PDA

View Full Version : Wandering Hulker

GoldenSky
04-23-2013, 04:49 AM
I came across this guy yesterday. How the heck, playing solo, do you kill this guy? Needless to say I died often and decided to take him on him another day :(

Levi
04-23-2013, 04:51 AM
Shoot him until death :)

dejarnat
04-23-2013, 04:51 AM
Was it the one in Salsalito by all the raiders and hellbugs, by the turret? If so, dodge and dodge some more. I also move towards the coast and bait some hellbugs up. They will attack/distract him which should help. Also the turret should do some damage to him.

SavageWolf
04-23-2013, 04:55 AM
Tip 1: Don't stand still

Tip 2: Just keep shooting

It's as easy at that.

GoldenSky
He was between Iron Demon Ranch and the farm down the road. No other enemies around, unfortunately lol

Misguidance
Dodge like hell, never stop moving, and aim for the bit of his chest that goes red after you pepper him with bullets for a bit.

dejarnat
04-23-2013, 04:57 AM
My suggestion is to use a Respark shield in any fashion because of the fast recharge. When he goes all bull in a china shop and starts charging, you need a quick recharge. This isn't because he is a fierce opponent either. This is because the game has horrendous hit detection and sometimes dodging is all but worthless. Even if you are 10 feet out of the way, the game will still register damage.

GoldenSky
04-23-2013, 05:01 AM
Dodge like hell, never stop moving, and aim for the bit of his chest that goes red after you pepper him with bullets for a bit.

I was doing just that and his chest never showed red, even as I was getting damage hit spots. He is way bigger than the other Hulkers I have come across in the game. Is there one type of weapon that would be more damaging?

Misguidance
04-23-2013, 05:03 AM
I was doing just that and his chest never showed red, even as I was getting damage hit spots. He is way bigger than the other Hulkers I have come across in the game. Is there one type of weapon that would be more damaging?

Yeah he is pretty huge. When I killed him I used a granade launcher to start off with, but that was pretty slow so I ended up running around like a madman shooting at him with a machine gun. It took ages.

Stimulant
04-23-2013, 05:04 AM
Well, personally I like to use a gun to kill him, but I suppose fire or a really contrived trap that ends with him running off a cliff are also options.

dejarnat
04-23-2013, 05:09 AM
I suppose fire or a really contrived trap that ends with him running off a cliff are also options.

While this would be funny as hell, I think the lack of fall damage would negate this plan.

Misguidance
04-23-2013, 05:11 AM
I kind of wish you could do that. Or else lure him into a massive Hellbug nest and watch them slowly tear him to bits, one skitterling bite at a time...

dejarnat
04-23-2013, 05:22 AM
Well, the one in Salsalito can also be shot by the mission tied turret, and there is a hellbug nest near him. Unfortunately, he also has some raider buddies not too far off.

jasper murtagh
04-23-2013, 09:09 AM
I tricked one to following me to small arkfalls. Most of the time I bravely run away!

Dodece
04-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Others have pointed out the most salient point about this enemy. Which is the same for all the enemies in this game. They are really all pretty stupid. If you are having a problem with one of them find a obstacle to play him off against. He will slam helplessly against a fence line, tree, or any other obstacles. While he is self pinning plug away at him. You don't even need to hit any of his very obvious throbbing weak spots. Those just multiply your damage. It will still take you a while to kill him, and to be honest there are easier real points to be had doing repeatable instances.

Voyavoda
04-23-2013, 09:27 AM
The first time I came across this guy was hilarious...I was like 'HOLY CRAP'...then he starts lobbing rockets at me :O

So I kept back pedalling...shooting and luring him down the road towards 'Last chance' gas stop... There were quite a few people shopping at this vendor at the time ... I agroed the hulker right into the gas station and chaos ensues.... lol He just barrelled his way right through the players shopping. Then we all spent 5 min. taking him down. The funny part is when you agro things away from their spawn point they try to scurry on back to their origin...watching the hulker do this was funny. We chased him.

The hulkers and bio-men remind me of Fallout... how awesome would a fallout MMO be?!

RLStroud
04-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Well, the one in Salsalito can also be shot by the mission tied turret, and there is a hellbug nest near him. Unfortunately, he also has some raider buddies not too far off.

This guy caused me a problem yesterday. I finally got around to doing that side mission and when I arrived at the last turret he was there. Normally not a big issue, but unfortunately a small Hellbug arkfall had also landed in the small open area near the raiders and either from the arkfall or the nest a monarch spawned. Needless to say I spent a lot of time flying through the air while slowly eating away at the hulker and monarch (who wouldn't fight each other for some reason, I was hoping they would).

So between the Raiders, captain hulker and a pissed off monarch I was eventually forced to retreat until help arrived lol.

RedScar
04-23-2013, 09:37 AM
While this would be funny as hell, I think the lack of fall damage would negate this plan.

Some of the posts on this forum are just lovely

Blue MTS
04-23-2013, 09:53 AM
I came across this guy yesterday. How the heck, playing solo, do you kill this guy? Needless to say I died often and decided to take him on him another day :(

Sadly many of these people replying to your post don't know that your talking about the Hulker that's much larger than the one on the road next to the turret mission. I found him once down near Bug 'n Chug, he was smashing hellbugs. I went through all my weapons emptying all the ammo and barely scratched the guy. I went back the next day and he wasn't there. I'm keeping my eyes open for the guy because I want to get all my clanmates(which don't believe he exists) together to take him down. Add me so if either of us find him again we can pull our resources to take him down. On a side note, later the same day I found him, I ran across a solo Scrapper Forge, next valley over, and was way tougher than normal Forges but seemed normal size.
GT: Blue MTS
Clan Fallen Ones (Founder)

Grit
04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
This guy caused me a problem yesterday. I finally got around to doing that side mission and when I arrived at the last turret he was there. Normally not a big issue, but unfortunately a small Hellbug arkfall had also landed in the small open area near the raiders and either from the arkfall or the nest a monarch spawned. Needless to say I spent a lot of time flying through the air while slowly eating away at the hulker and monarch (who wouldn't fight each other for some reason, I was hoping they would).

So between the Raiders, captain hulker and a pissed off monarch I was eventually forced to retreat until help arrived lol.

Dang...wish i was around for that one..i woulda screamed into battle with my Quad of Justice

GoldenSky
04-23-2013, 11:50 AM
@ Blue MTS...yes! That is the one. I haven't come across him again yet lol
To those that haven't seen him yet...he is huge, no red hit spots, lobs grenades at you and good luck LOL He is not the average Hulker we have all come across so far in the game.

Thanks everyone I sure enjoyed some of your posts :)