PDA

View Full Version : Machinist starting LMG

Shawkr
04-22-2013, 10:26 AM
So I'm ego 150 roughly. And I got a legendary LMG with ego 129. However my starting machinist LMG has 400 dmg on it while this legendary has 204...

This legendary has great stats on it besides the damage. I've also noticed how every other LMG i pick up has roughly 200 dmg.

Why is the starting Machinist gun so damn strong, and will I ever find anything stronger?

Jestunhi
04-22-2013, 10:28 AM
There's more than one type of LMG.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuAXA8GRArcRdFZvOGxnTmtWZ0lNdkFaR0s5anNMc 1E#gid=0

Wynce
04-22-2013, 10:28 AM
The starting LMG is a SAW LMG. It may not be named that, but it is. If you find another SAW, it will have 400 damage as well.

You won't get one stronger in terms of higher damage. But you will get ones with better bonuses. Such as faster reload, higher mag size, and contrary to what I said, slight damage bonuses (Like, 3%).

Jack Johnson
04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Things have to be balanced with PvP in mind as well. So some of the LMGs that fire in accurate bursts have to do lower damage per round to be PvP balanced. This makes them crappy in PvE though. A lot of weapons have the same problem, being PvE gimped because they were balanced with PvP damage in mind.

Such as faster reload, higher mag size, and contrary to what I said, slight damage bonuses (Like, 3%).

Lol 3%. You can get stuff with +15% damage, or +25% crit damage (multiplicative mind you, so if your LMG crits for 1.8x it now crits for 2.25x). You can also roll multiple of these bonuses. It is possible to get a +25% crit, a +15% crit, and a +15% damage, and then add a crit barrel on there, and then level it up and get another crit bonus, and then get a set bonus for more crit bonus...

You can get massive amounts of extra damage. These things don't start popping up until I'd say 1500 EGO though.

Khufu
04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
You could use that first gun the entire game and you'd be fine.

Wynce
04-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Although then your LMG skill will never level up, as when a weapons EXP bar maxes, it stops giving points to the skill as well.

Plus, that starting LMG probably has no elemental damage, whereas the others may have fire, shock, biohazard, etc.

Jack Johnson
04-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Plus, that starting LMG probably has no elemental damage, whereas the others may have fire, shock, biohazard, etc.

This also. Corrosive nano effect is another +20% damage for you and every single other person around shooting the target. These things are all multiplicative, so you can start churning out absurd levels of damage if you get a stack of great rolls.

reciprocate
04-22-2013, 10:46 AM
If and when you get plenty of scrip (easily in the thousands). Go to the merchant on north eastern side of the map and buy Frontier/FRC SAW LMG's, they're green/uncommon quality, but overall probably the best LMG type to use with their solid dps. They're only 1000 scrip per usually, so you can buy some and use them to level your LMG skill up.

I did use this method to help level my LMG's all the way to level 20, though I found other FRC SAW's as drops to use as well, currently my favorite is a green one with Siphon. I actually bought the Purple Frontier SAW from Top Notch Toolworks using up my 200 rep earned with them, and I regret it a bit since there's no elemental on the thing, and I realized I can't get any Prepared Synergy mods from anyone but Top Notch Toolworks (and it requires 100 rep just in hopes of getting a mod to equip on the LMG itself).

Wynce
04-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Lol 3%. You can get stuff with +15% damage, or +25% crit damage (multiplicative mind you, so if your LMG crits for 1.8x it now crits for 2.25x). You can also roll multiple of these bonuses. It is possible to get a +25% crit, a +15% crit, and a +15% damage, and then add a crit barrel on there, and then level it up and get another crit bonus, and then get a set bonus for more crit bonus...

You can get massive amounts of extra damage. These things don't start popping up until I'd say 1500 EGO though.

You sure must have good luck. I'm EGO 2116 and have never seen anything above a 3% damage bonus (Excluding melee, and I wasn't talking about crit bonuses at all).

Jack Johnson
04-22-2013, 10:56 AM
You sure must have good luck. I'm EGO 2116 and have never seen anything above a 3% damage bonus (Excluding melee, and I wasn't talking about crit bonuses at all).

What lockboxes do you buy?

Shawkr
04-22-2013, 11:07 AM
wow thanks guys. Lots of good info here. Much appreciated.

Alcohol Fueled Brewtality
04-22-2013, 11:10 AM

You shouldn't give new players horrible, hoooorrible advice like that. What you suggested is probably the stupidest thing you can do.

greatdividers
04-22-2013, 11:18 AM
You shouldn't give new players horrible, hoooorrible advice like that. What you suggested is probably the stupidest thing you can do.

he didnt tell anyone to use that gun the entire game..... merely pointing out it is possible and you could clear everything.

the stupidest (lol) thing you could do would to use a birdshot pump the entire game :P