PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the children and pets.

BrassRazoo
04-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Firstly I have not watched the show.
Living in Australia probably means we will get Episode 1 some time in 2018.
I was wondering if Earths population is now sterile.
Is it me or are there no children around?
The other thing I noticed was, apart from the odd Pow, is that there are no animals (not including Hell Bugs).
I am yet to see a dog or a cat or a deer running around the countryside.
I do hear the occasional Owl or something hoot but I think he is hiding from me as I can't find it.

jrydun
04-22-2013, 07:00 PM
The show had an entire settlement with families, children, pets, etc.

Natjur
04-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Episode 1 is available in Australia but not New Zealand, I watched it by getting satellite TV from Australia FOXTEL.

All cows, pigs etc are dead but we now have Pigcows. (Pows) (steak and BACON from one animal) I guess most other animals got killed (Hellbugs would kill most)

Plus the show is based in a city, and the game is in the waste lands.... Not many kids want to live out there (too dangerous) Raiders and kids.... not a good mix

jrydun
04-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Episode 1 is available in Australia but not New Zealand, I watched it by getting satellite TV from Australia FOXTEL.

All Cows, pigs etc are dead but we now have Cowpigs. (steak and BACON from one animal) I guess most other animals got killed (Hellbugs would kill most)

The future sounds better than reality.

djin
04-22-2013, 07:04 PM
You'll have to watch the show since what you mentioned about the whereabouts exist in St. Louis. Right now we know one thing in particular, children in games.

It's generally a hit or miss with this situation because of the potential well-being of a sandbox shooter allowing murdering of children. Perhaps however, that children are not able to be killed whatsoever. The other factor lies within the moral of shooting a child in the first place with a weapon. Games already get a bad rep as it is about violence etc, but the over zealous people out there make anything involving the death of children a greater deal than anything else.

Misguidance
04-22-2013, 07:08 PM
To be honest, none of the settlements I've seen in the game are places where sane parents would want to raise kids. I imagine most people with children have either gone in search of larger, safer settlements, or are keeping their kids locked up and well away from the raiders and monsters (and gun-happy Arkhunters) that are roaming the lands.

BrassRazoo
04-22-2013, 07:09 PM
You'll have to watch the show since what you mentioned about the whereabouts exist in St. Louis. Right now we know one thing in particular, children in games.

It's generally a hit or miss with this situation because of the potential well-being of a sandbox shooter allowing murdering of children. Perhaps however, that children are not able to be killed whatsoever. The other factor lies within the moral of shooting a child in the first place with a weapon. Games already get a bad rep as it is about violence etc, but the over zealous people out there make anything involving the death of children a greater deal than anything else.

Well I don't think you can shoot NPCs in this game.
Generally I was asking due to atmosphere.
Like when I got to a farm. I see farmers, male and female, they obviously live there but I see they have no children and no pets.
It's only a little thing but yeah the towns or settled areas do not really feel "alive" so to speak.

Denim Samurai
04-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Why are there no female antagonists? Are only men capable of being villains?

BrassRazoo
04-22-2013, 07:12 PM

I wish Cass was a villain.
I would have no problems popping her.

Misguidance
04-22-2013, 07:15 PM

I noticed this too. For a while I thought some of the raiders were women, but on closer inspection they were just skinny guys with purple hair.

Natjur
04-22-2013, 07:19 PM
I noticed this too. For a while I thought some of the raiders were women, but on closer inspection they were just skinny guys with purple hair.

New DLC, $50 to get women added ........ :)

zingy
04-22-2013, 07:20 PM
most games dont use child npc's

All cows, pigs etc are dead but we now have Pigcows. (Pows) (steak and BACON from one animal) I guess most other animals got killed (Hellbugs would kill most)

most of the animals and plant life were affected by the terraforming, whose that didnt died from viruses and new world diseases

Valethar
04-22-2013, 08:51 PM
New DLC, $50 to get women added ........ :)

But you can only play them in the Need/Want after sundown each day.

Natjur
04-22-2013, 08:54 PM
But you can only play them in the Need/Want after sundown each day.
Well if they get short of money, they could make that a REAL DLC and I am sure they would sell alot.

Defiance now with added **** for only $50

Thunderclap
04-22-2013, 10:50 PM

Plus the show is based in a city, and the game is in the waste lands.... Not many kids want to live out there (too dangerous) Raiders and kids.... not a good mix

Not true, episode 2 has birds

Arsenic_Touch
04-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Don't forget the chickens. There's rooster fighting outside of top notch toolworks.
I could've sworn I've seen a squirrel or something, might've shot it.

Tayxo
04-23-2013, 01:42 AM
Don't forget the chickens.

Chickens are almost everywhere in Marin, even on towers ;)
The cool votan rats that can be found in Mine 99 are probably the fashionable pets for rich east coast rebel teenagers.
I currently try to get a pet hellbug, but I have to kill them because they don't bring me my newspaper and always start to eat my left shoe if I'm not there.

Antomus
04-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Living in Australia probably means we will get Episode 1 some time in 2018.

Episode 1 (http://www.defiance.com/en/series/video/2639565)
Episode 2 (http://www.defiance.com/en/series/video/2639734)

Enjoy

Valethar
04-23-2013, 01:47 AM
Don't forget the chickens. There's rooster fighting outside of top notch toolworks.
I could've sworn I've seen a squirrel or something, might've shot it.

Down the road from Muir, where the 99ers spawn before you get to the mine. There are a couple of squirrels out on that dirt road.

Yars Revenge
04-23-2013, 01:59 AM
I shoot the chickens with my infector to make them into bugs that kill Raiders. Easy kill that makes deadly little bugs. I can just see the uproar if Defiance let you do that to children...

Memnoch
04-23-2013, 04:10 AM
I think the real reason why children don't get added to a lot of games is because of the inevitable child-killer debate. You have two choices:

1. Allow the children to be hurt and suffer the "child-killer" outrage of the loonies out there in Daily Mail land.
2. Make the children indestructible and break game immersion.

Or simply don't put them in at all. That and it's another set of models that someone has to be paid to make, texture and animate for no real payback.

For those that hand-wring and complain about children in game, why do they never complain about the millions of adults and animals that get killed in game every year!? Who speaks for them? Who I ask? :rolleyes:

dirtyklingon
04-23-2013, 06:15 AM
having children in a game can when added to other factors like language, adult themes, and violence, bump the rating up a notch.

think going from M for mature to AO for adult only.

khanstruct
04-23-2013, 06:32 AM
There are also rats, chickens, and I even saw an automated turret firing away at a poor little bunny :(

deltadeath93
04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
except for chickens there are chickens so we have pows and chickens now and fields growing nothing from what i can see and since were on the subject has anyone seen an outhouse toilet or shower aparently hygene isnt important in the future game wise yet on show i see the castians taking bathes the one race that needs to be rolled around in the mud lol. as far as kids in game as stated most games dont use them especially violent games tho saving timmy from a pack of hellbugs could be fun for a random encounter
most games dont use child npc's

most of the animals and plant life were affected by the terraforming, whose that didnt died from viruses and new world diseases

deltadeath93
04-23-2013, 02:03 PM
i admit to pow tipping with my charger lol

I think the real reason why children don't get added to a lot of games is because of the inevitable child-killer debate. You have two choices:

1. Allow the children to be hurt and suffer the "child-killer" outrage of the loonies out there in Daily Mail land.
2. Make the children indestructible and break game immersion.

Or simply don't put them in at all. That and it's another set of models that someone has to be paid to make, texture and animate for no real payback.

For those that hand-wring and complain about children in game, why do they never complain about the millions of adults and animals that get killed in game every year!? Who speaks for them? Who I ask? :rolleyes:

BrassRazoo
04-23-2013, 04:10 PM
has anyone seen an outhouse toilet or shower aparently hygene isnt important in the future game

I don't recall seeing any.
I have seen some nasty looking, green toxic pools in San Fran though. Perhaps the sewage outfalls are sent there.
Perhaps that's why all the pets are dead, drinking from stagnant toxic pools can be detrimental to ones health.

Ensu
04-23-2013, 06:36 PM

In the mind of every 99er are three words: I am SHODAN. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZMD_eCpEo)

Blackwolfe
04-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Episode 1 (http://www.defiance.com/en/series/video/2639565)
Episode 2 (http://www.defiance.com/en/series/video/2639734)

Enjoy

Well, that won't help as they are region locked. However.. https://mediahint.com/ or similar proxy plugins can remedy that.

cypheon
04-23-2013, 08:33 PM
ya know, i love the way you guys think.

"why are there no children in the towns?"

"because then people would kill them."

completely disregarding that you can't kill a friendly. heck the npc's can't even kill a friendly.. where is the logic behind this argument?

BrassRazoo
04-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Like cypheon said, that is why I don't see any harm in having a few kids with puppies playing on the farms.
I know it seems like a dangerous place but us "true" Ark Hunters are there to save them, with or without keycodes as payment.
And if I see some dirty old trench coat wearing 99er hiding in the bushes around the farm I will take him out with extreme prejudice.