PDA

View Full Version : Grant Bowler apparently plays Defiance

Kid Kablam
04-22-2013, 03:12 AM
An interview with Grant Bowler. (http://www.eonline.com/videos/206421/grant-bowler-addicted-to-defiance-game)

Grant, if you read this, I hope to gank you someday in PVP. =)

But seriously, interesting commentary on the show.

Moosh
04-22-2013, 03:14 AM
of course he "plays" Defiance, how else should they promote it?....

Dirt Nap
04-22-2013, 03:18 AM
Who the **** is Grant Bowler?

Era
04-22-2013, 03:19 AM
I'll believe it when he reveals his IGN. Also, I love how he is accutely aware that this is a massive gamble that will either launch the melding of TV and games or set back the inevitable by a few years.

Archeus9
04-22-2013, 03:21 AM
Sorry im not buying this... hes too busy filiming and probably spending time with family on every downtime he gets, i highly doubt he plays... i dont buy it at all.

Chavez
04-22-2013, 03:22 AM

You know it took you longer to post that than to look his name up.

It also took me longer to type all this instead of just answering with- He is the protagonist of the Defiance show.

Fiox
04-22-2013, 03:22 AM
Why so he can be bombarded with friend requests and stuff every time he logs on XD. I know I wouldn't if I were him I would like to keep what privacy I had if I played the mmo of the show I was in.

Dr D Wayne Love
04-22-2013, 03:23 AM
Sorry im not buying this... hes too busy filiming and probably spending time with family on every downtime he gets, i highly doubt he plays... i dont buy it at all.

So people with jobs and families can't game now?

intrinsical
04-22-2013, 03:25 AM
During last year's comiccon panel, he spouted of a series of EVE Online player corporations as part of an answer. Its clear he IS a gamer and play MMOs. I'm not surprised that he also plays Defiance.

Anderson
04-22-2013, 03:26 AM

Because grownups with jobs and families who are also gamers is just totally unheard of in 2013 :rolleyes:

Era
04-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Why so he can be bombarded with friend requests and stuff every time he logs on XD. I know I wouldn't if I were him I eould like to keep what privacy I had if I played the mmo of the show I was in.
I didn't say he should do it. And I'm sure he has a character. But that doesn't mean he plays actively or at all. But like I said, I won't believe he's addicted to it until I see his 2k ego+ character in my inspect screen.

Tilarium
04-22-2013, 03:45 AM
Wonder what he was thinking when he played the missions with Grant and Irissa. I know if I were him, I'd think it kind of weird.

Era
04-22-2013, 03:48 AM
Wonder what he was thinking when he played the missions with Grant and Irissa. I know if I were him, I'd think it kind of weird.

I know what he was thinking. He was thinking, "That piece of shtako stole my crystal."

Anderson
04-22-2013, 03:51 AM

He was probably like "hell yeah, there's a video game me, I look like such a badass" until he had to run over and revive digital Grant Bowler for the fifth or sixth time and was like "they made me a total chump, get my agent on the phone, NOW!"

HansKisaragi
04-22-2013, 04:00 AM
I'll believe it when he reveals his IGN. Also, I love how he is accutely aware that this is a massive gamble that will either launch the melding of TV and games or set back the inevitable by a few years.

He already did and had to make a new one..

Era
04-22-2013, 04:04 AM
He already did and had to make a new one..

That's funny. Did he have an addict tier ego rating?

Cl Chaos
04-22-2013, 04:06 AM

It also took me longer to type all this instead of just answering with- He is the protagonist of the Defiance show.

wtf there's a show? :O lmao

Anderson
04-22-2013, 04:13 AM
That's funny. Did he have an addict tier ego rating?

To be fair he only said "I'm a little addicted" so naturally E! titled the video GRANT BOWLER ADDICTED TO "DEFIANCE" GAME!

Lollie
04-22-2013, 04:14 AM

What's the bet he'd be buffed with GM haxx when he did play ;) the guy just wouldn't have time to grind in this game.

I want Grant Bowler to put up a video of him vs Nim.

The gauntlet has been thrown.

Dirt Nap
04-22-2013, 04:17 AM
He plays as his character from the show. He's the only player allowed in the town of Defiance, which is why no one else has seen him in-game after the first episode missions. All he does is run his character around town drinking, punching mutants in the b-hole, and hookers. Not punching hookers in the b-hole, but doing them.

Anderson
04-22-2013, 04:20 AM
He plays as his character from the show. He's the only player allowed in the town of Defiance, which is why no one else has seen him in-game after the first episode missions. All he does is run his character around town drinking, punching mutants in the b-hole, and hookers. Not punching hookers in the b-hole, but doing them.

I want them to release this game. Now!

Gohlar
04-22-2013, 04:22 AM

Seriously, what bad marketing.

Then again look at how easy the game is and how little effort they put into it. They don't think much of us.

Atticus Finch
04-22-2013, 04:22 AM

It did seem like he was trying to sell it a teeny weeny bit too hard, especially this part: "I played it at E3. I played it at Comicon. I played it Alpha..."

Atticus Finch
04-22-2013, 04:25 AM

Then again look at how easy the game is and how little effort they put into it. They don't think much of us.

Bad marketing? The guy got interveiwed by E! It's not like he announced it

Atticus Finch
04-22-2013, 04:26 AM
As a gamer, I wish E! didn't cut out that whole part about his gaming experience and when he was talking about how he's a little addicted. But then again E! doesn't give a f about that..

Cheggers
04-22-2013, 04:27 AM
So he gets a few hours pre-release and the rest of us pre-orders didn't?!?!?!?!

Oh the evil that is Trion we now see how it is!..... lol

Gohlar
04-22-2013, 04:28 AM
Bad marketing? The guy got interveiwed by E! It's not like he announced it

Bad as in an insult to our intelligence to believe it. Or do you think this was all spontaneous? If that's the case than Defiance was made for you!

ANTIDEAD
04-22-2013, 04:28 AM
I'm sure he plays it. You don't have to play the game 24/7 to still be a fan of the game.

And you're still on the forum because... ?

Anderson
04-22-2013, 04:29 AM
I want Grant Bowler to put up a video of him vs Nim.

The gauntlet has been thrown.

That's no fair, bragging about how he totally beat Nim without dying on the first try like everyone else here does should be sufficient.

Atticus Finch
04-22-2013, 04:32 AM
Bad as in an insult to our intelligence to believe it. Or do you think this was all spontaneous? If that's the case than Defiance was made for you!

Some people are just ridiculous... It could be true that he's lying and that SyFy and Trion has encouraged him to lie to promote the game and TV show. But it's also possible that he's just really a gamer as well.

There's a post earlier in this thread on the first page that says this actor guy was on a panel (at comicon?) and he was talking about some clans or something on EVE online or whatever. So you think he researched other games to make it more believable that he's a gamer, too?

Paster of Muppets
04-22-2013, 04:42 AM

Ya know, I thought so too. For 3 seconds or so, before I clicked the link and found out.
The guy seems serious enough about his addiction.

Cutlass Jack
04-22-2013, 04:44 AM
First of all he said 'I'm kinda addicted.' Not that he plays it 24/7. He could be playing the game what a normal person considers alot, and not what a hardcore gamer considers alot.

Secondly, who else is worried about a 'Liz & ****' Episode for the game after watching that?:eek:

(edit: gotta love the forum filter for censoring the shortened version of 'Richard.')

Technodude
04-22-2013, 04:44 AM
An interview with Grant Bowler. (http://www.eonline.com/videos/206421/grant-bowler-addicted-to-defiance-game)

Even if he doesn't play it he gets paid to say stuff like that. :p

MAdMaN
04-22-2013, 04:59 AM
He could be playing it during downtime on set.

steadyhand08
04-22-2013, 05:14 AM
Director "grant stop gaming we need on set"
grant "I'm not gaming it's. ....research"

Cl Chaos
04-22-2013, 05:17 AM
Director "grant stop gaming we need on set"
grant "I'm not gaming it's. ....research"

lol

"dam them arkhunters and their rollers driving in the arkfalls"

Anderson
04-22-2013, 05:28 AM
lol

"dam them arkhunters and their rollers driving in the arkfalls"

Now I want to see a Defiance episode where Nolan has to save the skitterlings from being run over using only very stern lecturing and fist shaking.

Cl Chaos
04-22-2013, 05:37 AM
Now I want to see a Defiance episode where Nolan has to save the skitterlings from being run over using only very stern lecturing and fist shaking.

lol right "no you fools we need them to break apart the arkfall oooooooooo u kids"

Kyria
04-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the link, Kid!

I thought that was quite a nice pitch and I genuinely believe his enthusiasm. :)

Cutlass Jack
04-22-2013, 07:29 AM
It would amuse me terribly if Grant was one of the people trolling this thread. :cool:

Kid Kablam
04-23-2013, 03:04 AM

Don't slander the man. He can punch all the hookers in the b-hole that he wants to.

It would amuse me terribly if Grant was one of the people trolling this thread. :cool:

...or the thread starter.. :cool:

firetiger2k
04-23-2013, 03:11 AM
During last year's comiccon panel, he spouted of a series of EVE Online player corporations as part of an answer. Its clear he IS a gamer and play MMOs. I'm not surprised that he also plays Defiance.

Trion, please leave.

Cl Chaos
04-23-2013, 03:14 AM

lol omg right?

Buu
04-23-2013, 03:28 AM
Because grownups with jobs and families who are also gamers is just totally unheard of in 2013 :rolleyes:
Hey, you shouldn't be so hard with people living in caves for the last years.;)

Knight776
04-23-2013, 07:32 AM
There's a post earlier in this thread on the first page that says this actor guy was on a panel (at comicon?) and he was talking about some clans or something on EVE online or whatever. So you think he researched other games to make it more believable that he's a gamer, too?

There's a video of a live stream at Trion's TwitchTV channel where he and a developer are playing (well, the dev's doing most of the playing, he's doing more talking). At one point, he sees someone in game with a Band Of Brothers clan tag and reacts to it. It's pretty apparent a few minutes later that he, at one point, was an EVE Online player and pretty knowledgeable about the game.

Cutlass Jack
04-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Trion, please leave.

Be quiet, Grant.

CapN CooK 420
04-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Your link took me to some crappy celebrity news site with just more links to other crappy celebrity websites....

Riku_Kurosaki15
04-23-2013, 09:06 AM
It's not entirely unreasonable that he's a gamer. He's divorced so he probably has a lot of free time to play games. And I checked out a bit of that Trion livestream with him and he certainly seems to know what he's talking about. And I found it funny how he says he hates PC controls and is much better playing with a Xbox 360 controller. I'm the same way. But he's cool in my book.

Ensu
04-23-2013, 11:11 AM
So he plays computer games. Why the inquisition?

Skeptic
04-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Uggg... I need to track him down and get a few more of those rifles I already lvled that first one he gave me.

Kid Kablam
04-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Your link took me to some crappy celebrity news site with just more links to other crappy celebrity websites....

You may have missed the giant video in the middle of the page. And of course it's a celebrity news site; it's news about a celebrity.

K A S H I H A R A D
04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Uggg... I need to track him down and get a few more of those rifles I already lvled that first one he gave me.

I just want my god damn 270,000 scrip. MAKE IT HAPPEN MR. BOWLER.

Seth Winternight
04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
It's not entirely unreasonable that he's a gamer. He's divorced so he probably has a lot of free time to play games. And I checked out a bit of that Trion livestream with him and he certainly seems to know what he's talking about. And I found it funny how he says he hates PC controls and is much better playing with a Xbox 360 controller. I'm the same way. But he's cool in my book.

He's an actor and a gamer, safe to say he's one of the coolest people around here :3

urmurgurd
04-23-2013, 11:33 AM
so if he plays the game did he do the episode missions, and if he did would it be considered playing with your self

VonTreece
04-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Don't jump to conclusions. He's just promoting the game.

The chances of him actually having enough time in his schedule to even turn on his PC/Console is extremely low.

Just another celebrity endorsement.

Ensu
04-23-2013, 03:00 PM

The chances of him actually having enough time in his schedule to even turn on his PC/Console is extremely low.

Don't jump to conclusions.

Kid Kablam
04-24-2013, 09:29 AM

You're right. It all makes sense now. It's all a big conspiracy. It goes all the way up to Obama. Aliens are harvesting your weapons ingame and that's why they disappear! The Illuminati canceled Firefly!!!

wilks
04-24-2013, 09:37 AM

I have a job and a family, and I will always be a gamer too. :)

Firesprite
04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Actors actually get a fair amount of downtime between takes, etc. and there are a lot of actors who are gamers. Mila Kunis, for example, is an avid WoW player.

Insanityplea
04-24-2013, 10:00 AM
I wouldnt be shocked if he got in an hour or two of gaming on his down times. Gaming isnt only for lifeless sons of *****es like me or your average joe/jane with 2.5 kids.

The question is....is he any good?

Insanityplea
04-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Ah and..
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/07/13/defiance-grant-bowler-interview-comic-con-2012

google works god damnit.

I was curious if he dropped any other game titles or hints to being a gamer :p

Epton
04-24-2013, 10:15 AM
So people with jobs and families can't game now?

I dont think he realises, probably all of season 1 is already filmed.

3rdpig
04-24-2013, 10:22 AM
So he plays computer games. Why the inquisition?

Because gamers in the 13-20 year old bracket just can't imagine anyone who's older and has a job being a gamer. I'm 55, been gaming since Zork and the C-64, own my own business and have a family with two grown sons with jobs and families who are also gamers. My oldest son who's 26, married with a family took a week off work when Diablo 3 came out.

LurchUSA
04-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Seriously who gives a rats arse about Grant Bowler! :rolleyes:

The more pressing question is... Does Stephanie Leonidas play Defiance? Meeeoowww! ;)

cusman
04-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Wow... sounds like he really stuck it out not just as a player post-release but throughout the whole development of the game. I really hope that both show and game are financially successful because I certainly believe that the model could work well.

soarra
04-24-2013, 01:12 PM
I have a job and a family, and I will always be a gamer too. :)
this sounds impossible according to some of the posters here.
hope you guys realize most shows have quite a bit of downtime between recording.
i work 60+ hours a week, have an life outside gaming, planning a wedding and still have eg0 1750+ so if he plays cool, if its endorsement well thats his job.

Lord Marshal
04-24-2013, 03:33 PM
YOu do realize that unless they are working on season 2, then he is not on the set and has time to play since most of what he is doing right now is promotional stuff until they are ready to start shooting again.

I want to see Irrisa run over a few hellbugs and a couple of raiders and see Nolan turn to her and say, "Your driving has improved."

Snowranger19
04-24-2013, 04:10 PM
I hate to say this but.. promotion much?

Seriously, it is probably in his contract that he play it or say he plays it and make an account or something. Can you imagine if a NFL player said he didn't watch football? Or if the BioWare guys said they never played Mass Effect? You **have** to be interested in it if your involved in it, otherwise people say "Well the actors don't even like the show/game, it must be crap".

Also.. he is my least fav character so far, so I dun care.

Cutlass Jack
04-24-2013, 04:23 PM
The more pressing question is... Does Stephanie Leonidas play Defiance? Meeeoowww! ;)

She might! She genuinely sounded very excited about being in the game on one interview I saw with her.

kilo_bravo
04-24-2013, 04:39 PM
he should play him self that would be sweet

K A S H I H A R A D
04-24-2013, 04:44 PM

This is something that's definitely on my "do want" list.

Armitage
04-24-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm sure all the actors were exposed to the game. It's a huge PR op to have the show's stars playing the game at a conference. As for day-to-day, I'm sure they're all too busy with work/life. GB is actually on set atm, filming "Swelter"...for instance.

Vyshan
04-24-2013, 05:32 PM
The real question is... does he post troll threads on the forum like everyone else? :P

Kalanaja
04-24-2013, 05:52 PM
I somehow think he might be a Goon.....or Pandemic Legion.

Cyripax NeoPrime
04-24-2013, 05:54 PM

Im pretty sure they were joking. If not then theres just no hope for some ppl.lol

Cyripax NeoPrime
04-24-2013, 05:57 PM
so if he plays the game did he do the episode missions, and if he did would it be considered playing with your self
Hahahahaha!

Cyripax NeoPrime
04-24-2013, 06:01 PM
You know guys, tv stars DO have downtime. The guy talks about his role on the show like hes a huge fan of the show and gratefull to be a part of it. He obviously likes defiance. Hes one of the stars. They dont work 24hours a day. Ive seen papparazzi shots of stars playing mini golf, going to the beach, doing all sorts of things. Anything you can think of. Why do you guys think he wouldnt have any time to plY the game? Thats just ludicrous, the guy goes home at night and kicks off his shoes. If I was him and I loved working on the show id play the game as well.

Kid Kablam
04-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Right. I think it's extremely paranoid to believe the studio gives a **** all if they play the game regularly. I'm sure they exposed them to it early on on some level. I'm sure they'd be rightly pissed if Grant Bowler said at comic con that the game is awful (because that's pissing where you eat), but I don't think they would care the slightest if he just said "I don't game, so I have no way to compare it."

Everything's a conspiracy to some people.

Warhorse500
10-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Because gamers in the 13-20 year old bracket just can't imagine anyone who's older and has a job being a gamer. I'm 55, been gaming since Zork and the C-64, own my own business and have a family with two grown sons with jobs and families who are also gamers. My oldest son who's 26, married with a family took a week off work when Diablo 3 came out.

You tell 'em man! I'm in my forties, with a wife and a six yr-old; she was leaning over my shoulder last night asking me "Daddy, what are those monsters?" as I was battling through a major hellbug arkfall...us old guys play too!

crasher
10-31-2013, 03:35 PM
You tell 'em man! I'm in my forties, with a wife and a six yr-old; she was leaning over my shoulder last night asking me "Daddy, what are those monsters?" as I was battling through a major hellbug arkfall...us old guys play too!
Warhorse is almost as old as this thread, too. :)

Jester
10-31-2013, 03:48 PM
No zombie threads! :P