PDA

View Full Version : Things I like/Hate currently in the game

MechPilot
12-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Since the new press frenzy hit ( about damn time), im glad to see alot more gameplay going on and trailers. However with more gameplay comes more chances to see things that Irk the Hell out of me. Keep in mind all of this is from a personal standpoint so you may or may not share the same feelings.

Issue #1: Vehicle spawning.

Now I'm as much of a gamer as the next guy, but this "instant 500lb ATV out of thin air" Is driving me nuts. For me it just adds a layer of silliness that should be avoided, I mean even the most casual of games will require you to at least remember where you parked. I understand Trion wants me and other players to be able to get back in the fight as soon as possible, but I don't think holding our hands and removing all consequences for you dieing then re-spawning or getting separated from your group during the action.

Also it ruins things on a (Lore) scale. If human beings could could summon objects of various material and mass from just the power of their mind, how the hell did we lose a war with aliens? lol

Issue #2: Red-Glowie hands/arms

This one..I gotta tell ya. I had my fill with glowing/holographic limbs way back with Masseffect lol.

Issue #3: Grenade launchers

From the onset of the first gameplay trailer I had a bone to pick with this little fella. I'm not sure what the reasoning was behind this, but the Developers seemed to have internalized the idea that Grenade launchers are remotely detonated. Which to me is doing it All Wrong! especially with weapons In-game like the Mass-GL (ground pounder). The whole point of Of a multiple-grenade-launcher is to Blanket an area with explosives, Its a force Multiplier. If the player has to play "angrybirds-like" minigame with the explosive, where they have to launch the projectile, wait for it to fly out then remotely activate it. It defeats the purpose. Heaven help the guy that forgets to detonate the Inert rounds falling at the enemy's feet.

Issue #4 Unique/Multicrew Vehicles being Shadow war only.

To me this just takes to Fun outa livin. If my buds and I can't hop in a buggie or apc during pve, why even travel together?

Things I like:

Still absolutely love the Overall design and artwork of the characters and weapons. Its familiar but altogether original. The fact that you get vehicles from launch is also pretty cool, and that they are a mainstay in the game. Also verymuch dig the ingame cinematic, Some people can take it or leave it. I appreciate the effort to get the player invested in the story. As you can imagine my likes go on for a bit, but figured I would summarize things a bit.

Zalaris
12-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Issue #1: I have no problem with. I'm glad that I will be able to quickly and easily get my vehicle and move on.

Issue #2: I'm indifferent towards.

Issue #3: This could be annoying... or it could be good fun. I'll have to see how it plays.

Issue #4: I think it would be great to have a transport (or any additional vehicles), but I'm ok with that being something that is perhaps added at a later date.

Plasma
12-19-2012, 11:38 PM
issue 1 all mmo have a mount that is 2-3 sec cast so having a instant form of travel isn't much of a leap
issue 2 i haven't picked up on this but i would assume its a buff effect
issue 3 i agree it should have a mode or only on impact that it explodes
issue 4 that would be a grate idea its just the guns on it may be over used

AmazingPatt
12-20-2012, 12:49 AM
1: Plasma is right . all mmo have some kind of fast travel and i find t a great thing
2: it too show your going in overcharge(i think that the name) i love that i don't see why complain =P
3: i think it will be good for setting trap ( encourage camping i guess) and good in pve . i think in a one on one vs assault rifle if you try to grenade launch him, there gonna be more chance to lose the fight (i personally will nerf it a bit but i love the idea of the gun)
4:i would kinda like use multi crew vehicle in open world pve . but i can deal with atv for now =/

Paladin
12-20-2012, 01:49 AM
Also, lore wise the "atv summon" is a part of transporter technology that was created after the Votan race began terra formation of Earth. We're going to see a lot more examples in game.

Shadinaxx
12-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Issue #1: Vehicle spawning.

Part of the reasoning behind "spawning" your vehicle, is that 1) there will be people that forget where they parked, or get distracted and lose it, and 2) keeping the vehicle there full time in an MMO is incredibly heavy on the server.

Issue #2: Red-Glowie hands/arms

Dont quite understand why defiance has glowy arms/hands, so I cant really comment

Issue #3: Grenade launchers

Grenades seem to me a more of a "I cant hit anything, so I'll pepper the place with AOEs, but I can see how remote detenations would be useful to cover a choke point.

Issue #4 Unique/Multicrew Vehicles being Shadow war only.

I think they said that at launch, multi crew vehicles would only be available in shadow war, where down the line we will be able to use them for PvE.

Rogue Roxy
12-20-2012, 11:00 AM
My only complaints so far are the lack of commands* information, and being somewhat swarmed by enemies when soloing in some places. Many times I've had to either run around to lose some of the mob so I can take them out a little easier, or simply leave the area. A lot of times they seem to respawn out of nowhere before I can manage them without being overwhelmed.

~ Roxy

* Edited to add: I only recently learned that hitting F allows you to strike with your unloaded weapon, and that EGO stands for Environmental Guardian Online. *shrug*

deusex2
12-20-2012, 11:08 AM
1+2 issues-meh, matter of taste.

3)Sounds good to me-no more noobstick spam.

4)Yeah, that does sounds silly.

deusex2
12-20-2012, 11:11 AM
My only complaints so far are the lack of commands* information, and being somewhat swarmed by enemies when soloing in some places. Many times I've had to either run around to lose some of the mob so I can take them out a little easier, or simply leave the area. A lot of times they seem to respawn out of nowhere before I can manage them without being overwhelmed.

~ Roxy

* Edited to add: I only recently learned that hitting F allows you to strike with your unloaded weapon, and that EGO stands for Environmental Guardian Online. *shrug*

Wait, what?! You're already playing?! Who did I kill for access?!

MechPilot
12-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Part of the reasoning behind "spawning" your vehicle, is that 1) there will be people that forget where they parked, or get distracted and lose it, and 2) keeping the vehicle there full time in an MMO is incredibly heavy on the server.

So you want instantaneous transport, With absolutely no consequences? That having your cake, someone else's cake and eating it too. I mean the game doesn't even have fuel economy. So perpetual running vehicles that zap out of thin air, its to be expected from games like WoW but I would expect better from trion. The "keeping it there would be heavy on the server" is Also incorrect. There has been a trick game development for a long time that got around this sort of shortcoming.

The game engine will only render what the player in the intimidate vicinity can see, not have an endless bank of fully rendered players, A.I ect. Just sitting. Game's like planetside 2 do this and many others.

Shadinaxx
12-20-2012, 12:51 PM
So you want instantaneous transport, With absolutely no consequences? That having your cake, someone else's cake and eating it too. I mean the game doesn't even have fuel economy. So perpetual running vehicles that zap out of thin air, its to be expected from games like WoW but I would expect better from trion. The "keeping it there would be heavy on the server" is Also incorrect. There has been a trick game development for a long time that got around this sort of shortcoming.

The game engine will only render what the player in the intimidate vicinity can see, not have an endless bank of fully rendered players, A.I ect. Just sitting. Game's like planetside 2 do this and many others.

Dont get me wrong, I abhore the easy path. However, having been a GM before, you run into people that DO expect and demand their cake, and everyone else's too. They lose their vehicle, they cry unfair. Go cry to Ford about losing your focus, I say. However, a GM has to deal with it, it puts a load on the ticket system that could be better used for other resources more critical. Simple solution: you as a player, imagine that you have parked your vehicle where it spawns, an make a "vroom vroom" noise as you pretend to start it up. Everything else is done for you.

On the planetside 2 scenario: Even tho they claim to be an MMO, they still dont have the same kind of load that defiance will have. I do like Planetside 2's vehicle system, but the controls are wonky, as a pilot myself, I expected the flight controls to be somewhat familier, not what they have.

MechPilot
12-20-2012, 12:55 PM
sigh* being able to only edit my forum post within 5 min makes things more difficult than they need to be...

Wanted to add one more Gripe

issues #5 Player Rolling/evasion

Ive seen where this road takes us, and its not pretty. Prime example is the game Warrock (old as dirt i know but still applies). Game also allowed players to Somersault out of the way of enemy fire, However players began to notice this method was slightly faster than running. What happens? You end up seeing an entire game population Somersaulting everywhere they go as a new mode of transportation. As a feature it makes all the sense in the world to me, but I think something like stamina should be added. Because instant spawning vehicles, and endless-rolling would be just too much.