PDA

View Full Version : Feel like im playing a Single Player, fix the chat please!

godpuppet
04-22-2013, 05:20 AM
Why?

Because the chat window is so small its hard to see new message and by most players, its ignored. I still haven't figured out how to use the voice chat system, as the controls window is unresponsive and blank. Anyone I do hear around me, all I hear is static or background noise, or as Im on an EU server, someone speaking a different language.

Make the chat window bigger, so that players cannot miss messages. Players will interact and communicate and this "single player" feeling will disappear.

What about Region or Help chat channels? So players can actually communicate from afar? I realise there's the danger of creating the "barrens" chat, but I think its better then having little to no communication whatsoever.

Story - Great
Cutscenes - Great
Missions - Great, if alittle repetative.

But I feel Trion really dropped the ball on communication here. But then tbh, any cross platform collaboration ussually does turn out to be lacking for the PC gamer.

WNxTyr4el
04-22-2013, 05:27 AM
They have said recently in a Q&A that chat and UI fixes are coming. As well as additional graphical options

Gabbro1000
04-22-2013, 05:31 AM
Story - Great
Cutscenes - Great
Missions - Great, if alittle repetative.

EGO Lady - needs an '****, I know what to do at an arkfall already' option.

Saraya
04-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Because the chat window is so small its hard to see new message and by most players, its ignored.

Funny that because a lot of players in other games use transparency adjustments or minimized UIs in order to hide the chat - yet they manage to remember to use it fine.

I still haven't figured out how to use the voice chat system, as the controls window is unresponsive and blank. Anyone I do hear around me, all I hear is static or background noise, or as Im on an EU server, someone speaking a different language.

The in-game communications is bad, and has been - known issue for a while. Use third party instead.
People using other languages is irrelevant.

Make the chat window bigger, so that players cannot miss messages. Players will interact and communicate and this "single player" feeling will disappear.

What about Region or Help chat channels? So players can actually communicate from afar? I realise there's the danger of creating the "barrens" chat, but I think its better then having little to no communication whatsoever.

There is no single player feeling - it's just the lack of zone spam 'Barrens chat' that makes you stop and question the peacefulness.
-All multiplayer activities have systems in place to facilitate them.
-The chat works absolutely fine in small or large window.

Help channel is welcome, IF it works like it does in Fallen Earth and is HIGHLY Game Master monitored where they mute or kick people whom do not actually engage in help/game discussion.

godpuppet
04-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Funny that because a lot of players in other games use transparency adjustments or minimized UIs in order to hide the chat - yet they manage to remember to use it fine.

I have said hello to 8 players today, one responded. Despite being involved in combat with all. Explain that away.

The in-game communications is bad, and has been - known issue for a while. Use third party instead.

With who? I dont know anyone. I havent been able to get to know anyone becuase they dont communicate.

There is no single player feeling - it's just the lack of zone spam 'Barrens chat' that makes you stop and question the peacefulness.

Quite simply, this game would be no different, if it were single player. Players ive encountered rarely interact.

Indeed, I would have thought well supported and thought out communication systems would be top on the list.

Wrong, in small window the chat is hard to see, and easy to miss, especcially exasperated by the fact the game is fast past and action orientated.

Large window you cant move and communicate.

Technodude
04-22-2013, 10:25 AM
The issue of bad chat interface has been brought up many times. It was brought up in CB then again in OB and numerous time on release. All Trion had to do was to implement a very single fix. Give players the option to keep chat window open permanently. That alone would have solved majority of problems. But all they did in this new patch was to increase the visibility of chat window to whole 10 secs from 3.

Bravo!!

Scarfe
04-22-2013, 10:26 AM
I have said hello to 8 players today, one responded. Despite being involved in combat with both. Explain that away.

With who? I dont know anyone. I havent been able to get to know anyone becuase they dont communicate.

Quite simply, this game would be no different, if it were single player. Players ive encountered rarely interact.

Indeed, I would have thought well supported and thought out communication systems would be top on the list.

Wrong, in small window the chat is hard to see, and easy to miss, especcially exasperated by the fact the game is fast past and action orientated.

Large window you cant move and communicate.

I agree. Surely the default should be having workable chat, and then if you want to turn it off/ minimize your window etc, feel free to do so. But personally I want chat features I can use.

godpuppet
04-22-2013, 10:28 AM
The issue of bad chat interface has been brought up many times. It was brought up in CB then again in OB and numerous time on release. All Trion had to do was to implement a very single fix. Give players the option to keep chat window open permanently. That alone would have solved majority of problems. But all they did in this new patch was to increase the visibility of chat window to whole 10 secs from 3.

Bravo!!

le sigh, -_- thanks for the info techno, shame, they really hit the nail on the head with rift..

Strontium Dog
04-22-2013, 10:30 AM

This is totally irrelevant lol. People ,myself included, set transparency to 100% in all mmo chat windows..because we don't need to see the interface.

We do want to see the chat though!!

Theres an easy solution to all this UI milarky on PC. Let players use UI mods and Trions 4 undergrads can concentrate on the console UI that way.

Vella
04-22-2013, 11:10 AM
The silly little channel selector has absolutely got to go, as well. Unless I am just not doing it right, in order for me to switch from area to group to clan, I have to hit control, select the color and then type. Yes, bringing WoW into this, why not simple /commands to designate your channel so you can leave the mouse out of it? Does this currently exist in game?

Insanityplea
04-22-2013, 11:13 AM
EGO Lady - needs an '****, I know what to do at an arkfall already' option.

She needs a mute button. Or an age appropriate filter. When other NPCs are saying "****" and such and the Ego implant is talking like a 12yr old....>_>

Also whats the point of profanity filters in this game when the npcs swear up a storm?

Oceanhawk
04-22-2013, 11:14 AM

People using other languages is irrelevant.

Help channel is welcome, IF it works like it does in Fallen Earth and is HIGHLY Game Master monitored where they mute or kick people whom do not actually engage in help/game discussion.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! I know for a fact you and I are not playing the same game. Calling a single line of chat test a communication system is like comparing two tin cans and string with a Cell phone.

Lorenzo
04-22-2013, 11:27 AM
They have said recently in a Q&A that chat and UI fixes are coming. As well as additional graphical options

Don't get your hopes to high on the UI and chat fix.

Oceanhawk
04-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Don't get your hopes to high on the UI and chat fix.

***sarcasm engaged**** They did fix it, chat now stays visible when you sprint!!

Koot
04-22-2013, 12:49 PM
The silly little channel selector has absolutely got to go, as well. Unless I am just not doing it right, in order for me to switch from area to group to clan, I have to hit control, select the color and then type. Yes, bringing WoW into this, why not simple /commands to designate your channel so you can leave the mouse out of it? Does this currently exist in game?

It's painfully obvious you didn't even try it, because it does.

Scarfe
04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
It's painfully obvious you didn't even try it, because it does.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't; it is still buggy. I have never managed to get /t working.

Brother Kavs
04-22-2013, 01:12 PM
100% agree with the OP on this one.

Stryfe
04-22-2013, 01:12 PM
The issue is that all things social in this game - trading, channels, clans, chat, VoIP are all very clunky, buggy, and not user friendly.

The easy fix to make this a proper MMO that facilitates socialization (instead of hindering it) are common in every MMO, and I know this was a lazy console port thing, but I still don't see how they missed it:

1. Chat box options: transparency, placement, multiple tabs, size, different colors for text all within one tab. As it stands, trying to communicate through the three channels is a total liability, and very difficult.

2. Area chats (aka zones). By region or however thy wanna so it. Right now, area chat is terrible

3. More voice options, namely, "push to talk" by default settings.

And so on. I'm gonna go get trashed on lysterine now

Good hunting to you all o/