PDA

View Full Version : Man I wish this game was more like a real MMO

RegularX
04-21-2013, 01:18 PM
It's lacking so many things.

I still have not been verbally assaulted on chat because I didn't buff some guy before he ran off into a room full of elites (his name might have been Leeroy).

I keep trying to get ganked by some guy with like a Flaming Sword of Fire +500 that he bought off some other guy in China, but it just never seems to happen.

The social aspect is really just not there either. Still waiting to have someone try to figure out the right set of emotes that simulates ********** someone while standing straight up.

And it's really a shame that the coop lacks the challenge of failing because of that one guy who went AFK because he realized he left his kids in the car.

Well, there's always the second patch.

Hycinthus
04-21-2013, 01:21 PM

I still have not been verbally assaulted on chat because I didn't buff some guy before he ran off into a room full of elites (his name might have been Leeroy).

I keep trying to get ganked by some guy with like a Flaming Sword of Fire +500 that he bought off some other guy in China, but it just never seems to happen.

The social aspect is really just not there either. Still waiting to have someone try to figure out the right set of emotes that simulates ********** someone while standing straight up.

And it's really a shame that the coop lacks the challenge of failing because of that one guy who went AFK because he realized he left his kids in the car.

If you like the setting of real world, you may wanna check out The Secret World. It is not perfect, but it's more like MMO setting, it has Auction house, cities (london, NYC, Seoul).

RegularX
04-21-2013, 01:24 PM
If you like the setting of real world, you may wanna check out The Secret World. It is not perfect, but it's more like MMO setting, it has Auction house, cities (london, NYC, Seoul).

It did look interesting. Did it ever come out for Mac?

Booshy
04-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Secret World is epic - too bad the dev team is paper thin and content updates are so minimal.

Hycinthus
04-21-2013, 01:27 PM
It did look interesting. Did it ever come out for Mac?

As far as I know, no unfortunately. But I played it, and quite enjoyed it for some time too. I may even go back, because they have had the major update for the raid in new york city, and I haven't checked back in a while.

There are some investigative missions too that I really enjoyed, where you have to solve puzzle or mysteries. Sometimes it's spooky too.

Shiny Pidgey
04-21-2013, 01:29 PM
It's getting there, you just have to let it grow a while. Yesterday someone used a homophobic slur against me in text chat because my car is pink. One small step at a time, right? Who knows, by this time next week, maybe everyone will be insulting each other. Just like old times.

Schnibbly
04-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Really wish I could have gotten the first patch.. at least I would be able to use chat ... Damn Ps3..

Munx
04-21-2013, 01:33 PM
I wish this game was more like a twinkie, so I could eat it!

I Like this thread, its allowed to be silly here!

ironhands
04-21-2013, 01:33 PM
I see what you did there, nice!

HellOnOrion
04-21-2013, 01:52 PM
MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online

MMO=/= MMORPG

Any game thats online can be considered an MMO

btw =/= means doesnt equal just incase you didnt pay attention in school

Learn your defenitions before complaining

The Notorious Crunchwrap
04-21-2013, 01:56 PM

MMO=/= MMORPG

Someone took a satirical thread a wee bit too seriously...

Shootersa
04-21-2013, 01:56 PM
this is a MMOTPS, not an MMORPG, thats why you dont have an auction house or guy with flaming sword or anything just because it doesn't belong in this genre/ setting of the game.

if you want something like that go back and play your korean MMORPG games. (not that i don't like them cause i love hack and slash or Hardcore MMORPG)

Shiny Pidgey
04-21-2013, 01:59 PM

MMO=/= MMORPG

I don't think you read the OP at all.

Also, since you're so keen on telling people to pay attention in school, I guess I'll go ahead and point out that you are talking entirely in sentence fragments with no punctuation, and you misspelled "that's," "doesn't", "in case" (this is two words), "didn't," and perhaps most ironically "definitions."

You're also wrong, because not every online game can be considered an MMO. The first M stands for Massively. You wouldn't call Halo an MMO, would you? What about Farmville?

And while I'm already dumping all over you, =/= doesn't mean anything, and if your school taught you that, then you went to a terrible school. You're looking for ≠, or !=.

Hycinthus
04-21-2013, 02:00 PM
I don't think you read the OP at all.

Also, since you're so keen on telling people to pay attention in school, I guess I'll go ahead and point out that you are talking entirely in sentence fragments with no punctuation, and you misspelled "that's," "doesn't", "in case" (this is two words), "didn't," and perhaps most ironically "definitions."

You're also wrong, because not every online game can be considered an MMO. The first M stands for Massively. You wouldn't call Halo an MMO, would you? What about Farmville?

And while I'm already dumping all over you, =/= doesn't mean anything, and if your school taught you that, then you went to a terrible school. You're looking for ≠, or !=.

What about <> ?

Shiny Pidgey
04-21-2013, 02:04 PM
What about <> ?

<> doesn't have any meaning that I'm aware of. < and > individually mean "is less than" and "is greater than," so I suppose <> would mean "is both less than and greater than," which is paradoxical.

RegularX
04-21-2013, 02:43 PM
It's getting there, you just have to let it grow a while. Yesterday someone used a homophobic slur against me in text chat because my car is pink. One small step at a time, right? Who knows, by this time next week, maybe everyone will be insulting each other. Just like old times.

Ick, jerks. I assume it is stastically probable that I'll get sexually harassed at some point just for having a female avatar, but hasn't happened yet.

ironhands
04-21-2013, 03:00 PM
I think everyone misunderstood your post. I found it delightful. My inner nerd-rage has been quite restrained lately, barring cars in arkfalls, but still, I do hope there will be more challenging content - but clan only. Pickup groups + events that require strategy=recipe for table flipping.

SteveMND
04-21-2013, 03:04 PM
MMO=/= MMORPG

Congratulations! You win this week's "read the title but didn't actually read the post" award!

Now now, let's not be rude for pettiness' sake... =/= is a common text alternative for ≠, especially for folks that aren't aware of the extended characters or don't have access to them when typing in pure plain text.

Nachyo Chez
04-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Personally, I'm offended by the fact that the game actually provides interesting game play. Aren't the devs aware that MMO gameplay is supposed to be about getting super elite gear from farming the RNG on a specific place until the letters on my keyboard go blank? How am I supposed to enjoy a game that lets my roam so much territory and gives me gear capable of fighting these enemies right off the bat? I mean really. Next they'll try and claim that player skill and enjoyment of the content matter more than gear grinds and weapon ratings... Worst MMO evar.

Krapoton
04-21-2013, 03:13 PM
This is fine, social in mmo-game is so boring.
Waiting 30 minutes at the watchtower for a full group optimised to do something, it sucks.

On Defiance you can just play like you want, solo, with friends, and the world is alive with a lot of players everywhere and persistant.
We don't need to be friends with the first player we see. Especially with a broken english !

RegularX
04-21-2013, 07:07 PM
I think everyone misunderstood your post. I found it delightful. My inner nerd-rage has been quite restrained lately, barring cars in arkfalls, but still, I do hope there will be more challenging content - but clan only. Pickup groups + events that require strategy=recipe for table flipping.

Yeah, and I don't have much time for nerd-rage (or any rage) these days. There are some new and somewhat interesting mechanics to this game, and I'm not sure how they'll play out in say the next month or two of continued play - but the coop stuff is relatively jerk-proof. That's actually kinda impressive. Cars in arkfalls are about the maximum annoyance as far as I can tell, which is pretty smooth all in all (but yes, annoying).

Rakshasa
04-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Ah, clearly the beautiful bird of satire that was the OP gracefully soared far, far over the heads of a few people. :D

I've been amazed that so far nobody has come up to me with the old "can u give me sum moniez/salvage/lootz plz" routine. It just doesn't seem the same, somehow.

Cutlass Jack
04-21-2013, 10:34 PM
"sow plz."

Sylvae
04-21-2013, 11:29 PM
I am very angry about the fact that with only one actual class, there isn't the option to cry for nerfs of other classes!

I mean, if I think Blur is too strong, I can take that and switch my perks to match it. What about crying nerf, until the Devs waste time trying to balance it, only to find out it becomes too nerfed and needs a buff later?

It's these kinds of avoidance of wasteful time and effort that make me miss the old school style of MMOs, when exploits were exploits, and legit players were griefed!

RegularX
04-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Ah, clearly the beautiful bird of satire that was the OP gracefully soared far, far over the heads of a few people. :D

I've been amazed that so far nobody has come up to me with the old "can u give me sum moniez/salvage/lootz plz" routine. It just doesn't seem the same, somehow.

Right? I miss those people at every hub asking "Need L33T drop for food or nothing. Anyone have gold? Looking for gold?"

Or how about all those dumped random items on the ground. Might be good. Might be trash. Guess I'll waste ten or fifteen minutes to find out...

Fiancee
04-21-2013, 11:34 PM
They know by now.. its just if Trion delivers. I think they do. Like they did in Rift. Almost everything they added to the game was asked by the community.

Social hubs, for bank and guild recruitment... Clan stuff, banks, progression, reason to be part of one etc... also I think they need to do those cinematic so everyone in your group shows there.

Raikon
04-22-2013, 12:26 AM

Play with friends in the co-op missions.
Do Ark falls where there at least another 100 people around you.
Yes I agree there are certain elements missing like in WoW, but remember this game is still new.
Hopefully more things will get added to bring that community feeling into this game.
But I'm experiencing many feelings of being around other people often tbh .

Defy
04-22-2013, 12:40 AM
though remember its an MMOTPS not a MMORPG

Regrets
04-22-2013, 12:42 AM
This thread is so full fail I'm actually crying.. I feel so sorry for all of you. NONE of you have set foot in an MMORPG..

Some of you actually think this IS an MMO.

We'll call it an MMO from here on out since that's what they're ****ing called.

This game, I dunno what it is.. but it's the furthest thing from an MMO. It's a console port more than anything and had it never been released for PC things would have been great. (Well they could release it on MAC, all 13 people could play it there for all I care, joke platform for a joke game.)

NONE of the MMO elements required to make this game an actual MMO will be coming to this game. Ever. This is it folks. You're missing out, it's over. Done.

Yes, The Secret World is a great game, on it's way to closure, but still a fantastic (never been done before) MMO. It even runs in DX11 (that's computer speak for your console wouldn't look this good on it's best day) and I played it for a year or so. Very gripping and interesting story.

WoW set the bar, many have tried. Rift came close, but died 6 months later. SWTOR was ok for about 30 days and then EA reared it's big head and ruined it as per usual..

Right now, the ONLY SciFi MMO to date that is worth a look is Firefall. In a very long beta phase, set to open July 9th I think? Many of you won't be able to comprehend it. It will have too many buttons for you to press and an actual community with which you can actually chat with in real time, (MMO) and many things that will bewilder your tiny console heads but once you evolve, your console will gather the dust it deserves, all with this boring, misleading title.. Known as Defiance.

Nikaela
04-22-2013, 01:01 AM
"sow plz."
I have to admit, though it might be showing my age, I got a good laugh out of that :)

MARKINEMPAC82S
04-22-2013, 01:03 AM
it's lacking so many things.

I still have not been verbally assaulted on chat because i didn't buff some guy before he ran off into a room full of elites (his name might have been leeroy).

I keep trying to get ganked by some guy with like a flaming sword of fire +500 that he bought off some other guy in china, but it just never seems to happen.

And it's really a shame that the coop lacks the challenge of failing because of that one guy who went afk because he realized he left his kids in the car.

you need a clan for social part it makes a difference

Dirt Nap
04-22-2013, 01:07 AM
Nim had a flaming sword, right?

Anderson
04-22-2013, 01:20 AM
This game needs more racist 13 year-olds screeching over voice chat.

Captain Nemo
04-22-2013, 01:26 AM
I agree that the game needs more MMO elements, with focus of the social part of the MMO. I'm not even sure how the text chat works. The voice chat is an awful idea IMO, might be just my luck but I've mostly heard Eric Cartman wannabes over the chat. So far, the voice chat's only purpose was to be turned off, for me.

Anyway, I suggest they look into the social aspect of the game, I know the roleplayers would have a blast. But considering the lack of communication with the devs, I suspect it won't come too soon, or ever.

Live2Reap
04-22-2013, 01:34 AM
Why has the OP's post flown over so many peoples heads...

I am so thoroughly amused right now.

nosworc
04-22-2013, 01:55 AM
I actually wish the OP was being serious, i actually do wish this game was like traditional mmo's. At least id have something to work towards gear wise instead of logging on and doing pointless Co-ops with no rewards. Progression is the key to make a mmo last, without that what is the point. For all you people that dont think so can you honestly tell me that your going to enjoy just grinding ego and doing missions for nothing for the foreseeable future?

Wolf
04-22-2013, 02:30 AM
This game so needs a Barrens chat. :cool:

Schwa
04-22-2013, 02:31 AM
I absolutely don't want stat-based progression. I want to see them go further with the skill-based progression we saw from mutants>raiders>99ers>scrappers>dark matter.

And release some co-op missions that aren't garbage lolshootu easy.

nosworc
04-22-2013, 02:36 AM
I absolutely don't want stat-based progression. I want to see them go further with the skill-based progression we saw from mutants>raiders>99ers>scrappers>dark matter.

And release some co-op missions that aren't garbage lolshootu easy.

Skill based? The only thing slightly challenging was Nim and even with him i didnt even die. At least with stat based progression you have something to show for the time you put in with the game.

Schwa
04-22-2013, 02:42 AM
Skill based? The only thing slightly challenging was Nim and even with him i didnt even die. At least with stat based progression you have something to show for the time you put in with the game.

Exactly, they've not finished their design. Dark Matter is an intermediate level of difficulty-- they need higher tiers of enemies. Note I'm not accepting what's in the game right now. I'm just saying making bigger numbers won't solve the core issue, and that's the lack of skill required for anything-- currently.

I really don't want to just see them add bullet sponge targets to force people to "progress" to better weapons that make bigger numbers. Give me something harder to kill that has a better chance of kicking my ***.

Nachyo Chez
04-22-2013, 02:45 AM
Gear progression already ruined enough games, let's leave this one alone.
As Schwa said, harder enemies that need more coordination to put down and offer more game play diversity. That's all we really need. (Though a 'Hard Mode' is never a bad idea)

Schwa
04-22-2013, 02:47 AM
As Schwa said, harder enemies that need more coordination to put down and offer more game play diversity. That's all we really need. (Though a 'Hard Mode' is never a bad idea)

Hard mode would be awesome, and in a flat game like this it's a bit easier to pull off: just add more enemies to the existing instances. Add a few unique mobs to those instances that have different abilities that compliment the existing enemies' AI and you get a gold star.

Nachyo Chez
04-22-2013, 02:49 AM
Hard mode would be awesome, and in a flat game like this it's a bit easier to pull off: just add more enemies to the existing instances. Add a few unique mobs to those instances that have different abilities that compliment the existing enemies' AI and you get a gold star.
Even simpler. They use a detection for when more people come into an area to make the enemies tougher- just start them out on a higher setting. Heck, just sub the normal mobs for all elites. Tons of good options on the already running engine!

Kid Kablam
04-22-2013, 02:52 AM

MMO=/= MMORPG

Also good advice: read the thread before replying.

nosworc

Ruined what games? As far as i was aware that was the whole point of playing an mmo and more to the point keep people playing because they want that ever elusive piece of gear. The way things are at the moment with Defiance i just dont feel any progress. Where is the sense of acomplishment in running Arkfalls, Co-ops, missions, side missions, for little to no reward. Hell even the faction rep is pointless.

Warkaiser

The whole stat based progression thing in the majority of games is kind of an illusion, unless you plan on going and fighting much lower level stuff, which is usually pointless and gives no reward. Sure, you doubled your strength, but the stuff youre fighting also has 2x the hp / defense. End result: Youre just as "strong" in comparison to the new enemies youre fighting as you were when you fought lower level stuff.

Also, thats an RPG thing, nothing to do with MMO. Vertical level / stat / gear progression has been a staple of RPGs since decades before the 1st MMO existed. Defiance not being an RPG though, isnt designed around that same concept. Granted the player skill progression / ramping up of difficulty could use some improvement, and maybe we will see that with the DLCs, but I can just picture it now.... Dozens of threads constantly popping up that the game is too hard now and they cant beat this boss and that boss and its unfair that they cant just grind some arbitrary stat to the point of making the boss fight trivial instead of having to get better as a player.

Schwa
04-22-2013, 02:53 AM
Even simpler. They use a detection for when more people come into an area to make the enemies tougher- just start them out on a higher setting. Heck, just sub the normal mobs for all elites. Tons of good options on the already running engine!

The reason I was so specific (more enemies) is because just scaling the enemies' health creates bullet sponges: bullet sponges that still hit like sissies. More targets, especially if it's substantially more, are going to demand use of cover and will turn a group trying to rambo into sausage.

Nachyo Chez
04-22-2013, 03:01 AM
The reason I was so specific (more enemies) is because just scaling the enemies' health creates bullet sponges: bullet sponges that still hit like sissies. More targets, especially if it's substantially more, are going to demand use of cover and will turn a group trying to rambo into sausage.I was under the impression that the mobs also hit harder in those situations (and could have sworn that archer was making me his prison ***** during the last arkfall) but I could absolutely be mistaken. The main point we're both trying to make is that it's completely possible to up the skill with little to no investment from the company themselves.

Ruined what games? As far as i was aware that was the whole point of playing an mmo and more to the point keep people playing because they want that ever elusive piece of gear. The way things are at the moment with Defiance i just dont feel any progress. Where is the sense of acomplishment in running Arkfalls, Co-ops, missions, side missions, for little to no reward. Hell even the faction rep is pointless.That is certainly the point of some MMOs, but certainly not all. Those're called 'vertical progression'; essentially they create a treadmill of content for you to grind on while they rake in your money. The largest of these currently running is WoW. Now, a clear alternate to that system is Guild Wars (original). You could easily get the top-tier gear and skills inside of a weekend. The 'point' of the game was to experience the amazing content and such. Esentialy the 'point' of the game was to enjoy playing the game. Guild Wars 2 started off bragging to be like the latter, but people who would rather spend hours fighting redundant enemies for the extra +1 on their shoulders complained so loudly that the added stupid amounts of vertical progression.

Hopefully Defiance remains defiant.

Warkaiser
04-22-2013, 03:05 AM
Ruined what games? As far as i was aware that was the whole point of playing an mmo and more to the point keep people playing because they want that ever elusive piece of gear. The way things are at the moment with Defiance i just dont feel any progress. Where is the sense of acomplishment in running Arkfalls, Co-ops, missions, side missions, for little to no reward. Hell even the faction rep is pointless.

Unfortunately it has become the point for many people, but its hardly the only reason for playing an MMO. I play MMOs mainly for the challenge of playing against other players, other splay for the social aspect, some for the economical aspects, etc. If I simply wanted to watch my numbers grow, I could get that out of a single player RPG with much better graphics, story, and mechanics.

There are much much better ways to keep people playing a game rather than forcing people through some gear grind just to increase their numbers, then turn around and release new gear with more numbers increasing the gear grind some more. Just look at GW1 (i know, not an actual MMO) with practically nonexistant gear / stat progression. Only 20 levels, hardly any difference between level 1 & 20 gear, and hell you could simply skip it all and create a PvP character with instant level 20. Yet it remained very popular for years and outsold the majority of MMOs over those years. They key there was a mix of well designed and interesting content being added fairly regularly as well as extremely well balanced PvP with lots of teamwork and large variety of builds with multiple counter-builds to those powerful builds.

nosworc
04-22-2013, 03:14 AM
There are much much better ways to keep people playing a game rather than forcing people through some gear grind just to increase their numbers.

That is exactly what Defiance is doing though, its a long ego grind but the difference is you get nothing for your efforts. I would much rather earn/grind for some awesome gear and have more gear released to work towards. My point is, that is what keeps people playing. The carrot on the stick so to speak. Maybe i have played WoW for too many years but i just dont see how people are going to stick with this. I actually really enjoyed playing until i realized what way the progression was like, makes me sad more than anything else.

Wolf
04-22-2013, 03:56 AM
That is exactly what Defiance is doing though, its a long ego grind but the difference is you get nothing for your efforts. I would much rather earn/grind for some awesome gear and have more gear released to work towards. My point is, that is what keeps people playing. The carrot on the stick so to speak. Maybe i have played WoW for too many years but i just dont see how people are going to stick with this. I actually really enjoyed playing until i realized what way the progression was like, makes me sad more than anything else.

I get were this guy is coming from. I really do. After a decade of playing other mmos its hard to get past the no level progession / gear stats thing. I try not to think about the fact I could play this for the next 100hrs and have nothing to show for it except an EGO rating. I keep telling myself this isn't a mmorpg its a shooter. But still its there nagging at me like that little creature on Jabba the Hutts shoulder. :/

Jamescrow
04-22-2013, 04:05 AM

great game, great storyline and music.
- for the combat system but its ok, i take a break from TSW to play defiance and comeback for dlc.

Cutlass Jack
04-22-2013, 04:47 AM
I have to admit, though it might be showing my age, I got a good laugh out of that :)

And I worried the joke might be too old for anyone to get after I posted it. ;)

ironhands
04-22-2013, 06:55 AM

^^^ this

It would be a simple matter to have a hard mode, in fact, it could be added tomorrow with very little effort on the devs part - duplicate the current co-op map, rename it explosions 101 - hard, and increase the mob spawns by 30-50%, wouldn't even require the UI to be changed.

Granted, this isn't the ideal way to do it, since it would just be sponges, and "arcadey" but it's a step in the right direction until more challenging/strategic events are generated.

ironhands
04-22-2013, 06:58 AM
Exactly, they've not finished their design. Dark Matter is an intermediate level of difficulty-- they need higher tiers of enemies. Note I'm not accepting what's in the game right now. I'm just saying making bigger numbers won't solve the core issue, and that's the lack of skill required for anything-- currently.

I really don't want to just see them add bullet sponge targets to force people to "progress" to better weapons that make bigger numbers. Give me something harder to kill that has a better chance of kicking my ***.

Dark Matter was a challenge for the first while, they still give me a hard time occasionally, I love it. Can't wait to see how the volge are scripted.

nosworc
04-22-2013, 07:04 AM
^^^ this

It would be a simple matter to have a hard mode, in fact, it could be added tomorrow with very little effort on the devs part - duplicate the current co-op map, rename it explosions 101 - hard, and increase the mob spawns by 30-50%, wouldn't even require the UI to be changed.

Granted, this isn't the ideal way to do it, since it would just be sponges, and "arcadey" but it's a step in the right direction until more challenging/strategic events are generated.

This could be good if they were going to have loot drop at the end of the run otherwise having a harder version of a Co-op is still just as pointless.

DeMoted
04-22-2013, 07:06 AM
Man I wish this game was a real game lol

DeMoted
04-22-2013, 07:07 AM

MMO=/= MMORPG

Yea b.c of a definition the game is allowed to play like **** with so much missing.

r3dl4nce
04-22-2013, 07:09 AM
- Game is missing a big city where all players can talk in his/her own national language in public chat so that everyone can understand and have a free language lesson
- The missing of a big city is bad because people have no place where to show his/her Tier10000 super-uper-duper-legendary equip farmed in 30 months of repeating the same raid for 8 hours/day
- And what about the missing of a forced open pvp so people with the above mentioned Tier10000 legendary equip can oneshot new players and then show their "skill" to friends?

Saraya
04-22-2013, 07:10 AM

If this was a clever way of giving the finger to traditional MMORPGs and the idiots that populate them, then salute to you.
If it was you being serious and not realizing that you just pointed out why Defiance is actually different, then ..well fail.

- Game is missing a big city where all players can talk in his/her own national language in public chat so that everyone can understand and have a free language lesson
- The missing of a big city is bad because people have no place where to show his/her Tier10000 super-uper-duper-legendary equip farmed in 30 months of repeating the same raid for 8 hours/day
- And what about the missing of a forced open pvp so people with the above mentioned Tier10000 legendary equip can oneshot new players and then show their "skill" to friends?

Careful you may upset the socialites and social rejects.

nosworc
04-22-2013, 07:14 AM
If this was a clever way of giving the finger to traditional MMORPGs and the idiots that populate them, then salute to you.
If it was you being serious and not realizing that you just pointed out why Defiance is actually different, then ..well fail.

Careful you may upset the socialites and social rejects.

Have you been to an Arkfall lately? There are plenty of idiots populating this game too.

Tgreen
04-22-2013, 07:14 AM
Yes ... I guess no one misses the Barrens chat.
But not being able to reply to whispers without typing the entire name every damn time or chat disappearing and the chat box not displaying more than a couple lines at a time do hurt the social aspect a lot.

Have you been to an Arkfall lately? There are plenty of idiots populating this game too.

Solo'ed most of Explosions 101 recently because 1 guy was afk right from the start and the other two were looking for the first data recorder forever despite the fact that I stood on it for a minute spaming in chat. Good thing mobs only scale up in HP if players are very close to them.
Dekuso was a bit tough though since no one did the adds and the afk guy was still afk ... and hell one used an LMG for the entire fight, including the portion where everyone gets electrocuted, meaning he didn't hit **** for a while.
And the fact that you can still hurt Dekuso for a short amount of time when he teleports back to a turret array seems to still be a secret.
The afk guy was the group leader btw ... so yes, doing anything with other people, be it online or in real life, leads to a fair chance of meeting idiots.

I also had groups that finish coops faster than it's good for the game ... eg. killing the Mother before there were any Archers. It's just the luck of the draw. I'd really like to be able to que up for coops alone and with one or two friends.

No. It cannot ... the first M in MMO stands for massively. Examples for MO games would be Borderlands 2, Torchlight franchise, Starcraft 2, all the MOBA (= DotA clones), D3 etc.
The difference is the way all players are in a single world instead of opening a game that can hold a very finite amount of players.

Keydric
04-22-2013, 07:15 AM
its not a real mmo until your shoulder pad are bigger than your head and your weapon sparkles.

Cutlass Jack
04-22-2013, 07:19 AM
its not a real mmo until your shoulder pad are bigger than your head and your weapon sparkles.

True story. Shoulderpads are tied into your real Ego rating.

nosworc
04-22-2013, 07:20 AM

I'd rather have my big epic shoulder pads and sparkly weapon than playing the game for hours and ending up with nothing.

ironhands
04-22-2013, 07:22 AM
This could be good if they were going to have loot drop at the end of the run otherwise having a harder version of a Co-op is still just as pointless.

keys, or a random weapon drop, sure. but some people are happy with just the fact they accomplished a difficult task

Covington
04-22-2013, 07:22 AM
http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/princessaili/gif%20macros/tumblr_m5lcmmpVkI1qaa03w.gif

Not sure what's better - the cleverness of the OP or the hilarity of it that people took your joke serious. :p

nosworc
04-22-2013, 07:23 AM
keys, or a random weapon drop, sure. but some people are happy with just the fact they accomplished a difficult task

Over and over again?

r3dl4nce
04-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Careful you may upset the socialites and social rejects.Ooooh now I feel sooooooooooooo sorry... https://github.com/kuinak/emoji-cheat-sheet.com/diff_blob/785973ed44e7f7cb984989cfdeb4d79900a1a04d/public/graphics/emojis/trollface.png?raw=true

But not being able to reply to whispers without typing the entire name Never tried /r uh?

- The game is missing a manual printed on paper sent to everyone who bought the game, we all know the game manuals are always read and useful (you know, to lighten the fire in the fireplace)

ironhands
04-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Over and over again?

probably not, but even with an item reward, farming gets old fast.

nosworc
04-22-2013, 07:28 AM

Say that to the millions that play Wow, took me 7 years to get bored lol Not bored of farming for gear, just bored of WoW, i understand what your saying but surely having drops is better than having nothing. I don't see how people are so against the idea, not saying you are but i have had this argument loads on here. It's like they enjoy farming/grinding for absolutley no gain. I don't get it.

r3dl4nce
04-22-2013, 07:32 AM
having drops is better than having nothing. keycodes to open lockboxes = drop with a chance to get a higher rarity item in Defiance

nosworc
04-22-2013, 07:47 AM
keycodes to open lockboxes = drop with a chance to get a higher rarity item in Defiance

So you would prefer 5 keycodes over a Co-op with a boss Loot table? Hmmm

Tgreen
04-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Dark Matter was a challenge for the first while, they still give me a hard time occasionally, I love it. Can't wait to see how the volge are scripted.

Interestingly enough I have a harder time with Dark Matter now than I did when I first encountered them. I guess I'm just playing more reckless now that I can cut through everything else without having to care about dying.

I really like the concept of the Bulkwarks. Since they are a real pain if you don't combat them correctly, but once you do they are stunned for a great portion of the fight. A good mechanic, that rewards smart tactical and positional play imho.
Monitors are great as well.

Don't like the health pool of the Enforcers though. Sponge is not a good mechanic and they lack grenades ... they should have flashbangs and more defensive maneuvers instead of standing around soaking bullets like a boss.

No need for damage soakers. Don't add more generic mobs. Make many of those that are there right now Elite and have more Lt. and big mobs spawn. For your example at the second and third tanker location there now is an increased number of Elite blasters on high ground and a second Tanker.
Yes, these are a lot more health pools to empty, but more importantly the offensive power of the seperate mob groups gets bumped up a lot, the difference between one and two Tankers is quite big since now one player at a time kiting rockets isn't enough.

For the boss fights, more HP would not hurt - most die really really fast, which defeats any well thought out mechanic, something everyone who ever set a foot in MMORPGs knows - and they need more offensive power themselfes, not neccesarily more adds.
Examples from the top of my head:
Piercer throwing grenades at players that don't hold aggro in addition of his minigun and going into adrenal rages periodically increasing movement, rate of fire and the rate of him switching targets by something along 400%.
Dekuso using his electical flash each time he teleports to the middle not just once halfway through the fight. Wall turrets dealing actual damage and Dekuso's 'laser' being used not once in a while but him teleporting next to random players in short intervals assaulting them instead of staying at one location trying to hit one player once or twice before he teleports away again.

Neither of these mechanics would be a new addition but simply a logical evolution of what these bosses do right now.

As for rewards ... more keys and a purple with chance for orange or a guaranteed random synergy mod.
Also, EGO requirement should be around 3-4 times of the basic co-op, weeding out inexperienced players easily ... that the basic co-op has to be completed before the hard version should't even be mentioned.

I fully expect to see DLCs containing new co-ops, enemy and item types ... with or without hard modes.

keycodes to open lockboxes = drop with a chance to get a higher rarity item in Defiance

Yes ... chance of ... had around 50/50 blues and greens in all the T3 lockboxes yesterday ... bought 5 or 6 of them and just didn't bother after that, not sure if I even want to spend the keys I have right now ... a friend pulled 2 oranges out of a single T3 box not 3 min after I complained about the crappy loot though.
By now I somehow get the feelings accounts are flagged for loot ... not unheard of in MMO games. -.-

r3dl4nce
04-22-2013, 08:03 AM
So you would prefer 5 keycodes over a Co-op with a boss Loot table? HmmmYes, so I can play WHATEVER I want, not be forced in farm what I don't like, and still get the same rewards as other players

DeMoted
04-22-2013, 08:06 AM
When you start talking about lockboxes and RNG don't forget to bring along your tinfoil hat b.c the conspiracy nuts come out.

nosworc
04-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Yes, so I can play WHATEVER I want, not be forced in farm what I don't like, and still get the same rewards as other players

What? How would you be forced into anything? You get keycodes from Co-ops anyway, what's wrong with having loot as well?

Myst
04-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Well this is why I hope they take some of our suggestions to heart, add more meat to those long drives. More random hulkers which are fun to fight and the like.

RegularX
04-22-2013, 09:07 AM
I'd rather have my big epic shoulder pads and sparkly weapon than playing the game for hours and ending up with nothing.

Yes, I do miss being able to tell how much higher level the other player is simply by the size and overall glow of his codpiece.

RegularX
04-22-2013, 09:08 AM
When you start talking about lockboxes and RNG don't forget to bring along your tinfoil hat b.c the conspiracy nuts come out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

ironhands
04-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Say that to the millions that play Wow, took me 7 years to get bored lol Not bored of farming for gear, just bored of WoW, i understand what your saying but surely having drops is better than having nothing. I don't see how people are so against the idea, not saying you are but i have had this argument loads on here. It's like they enjoy farming/grinding for absolutley no gain. I don't get it.

That kind of grind/farm appeals to them, as they've been farming items forever. It's one of the central mechanics to the game. Keycodes is the better way to do things overall for a few reasons. Firstly, they're redeemed for the rewards, at whatever tier you decide, and secondly, if the main/easiest method of obtaining loot is via lockboxes, people will likely be more inclined to purchase them as well with bits, keeping the funding going.

That's the trouble I feel with the "WoW mentality" that you only do a co-op or raid for the item reward/gear grind, rather than the fun or challenge. I don't see the appeal of doing the same dungeon repeatedly for gear anymore, after doing end-game raids for years, and a lot are looking for something new - especially those that haven't come from an MMORPG background.

ironhands
04-22-2013, 09:13 AM
No need for damage soakers. Don't add more generic mobs. Make many of those that are there right now Elite and have more Lt. and big mobs spawn. For your example at the second and third tanker location there now is an increased number of Elite blasters on high ground and a second Tanker.

I agree entirely, I was just suggesting a quick and easy method. There are many ways to accomplish the same goal. We'll almost certainly see new co-ops and enemies. I'm pretty sure the first DLC will be Volge - we already have the models on our hard drives.

RegularX
04-22-2013, 09:16 AM
That's the trouble I feel with the "WoW mentality" that you only do a co-op or raid for the item reward/gear grind, rather than the fun or challenge. I don't see the appeal of doing the same dungeon repeatedly for gear anymore, after doing end-game raids for years, and a lot are looking for something new - especially those that haven't come from an MMORPG background.

Yeah I fail to see how running through instance dungeon X and killing raid boss Y for the Z time and not getting the specific item you wanted is any better than running through instance dungeon X and killing coop boss Y for the Z time and not getting the specific item you wanted.

Seriously though, the difference is that there is no item you can "raid for" in Defiance. Which is fine for me.

ironhands
04-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Yeah I fail to see how running through instance dungeon X and killing raid boss Y for the Z time and not getting the specific item you wanted is any better than running through instance dungeon X and killing coop boss Y for the Z time and not getting the specific item you wanted.

Seriously though, the difference is that there is no item you can "raid for" in Defiance. Which is fine for me.

LOL! Excellent point, I guess the only difference is that in the first example, the loot table is smaller, only have the chances of getting 1 of 10 items, instead of a lockbox which could be 1/1000 different items. At its core, this game was designed to be a casual hop-in, hop-out (or hop a lot in pvp) kind of game. I've done all I need to do in explosions 101, but I still do it every day or two 'cause it's fun, as are the arkfalls. It'll be great once we get some new ones. I still haven't touched several co-op maps yet

Insanityplea
04-22-2013, 09:23 AM
This game is NOT AN MMO! THERE IS NO MISSION TO GET POW BACON!

Now if we could get a side mission to deliver Pow Bacon to every NPC of value in under 15seconds and fast travel is restricted, it would so be an MMO.

other missions that is missing.

Put out the fires at the orphange. Wheres that one?

Burn the books because someone said so

Figure out who stole the church/safe haven/<insert other locations> food/money/weapons/ammo/<insert other mandatory survival thing here>.....Its usually the ****ing priest!

Oh and we also need 20man raid content where half the people are using keybinds from third party programs that do everything for them including healings, damaging and target friendly / follow after the set time for encounter.

And I want a taco.

nosworc
04-22-2013, 09:23 AM

We are still doing that now, grinding co-ops for key codes so we can open boxes for gear. It's the same thing only the lockboxes have a lot more RNG to them. If anything having loot in co-ops would entice people to do them more. Maybe its just me but im bored of running co-ops already.

ironhands
04-22-2013, 09:27 AM
We are still doing that now, grinding co-ops for key codes so we can open boxes for gear. It's the same thing only the lockboxes have a lot more RNG to them. If anything having loot in co-ops would entice people to do them more. Maybe its just me but im bored of running co-ops already.

I'm not grinding. If I were, I'd be doing them over and over just to get the codes. I'm doing them for fun, and the keys just accumulate, just like the upper end pursuits.

RegularX
04-22-2013, 09:35 AM
this game is not an mmo! There is no mission to get pow bacon!

Now if we could get a side mission to deliver pow bacon to every npc of value in under 15seconds and fast travel is restricted, it would so be an mmo.

Other missions that is missing.

Put out the fires at the orphange. Wheres that one?

Burn the books because someone said so

figure out who stole the church/safe haven/<insert other locations> food/money/weapons/ammo/<insert other mandatory survival thing here>.....its usually the ****ing priest!

Oh and we also need 20man raid content where half the people are using keybinds from third party programs that do everything for them including healings, damaging and target friendly / follow after the set time for encounter.

And i want a taco.

omg i have killed so many pows and i still have no pow bacon

RegularX
04-22-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm not grinding. If I were, I'd be doing them over and over just to get the codes. I'm doing them for fun, and the keys just accumulate, just like the upper end pursuits.

Same here. I don't feel like I'm grinding. No more than playing the same COD map 100 times. And no, I'm not comparing COD to Defiance, I'm just saying I like running around, shooting things and then seeing how my score turned out.

And oh hey look: loot.

Warkaiser
04-22-2013, 09:37 AM

Its a completely different mindset / playstyle, one that doesnt appeal to some groups but appeals greatly to others. Ive spent about as much time in shooters over the years as I have in MMOs. Its never been about character / gear / stat progression. In fact, if it was, it would become an RPG with shooter combat, not an actual shooter. Its about honing your own skills as a player and the enjoyment of kicking the crap out of people because you were better, not because you had much better armor, weapons & stats.

To someone who is used to, or simply prefers, charcter progression over player progression it's hard to "get it". But at the same time, people like me also tend to dislike the arbitrary grind for gear and stats just as much as you dislike not getting awesome gear for doing something.

nosworc
04-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Same here. I don't feel like I'm grinding. No more than playing the same COD map 100 times. And no, I'm not comparing COD to Defiance, I'm just saying I like running around, shooting things and then seeing how my score turned out.

And oh hey look: loot.

I wish i had your guys patience, i just cant shake my need for progression i guess. Too many years of World of Warcraft has messed with my brain. :P

ironhands
04-22-2013, 09:44 AM
I wish i had your guys patience, i just cant shake my need for progression i guess. Too many years of World of Warcraft has messed with my brain. :P

I think we might be seeing this kind of trend in the future. I'm wondering if Destiny will be similarly modeled on exploration/lack of grind. I haven't looked into it since last i heard they weren't releasing on PC

nosworc
04-22-2013, 09:48 AM
I think we might be seeing this kind of trend in the future. I'm wondering if Destiny will be similarly modeled on exploration/lack of grind. I haven't looked into it since last i heard they weren't releasing on PC

I haven't heard much at all about Destiny to be honest, i'll defo be picking it up though to see what its like.

ironhands
04-22-2013, 09:51 AM
I haven't heard much at all about Destiny to be honest, i'll defo be picking it up though to see what its like.

they've gone out of their way to distance themselves from the MMO association, despite persistent world and social aspects, I think to avoid the issues of vertical progression, but really, it's too early for anything solid I think, also, eff them for not publishing to PC if that's how it turns out, there's really no reason to NOT release on PC if you're publishing for 2 consoles already, even if it is just a straight-up port.

Rumbleskin
04-22-2013, 09:55 AM
"sow plz."
Rumbleskin cast spirit of the wolf

ironhands
04-22-2013, 10:03 AM

/ooc Temp at nexus stone

RegularX
04-22-2013, 10:10 AM

I guess for me the progression is just playing around with different builds as I get more able to unlock stuff. I started with a blur/melee build, but now I'm playing around with a combo of the skills that do things like reset gren time after explosive kills, and the perks that make explosive kills work better. Big badda boom.

Although it is interestingly more effective against groups of lower mobs (especially skitterlings) than elite/boss types. More about AoE than anything else.

The more EGO, the more I can have unlocked at once, the more I can plug and play different things. Getting better loot is part of that, but I'm not going to do a coop match simply so that I can, say, get a specific RPG type.

Oceanhawk
04-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Calling this game a MMO is like calling Chuck Norris just a guy. This is nearly as far apart from what makes a game a MMO as a game can get.

Cutlass Jack
04-22-2013, 10:33 AM

/em cheers and chases after Fippy Darkpaw

ironhands
04-22-2013, 10:37 AM
/em cheers and chases after Fippy Darkpaw

undead fippy darkpaw in the expansion a few years ago was a nightmare raid.

r3dl4nce
04-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Calling this game a MMO is like calling Chuck Norris just a guy. This is nearly as far apart from what makes a game a MMO as a game can get.

Is Defiance a MMO? Yes.
Is Defiance a MMORPG? No.
Is Defiance a Wow-clone MMORPG? Thank Gods, NO!

Daholic
04-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Is Defiance a MMO? Yes.
Is Defiance a MMORPG? No.
Is Defiance a Wow-clone MMORPG? Thank Gods, NO!

Its funny, ive never played wow, not only that, theres other games thats taken what wow has done and did it better, thats research, and combining the P2W and F2P model.

See that, improving upon what been done, Defiance went backwards. You might love this model, see nothing wrong with that, but imagine how many people that feels they went backwards, or feel counter productive in Defiance?

Whenever yall tell someone to take a break and come back after the dlc is installed, i laugh ever time i read that. You guys are trying so hard to keep the population, then turn around and tell someone to quit in the same breath.

Boredom id human nature, just last week there was a guy who was all fanboyish everyday until he got to the point of what everyone was talking about, now all of a sudden, hes was bored. Mot of you purposely limit your content consumption, log in, do 20 arkfalls, go afk for 2 hrs, then come to the forums acting like you have so much content left and dont see how anyone can be done...thats crazy

chefwhitey
04-22-2013, 11:18 AM

I think its funny that you start a completely sarcastic post, and are joking about complaining about this game and the fanboy trolls still come out to defend this game at all costs. And they can't tell that your not even being serious about your complaints.

Thats whats wrong with this forum! Any time someone has a negative opinion about this game, they are not allowed too! Because there opinion is not as valid as the almighty Fanboy Trolls!

Duskky
04-22-2013, 11:27 AM
I wish this game was more like a twinkie, so I could eat it!

I Like this thread, its allowed to be silly here!

You mean Cloud Cake. Twinkies no longer exist in this realm.

ironhands
04-22-2013, 11:27 AM
I think its funny that you start a completely sarcastic post, and are joking about complaining about this game and the fanboy trolls still come out to defend this game at all costs. And they can't tell that your not even being serious about your complaints.

Thats whats wrong with this forum! Any time someone has a negative opinion about this game, they are not allowed too! Because there opinion is not as valid as the almighty Fanboy Trolls!

Nobody's allowed to have an opinion here, period. If someone posts anything positive it gets jumped on as well

Warkaiser
04-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Nobody's allowed to have an opinion here, period. If someone posts anything positive it gets jumped on as well

Found that pretty amusing myself. Especially considering he is one of the people that tends to immediately jump on anything remotely positive and start raging about how whoever said it is a blind fanboy lacking the ability to use logic and too stupid to know wether or not they enjoy something and the fact that if you merely mention 1 postive, or correct 1 negative, it immediately means you are 100% in denial of any and all issues / flaws that the game has which are completely unrelated to the topic being discussed.

Made even more amusing by the fact that he admits he moved on to other games, yet is still hanging around the forums for a game he cant stop complaining about. I think he just needs a hug, or something else to do with his life besides obsessing over a video game he claims to have left.

ironhands
04-22-2013, 11:59 AM
that's forums for ya

r3dl4nce
04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
You might love this model, see nothing wrong with that, but imagine how many people that feels they went backwards, or feel counter productive in Defiance?Not being force in a carrot-on-a-stick farm-instances-for-equip grind is going backwards?
Let's go backwards all the day, please!!

Whenever yall tell someone to take a break and come back after the dlc is installedThat's the meaning of the business model Buy2Play. You but the game, you play when and how much you want, you can sto playing for days or weeks and then come back at anytime...

All the gear-grind games really ruined lot of people... that is sad.

Ensu
04-22-2013, 01:53 PM

Weren't loot drops in WoW partially replaced by "heroic" badge farming and the like?

ScubaSteve
04-26-2013, 12:13 PM

MMO=/= MMORPG

You are completely misunderstanding what this thread is about.

The only thing that I can say at the moment is that arkfalls need some more variety, which is probably something they have plans for already.

GodSpark
04-26-2013, 01:19 PM

Defiance's progression is more real than WoW's. In WoW the enemies grow stronger as you/they level up. In Defiance they do not. Therefor any stats gained from levels/armor/weapons are moot since the enemies growth counteracts it. So what you are left with is fights that have bigger numbers but ultimately take the same amount of time as earlier fights.

In Defiance the bonuses are small and subtle, but they are real. Any increase is a true increase because enemies are static. Wrap your brain around that. Now enough serious talk!

Yes, I do miss being able to tell how much higher level the other player is simply by the size and overall glow of his codpiece.

Indeed. It is unfortunate that we Defiance players cannot display our superiority in such a marvelous manner. Nothing impressed the "dancing for tips" girls like a bit of massive, polished, and pulsating manhood armor. Speaking of dancers, I have yet to see a single one. This is unacceptable! How am I supposed to throw a sexy clan party without females of various species running about in their default undergarments?

ironhands
04-26-2013, 02:00 PM
there's a dance emote. it's just a sad dance.

Bamboozled
04-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Progression = Weapon Skills + Pursuits.

To the OP, so glad there is no area chat.
I do wish the chat window was larger, and text stayed up even longer.
But I am in a clan with TS, so the chat thing doesn't really bother me.

Wanderer
04-26-2013, 02:26 PM

Because you are doing exactly as the skinner box has trained you, kill this for Z ammount of time for a chance at X reward...When the whole point of the game should be about having fun, rewards are icing on the cake, I dont see any point in playing a game with stale mechanics endlessly chasing the carrot on the stick. I would rather developers focus on fun and meaningful gameplay.
is this your MMO.....??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWtvrPTbQ_c

Dseaver
04-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Just think of it as Counter Strike + Borderlands.
TPS MMO like Defiance is almost purely action & combat oriented as it should be.

Strontium Dog
04-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Havent heard the usual NINJA LOOTER WARNING !! etc in chat either..

..sad pandas :(

Jeff Kaos
04-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Do you REALLY want to have fun in Defiance? Ignore the contracts and the pursuits. I never once went out of my way to complete one and I have nothing to complain about when it comes to character progression and "raids for loot". I mean sometimes I end up completing one just through the way I normally play but otherwise I don't think too much about them. Seriously, just ignore that crap, it's definately liberating.
Besides, what's the point of spending all your time doing them? So you can get a differently colored car? Or maybe a neat outfit and title that no one can see anyway? Until I can get a freakin' jet pack from a pursuit I'm going to just play the game instead of work the game.