PDA

View Full Version : consoles made this game crap

bobinsen
04-22-2013, 03:54 AM
just a statment post your thought if u need to.

Demourer
04-22-2013, 05:08 AM
just a statment post your thought if u need to.

Consoles made the UI crap.

bobinsen
04-22-2013, 05:21 AM
the ui and chat system and the graphics.
also the fact that we will never regular patches because of how updates on consoles work.

WNxTyr4el
04-22-2013, 05:26 AM
I don't think that's necessarily true. Look at Bethesda and Skyrim. They usually roll out patches on PC first I believe then on consoles a few months later. So I think it'd be possible for Trion to roll out a patch for PC first then consoles later on. I'm not sure though so don't flame me if I'm wrong

Maximus Prime
04-22-2013, 05:26 AM
consoles made this game crap

This thread should be moved to bug reports section...
Mods?

Spookyy
04-22-2013, 05:54 AM
Consolitis killed the UI, FOV, textures and game/graphic options. Thanks for that 360/PS3 + lazy devs.

Demourer
04-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Consolitis

Sadly yes...*

Cutlass Jack
04-22-2013, 06:04 AM

More accurate.

But they'll be expanding PC graphic options soonish, along with making at least the chat section of the UI work more sensibly.

Vyshan
04-22-2013, 07:00 AM
More accurate.

But they'll be expanding PC graphic options soonish, along with making at least the chat section of the UI work more sensibly.

Unfortunately, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.
Fixing things tomorrow will cost you today, and such.

Munx
04-22-2013, 07:52 AM

wouldnt be to worried about that, most of the vocally upset are still on the forums screaming theyr lungs out in rage, and they'll still be here once its fixed.

bobinsen
04-22-2013, 02:09 PM
i want to love the game cause i love the tv series.

Jthreau
04-22-2013, 02:15 PM
I supposed I'm in the minority when I say that I like the UI. Can it be improved? Of course. Do I hate it? Not at all.

Cynical Jester
04-22-2013, 02:18 PM

Maybe not for you.. But they will for me as well as many of the review sites like they've done with every MMO since oh.. I dunno.. Forever..

Besides that.. I'm loving the game right now.. Yea.. it needs some polish..

All you see is the old cracked leathery boot.. I see the 3000$ pair of Alligator Skin Boots..

NakedApe
04-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Consoles broke gaming in general.

WhiteCell
04-22-2013, 02:28 PM
"consoles made this game crap"

Fact.

2013 and we are still using directx 9 and profile graphical settings. UI's requiring double clicks and not using 90% of the rest of the screen space in a menu. VOIP you couldn't disable and the only way to select a chat channel is via a key binding rather than the mouse.

Who thought any of that would fly on the PC as though nobody would notice or care?

OldDirtyGamer
04-22-2013, 02:40 PM
I've seen this argument with other games and MMO site reviews. Apparently, whatever an MMO site has to say is absolute; not! There are a few games that notable MMO review sites said would not last out a year which are well into their third or further along with more than enough content and community to maintain it. These were games that were launched on both PC and console as well...

The OP is welcome to his opinion but this game would not survive without a strong, vibrant console consumer base to help monetize it. That is the reality of how games like this are working out. Also, Trion should be commended for trying something new and bringing in stakeholders with deep pockets to help pay for the game's development. After all, if this is an MMO, no one so far is paying anything for subscription to keep the servers up and running (when, of course, they are running) nor are there any plans in place that indicate a subscription program is coming. This game is free to play in that regard without limitation (unlike, say, Planetside 2 or Dust 514).

The UI is mildly confusing at first but after a while I got the hang of it on both PC and console (I play both). It really isn't all that different an experience although some functions are better handled by the console as opposed to the PC. Most of the real bugs are tied to game play issues and network stability. I'm certain these will be worked out and since the PC code conversion is easier for the XBox 360 than the PS3, the XBox 360 and PC are pretty much on the same schedule in terms of patching.

As for consoles, realistically, to say they broke gaming would be ignorant. If anything, they made games much more accessible to far more people over a wider area. What is wrong is that many publishers put out games limited by only a few hours of actual game content but call that a game. Most RPGs on the early consoles ran roughly 70-100 hours of game play time from beginning to end -- now, the best we can hope for, on most games, is about 20-30 max and that is across all platforms, not just the consoles. Lazier developers and publishers rely heavily on online multiplayer to carry the entertainment value for most of the games that are out, most specifically those first-person shooters. If anyone wants to say that there's a flaw in the games industry, it is that more than anything to do with the hardware platforms...

Neokro
04-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Consoles broke gaming in general.

This.........

Personally I will never forgive them for what they did to Skyrim.

Dazz
04-22-2013, 02:49 PM
I would have been happier if the PC mechanics were more like traditional MMORPGs, or could at least be configured that way, with all navigation happening on the mouse and aiming/shooting etc done with the left hand.

Cistzelos
04-22-2013, 03:12 PM
I've had very few problems with the UI on the PC. But then I'm playing with a 360 controller. ;)

CrossTheBrij
04-22-2013, 04:50 PM
it's funny how if you're playing on a laptop w/o a separate mouse you can't even exit the game (the touchpad on this laptop and on my other laptop don't let you hold a key and move the mouse/click at the same time)

I'm sorry but that is the most ludicrous way to exit a game, press escape, hold space bar and then click exit...

Vargas78
04-22-2013, 04:58 PM
I disagree, i think its good that MMO's are coming out more for consoles. Though the interface is a bit clunky as a result and chat is not used that much, its not a game breaking thing. And chat is still quite accesible, but there isnt so much need for it in Defiance.

Travie
04-22-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm afraid having so many things broken (or hard to use) on release turned off a lot of PC gamers... including myself. I'll still log in from time-to-time, but not as often as I would be if everything was working well.

Tgreen
04-22-2013, 05:18 PM

The unwillingness to use each platforms perepherals to the fullest hurts the 'quality of life'.

Exodus2000
04-22-2013, 05:25 PM
I somewhat agree and disagree, I disagree the fact that this game is crap, its not THAT bad.However, I do believe if

consoles we're out of the way the game would be way better or they should have before launching the game "tidy

up" the game for PC.

-waiting on Star Citizen.

PseudoCool
04-22-2013, 05:30 PM
I've been pretty adamant that the whole "console port" feel is just amazingly heavy on the PC side. Then to tie in the draw distance limits, insanely stagnant UI, and overall "clunky" feel the the weapons loadout screens.. so yeah.. consoles made this a crappy port over.

Now.. that being said.. hopefully in time since we're NOT playing on the same server as the Xbox and PS3 folks are.. we'll get some "life improvements" for the PC side.. namely fixes to those things I mentioned above. Otherwise.. those hiccups are really just annoyances for some of us who've persistantly AVOIDED console gaming, like me.

I think the game itself is really fun, and the premise is awesome.. love the game play even.. but that damn ported in feel and console limitations on my PC.. ehh.. that's not going over so well with me :(

Wtflag
04-22-2013, 06:45 PM
PC user here. May I just share that PC players are the minority and without the console money, the budget and production values will be even lower?

But yes, we do have consolitis and the tight schedule due to TV tie-in to blame for that 5 click salvage UI and low resolution graphics.

I can't help thinking this game would had been much better if they waited 2 years and release it for ps4 and 720 instead. At least the graphics can be on par then.

skepticck
04-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Consolitis killed the UI, FOV, textures and game/graphic options. Thanks for that 360/PS3 + lazy devs.

all true unfortunately :(

...PC user here. May I just share that PC players are the minority and without the console money, the budget and production values will be even lower? ...

link ?

Santana Ortega
04-22-2013, 09:37 PM
I have no issues with the graphics at all. Just reminds me of Borderlands a little. The UI issue is huge, the game not functioning is a HUGE issue

Drev
04-22-2013, 09:38 PM
It's more the fault of lazy developers. It would be understandable if all platforms were playing together as it should have been but it's not the case. They could have easily implemented a ton of simple features on the PC version but simply chose not to. Something so simple as higher resolution textures could easily have been done without much if any extra work. I could go on but most of what I would say has probably been mentioned or is already realized. Trion has only hurt themselves immensely by not optimizing it in the most basic ways for PC.

NeuroMan42
04-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Compared to PC... all Consoles are crap. ;)

Wokka-wokka-wokka.

bobinsen
04-23-2013, 02:17 AM
annoyes the hell out of me that trion a company thats already made an mmo for pc fudged this one up.
the ui and chat system are crippling, never heard of a game where nobody talks to anyone ever unless you come into the game with friends.

i think the last straw for me will be there first expansion/dlc, whenever its released.
although the fact that the game is buy to play with micro transactions in it then the dlc is more money, kinda makes a subscripition service sound better.

Fiancee
04-23-2013, 02:18 AM
Consoles made you crap.. I think its not so bad.

Shootersa
04-23-2013, 03:10 AM
they should never bring out MMO's for console, simply because console screws everything up, the complex system that an MMO runs on (UI, interfaces, graphics etc. etc.) just cannot run on consoles, basically everything needs to be changed when making an MMO work on console.

i think Defiance has real potentional of being a very very good MMO if it wasn't for the console players.
unfourtunedly i think we will be seeing more of this in the future as the MMO industry wants to improve and reach out to more ppl then just the PC community, although that is possible i still think that they should have seperate game clients for console and PC, just to not screw everything up and make everything still playable (not that defiance isn't just saying)

you can also see the negative influence on the forums with console players, ost of them rage on forums about short content bugs and so on while the more expierenced and also the normal MMO/PC player knows that this is common and it can happen and that you just have to wait for it.

To anwser OP statement: yes i do think that consoles made this game crap or at least less better then what it could be.

Nani
04-23-2013, 04:13 AM
wouldnt be to worried about that, most of the vocally upset are still on the forums screaming theyr lungs out in rage, and they'll still be here once its fixed.

Actually you're wrong. They sticking for as long as there is no new game on market. When new MMO (Elder Scrolls next?) comes out they we'll be gone.

Oceanhawk
04-23-2013, 05:02 AM

Actually i doubt your statement will be accurate. Yes people will continue to play the game...for awhile. Soon however and by soon I say within the next 3-6 months the game will hit a point where the number of people quitting will be greater than the number buying. When that happens the game servers will go offline. When they finally determine that the sale of DLC's won't recoup the development costs the game will die. This is not a F2P game it is a Pay to play without a subscription. It lives or dies by continuing to attract new players.

PseudoCool
04-23-2013, 05:31 AM
Actually i doubt your statement will be accurate. Yes people will continue to play the game...for awhile. Soon however and by soon I say within the next 3-6 months the game will hit a point where the number of people quitting will be greater than the number buying. When that happens the game servers will go offline. When they finally determine that the sale of DLC's won't recoup the development costs the game will die. This is not a F2P game it is a Pay to play without a subscription. It lives or dies by continuing to attract new players.

Yes.. and I agree with the first part of your statement:

Like every other game in online history, you get that initial surge of players, which tapers off in the 3-6 month area. However, in a "pay to play" model.. that loss of surge players isn't really the problem. It's the loss of micro-transactions, since that's where the game company makes it's real bread and butter after the games been purchased.

Now.. do I think this will continue to draw new players? Oh yeah, I do. For how long.. who knows.. but I don't see it being a 6 month shelf-life on the game.. not by a long shot.

RoG Goat
04-23-2013, 05:36 AM
They've already stated that graphic improvements were coming to PC. Not our faults you didn't research the game before you bought it on PC.

Oceanhawk
04-23-2013, 05:38 AM
They've already stated that graphic improvements were coming to PC. Not our faults you didn't research the game before you bought it on PC.

Stand back everyone, Fanboi arriving with his witty retorts.

PseudoCool
04-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Stand back everyone, Fanboi arriving with his witty retorts.

Spoken with the true intellect of a naval aviator

Oceanhawk
04-23-2013, 05:59 AM
Spoken with the true intellect of a naval aviator

Thanks, I'm actually shocked you recognized it.

chaosorb
04-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Actually you're wrong. They sticking for as long as there is no new game on market. When new MMO (Elder Scrolls next?) comes out they we'll be gone.

True. This game will just be thrown onto the crap heap with the rest of the other failures; SWTOR, GW2, TERA-BLE Online, etc... Pity as it does have potential but I saw the beginning of the end when they partnered up with the SyFy channel. Let's be honest, that's not exactly the "premium" channel out there usually showing "B" class movies lmao!

Oceanhawk
04-23-2013, 06:56 AM
True. This game will just be thrown onto the crap heap with the rest of the other failures; SWTOR, GW2, TERA-BLE Online, etc... Pity as it does have potential but I saw the beginning of the end when they partnered up with the SyFy channel. Let's be honest, that's not exactly the "premium" channel out there usually showing "B" class movies lmao!

LOL! Also don't forget SyFy channel is also known for cancelling it's highest rated series in favor of wrestling. Because we all know wrestling is Science Fiction, right?

Krapoton
04-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Be thankful to the consoles, 90% of pc games (except the indie ones) are consoles games before.

Oceanhawk
04-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Be thankful to the consoles, 90% of pc games (except the indie ones) are consoles games before.

98% of statistics posted on the internet are made up on the spot. Sorry my good man but you are so wrong on that. Also maybe you should go out and look at the industry reports that show console game creation is waning in favor of PC games. Yes atone point recently Console games took the lead but the problem with consoles is that no matter how up to date the hardware is when it's released, it is behind the technological advancements within a year. This is why PC's will always be superior.

RavnStrike
04-23-2013, 07:25 AM
i think they need to give us a pc based ui with fluid chat commands and a mmo style ui hell the one they used for rift would be better then this crap pile they gave us

bobinsen
04-23-2013, 07:33 AM

that fact does sound like a load of shtako.

evrything hinges on the dlc being fantastic and game changing, cause that will soon be there only revenue.
micro transactions are way to expensive for the average player.

chaosorb
04-23-2013, 07:43 AM
LOL! Also don't forget SyFy channel is also known for cancelling it's highest rated series in favor of wrestling. Because we all know wrestling is Science Fiction, right?

Alien Wrestling? Wrestling in outer space? Attack of the killer wrestlers? SyFy is a joke of a channel.

Rhorge
04-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Defiance would be so much better off as a PC exclusive. The ancient console hardware must have taken out so much development time to optimise around.

Darkfyre
04-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Consoles make every game crap - except for those games which would not have been created if not for consoles (smb, zelda, megaman, metroid, sonic, etc etc..)

basically having to create games which will run at decent frames on consoles is majorly holding back the progress of game visuals and other fancy technical stuff that could be in our games - not to mention encouraging bad UI design

chaosorb
04-23-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm just wondering what moron came up with the idea to put an MMO on a console. They are either a complete idiot or greedy for more money or simply a combo of both.

It would appear the Einstein was right:

http://global3.memecdn.com/idiots_c_908453.jpg