PDA

View Full Version : Aren't most games repetitive?

Cerealkilla
04-22-2013, 06:55 AM
**Please note that I'm not saying Defiance ISN'T repetitive. It is. But aren't most games? I'm not trying to start a flame war, so please save flaming responses or take them elsewhere. Anyone that wants to have an open and mature discussion about this, please feel free to respond.**

I'm seeing a lot of people say that they feel this game is repetitive. The quests, side missions, arkfalls, etc. But really, aren't all games repetitive? Call of Duty, point your gun at guys and shoot em, maybe disarm a bomb here and there, or hold out until help comes. Halo, same thing, kill stuff. RPGs, christ, go kill this guy, bring this item back, rinse and repeat. Kill 20 boars and bring their hooves, kill 20 wolves and bring me their tails. Sports games, Tiger Woods for example. Choose a club, hit the ball, get it in the hole...then do that 17 more times per game. Madden, same thing, pick a play, run the play. I don't know about you, but in Madden I'd find 4 or 5 plays that worked every time and just used those. Repetitive. Heck, Mario Brothers! Run from left to right, dodge enemies, hit the flag pole, that's it. That's all there is to Mario. Lets see...OH grand theft auto. Same thing over and over. Drive to a location, kill some people there. Sometimes you have to plant a bomb, or steal something, or protect someone. Same as disabling a generator, blowing up secreters, and protecting technicians. GEARS OF WAR, go a certain distance, kill all the locust...rinse and repeat. God of War, keep mashing X (or square) until everything is dead. I could go on and on, but I've got stuff to do.

Grit
04-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Hope ya feel better after that vent :D

1. Arkfalls.. i don't even go to them anymore well atleast the one Hellbug Arkfall
2. Instances...i drive past most of them anymore because well they don't give me much of anything other than XP
3. Sidemissions, i'm working on these now

Darkane
04-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Some games are more inventive in their missions. One that springs to mind is saints row two and three. Albeit slightly silly but a vast array of cleverly designed missions.

As much as I love defiance the missions are... Go here, press x, fight monsters. I don't find the game boring but it feels like a system was coded where missions could quickly be added using a template, rather than each one being a unique experience.

Some variety, twists and innovation on the missions would go a long way to endearing this game to players and reviewers.

Cerealkilla
04-22-2013, 07:17 AM
I played Saints Row 2 and 3. Loved them both a great deal. But it was the same, stuff, just different context. Like the poo-spraying mission. Steal a sewage truck, point the pump at your target, hold right trigger until its covered, then go to the next target. Same with the fire truck, except you sprayed water instead of poo.

I suppose the mechanics are the same in most shooting games (go here, kill this, hold this button, repeat) but the context in which the mechanics are carried out could be varied more.

Draaconis
04-22-2013, 07:20 AM
All games are repetitive in some way or another. The repetition is just something to give the whiners something to complain about.

nickpeck
04-22-2013, 07:21 AM
MMO's are repetitive by nature as it's always the same general things to do. Just how they are built :)

RoG Goat
04-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Yes, but not as repetitive as this one.

MagellanD
04-22-2013, 08:01 AM
While I agree with the OP. The most things that are repetitive in this game is a bug preventing you from finishing or completing your goals.

Facade
04-22-2013, 08:13 AM
I can't find it but someone had a really great explanation to someone bringing up the "but all games are repetitive" comment. There's no way I can remember exactly what it said but the TL: DR version was talking about how there is a difference between being blatantly repetitive and a game being repetitive but being able to hide it and make it fun.

REiiGN15
04-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Hope ya feel better after that vent :D

1. Arkfalls.. i don't even go to them anymore well atleast the one Hellbug Arkfall
2. Instances...i drive past most of them anymore because well they don't give me much of anything other than XP
3. Sidemissions, i'm working on these now

1. Arkfalls are for keycodes. Even getting top billing means nothing. Done it about 20 times now.
2. Instances are for EGO boost, I.E. the yellow bar, so you pave the way to faster EGO powers.
3. Sidemissions are good for free mods, minor scrip,and small XP.

All missions give you the opportunity to get EXP for your weapons that you use, and inherently advance you in Pursuits which if completed, will jack up your rank fast.

Pyth
04-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Games are repetitive.

People, more so.

The Tinka
04-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Assassins Creed. Now THAT was as repetitive as Pong. Showing my age now!