PDA

View Full Version : Southpaw thumbsticks

Ashes2Ashes
03-19-2013, 11:30 AM
If anyone has been able to play could they confirm if you can switch the thumbsticks or not. If that is under NDA I understand I will need to wait... just curious. There have been many games recently I have not bought because they didn't have that ability.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to the game!

Radz
03-19-2013, 11:36 AM
You know, I've never played southpaw before...I should try it and see if I like it...

Ashes2Ashes
03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
As a left handed gamer it has been my more dominate thumb to aim with. Most developers have kept southpaw controls in their games. Some, however, like Ubisoft have become notorious with leaving it out.

Dr D Wayne Love
03-19-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm a lefty that has never tried south paw controls.
I'd don't think I'd manage if I tried to switch now.

ItISLupus
03-19-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm a lefty that has never tried south paw controls.
I'd don't think I'd manage if I tried to switch now.

same.. did you know left handed people are in their right minds? (there forum is that long enough for you)

Bdtry
03-19-2013, 07:36 PM
As a lifelong southpaw I can say I dont like southpaw controls for some reason. Might be because I have just gotten used to them or because I actually shoot and use my right hand to control where the rifle is aiming so it just seems natural to me.

PeaceMaker
03-19-2013, 07:38 PM
South Paw is the Best I use in most shooters Halo 4 for example.

SxDrugsNCake
03-19-2013, 07:42 PM
As a right handed person, I sometimes switch to southpaw controls. Just to see what's most comfortable. It's usually default, but I will say my controls for vehicles in BF3 are southpaw'ed.

Grit
03-20-2013, 04:40 AM
I'm lefthanded and i must admit i've never tried the Southpaw controls. I think that i just got use to the default setups long long ago and that's how it's going to stay. I think by switching to southpaw i'd have to "think" on how to move and aim again lol.

It's a cool feature for ppl that use it but it wouldn't be a gamebreaker for me.

Ashes2Ashes
03-20-2013, 08:41 AM
I appreciate the responses all. Most people when I post my concerns about southpaw automatically jump on me and tell me to switch and get used to it. My response is to try switching to southpaw on CoD or Halo and try it. That is how I feel on default lol.

I hope it does have southpaw options but I may not know until beta in a few days.

Grit
03-20-2013, 08:45 AM
hey there are so many of us awesome left handed people in the world... you don't know how many times i got yelled at growing up for doing things "backwards" haha crap still haunts me lol

MacDeath
03-20-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm a lefty. I joined the US Marines when I was 17 and I was forced to learn to shoot as a righty... During boot camp and and weapon training. As soon as we graduated and went to join the division (1st Mar Div in my case) we were allowed to shoot anyway we wanted to.

In games, I usually use the mouse in my left hand for aiming and shooting and use my right hand for movement controls (I re map WSAD to be Up, Down, Left & Right arrow). I'm pretty sure Defiance will allow us to completely re map any and all controls.

Old Fecker
03-20-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm left handed but have never used southpaw controls for anything.

Similar to MacDeath in the post above, I joined the British Army and was forced to learn to shoot right handed.

I still get called for having inverted look controls though!

Thinking about it, the 360 has a section somewhere in the system settings to allow you to set your default controls for games. Can you not set southpaw in there so all games use it by default?

Ashes2Ashes
03-20-2013, 09:09 AM
yes Fecker on the 360 you can set it to use it by default but only if the game supports it. That is why I was curious if there was an option. I was in the US Army as well and remember the firing range and having to worry about hot casing landing on my arm since I shot left-handed lol.

Would love to see the option.

Grit
03-20-2013, 09:16 AM
I've been hit with a few hot casings while shooting...(wow that sounds bad out of context) kinda just get use to it (makes it sound worse)...anyhow..

I tried using a mouse for my PC with my left hand to see if it made a difference for me...and to be honest it was like the first time i ever used a mouse lol...

I'm getting dizzy right now thinking how wonky it'd be to actually use the southpaw setting....

Ashes2Ashes
03-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Yes that has been my point with people telling me to get used to default. I ask them to get used to southpaw lol.

Grit
03-20-2013, 09:39 AM
honestly had i looked through the settings when i first started doing the FPS/3rdperson shooters i probably would have switched up to southpaw. Oddly enough for Halo3 i ran it's controller layout and tried the tactical layout for CoD and the whole knifing with B messed me up on there haha i have like one gear for each game in my head. I think it's being old and stubborn lol

Ashes2Ashes
03-20-2013, 09:50 AM
We'll just form a lefty crew on Live :)

Grit
03-20-2013, 10:29 AM
HAHA that'd be funny

left handed gamers coalition or something fancy