PDA

View Full Version : Even after server patches and updates... I'm still experiencing some pretty nasty lag

SHaDoWeD_SiN
04-23-2013, 04:18 AM
I know the patch made a few hiccups which they're fixing, but wow... it seems the latency is worse now than it was before. I just jumped on after a week to give this thing a go, and tried doing one of the Hotshot missions only to find my character moving on his own after I've come to a complete stop. Example: Was doing Bolinas Sniper and moved into position against one of the corners on the tower and all of a sudden my guy takes 3 steps backwards. This didn't happen once, twice, but the whole entire round. So not only was I fighting the 99ers and trying to save the Miners, but I was fighting lag at the same time. @_@

Anyone else experiencing something along the lines of this?

EDIT: Also just found out my Roller's level got reset all the way back to 0 from the 40's. -_- Wtf.

Levi
04-23-2013, 04:38 AM
Thank you! Thought I was the only one and didn't want to say anything. I must say though, before the 1st big patch I was experiencing NO problems with connection at all (even with a shared connection at major ark falls). Now it seems I'm having similar problems to you, where the enemies teleport/glitch/lag/dissapear even when I have the connection all to myself and not doing anything particularly stress worthy (connection wise). Isn't all the time I have to say, but it does make me 'WTF was that?' every now and then.

Rancid
04-23-2013, 05:56 AM
I posted a thread here last week saying this very thing and all I got for replys were fanboys telling me not to be stupid and it was my fault I must have done something to cause my own lag because I am the only one getting it.

gamingreal
04-23-2013, 06:01 AM
i've previously had barely issues apart from extreme lag at busy arkfalls, wich i guess is to be expected to a cirtain extent, but ever since the 1.012 server update ive had loads of drop outs, shop menu delays/appearing when im just pointing at a shop and no noticeable performance boosts at all.

SHaDoWeD_SiN
04-23-2013, 06:03 AM
I posted a thread here last week saying this very thing and all I got for replys were fanboys telling me not to be stupid and it was my fault I must have done something to cause my own lag because I am the only one getting it.

I'm sorry to hear that, some people on here can be extremely arrogant. :/ I know Trion will probably go back and do something to help smooth things out a bit (as they've been doing a pretty good job so far when it comes to rolling out updates and keeping us informed), but until then I, like you and Levi wanted to make sure we weren't alone. Glad to see we're not!

Like Levi stated as well, before the patch everything was running smooth on my end, and all I mostly dealt with was the double and triple reloads. That was super annoying, especially when fighting the Dark Matter. Lmao. @_@

SHaDoWeD_SiN
04-23-2013, 06:05 AM
i've previously had barely issues apart from extreme lag at busy arkfalls, wich i guess is to be expected to a cirtain extent, but ever since the 1.012 server update ive had loads of drop outs, shop menu delays/appearing when im just pointing at a shop and no noticeable performance boosts at all.

Same. I had the lag with Arkfalls and that's due to the number of people that were there and the dreaded double and triple reloads. After this new patch and the server updates, it seems to have gone in the opposite direction. I'm just at a loss to what could be causing this.

nickpeck
04-23-2013, 06:06 AM
I know the patch made a few hiccups which they're fixing, but wow... it seems the latency is worse now than it was before. I just jumped on after a week to give this thing a go, and tried doing one of the Hotshot missions only to find my character moving on his own after I've come to a complete stop. Example: Was doing Bolinas Sniper and moved into position against one of the corners on the tower and all of a sudden my guy takes 3 steps backwards. This didn't happen once, twice, but the whole entire round. So not only was I fighting the 99ers and trying to save the Miners, but I was fighting lag at the same time. @_@

Anyone else experiencing something along the lines of this?

EDIT: Also just found out my Roller's level got reset all the way back to 0 from the 40's. -_- Wtf.

It's an MMO, just have to get used to it sadly. There will always be lag no matter how much they fine tune things. People also don't realize that even though you might have crazy fast internet up/down speeds, you can still have bad latency in your connection. There are a ton of reasons why the game bounces around (I get it too) and it's always a host and client side. Trust me, I'm sure their patch team is going full steam on a host of other fixes as we speak.

gamingreal
04-23-2013, 06:15 AM
Same. I had the lag with Arkfalls and that's due to the number of people that were there and the dreaded double and triple reloads. After this new patch and the server updates, it seems to have gone in the opposite direction. I'm just at a loss to what could be causing this.
Oh god those triple reloads were bad and put me off LMGs for sometime, i'm back on them but I think with lag issues ect.. assault rifles function better at arkfalls.

RowdyLaBear
04-23-2013, 07:00 AM
i havent had any probs with lag or connection since before the patch or after honestly, it might be your connection not sure.

blakefrz
04-23-2013, 08:12 AM
download disk to your harddrive from the xbox dashboard that fixed alot of lag issues i had previously worked fine since my friend said he had no lag before and he downloaded client and disk onto his xbox so i gave it a try and it fixed alot of my problems

gamingreal
04-23-2013, 08:20 AM
download disk to your harddrive from the xbox dashboard that fixed alot of lag issues i had previously worked fine since my friend said he had no lag before and he downloaded client and disk onto his xbox so i gave it a try and it fixed alot of my problems

Thats the second time I've heard that installing the disk helps performance, it doesn't make sense though because the disk is only there to install the game on the first play and too launch the game afterwards

nickpeck
04-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Thats the second time I've heard that installing the disk helps performance, it doesn't make sense though because the disk is only there to install the game on the first play and too launch the game afterwards

Yah I'm not understanding that as well considering the disc only spins to verify that it's there and is never touched again while I play and I only did the in game installer. Hmmmmm

SirBobbyDanger
04-23-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm still having bad lag, too, on XBOX 360. I'm not sure whether it is worse or better than it was prior to 1.010, because I did/do not get to play the game enough.

To reiterate what other folks have said, I essentially spend my entire time in Arkfalls reloading. I get pretty nasty lag doing PVE by myself, too. By pretty nasty, I mean annoying sudden deaths as the game times out long enough for mobs to brutilate me.

I have a pretty decent up/down speed, and I don't really have the same latency issues with other games (though I get the impression that the Xbox 360 slim's wireless card is cobbled together from junk parts). I have not tried running my 360 on a wired connection because the layout of my place makes it impossible to rearrange the router to patch directly into the Xbox (at least not without a 50 ft. Ethernet cable). Even if I did find a cable long enough, that would be kind of impractical.

Today, for example, I would think it is fair to say that I spent more game time timing out/lagging than actually playing.

Consequently, I just avoid playing the game, which is the best fix for lag I have encountered so far. I figure the experience will improve eventually.

SHaDoWeD_SiN
04-24-2013, 04:51 AM

I do this with all my games and Defiance was installed ro the HD on release. Its not my connection, or not having the game installed. Its clearly a server side issue and hopefully the server restarts and maintenence keeps it running somewhat smooth.

SHaDoWeD_SiN
04-24-2013, 04:57 AM
Yah I'm not understanding that as well considering the disc only spins to verify that it's there and is never touched again while I play and I only did the in game installer. Hmmmmm

It helps performance because the game is running from the Hard Drive, more power is used to run the game (more processing power and ram available since its not being used to run the disc tray constantly. Also, when reading off the disc tray, the speed will be lower meaning longer boot ups and loading screens because the disc read speed is limited.

gamingreal
04-24-2013, 04:57 AM
I install most of my games but since the game installs all its content on the 1st time you play the disk it seems pointless using the xbox's install game function, your just storing two copys of the game

gamingreal
04-24-2013, 05:05 AM
It helps performance because the game is running from the Hard Drive, more power is used to run the game (more processing power and ram available since its not being used to run the disc tray constantly. Also, when reading off the disc tray, the speed will be lower meaning longer boot ups and loading screens because the disc read speed is limited.

but the game only ever reads the disk for the patch install process anyway, if you had one of the the older 360s you would know this because you can hear the disk drive spinning wich defiance never does after the patch install/check.

Dont you understand the 2 or 3 huge patches the game installs the first time you run the disk are the game, if you look in game data on the hardrive those two big patch files are all the game reads after its launched