PDA

View Full Version : So I'm new to MMOs but...

Altruist
04-21-2013, 04:05 AM
...is this downtime normal? I mean this super long one. Constantly adding hours and such? I just talked my brother into playing it, and we try to log on... then bam. Now I'm pretty sure he won't ever touch it again. So I'm going to need other people to play with.

Zoridium JackL
04-21-2013, 04:07 AM
no this is not normal, most downtimes are very brief and scheduled, this is emergency down time that was very unexpected, be patient.

Earthlust
04-21-2013, 04:08 AM
Guess that depends on your definition. They're not unheard of, either. Most games have had a few extended emergency downtimes... probably more have than not.

Multigun
04-21-2013, 04:09 AM
It *is* normal in a sense that it happens to every MMO (Every, single, one. This is meant for people who are going to reply that every other mmo has a "perfect" launch). However, 8 hours + is the exception, Trion usually doesn't keep servers down longer then an hour with the several restarts I have experienced. Last patch they added (the small one not the big one) they said expected downtime was an hour, it was down for 30 minutes instead. Just kind of have to shrug your shoulders and wait.

CrimsonDawntracker
04-21-2013, 04:10 AM
If this crazy long downtime happens again in the future or more....oh god why.

squidgod2000
04-21-2013, 04:12 AM
Used to be normal (24-hour downtime for a patch wasn't out of the question back in the day), but it's not the kind of thing you'd expect from Trion (well, pre-Defiance launch Trion).

Atticus Finch
04-21-2013, 04:14 AM
You PC guys will probably get some nice boosts after all this is over

Altruist
04-21-2013, 04:16 AM
On the plus side, I never had any of the problems most people kept getting when they first got the game. I installed and logged on smooth as eggs.

BrutikusIV
04-21-2013, 04:18 AM
Rare but it does happen. Heck I remember back when a game I used to play had like a full 24hr emergency down time. There is ALOT to the makeup of a modern MMOs and sometimes they need the old 10Lb sledge woopin to flatten bugs when they appear. You can easily expect about a 98% uptime usually after the first month of a launch of most mmo's. The first month though you best bring your chaps and rugged leather gloves.

Sanguinesun
04-21-2013, 04:19 AM
...is this downtime normal? I mean this super long one. Constantly adding hours and such? I just talked my brother into playing it, and we try to log on... then bam. Now I'm pretty sure he won't ever touch it again. So I'm going to need other people to play with.

Ive seen mmo's like wow in the past have whole days of down time when there was enough fubar.

Altruist
04-21-2013, 04:20 AM
Rare but it does happen. Heck I remember back when a game I used to play had like a full 24hr emergency down time. There is ALOT to the makeup of a modern MMOs and sometimes they need the old 10Lb sledge woopin to flatten bugs when they appear. You can easily expect about a 98% uptime usually after the first month of a launch of most mmo's. The first month though you best bring your chaps and rugged leather gloves.

Yeah, guess it makes sense to. This game has lots to consider, like tracking bullets and such. I played 2 days of WoW and it was just point, click a button, watch things happen. Not too much to code for I guess, but I wouldn't really know. As long as it comes back better, and they give us cool gear.

Sanae
04-21-2013, 04:21 AM
In general, when I used to play MMO’s a few years back, such long downtimes weren’t unheard of. These days, I am not sure how common they are.

This is unusual for Defiance, though (at least judging by 2 weeks I am playing it), so perhaps you may be able to talk your brother into playing it after all. He will be missing a lot of fun if he’s into FPS (and possibly even if he isn’t).

Era
04-21-2013, 04:29 AM
Extended downtimes? Normal
Unannounced extended downtimes? Not normal
Unannounced downtimes during launch especially after a major advertizing push increasing server load (ie the launch of the show)? Especially normal
Unannounced downtimes during what is a glorified beta caused by the game being launched premature to keep up with the show? Normal and expected

Altruist
04-21-2013, 04:35 AM
Extended downtimes? Normal
Unannounced extended downtimes? Not normal
Unannounced downtimes during launch especially after a major advertizing push increasing server load (ie the launch of the show)? Especially normal
Unannounced downtimes during what is a glorified beta caused by the game being launched premature to keep up with the show? Normal and expected

My entire life has been put into perspective now. I am at peace. Thank you.
haha, but really, makes sense. They are supposed to be doing a huge patch in a week, right? Guess that's when the real game will come out.

CommissarSCV
04-21-2013, 04:41 AM
My entire life has been put into perspective now. I am at peace. Thank you.
haha, but really, makes sense. They are supposed to be doing a huge patch in a week, right? Guess that's when the real game will come out.

Don't even know whats coming with that patch right now. There was a major patch the day after the show launched that fixed a lot of minor things, but left a lot unanswered. Hopefully we see just as many fixes for the major things like roller resets, and annoying things like the last perk slot unequipping.

Garou
04-21-2013, 04:45 AM
Seeing as how this game is brand spanking new the down time is not bad. You should have seen "space battles" (note name changed for possible copy write infringement ;-) ) the first few months. It was down almost all the time and their regular weekly maintenance time, which shuts down all the servers for 2-10 hours, is always on my day off.

Games like "war maker" (see note above) that have been around for a long time, had similar issues in their early days.

All in all I dont think Trion is doing a bad job but yes when the bugs effect you personally its much more annoying then to those they do not.

Jestunhi
04-21-2013, 05:25 AM

Downtime in general? yes.

This length of unscheduled downtime - more common soon after launch / a big patch but not common in general.