see is what you will get

Luomo
03-19-2013, 01:17 PM
i was not sure if textured were supposed to be turned down for beta purposes. ive been impressed with the servers. only problem was i heading to a story quest and there were just other players on the map going to same quest, but then i guess it switches me servers and no other players were in area for rest of mission

SoopaMan2K
03-19-2013, 01:22 PM
LOL! I'm so tired of people and their "This is a Beta" comments.

Blazestone
03-19-2013, 01:29 PM
I need to watch tommorow.

How the Europe care.
Still enjoying watching video's of the game.
And idk for what console i choose and my friends, they have all both PS3 and xbox 360 and me to.

I can't still choose.
i want to know how it plays on ps3 but want to try to get in xbox so i can choose.

I want to see the gameplay difference.

The graphics doesn't says that the game is bad.

And i'm gonna look about the player base on console's i want to see on which console is more popular.

the only disappointment is for xbox it needs xbox live.
there i have no worries.

Maldrix
03-19-2013, 01:32 PM
I like what someone said earlier, "This is beta." is not a get out of jail free card.

I haven't managed to play yet (Damn you EU PSN) so I can't say what the graphics are like but chances are for the most part they are totally up to date and what you will get in the final build. Poor graphic quality shouldn't be a problem for beta's and shouldn't effect gameplay. TEXTURE problems sure, like load in issues and such sure, but not the actual textures themselves.
I doubt there will be a big install to improve graphics upon release.

Dead_Phoenix
03-19-2013, 01:38 PM
well believe what you want...

Maldrix
03-19-2013, 01:54 PM
well believe what you want...

I'm not sayin its a definite, set in stone thing. Just unlikely, I'm fine with admitting that I'm wrong if I turn out wrong.

Jay
03-19-2013, 02:03 PM
I can't see that much of an improvement.. gameplay graphics were 'ok' what I didn't like was cut scene graphics were very poor, poor voice acting too.. DCUO blows this away and thats is an older game

6Strummer
03-19-2013, 08:12 PM
DCUO blows this away and thats is an older game

There are trade offs though. Fly supersonic through DCUO for very long and the graphics can't keep up with you. The whole city vanishes before you get halfway across.

I saw a video that said the voice acting we're hearing is placeholder audio that will be replaced. Can't say if that's true or not but I'm enjoying the game. I'd bet at least some of the textures will be better at launch as well.

ajcohen63
03-20-2013, 07:49 AM
All

I have to agree. I expect more even from a beta. I played Rift and was impressed with how graphically brilliant the world was. I have played numerous betas of MMO's and most when they come out of beta dont see a signficant graphical improvement. This game needs a signficant overhall on the consoles at least to be an effective seller.

AJ

TheTruDoc
03-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Guys, just be happy that consoles got this mmo, k? I'll be playing this on pc but I played the beta on ps3 and I have to say the graphics are better than i thought they would be. Quit complaining and be thankful consoles are getting this game.

Shogo_Yahagi
03-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Guys, just be happy that consoles got this mmo, k? I'll be playing this on pc but I played the beta on ps3 and I have to say the graphics are better than i thought they would be. Quit complaining and be thankful consoles are getting this game.

Um, no. I'm paying full price for this game, and I expect a high-quality finished product, just like you expect a high-quality finished product when you purchase the PC version. Quit trolling and go back under your bridge, k?

VillNess
03-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Um, no. I'm paying full price for this game, and I expect a high-quality finished product, just like you expect a high-quality finished product when you purchase the PC version. Quit trolling and go back under your bridge, k?

You realise ps3 was released 2006 and xbox 360 2005? So you can't expect this game to have top notch graphics by todays standards. Also this is an MMO, you realize it is NOT POSSIBLE for this game to have graphics of Uncharted or Gears of War?

If you're a graphics w**** go and get this on PC or just forget...

Midnight Eye
03-20-2013, 08:25 AM

Damn right !!!
I am playing the PS3 version using Plus and the game is alot of fun. I am getting the 360 version but I'm pleased with the graphics for an MMO. I can't wait to play the finished game with my friends.

PapaMudd
03-20-2013, 08:41 AM

you must not be a PS3 gamer normally...
PS3 can produce exceptional graphics beyond that of the XBox360 by far, though this is up to the dev team to fully optimize the game for the system.
PS3 has titles that go far beyond the number of players in a single game ONLINE than the 360. Has the 360 gone above 24 players in one AAA title? Halo 4 is 16, KZ3 is 24 with better graphics
I have yet to see any game on x360 that can compare graphically to Heavy Rain. The graphics have not reached their limit on the ps3 yet. Also DUST 514 MMO Shooter boasts at least 32 players in one match currently and in its beta form still looks pretty good

PS3 MMO's:
Dust 514
MAG
DCUO
PS HOME

AmishWarMachine
03-20-2013, 08:49 AM
you must not be a PS3 gamer normally...
PS3 can produce exceptional graphics beyond that of the XBox360 by far, though this is up to the dev team to fully optimize the game for the system.
PS3 has titles that go far beyond the number of players in a single game ONLINE than the 360. Has the 360 gone above 24 players in one AAA title? Halo 4 is 16, KZ3 is 24 with better graphics
I have yet to see any game on x360 that can compare graphically to Heavy Rain. The graphics have not reached their limit on the ps3 yet. Also DUST 514 MMO Shooter boasts at least 32 players in one match currently and in its beta form still looks pretty good

PS3 MMO's:
Dust 514
MAG
DCUO
PS HOME
All the MMO's you listed, with the exception of DCUO, have one thing in common, one thing that makes them very dissimilar to DEFIANCE.

They're not open world. They are instanced arenas with finite boundaries and/or have a finite number of players possible in any one given area.

If people are expecting Skyrim graphics, with WoW player numbers, on a current-gen console... they expect WAY too much.

VillNess
03-20-2013, 08:57 AM
And lets not forget MAG, it had online battles of 256 players... all in same map. And while that game didn't have BF3 graphics I still loved that game. If someone is gonna play MMO for graphics, there's something real wrong..

UmbrusNightshade
03-20-2013, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=AmishWarMachine;76945If people are expecting Skyrim graphics, with WoW player numbers, on a current-gen console... they expect WAY too much.[/QUOTE]

^This. 100% agree. And imo the graphics are good and I really haven't had much of an issue with the voiceovers either. Players these days are greedy and unappreciative. What a shame.

Figma
03-20-2013, 09:01 AM
And lets not forget MAG, it had online battles of 256 players... all in same map. And while that game didn't have BF3 graphics I still loved that game. If someone is gonna play MMO for graphics, there's something real wrong..
and graphics cant progress much futher this day and age, if someone is expecting better and better graphics on every game theyre gamelifespan will be pretty short by nextgen id guess. for me its about the depth of the game and just overrall quality of gameplay

kylevtr
03-20-2013, 09:28 AM
my ps3 is defaulting to 1280x720 , how do i get it running 1920x1080

TheTruDoc
03-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Shogo, you are paying full price for a game on a 7 year console, the game looks good on both consoles. Think next time before trying to insult someone that knows more about the ps3 than you. Also papamudd quit being a fanboy, this game is an mmo, massive multiplayer online. This game is way bigger than MAG and looks alot better than MAG imo. You guys are just being console fanboys and are not grateful that they gave us an mmo.

Desidus
03-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Graphics are good enough to be emersive but not good enough to be impressive...

This game is dealing with huge amounts of people and as such there has to be a cut somewhere. There is a reason that COD max player amounts are low...

That being said none of us have seen the final build either so it could be different come release.

DonRodie
03-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Graphics looks decent to me, it would be great if they was to get better before release. I love the way day time and night time looks in this game.

Desidus
03-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Been working and haven't seen much of nighttime play... Will look forward to it.

Colts87
03-20-2013, 09:51 AM
If people are expecting Skyrim graphics, with WoW player numbers, on a current-gen console... they expect WAY too much.[/QUOTE]
Could not have said it better myself. If people are disappointed with the visuals on console version, get it for PC or just don't buy it. These consoles are running 8 or more year old tech (just because the console was released 6 or 7 years ago does not make the tech inside up to date at the time of release) what do you honestly expect!

Jay
03-20-2013, 10:01 AM
If people are expecting Skyrim graphics, with WoW player numbers, on a current-gen console... they expect WAY too much.
Could not have said it better myself. If people are disappointed with the visuals on console version, get it for PC or just don't buy it. These consoles are running 8 or more year old tech (just because the console was released 6 or 7 years ago does not make the tech inside up to date at the time of release) what do you honestly expect![/QUOTE]

anyone who played or even mentions WoW needs to get their MMO card revoked.. WOW is the MMO paint by numbers so easy a Protozoa can do it. WoW's graphics are on par with Nintendo DS or the Wii.

the milli vanilli lip syncing is horrible

Shogo_Yahagi
03-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Shogo, you are paying full price for a game on a 7 year console, the game looks good on both consoles. Think next time before trying to insult someone that knows more about the ps3 than you. Also papamudd quit being a fanboy, this game is an mmo, massive multiplayer online. This game is way bigger than MAG and looks alot better than MAG imo. You guys are just being console fanboys and are not grateful that they gave us an mmo.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with the graphics. I think the graphics are fine for this kind of game. What I have a problem with is the attitude that we should be grateful for whatever we get. This has come up over and over again on these forums whenever anyone says anything remotely critical of the game or the way Trion has handled the console versions.

I get it. You guys love Trion. At some point, I may too, but they haven't done anything for me yet. If Trion wants to be a PS3 developer, they need to act like one. A small PC developer that doesn't bother with console betas until there are less than 2 weeks until launch is almost certainly making a big mistake because they are going up against games that are at the peak of the system's quality and optimization curve that were produced by companies with far more PS3 development experience than they have.

Whatever Trion has done on the PC, people buying Defiance for the PS3 are going to be judging it by the version available on the PS3, and they're going to be comparing it to other PS3 games competing for their cash. They're not going to be inclined to cut them any slack because Trion once made a PC game that someone else liked or that Trion did a lot more testing for a version that they aren't buying and maybe that one doesn't have the same problems.

That's not being a console fanboy, that's being an educated consumer.

Dr D Wayne Love
03-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Honestly, I don't have a problem with the graphics. I think the graphics are fine for this kind of game. What I have a problem with is the attitude that we should be grateful for whatever we get. This has come up over and over again on these forums whenever anyone says anything remotely critical of the game or the way Trion has handled the console versions.

I get it. You guys love Trion. At some point, I may too, but they haven't done anything for me yet. If Trion wants to be a PS3 developer, they need to act like one. A small PC developer that doesn't bother with console betas until there are less than 2 weeks until launch is almost certainly making a big mistake because they are going up against games that are at the peak of the system's quality and optimization curve that were produced by companies with far more PS3 development experience than they have.

Whatever Trion has done on the PC, people buying Defiance for the PS3 are going to be judging it by the version available on the PS3, and they're going to be comparing it to other PS3 games competing for their cash. They're not going to be inclined to cut them any slack because Trion once made a PC game that someone else liked or that Trion did a lot more testing for a version that they aren't buying and maybe that one doesn't have the same problems.

That's not being a console fanboy, that's being an educated consumer.

An educated consumer would compare it to other open world mmo's.

Dead_Phoenix
03-20-2013, 11:12 AM
need i remind people this is a beta. IT IS toned down. these graphics are not launch.

SummerWolf
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
need i remind people this is a beta. IT IS toned down. these graphics are not launch.

totally random but how the hell did you manage 2700 post in less than 3 months for a game that hasnt come out? and the alpha and beta arent connected I believe?

Dead_Phoenix
03-20-2013, 11:20 AM
totally random but how the hell did you manage 2700 post in less than 3 months for a game that hasnt come out? and the alpha and beta arent connected I believe?

alot of them are put into the code hunt, and answering questions.

AmishWarMachine
03-20-2013, 11:26 AM
It's typically bad fashion to provoke a phoenix.

At least, that's what Brett Ratner taught me.

PapaMudd
03-20-2013, 11:43 AM

has nothing to do with fanboyism just stating facts of what the ps3 has done in the past. I'll show my "gratitude" with my wallet if i'm pleased with the product. Also I made no point about this game in regards to graphics. However, MMO to the PS3 is not a new concept so just being greatful that we get an MMO is a rediculous statement altogether. Take that over to the xbox forums as they haven't had one. Let us respond with our wallets whether or not we are greatful or appreciative of this offering...

The provider should be appreciative of its consumers not the other way around, as we show our appreciationg with our WALLETS.
I mean just cause you offer me a shiny brick of poo doesn't mean I have to appreciate it.

I for one do like this game so far and think the graphics could be improved, but it won't affect my final purchase decision

Colts87
03-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Could not have said it better myself. If people are disappointed with the visuals on console version, get it for PC or just don't buy it. These consoles are running 8 or more year old tech (just because the console was released 6 or 7 years ago does not make the tech inside up to date at the time of release) what do you honestly expect!

anyone who played or even mentions WoW needs to get their MMO card revoked.. WOW is the MMO paint by numbers so easy a Protozoa can do it. WoW's graphics are on par with Nintendo DS or the Wii.

the milli vanilli lip syncing is horrible[/QUOTE]
I didn't mention WOW originally, I never even played it. I just know they have a huge following and was quoting another poster in agreement, but you can still revoke my MMO card if you want to. I'm fine with that.

Rada
03-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Why would you make fun of someone's clan name? Or call him a troll? I haven't been around but for a few days, but people in this community seem really mean.

I think the Luomo had a point. The first map I landed in was nice, but so uniform. If it wasn't for the little distance to goal guide, I would have gotten lost. And there are SO MANY HUD elements! The screen looks super cluttered. And not formatted to wide screen, it was all squished. Also, I hope my game saved cause I couldn't find an "exit game" option, but I'm a bit of an idiot, so that might just be me.

And I agree with Jay as well, those voice overs aren't very good. My biggest issue with them was EGO's voice volume. It was so faint while the shot blasts were so loud.

AmishWarMachine
03-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Also, I hope my game saved cause I couldn't find an "exit game" option, but I'm a bit of an idiot, so that might just be me.
In the Beta, for PS3, it's: Start > L2 (opens a command wheel) > Settings (@ ~7-8 o'clock) > Log Out.

Rada
03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
In the Beta, for PS3, it's: Start > L2 (opens a command wheel) > Settings (@ ~7-8 o'clock) > Log Out.

Awesome! Thank you!

Vuule
03-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Yeah.. The graphics on PC are a lot better. They might improve a little with the full release, but I highly doubt it will be noticeable. I'm not a graphics wore and I'm enjoying it so far, but I hope it does look a bit better with the full release.

Masoner
03-20-2013, 02:30 PM
I can't see that much of an improvement.. gameplay graphics were 'ok' what I didn't like was cut scene graphics were very poor, poor voice acting too.. DCUO blows this away and thats is an older game

The voice acting is great in this game you are just trying to find fault in something just to do so. I don't know what DCUO stands for but from my time with quality voice acting, this game is very well done.

Masoner
03-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Yeah.. The graphics on PC are a lot better. They might improve a little with the full release, but I highly doubt it will be noticeable. I'm not a graphics wore and I'm enjoying it so far, but I hope it does look a bit better with the full release.

PC gaming all ways looks better cause you can drop 400 bucks to upgrade some part of the unit.

TheOz
03-20-2013, 02:48 PM
I agree with Phoenix. Correct me if i'm wrong, but they usually use old builds for beta purposes right? Regardless, I was not expecting an eye candy type game like Crysis 3 to begin with. Console (PS3 and 360) tech is just not enough to produce PC like visuals to support a world this big. Having the game run properly is far more important. I'm sure the visuals will be good enough to still play. I'll find out for myself when I get home from work.

Well said Colts.