PDA

View Full Version : Trion, we need better communication from YOU to US

mattc
04-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Honestly, there's no excuse. Someone at Trion should have "quickly notify player-base of game problems and post updates often until the problem is resolved," in their job description.

This kind of silence makes me wonder about Trion's competence, professionalism, and future; and do you folks at Trion really want your players wondering whether or not Defiance has a future? Or enough employees? Or commitment to customer service? Or. . . well, you get the idea, right?

If you don't have an employee available or capable of keeping the player-base informed, go hire one now. If you do, fire him or her and go hire another now. Ignoring player satisfaction will only lead to players ignoring your need for income.

JammyThumbs
04-21-2013, 04:30 PM
I love this game but I do agree it would be nice to hear whats being worked and the vision for the game going ahead.

KashraFall
04-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Trion kept us up to date on what they had coming up on the 15th. They said before the patch they had a big patch coming up on the 15th but gave no notes. Then they gave a draft and were promptly yelled at for the lack of information in the draft. Then the final patch notes came up and people were slightly satisfied. Then the patch needed to be patched and they kept us up to date. The last thing you were told was they had another content release DLC maybe? Planned for the 29th, so why are you saying you need to know what they are doing every moment of every day?

Booshy
04-21-2013, 04:35 PM
I agree there needs to be way more communication - especially when things like yesterday happened with the huge downtime and rollbacks and then nothing communicated about that at all

Omnifarious Xji
04-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Trion kept us up to date on what they had coming up on the 15th. They said before the patch they had a big patch coming up on the 15th but gave no notes. Then they gave a draft and were promptly yelled at for the lack of information in the draft. Then the final patch notes came up and people were slightly satisfied. Then the patch needed to be patched and they kept us up to date. The last thing you were told was they had another content release DLC maybe? Planned for the 29th, so why are you saying you need to know what they are doing every moment of every day? This. Hell, even the executive producer is on the action! You NEVER see people that high up on the chain in the action.

wonderhawk
04-21-2013, 04:37 PM
I mean no disrespect to anyone here on either side of the fence, but the fact is Trion was absolutely horrid when it came to communication when Rift was launched and afterwards, so I highly doubt you will get anything different with Defiance. They have absolutely poor communications. As a PM, comms are very important in all directions. With Trion not communicating to us, the internal comms one would think are just as fubar. The forums are just as horrid as a communication tool, in game comms are non-existant, so it comes to no surprise to me whatsoever based on past experience with Rift, and current comms that Trion doesn't care at all about communications in any direction. I actually feel quite sorry for the PM's on staff there....especially those who took the time to get their PMP cert../shrug

Fiox
04-21-2013, 04:38 PM
They've beeen pretty talkative compared to most mmo companies I guess your to blind to read the dev tracker/ community blog.

mattc
04-21-2013, 04:44 PM
In fact, we still have no idea what happened, why the rollback, how Trion will try to keep this from happening again, or when a real fix is coming. Most SUCCESSFUL MMOs communicate far better than this. Get on the ball, Trion. And back under your rocks, trolls.

Kane
04-21-2013, 04:45 PM
i do agree with the op, i would like trion to comm with us and let us know wht they are working on, but not if that would slow the dev process

Fiox
04-21-2013, 04:49 PM
In fact, we still have no idea what happened, why the rollback, how Trion will try to keep this from happening again, or when a real fix is coming. Most SUCCESSFUL MMOs communicate far better than this. Get on the ball, Trion. And back under your rocks, trolls.
Oh man 24 hours and they haven't said anything the world is ending the world is ending thats what you sound like. Cut them some slack they've been busting their ***** just to get the servers back up for pc sorry they didn't have the time to give a response on the forums probably because their still busy trying to fix things.

KashraFall
04-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Does it matter what happened? There was a problem, they occur. Trion did the smart thing and rolled everyone back. This resolved the problem for the most part with a bit of casualty being people's weapons and or mods. Get ahold of them and tell them about it, sometimes they return the items in question.

Digital Parasite
04-21-2013, 05:08 PM
This is complete and utter BS, they have been the most communicative gaming company I've ever seen, I am still surprised by how much info they give us, it being either patches, downtime, or upcoming DLC.

KashraFall
04-21-2013, 05:10 PM
This is complete and utter BS, they have been the most communicative gaming company I've ever seen, I am still surprised by how much info they give us, it being either patches, downtime, or upcoming DLC.

Exposing the upcoming DLC would likely give a spoiler to what may be in what from the series. I can forgive them for that alone if nothing else.

Booshy
04-21-2013, 05:31 PM
They've beeen pretty talkative compared to most mmo companies I guess your to blind to read the dev tracker/ community blog.

Really? Mind pointing me to the dev tracker posts that address the issues from yesterday? And more talkative? Not sure what mmo's you've been playing.

Booshy
04-21-2013, 05:33 PM

Which other company have you seen? Mimes gaming incoprated?

SSlarg
04-21-2013, 05:35 PM

agreed, twitter, facebook, and Blog updates rather regularly
loads of messages to the community (including the recent Q&A)
and the fact support WILL fix your problem if you're patient and friendly.

what more could you want? (rhetorical question)

WrathPhoenix
04-21-2013, 05:38 PM

The rollback was because something happened with the database. Many players were kicked offline and came back on with their ego levels boosted but many of their weapon skills out of sync. By this i mean i logged out at level 700ish and came back in and was level 1500

Fiox
04-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Really? Mind pointing me to the dev tracker posts that address the issues from yesterday? And more talkative? Not sure what mmo's you've been playing.

They just got done getting them back up they are probably getting a slight break for a little bit there will be a post about it so chill out and I've played everything from wow (Vanilla) to many other mmos too many to remember really BUT even vanilla wow had less talk from blizzard when **** went wrong. Trion is doing a better job of communicating than most MMO companies have at launch.

Sanguinesun
04-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Trion's been pretty communicative. That said:

"Just ignore everything they say and only pay attention to what they do.” -Randy Pausch

Malachi
04-21-2013, 06:13 PM
I agree and disagree at the same time. The devs do a great job at keeping us notified, and even the executive producer releases incredibly honest blog posts.

BUT at the same time...I wish the community manager would reply to threads more often. There are days when they don't post at all.

Avelya
04-21-2013, 06:13 PM
I agree there needs to be way more communication - especially when things like yesterday happened with the huge downtime and rollbacks and then nothing communicated about that at all

This... NOTHING was said by a dev about yesterday's **** up... Are they ashamed of their mistake or do they just don't care to communicate what happened to us ?

EdgeTW
04-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Huh.

I don't know what kind of communication you all like seeing, but to me stuff like these examples below is what I call getting involved with your community (and, no, I don't expect you to read through them) :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8411981159?page=2#32

Lead Encounter Designer Ion "Watcher" Hazzikostas noticed this thread last night and has these thoughts to share:

Yes, Oondasta's maximum health has been reduced by 50%. The design intent behind this boss was for the primary audience to be guilds rather than pickup groups. That is why we placed Oondasta on a relatively remote island, surrounded by powerful elite dinosaurs that make solo travel in the area a dicey proposition. It's why he has mechanics that will outright kill you without the coordinated use of cooldowns, and careful positioning. It's a very different philosophy than our approach to designing bosses like Sha of Anger or Nalak. Of course, things didn't exactly play out as we envisioned -- as we all know, it was possible to overwhelm Oondasta with sheer numbers. While not intended, that was not entirely negative. There have been some pretty epic experiences on the Isle of Giants in the last couple of weeks. There's something to be said for the sight of a hundred spells and missiles flying through the air at a huge dinosaur.

We could have made a number of changes that would have made this approach entirely impossible: Consider a version of Oondasta with a Spiritfire Beam that could hop to 99 targets instead of 20, and a Doomwalker-style debuff that prevented players who had died during the encounter from re-engaging. Definitely not zergable. But that doesn't mean that people would stop trying, and the result would likely be a boss that no one could kill, and a frustrating experience for most participants. So we didn't do that.

Ultimately, while our server hardware is much, much more powerful than what we had in place during the days of events like the Opening of Ahn'Qiraj years ago, it still has limits. And what we have increasingly been observing was players massing around Oondasta in such great numbers that it brought servers to their knees. As word spreads that Oondasta has spawned, more and more people flock to the Isle of Giants for a piece of the action. Many people have been in Oondasta fights where spells took multiple seconds to cast, and the dinosaur perhaps stopped using its abilities entirely. Players with anything but the very best computers saw nothing but a slideshow. And in extreme cases, the entire continent of Pandaria crashed. That simply isn't an acceptable experience for our players, and so we reduced Oondasta's health, so that smaller groups are more likely to be successful, and he'll likely die before so many players arrive that it degrades the experience for everyone present. If server capacity were limitless, we wouldn't have made any of these changes, but alas that is not the case.

Oondasta clearly did not deliver on our original expectations. We'll apply the lessons learned from this experience to any future world bosses we add.

And another one..

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8197590653#1

Lead Systems Designer Greg Street (Ghostcrawler) wanted to give notice of several class hotfixes that went live last night along with the reasoning behind those changes.

Hotfixes:

Mage: Nether Tempest, and Living Bomb have their damage increased by 40%. Both spells now deals 70% of its damage when used against other players, down from 100%.
Mage: Frost Bomb damage have been increased by 40%. Frost Bomb now deals 60% of its damage when used against other players, down from 80%.

We’re happy with the relative power of Arcane, Fire and Frost mages in PvE to each other, but all three specs are below where we want them. We were hoping that once groups got past the first few 5.2 raid encounters that benefit a lot from multi-dotting that we’d see mage DPS climb, but it’s not there yet. We don’t want to change rotations or force players to change specs, so we wanted a relatively passive change.

We decided to buff the bombs because it affects all three specs relatively similarly and is as close to a passive form of damage as mages have. Had we buffed the cast-time nukes, the risk is that mages would lose even more DPS on high movement or high multi-dot fights, which wasn’t our intent. If these buffs aren’t sufficient, we will happily make more, but we’d rather make a few buffs a few times in a row rather than over buff then have to nerf it back down.

Warlock: Corruption damage -25%.
Warlock: Doom damage -25%.
Priest: Shadow Word: Pain damage -25%.

We want the dot specs to do well in multi-dot scenarios, but Affliction, Demonology and Shadow were doing too well on multi-dot fights and are still quite competitive on non-multi-dot fights. Balance druids, so far, are where we want them to be.

Death Knight: Howling Blast secondary target damage to 50% of primary target (down from 65%)
Death Knight: Rune Strike damage +25%.
Warrior: Shield Slam damage +25%.
Warrior: Deep Wounds damage for Protection only, +50%.

We’re keeping a close eye on death knights. Frost and Unholy are both performing really well, but Frost was higher than we wanted during cleave-type scenarios. They will still be quite good at cleaving even with this change.

Tank DPS is a difficult metric to measure because some tanks care a lot about their DPS, and work to maximize it, while others are content to fill the more traditional tank role of worrying about survivability and boss control, and pay less attention to their DPS. Therefore, it’s challenging to analyze logs and determine whether you’re seeing the full potential of tank DPS or not. For now, we think warrior and DK tank DPS was a little low, so we took steps to adjust it.

Remember, it’s not a goal that every spec do exactly equally well in every possible encounter, and in fact we think that would be boring. We just don’t want things to get so extreme that certain specs feel like they aren’t meaningfully contributing to the group’s efforts. All of this means that raid performance is a somewhat subjective call and we’d like to ask that you keep that in mind as you offer your feedback.

Now, those are just run of the mill forum postings over at Blizzard. I've had my fill of WoW and am all too happy to never play it again. But one of the things that helped keep me playing that game for years was that they took the time to engage their audience. And I know some developers like to use the excuse that if they're posting on the forums they're not developing the game, and that players need to choose which they'd rather have.. but Blizzard manages to juggle both and I don't think anyone has ever accused their game of being short on content. So, enough with that excuse.

It's an MMO. Engaging your players is part of the job.

Ichidakiller
04-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Trion kept us up to date on what they had coming up on the 15th. They said before the patch they had a big patch coming up on the 15th but gave no notes. Then they gave a draft and were promptly yelled at for the lack of information in the draft. Then the final patch notes came up and people were slightly satisfied. Then the patch needed to be patched and they kept us up to date. The last thing you were told was they had another content release DLC maybe? Planned for the 29th, so why are you saying you need to know what they are doing every moment of every day?

Ooo I got it the op won't be happy till there is a Trion live feed like a reality show....oooo I nominate sledge for the role of snookie..... That would never work.
QUICK I NEED 24CANS OF SPRAY ON TAN!!!!

PERFECT!!!

Rend
04-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Cut them some slack they've been busting their ***** just to get the servers back up for pc sorry they didn't have the time to give a response on the forums probably because their still busy trying to fix things.

A company has many positions.
What if I told you, that you donīt need the whole developer or programming team sitting on the forums to throw a quick update? That would be ridiculous, yes!

In fact you only need one person, who takes five minutes out of his day to do as OP suggests. It is really not that hard now, is it?

I donīt know why people always assume that we are demanding the whole ****ing company to stand ready and comment on anything at all times.

You make it sound as if Trion has 5 employees which are sitting behind screens ever since the launch w/o any break.
Please get some sense and thoughts behind your arguing!

All OP is saying, is that he would like better communication from Trion on their official forums, where everyone in the world who is playing the game checks in for news and updates.

As annoying it might be for you to read threads like these, it is as annoying for us who have to deal with such complete pointless posts from fanboys, when asking for a ****ing update from time to time.
Also, all these guys coming to the forums, believe it or not, actually care about the game. Otherwise they would not be bothered with coming here and asking or searching for some help.

It is a cry for help rather than just a rant to piss people off.

MacDeath
04-21-2013, 11:24 PM
I agree and disagree at the same time. The devs do a great job at keeping us notified, and even the executive producer releases incredibly honest blog posts.

BUT at the same time...I wish the community manager would reply to threads more often. There are days when they don't post at all.
So, you don't think the CM should EVER get a day off? Just because they were working seven days/week during the first two weeks they should ALWAYS be in here? That's not a very realistic expectation.

Taaltos
04-21-2013, 11:28 PM
LMAO!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

/smh

Blueandwhite87
04-21-2013, 11:29 PM
yes i agree with this thread, i hate being left in the dark,

Fiox
04-21-2013, 11:32 PM
A company has many positions.
What if I told you, that you donīt need the whole developer or programming team sitting on the forums to throw a quick update? That would be ridiculous, yes!

In fact you only need one person, who takes five minutes out of his day to do as OP suggests. It is really not that hard now, is it?

I donīt know why people always assume that we are demanding the whole ****ing company to stand ready and comment on anything at all times.

You make it sound as if Trion has 5 employees which are sitting behind screens ever since the launch w/o any break.
Please get some sense and thoughts behind your arguing!

All OP is saying, is that he would like better communication from Trion on their official forums, where everyone in the world who is playing the game checks in for news and updates.

As annoying it might be for you to read threads like these, it is as annoying for us who have to deal with such complete pointless posts from fanboys, when asking for a ****ing update from time to time.
Also, all these guys coming to the forums, believe it or not, actually care about the game. Otherwise they would not be bothered with coming here and asking or searching for some help.

It is a cry for help rather than just a rant to piss people off.

They have a bit more important things than posting on the forum after every big bug break I'm sure it will be mentioned in either the exec producers next blog or by someone but give them time is my point the fact that you think they can magically have 5 minutes to post without having to go through someone to make sure its ok to post. It's just like on the livestream when they have to glance over or stutter through a question because their hands are tied due to ndas and what not same applies to the ppl who post on the forum. I'm just tired of all the same complain/whine threads all over the forums you can barely have a convo about the game because it will be wiped of the front page due to all the incesseant whining/doomsaying going on right now.

WalkerMcCaine
04-21-2013, 11:35 PM
How about the fact the PS3 servers are down right now and I see nothing about it anywhere, are the other servers down too. This is why people are frustrated, nothing on facebook, twitter or anything, just can't log in.

Fiox
04-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Ps3 is up Us wise dunno bout EU

Elandriel
04-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Huh.

It's an MMO. Engaging your players is part of the job.

Exactly!
I haven't played Wow, but this is one of the things that are missing in this game's CS. I am surprised at how many here think that Trion's bug fixes, patches and one line responses are a proper communication.

Taaltos
04-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Exactly!
I haven't played Wow, but this is one of the things that are missing in this game's CS. I am surprised at how many here think that Trion's bug fixes, patches and one line responses are a proper communication.

I've never seen engagement from dev's etc...from WoW. Ever.

Elandriel
04-22-2013, 12:47 AM

Your point being ...?

EdgeTW
04-23-2013, 12:21 PM

That's weird, considering I easily grabbed two random examples from Blizzard's dev tracker and posted them one page back..

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?46695-Trion-we-need-better-communication-from-YOU-to-US&p=420040&viewfull=1#post420040

It's almost like you're not even trying to look. I call that the "head in the sand" approach.

Scrincer
04-23-2013, 12:28 PM
I love this game but I do agree it would be nice to hear whats being worked and the vision for the game going ahead.

+1

A roadmap or something would be appreciated

OGkush
04-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Just give us more updates, let us know whats going on with the game.
It would be nice if we knew if all the bugs were complaining about are even in the process of being fixed.

Sargonnax
04-23-2013, 12:52 PM
I mean no disrespect to anyone here on either side of the fence, but the fact is Trion was absolutely horrid when it came to communication when Rift was launched and afterwards, so I highly doubt you will get anything different with Defiance. They have absolutely poor communications. As a PM, comms are very important in all directions. With Trion not communicating to us, the internal comms one would think are just as fubar. The forums are just as horrid as a communication tool, in game comms are non-existant, so it comes to no surprise to me whatsoever based on past experience with Rift, and current comms that Trion doesn't care at all about communications in any direction. I actually feel quite sorry for the PM's on staff there....especially those who took the time to get their PMP cert../shrug

You and I must have played a different game. Rift up to Storm Legions release had some of the best communication Ive seen in a MMO. The community managers and developers were excited to talk to you about the game and the future of the game. Their excitement made me want to play the game more. Then they laid off a big chunk of the Rift team after Storm Legion and its been like a cemetery ever since. Sledgeammer does respond here on the Defiance forums quite a bit, but that's one person in a sea of endless posts. Trions current business model seems to be do more with less staff.

Viryu
04-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Oooooh, a whole thread dedicated to my biggest and most often repeated complain, how lovely. Yesh, it's really sad how little communication Staff x Players there is, especially on the forum. Just check the Dev Tracker section, barely couple posts a day. To those who compare Trion's activity to other MMO games - if someone does a bad job at communicating, does it mean other companies have to take example from them? No? Good answer. Gaming companies should "engage players" like someone mentioned before, it always makes them feel respected, special, having attention, etc. Those = better rep for the game and the company. Frankly, I was surprised some gaming companies still don't hire dedicated PR or whatever people to dedicate their time to communicate with the playerbase on forums, tweeters and whatsnot. Or at least staff spending a reasonable amount of time on the forum with the members. Just that would reduce the amount of whining, including from me, by at least three fourths.

And if you need examples, take the PS3 patch for example. We didn't know when the PS3 EU patch will hit, just wild guesses from members when it will be after 15th. The only thread where a member leaked the supposed date of the next attempt to patch PS3 was 29th, but Trion came in, said it were false information (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?45361-PS3-patch-day.-The-29th.-(Subject-to-change)&p=412753&viewfull=1#post412753), closed the thread without giving us any info about the patch. After a bit new leaks came out saying the patch will be long AFTER 29th. Only response from the staff: soon. Riiiight. Sledge's thread in the PS3 section about future patches: "Patch 1.010 is required to get Patch 1.011 and 1.012 (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?47826-PS3-Patch-1.010-thru-Patch-1.012-Update)." You don't say. ETA 2014? I have all right to complain about treating us like stupid sheep. START COMMUNICATING FINALLY!!

I can ignore all the bugs, inadequacies, playing the game as if it were a beta, but treating people with ignorance is a big no no in my vocabulary.

Ryme
04-23-2013, 03:32 PM
My opinion is thus, if the common understanding is that information via 3rd party sources (ie. twitter, facebook, blogs, and streams) are supposed to satisfy the developer's obligation to inform players of occurring issues and updates, they need to start start including and linking those in the Dev tracker subsection, or some sort of real time news ticker embedded on the official site.

Players should not be required to scour all the various venues of social media for tidbits of information that relate to the operational status of the game. Such information should be first and foremost available through the official forums of the game's website.

Your doctor does not ask you to "follow" him to get your test results. Your car mechanic does not expect you to "retweet" him to find out what's wrong with your car. Players should not have to even know of the existence of a Developer's blog for an update on why their server is down.

chaosorb
04-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Honestly, there's no excuse. Someone at Trion should have "quickly notify player-base of game problems and post updates often until the problem is resolved," in their job description.

This kind of silence makes me wonder about Trion's competence, professionalism, and future; and do you folks at Trion really want your players wondering whether or not Defiance has a future? Or enough employees? Or commitment to customer service? Or. . . well, you get the idea, right?

If you don't have an employee available or capable of keeping the player-base informed, go hire one now. If you do, fire him or her and go hire another now. Ignoring player satisfaction will only lead to players ignoring your need for income.

Good luck with that bud. Trion has been silent on the rift boards - hardly a peep to their player base. I guess they're too busy working on:

http://trionworlds.com/en/news/2013/01/trion-and-xlgames-bring-archeage-to-west/

Haven88
04-23-2013, 03:41 PM
In the past, from my own personal experience.

A server is brought down, and rolled back when there is someone who has found an exploit, and then has done game breaking things with this exploit, so the server must be rolled back in order to fix this.

With this being a new game and all, I bet this is the cause, and would be the reason why they are not telling us about these exploits being found. They don't want other players searching for ways to exploit the game.

Haven88
04-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Good luck with that bud. Trion has been silent on the rift boards - hardly a peep to their player base. I guess they're too busy working on:

http://trionworlds.com/en/news/2013/01/trion-and-xlgames-bring-archeage-to-west/

http://www.archeagegame.com/en/

chaosorb
04-23-2013, 03:47 PM

I was under the assumption Haven that ppl wanted to read text and not look at pretty pictures ;)

Taaltos
04-23-2013, 03:51 PM

Woo! Thanks for that! Hadn't seen the sign-up screen yet!

*MANLY SQUEE*

Sparahawk
04-23-2013, 04:01 PM
The majority of you are full blown potato. They have a community blog right up there, read it. Also they seem to post regularly on what the word is and ya know what they saying? The bird is not the ****ing word. Were informed you're just stupid.

Rizaun
04-23-2013, 04:05 PM
+1

A roadmap or something would be appreciated

Yes! All we know is that there's new DLC coming, but we don't even know what are they really going to bring, which is why I haven't bought the season pass, I have no idea what I'm going to be paying for, it just says that the first one includes a new race, new vehicles and weapons and new missions, but that doesn't seem enough to keep everyone interested. The new race is to have people reroll and start over so they stay in the game longer? Are the new missions like, 4 story missions and a bunch of side ones that are just like the ones that we already have?

It's like if you started watching a movie and the first 30 minutes have been "meh" and someone just tells you "Don't worry, it lasts 3 hours", that doesn't mean that the next 2 and a half hours are gonna be great, they could be just the same and the first 30 minutes.

In RIFT, they let people know what the upcoming content is about over a month before it comes out, so people have something to look forward to. In Defiance, we don't know anything and what's included in the first DLC doesn't seem to be a huge deal or something that will change the game.

ten4
04-23-2013, 04:11 PM
The majority of you are full blown potato. They have a community blog right up there, read it. Also they seem to post regularly on what the word is and ya know what they saying? The bird is not the ****ing word. Were informed you're just stupid.

So what the **** is this forum for? Something to ignore?

LOOKS THAT WAY!

Well, I wonder when they will run off to the tropics with all our cash? Soon I bet.

Rizaun
04-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Well, I wonder when they will run off to the tropics with all our cash? Soon I bet.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37224229.jpg

ten4
04-23-2013, 04:18 PM
^ lol

Basically; 9 hour down time where result is boosts tick down with no credit time what so ever + some people's characters got screwed up + lost items + major roll backs. And it's happened three times now, lol!

Things like that, evidently, do NOT need any sort of explanation so they ignore it and hope we forget about it.