PDA

View Full Version : Sensor Sweep?

sey
04-21-2013, 10:52 AM
So I'm trying my hand at PVP, having been through pretty much all of the main game. EGO's over a thousand. I'm aware of the Cloak+Shotgunning that everyone's complaining about (and yeah, it's pretty annoying!), but I've also read plenty of people say that Decoy+Sensor Sweep is an effective counter.

Sensor Sweep doesn't seem to do much, though (it's maxed, btw). Does the Sensor Sweep have some kind of duration? The screen only says that "nearby enemies are revealed". Is it like a split-second type of thing—kind of useless if they're creeping up behind me. What if somebody was cloaked just outside of my Sweep, and then they come at me right after I use it? Their Cloak doesn't go away, right? Or what if they (re)activate Cloak right after I use the Sweep? I've been killed multiple times by cloaked opponents right after I send out my Decoy, and they're invisible.

Can somebody explain to me how Sensor Sweep is meant to work, because I assumed that it meant that I'd be able to see Cloaked enemies nearby as long as my Decoy was alive.

Apparently it seems that all it does is make a nearby cloaked enemy visible only if he's close to you the moment you activate the decoy, and it doesn't prevent them from recloaking after that?

Here's a question to Cloak users: When someone uses Sensor Sweep, do you KNOW that they can see you? Obviously there's the "well if I see them send a decoy", but is there some kind of indication for you? Does your cloak go down, or is it just a secret reveal to the Decoy user?

As is, it doesn't seem to be a very effective counter. I'm not the kind of guy who wants Cloak/Shotgun to be nerfed, I think that the Decoy counter should be a little more efficient.

Also, since it's relevant. Anybody have any suggestions/advice for a Decoy build for PVP?

Hermit Grimm
04-21-2013, 11:06 AM
As a Decoy enthusiast myself I have to say that I mostly just run incindiary grenades to detect cloakers. Sensor Sweep is so rarely useful for me that I don't even bother running it anymore. Playing decoy is pretty much like most PvP load outs. Load up on survival perks, grab a gun capable of 1-3 shorting someone with a rhino shield( I love the courier/full auto assault rifle combo. If my courier blast does miss it's usually enough to at least drop their shields. Then I back peddle and fire the AR at longer ranges than they can usually cope with.

But all that can be put into any power load out. What makes decoy unique isn't always the decoy itself. Sometimes the swap is far more useful. Yes, stealth can go somewhere undetected and blur can go some where really fast. But no one else can literally teleport. There's the obvious, go around cover while an enemy I'd shooting at you. Then stop and send out the decoy while you flank back the direction you came from. Everyone's done this. But my favorite use for decoy is placing it somewhere hidden. In a crate or pipe, or better yup up on high ground. Then you pop out of the cover attacking, take a quick kill if you can, then switch places with it. All the enemies have identified you as a threat and start killing the decoy while you're free to come back around again and flank them from above or behind. (Which is why I don't run pure close range weapons) it's more difficult to use than cloak. But it feels so much better to have that tactic edge pay off as well.

sey
04-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks man that sounds pretty sweet.

Disappointing that Sensor Sweep is so useless, especially when I see people all over these forums saying that it's an effective Cloak counter.

fang1192
04-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks man that sounds pretty sweet.

Disappointing that Sensor Sweep is so useless, especially when I see people all over these forums saying that it's an effective Cloak counter.

Thats because they run cloak exclusively.

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
04-21-2013, 11:47 AM
From what I understand, Sensor Sweep only reveals them on your minimap, which is useless IMO because they're hard to see. If it highlighted them with say, a red outline, then it would be much much more useful.

As a Decoy enthusiast myself I have to say that I mostly just run incindiary grenades to detect cloakers. Sensor Sweep is so rarely useful for me that I don't even bother running it anymore. Playing decoy is pretty much like most PvP load outs. Load up on survival perks, grab a gun capable of 1-3 shorting someone with a rhino shield( I love the courier/full auto assault rifle combo. If my courier blast does miss it's usually enough to at least drop their shields. Then I back peddle and fire the AR at longer ranges than they can usually cope with.

But all that can be put into any power load out. What makes decoy unique isn't always the decoy itself. Sometimes the swap is far more useful. Yes, stealth can go somewhere undetected and blur can go some where really fast. But no one else can literally teleport. There's the obvious, go around cover while an enemy I'd shooting at you. Then stop and send out the decoy while you flank back the direction you came from. Everyone's done this. But my favorite use for decoy is placing it somewhere hidden. In a crate or pipe, or better yup up on high ground. Then you pop out of the cover attacking, take a quick kill if you can, then switch places with it. All the enemies have identified you as a threat and start killing the decoy while you're free to come back around again and flank them from above or behind. (Which is why I don't run pure close range weapons) it's more difficult to use than cloak. But it feels so much better to have that tactic edge pay off as well.

I just recently broke my Cloak/Shotty combo and went with Decoy and an LMG/BMG combo. OMG let the hillarity ensue. I thought it was fun popping chumps in the back with a sawed off both pre and post patch, but nothing beats that fuzzy feeling you get when you off a fellow cloaker who just wasted his shot and cloak on your cleverly placed decoy while you watch from a safe vantage point.

Did this in a Shadow War in San Fran the other day. Held down a point with only 2 other teammate (randoms). I placed my Decoy near the point and the cloakers would drive in a distance off, then cloak and go after the decoy, then either my teammates or I would finish them off. Even if they did come after me I would either teleport to my Decoy, provided it was still alive and light them up with my LMG or run away and heal with the BMG and come back to them camping my spot. Easy 22/3 game there.

I've often thought of using Decoy offensively. Most people figure out that its a decoy after 1 or two shots, and most players will not 1-shot a decoy (because of player error), so why not use the decoy to get into the line of fire? That would catch me by surprise if all of a sudden what I thought was a decoy all of a sudden started shooting at me. I think a tank build with a high RoF assualt rifle with siphon on it with a BMG/shotty secondary would work best. Idealy, you'd swap places with the decoy though before your opponent would get to it, catching them off guard.

Hope this helps! :)

sey
04-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Your advice has helped a lot. I'm using the teleport ability on the Decoy now, and teleporting around is a better counter for Cloak than the useless Sensor Sweep.

I'm using an Infector (the one that supposedly has a chance of Sludging opponents) and a SAW, and while I'm still not great, I'm holding my own and feel like I'm no longer bringing my team down. Not bad for a couple of hours of practice.

It's awesome to send out a decoy, watch someone start attacking. They realize it's a decoy and turn on me, and then ZAP, I teleport and unload into them from behind with the SAW.

Also the Infector's doing a lot of work. I can't help but smile when I see all these Cloak kids with huge bugs on their heads walking by me as if I can't see them.

Cloak is absolutely beatable, you just have to outsmart them.

I've often thought of using Decoy offensively. Most people figure out that its a decoy after 1 or two shots, and most players will not 1-shot a decoy (because of player error), so why not use the decoy to get into the line of fire? That would catch me by surprise if all of a sudden what I thought was a decoy all of a sudden started shooting at me. I think a tank build with a high RoF assualt rifle with siphon on it with a BMG/shotty secondary would work best. Idealy, you'd swap places with the decoy though before your opponent would get to it, catching them off guard.

Ahahah this sounds baller. Gotta try that when I'm a little more confident.