PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a Xbox360 controller for PC?

Skillmatic
04-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Does anyone use a Xbox360 controller for PC? If so do you prefer it over using the keyboard and mouse?

pct3ch1
04-22-2013, 04:12 PM
I use a Xbox360 controller for the time trials only. For everything else I use my razer nostromo and standard mouse.

Antomus
04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
I use a Xbox360 controller for the time trials only. For everything else I use my razer nostromo and standard mouse.
How does that work out for you? I use my nostromo on most games but it just didnt seem applicable here. I mean, there's only one "skill"...

TeeDak
04-22-2013, 04:21 PM
game is designed for 360. so keep that in mind. i use a controller. i can also use a keyboard. but i dont find either gives me a bigger edge and the controller is more comfy.

Isturi
04-22-2013, 04:26 PM
I was going to buy a 360 controller but now I am so use to the keyboard commands and mouse I figure why bother lol.

Deiphysity
04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Joysticks don't have the precision of a mouse. Joysticks move the cursor (or perspective, in a FPS type game) at a fixed rate, and don't allow you to stop the movement immediately, as the joystick has to move back to its original position before movement is ceased. A mouse, on the other hand, can move and stop at speed that isn't limited.

However.. for driving, joysticks are exceptional. Hence their use in aircraft.

Try placing 10 different icons on your desktop in varying locations. One in the top left corner, one in top right, one in the middle of the desktop, and several in random locales. Now try using a joystick (such as one on a controller) to quickly click on each icon in succession. Its very difficult to match the precision speed of a mouse.

If you can't move the cursor from icon to icon as quickly or precisely as with a mouse, then its safe to assume you won't be able to headshot a moving player as quickly, either.

Kingmoo
04-22-2013, 04:32 PM
360 controller for pve and driving. Pvp must be keyboard

Carsfanatic
04-22-2013, 05:01 PM
I use motionjoy and PS3 DS3 controller I have several 360 controllers that I can hook to PC but prefer the PS3 by far.

Antomus
04-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Joysticks don't have the precision of a mouse. Joysticks move the cursor (or perspective, in a FPS type game) at a fixed rate, and don't allow you to stop the movement immediately, as the joystick has to move back to its original position before movement is ceased. A mouse, on the other hand, can move and stop at speed that isn't limited.

However.. for driving, joysticks are exceptional. Hence their use in aircraft.

Try placing 10 different icons on your desktop in varying locations. One in the top left corner, one in top right, one in the middle of the desktop, and several in random locales. Now try using a joystick (such as one on a controller) to quickly click on each icon in succession. Its very difficult to match the precision speed of a mouse.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m141jal8Bj1rn95k2o1_500.gif

I'm sure there are people who can do better with controllers than most of us can with a mouse. Think about it, console players ONLY use controllers. You can get pretty accurate with that. When using a stick to mouse over a certain spot a good player can begin to let off the stick perfectly for it to land on that spot.

cypheon
04-22-2013, 05:22 PM
i use the 360 controller for everything except sniper rifles. may have to dedicate half the week to remapping and playing around with the keyboard commands and do away with the controller all together..

Common
04-22-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm sure there are people who can do better with controllers than most of us can with a mouse. Think about it, console players ONLY use controllers. You can get pretty accurate with that. When using a stick to mouse over a certain spot a good player can begin to let off the stick perfectly for it to land on that spot.

Console players only play with controllers because thats all they can play with. Console players also play with AIM assist because it's needed on consoles. And good luck doing quick 180's and 360's with bunny hopping pvpers with a controller.

Vargas78
04-22-2013, 05:36 PM
I bet if they got some players of similar skill on any shooter, one with keyboard/mouse the other with console pads, the keyboard/mouse would win. Likewise the pad team would win at a driving game or a beat em up.

IGN or Gamespot or some organisation/individual should put it to the test one day!

Mykre
04-22-2013, 05:42 PM
I use a controller all the time on the PC, Have found though it is easier to use the mouse in the menus.

Skillmatic
04-22-2013, 05:42 PM
But can't you increase the speed of your cursor while using a joystick? People who play CoD use the joystick and they definitely whoop peoples ***... doesn't seem slow to me at all when my friends play. I really love all the discussion gives me good insight on both sides of the topic. I was thinking of buying a 360 controller just to try it out and return it if I don't like the feel.

Strontium Dog
04-22-2013, 05:54 PM
LoL use a controller with auto aim on and tapping aim then fire with a sniper rifle and you dont need to move joystick much.

personally i tried and tried to use controller cause ive got bad tennis elbow but i just cant enjoy it :(

Strontium Dog
04-22-2013, 05:55 PM
I use a controller all the time on the PC, Have found though it is easier to use the mouse in the menus.

O.o using mouse and controller in menus is like chalk and cheese.

Mouse requires double clicks,bugs out etc.
Controller is one press and its done etc.

Taaltos
04-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Does anyone use a Xbox360 controller for PC? If so do you prefer it over using the keyboard and mouse?

My 13 yo boy does.

He's not good with WASD.

pct3ch1
04-22-2013, 06:45 PM
How does that work out for you? I use my nostromo on most games but it just didnt seem applicable here. I mean, there's only one "skill"...

I think the razer nostromo works very well with defiance. I got all the useful keys on the razer nostromo which I find nice. Now I don't have to take my fingers off the movement keys so I can change loadout's.

Arcuatio
04-22-2013, 06:49 PM
I also use a Xbox360 controller for time trials only. I use Logitech G13 and Razer Naga for everything else.

fatoldguy
04-22-2013, 07:01 PM

When I worked at Microsoft we were working on Shadowrun which was cross platform between the PC and Xbox 360, one of the major issues we worked on was pvp mouse/kb vs 360 controller, we had 12 people who switched off between the 2 every other match, and mouse/kb owned every time, we made sure we had people that played either pc or 360 as their main platform before we brought them in.

We had to basically nerf the mouse/kb control scheme in an attempt to provide some sort of equality, which pretty much killed any chance the game would do well on PC.

cypheon
04-22-2013, 08:12 PM
When I worked at Microsoft we were working on Shadowrun which was cross platform between the PC and Xbox 360, one of the major issues we worked on was pvp mouse/kb vs 360 controller, we had 12 people who switched off between the 2 every other match, and mouse/kb owned every time, we made sure we had people that played either pc or 360 as their main platform before we brought them in.

We had to basically nerf the mouse/kb control scheme in an attempt to provide some sort of equality, which pretty much killed any chance the game would do well on PC.

so you're saying its partially your fault i got a counterstrike re-skin with built in map hacks... instead of Shadowrun? (mind you, still one of my favorite shooters, but definitely focused on one of the weakest aspects of the franchise)

T9X69
04-22-2013, 09:16 PM
I use a controller every time I play. I've had no issues in PVP being dominated like most "PC Elitest" (So they call them) would say. In fact, with sensitivity turned all the way up, I have no problem doing very well in PVP. I've just used a controller for so long that it comes with ease. I can turn and aim just as fast with a controller as I can a mouse. I guess it helps back in the PS2 days I was a very competitive player in SOCOM. So TPS's come natural to me and I preform better with a controller. Ahhh I remember the fun times I had with that game. Played 7 years straight every day lol

kndust
04-22-2013, 09:22 PM
I use the 360 Controller because it is easier for to work since I had a stroke back in 2001 and my fingers do not work so well anymore yes I am an old fart since I am an original gamer

NeuroMan42
04-22-2013, 09:34 PM
I prefer Key/Mouse for most FPS games but I have found that 3rd person games are MUCH easier with a controller. Plus this game is made for a console in-mind to begin with. The only time I miss my Key/Mouse setup is sometimes when sniping.

Facade
04-22-2013, 09:56 PM
I use a razer orbweaver/R. A . T9 gaming mouse on ps3/360/pc but use thr 360 controller for the racing trials.

Mirimon
04-22-2013, 10:10 PM
consoles are not limited to controllers.. fyi...
on both pc and ps3 I use a mouse+kb+controller combo.. lets me have the speed an accuracy of mouse aiming with the smooth control and motion of standard ps controller...

Pantero44
04-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Console players only play with controllers because thats all they can play with. Console players also play with AIM assist because it's needed on consoles. And good luck doing quick 180's and 360's with bunny hopping pvpers with a controller.

FYI...NO!!!...NOT ALL console players use controllers. For those PC users that play console and prefer mouse+kb, they would tend to use a a device like this (http://store.xim3.com/XIM3_p_12.html). I myself use it on XBox, simply because the controllers tend to get too loose after a while or they simply have a turn issue associated with them: such as the XBox controller. Having this particular set up is AWESOME! it's like I never left my PC behind...;)

Not to mention...I have big hands and I can never get used to the WASD's movement on kb's and as for the controllers, they tend to be imprecise, for ME, when playing FPS's. I've ALWAYS used a Nostromo contoller(now G13) for all my PC gaming, and can't live without them and my XIM for XBox.

Yars Revenge
04-23-2013, 02:07 AM
For those considering a 360 controller for your PC, keep 2 things in mind:

1. Ebay is your friend. You can pick up a used 360 controller for pennies on the dollar.

2. Just in case you didn't know, a wired 360 controller will instantly be recognized by Windows. A wireless controller needs an adapter. And no, the USB charger that comes with a wireless controller won't work.

Personally, I like the keyboard for everything except the time trials. The 360 controller helped me get one medal higher than I could with the keyboard.

twitch reflex
04-23-2013, 06:41 AM

Im calling BS on this ive played Shadowrun for years on the Xbox and PC. Theres nothing to prove that the PC version is nerfed. I actually found that its easier to get head shots with the rifle and pistol on the PC weather your using a controller or mouse. PC has some kind of auto head targeting bullets when the reticules are expanded. Watch vid
http://youtu.be/j9iSzLaI9fw

Mysfit
04-23-2013, 07:10 AM

I use a xbox controller in my right hand and my mouse in my left hand....

Krapoton
04-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Xbox 360 wireless controller + HDTV 52" in HDMI + sofa = ready for the show.

Skillmatic
04-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Does the PS3 controller work as good as the xbox or is there compatibility issues?

Cistzelos
04-23-2013, 10:33 AM
I use nothing but the controller and I play a sniper. Haven't done PvP much yet and don't really plan to.

Deiphysity
04-23-2013, 10:36 AM

I'm sure there are people like that..

But just as an analogy or whatever.. i'm sure if you let someone practice with an oval shaped basketball they could eventually get good at dribbling it, but they will still be at a disadvantage over someone who uses a round ball.

A mouse has no limitation to its starting movement speed and its stopping movement speed, nor does it have any limitation on minor adjustments. They may be made as quickly or as slowly as the user moves his hand. There are no changes. Want to look 3 feet to the left? Move ur hand 3 cm to the left, slow or fast, and stop instantly. Its precise.

In my personal opinion, since thats all it is, playing a FPS with a joystick is like trying to race a car with a mouse. It just doesn't work out to full efficiency.

twitch reflex
04-24-2013, 03:40 AM
I use a xbox controller in my right hand and my mouse in my left hand....
I do something similar I play with the controller on my left hand and mouse on my right. I use the razer onza as my controller and deathadder as my mouse.

Skillmatic
04-24-2013, 04:19 AM
i donmt understand how u use the controller and the mouse at the same time... o.O

Scarfe
04-24-2013, 04:29 AM
I tried the 360 controller, preferred the kb/ mouse

twitch reflex
04-24-2013, 04:44 AM
i donmt understand how u use the controller and the mouse at the same time... o.O
The game let's you. I use the controller to move my character and the mouse to aim. The controller I use has extra buttons that I can reach with my left hand. I don't like WASD set up. I think its better to move with a thumstick and better to aim with a mouse. Plus it makes driving easier.

Liewec
04-24-2013, 05:48 AM
i used to use nostromo+mouse but switched over to 360 controller, took awhile to get used to the controls but now i love it :D

Skillmatic
04-24-2013, 08:28 AM
I see a lot of people like the 360 controller. Do you see any difference in performance during arkfalls or co-op instances vs using a kb/mouse?

TheFlash
04-24-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm competitive for damage/kills with my friends in Co-op maps. In most arkfalls, assuming I don't get there toward the end, I'm in usually in the top 7 for damage. I get plenty of headshots and critical kills. I don't really PvP. I use an Xbox controller and love it. Moving, rolling, jumping, and using a grenade is all more intuitive with a controller. I've used WASD for about half a dozen previous MMOs and also love playing on consoles.

The only thing that suffers with the controller is high precision aim, and for PvE in this game you just don't need that most of the time. You'll need a mouse for the reservoir chicken hotshot challenge, though. ;)

Racheakt
04-24-2013, 08:51 AM
The game let's you. I use the controller to move my character and the mouse to aim. The controller I use has extra buttons that I can reach with my left hand. I don't like WASD set up. I think its better to move with a thumstick and better to aim with a mouse. Plus it makes driving easier.

Interesting, I use the controller only for time trials. I am going to need to try this out see how it feels.

How do you have things like sprint, ego-power, reload, and grenade mapped?

I have an MMO mouse with like 12 buttons, i still use space and the shift to jump and run....

twitch reflex
04-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Interesting, I use the controller only for time trials. I am going to need to try this out see how it feels.

How do you have things like sprint, ego-power, reload, and grenade mapped?

I have an MMO mouse with like 12 buttons, i still use space and the shift to jump and run....
I use scroll up as my grenade click the scroll as melee, and scroll down if for switching weapons. Then i have two side buttons one is for push to talk on Vent and the other is my ego power. Everything else is on the controller you got to remember some buttons on the controller do multiple things like crouch and roll are the same button you click once for crouch and twice for a roll. For the controller i made left trigger reload/context sensitive, i made bumper crouch/roll, and i have and extra bumper button and i made that jump/extract. I also moved stuff around for vehicle i accelerate and boost with the mouse. Everything else is the same all the quick menus are on the D pad, click thumstick to run, press start for ego menu, and map is back button.

Mirimon
04-24-2013, 12:11 PM
this controller basically has the left half of a ps controller, with a pad and mouse on the right. move with the left.. shoot with the right= dominant control.

Facade
04-24-2013, 12:13 PM
this controller basically has the left half of a ps controller, with a pad and mouse on the right. move with the left.. shoot with the right= dominant control.

Sounds like the XIM3/XIM Edge using the Playstation Move control. I couldn't do it, not enough buttons.

<3 my Razer Orbweaver

Mirimon
04-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Sounds like the XIM3/XIM Edge using the Playstation Move control. I couldn't do it, not enough buttons.

<3 my Razer Orbweaver

L1, L2, d pad, thumb stick+L3, and then the mouse control, (razor naga mmog and all of it's glorious buttons) that's 24 buttons plus a stick and mouse control.. alot of buttons are simply unassigned because it's more than adequate.

hellrex
04-24-2013, 12:17 PM
i rather play on my 68 ich flat screen from my bed so doing the pc thing with the xbox controler finally made some software that allows me to use my wireless xbox contoler for the pc so im good to go.

Facade
04-24-2013, 12:19 PM
L1, L2, d pad, thumb stick+L3, and then the mouse control, (razor naga mmog and all of it's glorious buttons) that's 24 buttons plus a stick and mouse control.. alot of buttons are simply unassigned because it's more than adequate.

Oh I know it's possible to do. Just not for me. It's just not comfortable for me. Use all my buttons except that wierd scrolling dial on my R.A.T9 mouse and most of them on my Orbweaver. Makes the transition so much easier when I'm just using that for both consoles and the PC.

Mirimon
04-24-2013, 12:20 PM
i rather play on my 68 ich flat screen from my bed so doing the pc thing with the xbox controler finally made some software that allows me to use my wireless xbox contoler for the pc so im good to go.

look at sig.. pc doesn't mean you have to play from a desk or a table at starbucks...

BlueLou61
04-24-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm on Xbox and use the Aimon XB Elite V (http://www.tuact.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=87&Itemid=91&lang=en) wireless mouse rather than a controller. I get a mouse with the A.B,X,Y buttons for aiming and a sort of Wii type controller for the controls on the left of the normal xbox controller. It's not perfect, but I find it far better than a controller.

(it does require an xbox wired controller to be plugged in - but not actually used)

The mouse can also be used on a PC, so I can use it on either.

maxila
04-24-2013, 01:44 PM

I'm a keyboard and mouse guy and always will be. I tried Dark Souls (pc) with a controller because of all the warnings I read not to play it with a keyboard and mouse. However after an hour I went back to the keyboard and mouse and played it through twice. I do recommend a gamming mouse and mapping important functions to the extra buttons so your keyboard hand doesn't have to stray too far from the WASD keys in combat (I use a Logitec G9).

Racheakt
04-24-2013, 01:48 PM

I tried the Naga MMO mouse, gave me hand cramps. I ended up using the Logitec MMO mouse, same number of buttons but fit my hand better.

I swear, there has been a couple of times the software did not detect the defiance executable and i didn't have my mouse buttons, compleatly useless; lost my fast access to rolls, grenade.... felt all gimpped.

Strontium Dog
04-25-2013, 10:05 AM
look at sig.. pc doesn't mean you have to play from a desk or a table at starbucks...

Incidentally why is your upload speed faster than your download (in your sig). Upstream should always be a fraction of downstream. What I mean is , i bet if you got that sorted your downstream would be faster :)

Mirimon
04-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Incidentally why is your upload speed faster than your download (in your sig). Upstream should always be a fraction of downstream. What I mean is , i bet if you got that sorted your downstream would be faster :)

not really sure at that moment.. I run a dual port, dedicating an in line and an out line.. techy stuff.. of note.. this town just got oc256, and have yet to regulate the consumer side bandwidths and speeds.. I pay $15 a month for what is supposed to be 15mb service... no complaints here!...

off topic.. funny thing about the cell processor.. the dream, when it was made, was to put one in everything.. tv's, stereos, networking cards.. anything and everything that turns on and could possibly send/receive/process data and communicate. From a tech/paper view.. what would have happened if every processor was a cell is this; the more people on the internet.. the faster it would go.. as each psu in the cell would perform specific tasks, and unused units would go to work assisting other cells elsewhere.. (like shared computing, but from a far more in depth field and capability. It's still an exceptional processor.. and both the major consumer cpu manufactures are following suit with their current and future multi core tech.. one day programmers will have no choice but to develop with that capability in mind.. which takes far more brain power to do.. they have a hard time of it atm.. just wait until quantum computing hits it big.. that will be mind-blowing..